• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's Blow Stuff Up: A Guide to Crash Bomb

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I'd like to start by apologizing for how long this thread has taken to make, but hey, better late than never right? I also want to point out that this guide is made in a rather unique format, and I will use different fonts to differentiate the different speakers.

I am also going to edit video examples of all of this into the thread later because I am having trouble with recording and video editing and I have held up this thread too long as it is.

Anyway on to the meat of the matter:

_________

I have heard some people call Crash bomb a sub-par move. In my country, we have a word that describes this type of people: Wrong.

As luck would have it, we have with us a crash bomb expert to explain the intricacies of this move. Upon hearing one of his fellow Robot Masters had divulged the secrets of the Leaf Shield, this robot decided to step into the spotlight and illuminate us about his weapon of choice. Please welcome Crash Man:

So CrashMan, our audience is dying to know, how do the Crash Bombs work?

Crash Bomb is a horizontal projectile that travels across roughly 3/4 of Final Destination's length and attaches to whatever it hits. The Crash Bomb is to all intents and purposes a sticky bomb and once it sticks to someone, it will stay attached for 3 seconds before exploding. During that time, the bomb can be passed to any other player it touches. I say "it" because the bomb physically has to touch a player to transfer.

What this means is that if the crash bomb is attached to a player A's head, then it will not transfer if player A punches or kicks player B. However, if player A headbutts player B, then the bomb will be passed. This is not limited to attacks however. Airdodging, rolling, running, jumping and even teleporting through opponents are viable ways to pass the bomb. Regardless of how it makes contact, the bomb will pass as soon as it touches another player, even if the player is invincible to all else.

When the bomb finally does explode, it has 3 separate hitboxes which together deal a total of 8% when fresh and degrades down to 4.25% when fully staled out.

For reasons I have not been programmed to comprehend, these hitboxes can shieldpoke. This makes peppering a shielding opponent with saw blades and lemons to allow the bombs to shieldpoke a very viable strategy.

The Crash Bomb's trajectory is based on a complex algorithm your feeble human minds are unequipped to comprehend, but as a general rule the crash bomb will send it's victim in the same direction that the bomb was traveling when it hit the player.

This basically means that if you shot the crash bomb to the right, then the opponent will fly to the right. This rule also applies when transferred from player to player though, and this is where it gets tricky.
If player A gets stuck with a crash bomb and rolls into player B from the right side, then the bomb was traveling left aboard player A when it transferred to player B, meaning player B will now fly to the left.

Knowing where a bomb's victim will go is an important tool if one were to use it to extend combos.

This move can also be stuck to almost any surface of a stage (Some ledges make up the exception to this rule). When stuck to the stage, the bomb cannot be transferred.

The Crash Bombs also detonate upon contact with NPCs such as Luma or Pikmin.

Finally, I should note that if the bomb is on someone else and only the last hit touches you, you will sometimes not be sent flying and instead put back to neutral.

Thank you for that detailed explanation Crash Man, but while I now know how the move works, I am not quite sure what purpose I should be using it for. Any chance you could enlighten us as to it's uses?

Your inadequate processing power is precisely why humanity will be overthrown by the Robot Masters.

My Crash Bombs are an invaluable tool that can serve a wide variety of purposes.

The first and most obvious purpose would be to force a reaction out of an enemy. When an enemy gets stuck with a crash bomb, they have to either dodge, pass it back or block, all of which can be abused by a smart player.

For example, shielding opponents can be pressured with jabs and saw blades to diminish shields for a shield poke. You can also run up and grab them while they shield. Rolls and airdodges are also much easier to predict and punish when the opponent is stuck with a crash bomb as it is bound to coincide with the timing for a crash bomb explosion.

Another important use is using the explosion to make moves safe.
For example, all the Robot Masters are programmed with data on how horribly unsafe Dsmash is. While it will kill early, it will also leave the user open for what must feel to you mortals like decades. This makes it an incredibly risky move for punishing rolls.
HOWEVER, using the cunning and wisdom my creator instilled within me, I was able to use my Crash Bombs to cover my ending lag and safely option select a punish. By timing a move at the time an opponent would need to roll or air dodge to avoid the explosion, you guarantee the opponent will be unable to punish you (Since they will be either in blockstun or rolling/airdodging).
Even being stuck allows you to make yourself safe though, for whiffing a highly punishable move right before the bomb detonates allows makes you take a couple % of damage in exchange for having an explosion centered around your body protecting you from a real punish. Trying to chase you after the Crash Bomb explodes is pointless since you can Rush cancel out of the explosion until 28% and that assuming you have proper knowledge of where you will be flying, you should always be able to keep yourself from being reached by the enemy.

On a somewhat related note, a dash attack against an opponent with a crash bomb on them is completely safe since shielding as soon as the dash attack ends will let you perfect shield the bomb and put you on the other side of the opponent's shield if they shielded. On hit you can watch how many times it transfers and if it ends up on them, then you get a combo off of it.

My crash bombs are also very useful for getting up onto the stage. When fired at the ledge, the bomb's explosion-

DID SOMEONE SAY EXPLOSIONS?

Mr. Torgue? What are you doing here? You're not even in this game.

*Sigh* Look Torgue, Crash Man and I were discussing the benefits and mechanics of Megaman's Crash Bomb is Sm4sh-

YOU'RE MAKING EXPLOSIONS BORING! I'LL SHOW YOU HOW TO BE A BADASS WHILE BLOWING **** UP!

FIRST OFF STICK A BOMB TO THE LEDGE AND USE GET UP INVINCIBILITY TO GO THROUGH THE EXPLOSION WHILE IN NEUTRAL! THIS GETS A FREE GRAB IF THE OPPONENT BLOCKS AND MAKES YOU UNPUNISHABLE UNLESS THE OPPONENT USES SOMETHING EXTREMELY DISJOINTED!

I was just talking about that! I call it-

IT'S CALLED A BADASS WAKEUP SINCE YOU DON'T EVEN %^#@ING LOOK AT THE GODDAMN EXPLOSION!

No it's called a-

BADASS WAKEUP AND THIS ISN'T EVEN THE COOLEST THING YOU CAN DO WITH EXPLOSIONS!

IF YOU ARE AT 40% OR LESS, YOU CAN GRAB AN OPPONENT WHEN EITHER OF YOU HAS A STICKY BOMB ON YOU AND HOLD SHIELD. THE FIRST HIT WILL PUT YOU IN NEUTRAL IN THE DIRECTION OPPOSITE THE ONE YOU WERE FACING ALLOWING YOU TO BLOCK THE NEXT TWO HITS AND FOLLOW UP WITH A BACK AIR OUT OF SHIELD!

THAT'S RIGHT, YOU CAN COMBO OFF OF BLOWING YOURSELF UP FOR ONLY 2% OF DAMAGE! MAKE ELECTRODE SELF-CONSCIOUS WITH YOUR SUPERIOR SELF-DESTRUCT TECHNIQUES!

Fool! You would purposely damage your flesh chasis? My programming does not allow me to comprehend the reasons to intentionally turn my weapons on myself. Instead I shall focus on the ability to use my weapons break shields.

Should you stick an opponent at mid range with a bomb, then you may safely start charging a Forward Smash. This smash attack will catch any roll or spot dodge, and is perfectly safe even if they jump since the explosion will cover you (And you may release it right as the explosion goes off to catch an attempted airdodge).
Should the opponent be scared by the smash attack and keep blocking, the crash bomb will detonate, lowering their shield. It is at this point that you must release the forward smash. If done right, their shield will break or be very near the point of doing so.
It is imperative to release the forward smash AFTER the crash bomb, otherwise the crash bomb will simply shield poke.

Speaking of shield poking, you can also do a Bair against someone's shield during the bomb explosion. if timed correctly, first 2 slashes of Bair and 1-2 hits of the Crash Bomb should lower shields enough for the last hit of Bair to shield poke and combo into the rest of the crash bomb. This combos into a Uair at some percents.

PLASMA AND LASERS? I HATE THOSE! LIGHT CAN'T EXPLODE! LET'S GO BACK TO BADASS THINGS, LIKE EXPLOSIONS AND COMBOS!
CRASH BOMB CAN BE USED TO SET UP AND EXTEND ALL SORTS OF COMBOS AND COMBOS ARE &*#%ING SWEET!

JUST LOOK AT THIS ****:

WHAT THE %^#& IS THAT? WHERE ARE THE BADASS COMBOS?

You witless buffoon, did you even bother to record them?

I TOLD A BADASS VAULT HUNTER TO DO IT AFTER HE WAS DONE BLOWING UP THE OCEAN!

...I see. Well we'll have to record the combos at a later time then. Would you like to at least offer up some combo notations?

AAAAARG! WHAT'S THE POINT IF YOU CAN'T SEE THE EXPLOSIONS?

Forget this imbecile, I'll handle his mundane task. Be warned that these are not ALL true combos:

-Between 0 and 40 percent: Crash bomb>Grab>Dthrow (This will transfer the bomb to you)>run forward>UpB (This should put the bomb back on them)>bomb explodes>Fast Fall>Bair.
If the explosion hits both of you do a Uair instead of a Bair.

-Between 0 and 20%: Crash bomb>Grab>Fthrow>Fair, Nair or Metal Blade. This one only works if the bomb does not transfer, so it depends on the opposing character's hurtbox and is inconsistent.

-Betweem 40 and 70 percent: Crash Bomb>grab>Uthrow>run forward>UpB>Bomb explodes>Double jump Dair>Fast Fall>Footstool (After they bounce off the stage)>Leaf Shield>Leaflock>Utilt.
At higher %s you can do a Uair instead of a Dair.
WARNING: THIS COMBO IS %^#@ING AWESOME!

Stop interrupting. Where were we? Oh right.

-Almost any percent/until Bthrow knockback completely negates Crash Bomb's knockback, which happens at about 140% if my memory banks are up to date:
Crash Bomb>Pummel (To transfer the bomb)>Bthrow (Transfers it back)>Bomb explodes>Jump (Or UpB at higher %s)>Uair.

-Pretty much any %: Crash Bomb>Dash Attack>Bomb explodes>Uair or Bair (% dependant)

-Crash Bomb on the ledge: Ledge jump>bomb explodes>Bair.

-Low %s: Crash Bomb>Thrown Metal Blade>Fair. If you are close enough to get hit by the explosion, you can do a Bair instead.

-Low %s: Crash Bomb Explosion>Dash under and Usmash.

-Crash Bomb stuck to an opponent on the ledge>Charge Fsmash or Dair.

This is all that I have stored at the moment, though I may update this list when I receive new intel.

Well thank you very much to both of you for all of that information. Do either of you have anything else you'd like to add?

My Crash Bombs are formidable weapons in the right hands. They allow for setups, ridiculous shield pressure, force rolls/dodges, stage control and generally put the opponent in a bad position while allowing you to remain safe on everything and anything.

AND THEY ALLOW FOR BADASS COMBOS! CRASH BOMBS ARE $%@*ING AMAZING!

Thank both of you for your input. Hopefully this thread will help Megaman players everywhere better utilize this under-rated move.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Reserving this post because all the cool people do it.

Also I'm going to use this post to keep track of any changes/updates I make to the OP.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I've been waiting for this, Fromunda. Really nice job, bro.
I think we need names for some of the techniques, though, as it makes it a lot easier to keep track of all the Crash Candy.

CB > Fsmash Shield Breaking. Maybe you should mention that the Fsmash itself can also shieldpoke sometimes when performing this combination?

I've also come up with another Shield Break (although it's situational and requires your opponent to keep shielding) :
When landing a CB at mid or fairly close range:
Fulljump towards your opponent with a rising MB thrown diagonally down towards him, then buffer a Fair that'll come out right before you land, then buffer an Utilt.
[CB > Fulljump MB + Fair > Utilt]
If they shield, it's a Shield Break every time.

About hitting ppl that are recovering with a CB. I've seen @SSGuy do this a lot in his vids.
We should call it Mail Bombing, for both logical and fun reasons.
@SSGuy , anything you'd like to add to this technique?

About hitting ppl that are respawning with a CB. I don't remember who "found" this, but I've started using it, and allthough it doesn't seems like much, it's CHEATING! It's like ~You don't get any Invincibility Frames upon respawning Vs Mega Man~.
You have to shield even though you're invincible. Mega Man doesn't care.
I suggest we call it Stealth Bombing or Ghost Bombing.

CB + MB Barrage
We all use this on occasion, and it's a good way to "Out Camp" Campers, since alternating CBs and MBs let's you throw projectiles at a very high rate. It can force campers to approach you.

Also, someone suggested Crash Slash as the name for Kamikaze Crashing > Bair, abusing the speed of Bair.
I think it's a fitting name.

Again, Mega Nice work, Fromunda!

Last edited:

uncaDon

Smash Cadet
Great thread. Just want to add a fun fact: you can "stagespike" someone with a crash bomb attached to the edge of FD or other stages with sloped edges, as the explosion will bounce em into the stage and then down. I've done it to characters with predictable vertical recovery a few times, and to characters who like to jump down after you to try to get a gimp kill. Not reliable, but hilarious when it happen.

E: It is indeed a stagespike

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Gotta love it when opponents shield right into a fully charged Charge Shot. Am still iffy over this vs. Danger Wrap (anti-air/reliable kill move), but I'll definitely have to try some of this out in For Glory.

If stuck to one's head, it won't transfer through punches/kicks? Interesting, probably doesn't help MM that much though giving his lack of the aforementioned.

I also noticed that you didn't mention that Crash Bomber sticks to opponents even if they're invincible. Which gives MM an option during an opponent's re-spawn invincibility.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
The good thing is that when ppl read all this great stuff, they'll get inspired and find even more new/semi-new stuff.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Oooo, I had never thought to use uthrow to UpB to restick a Crash Bomb and set-up for a follow-on dair or bair. Good stuff.

Great thread in general. This has a lot of good ideas and combo examples I hadn't thought of. Looking forward to people posting more potential uses and videos.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Thanks for all of the feedback. I have a lot to add next edit.

I did make a brief note that the bomb can be passed to an invincible target (Which includes someone in an airdodge, respawn or spot dodge) but I should really emphasize the respawn one in the next edit.

Also not related to crash bomb per se but hold on, Fsmash can shield poke?!

Anyway once I figure out this whole video editing thing, I'll edit the OP with the info in this thread and a Crash Bomb compilation/concept video.

Greward

Smash Lord
I don't think anyone should use crash bomb if customs are ON (dangerous wrap is freakingly good) but this is indeed a great guide and gave me quite some ideas, thanks for doing it : )

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
How Crash Bomb detonates on impact with things like Luma, Pac-Man's hydrant, or Villager's tree is so incredibly useful. It makes him that much more counter offensive against characters with "extensions" like that and takes away a lot of safety options from characters like that.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Yeah, I think Crash Bomb vs. Danger Wrap is really match dependent, which is nice.

Crash Bomb is handiest against characters "meatshields" like Rosalina, Villager, and Pacman for the reasons described above. Danger Wrap is probably the best anti-air tool Mega Man has, and as such is great against characters/players who like to jump around and bait attacks they can punish, like Mario, Marth, and DDD. Against characters who don't fit into either category it comes down to preference.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
For combos like the crash bomb -> Uthrow (Transfer bomb to self) -> Up B (Transfer bomb back to opponent), sometimes the bomb doesn't transfer to me during the Uthrow. Any tips as to when in general the bomb will transfer during Uthrow?

Ramzy

ROCKMAN
How nice it would be if we could remote detonate it. Like Duck Hunt's clay pigeon

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Throw combos (or at least the ones I'm using) do not transfer the bomb if you throw right away. For these combos you actually run past the opponent and Dair over where the explosion will send them.

The Dthrow always transfers though, so you do aim the UpB at them for Dthrow followups togive the bomb back.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah. I apologize, real life has been hitting hard lately, but I intend to finish updating/add the showcase video early January (probably second week), although I do apologize that it will all be 3DS footage.

Might also add a few other minor things at the same time.

juice.Zucco

Smash Cadet
Theres a sort of gimmick I never really developed with the fact that you can shield if you are below 40%. Dunno if you mentioned it in your guide, (its kinda hard to read lol), but since you can shield, I was messing around with just down smashing(any move technically, but I was trying to find more ways to use down smash at the time) right before it goes off and basically cancelling the enormous recovery the move has.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I do actually have that but thank you for mentioning it.

A pretty good use I've found is that this still works if you grab someone while either of you has crash bomb on you. Since they are air born when you grab them, they won't be able to shield but you can, allowing you to shield the 2nd and third hit of the bomb then combo into an OoS Bair (since the first hit turns you around).

Another thing I actually need to add to this thread us that if tines right, you can do a Utilt against someone's shield right as the bomb goes off. Due to the invul frames you'll only eat one of the 3 hits and be put back into neutral while the sweet spot Utilt hit box still comes out.
The window for this is pretty strict (feels like only a few frames), but it seems really effective since you deal ridiculous shield damage if they block, kill if the bomb shield pokes, and are safe on block. Hell you might even get a free grab on block or spotdodge.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I'll have to try some of these out!

You may also want to add that Skull Barrier completely negates Crash Bomber explosion damage. You're essentially safe from the move when SB is up, even when it attaches to you. Might be useful for some set-up or another.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Someone, someday. Will make a guide like this and Dave's leaf shield guide, for metal blade.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I'll have to try some of these out!

You may also want to add that Skull Barrier completely negates Crash Bomber explosion damage. You're essentially safe from the move when SB is up, even when it attaches to you. Might be useful for some set-up or another.
So does ANY reflector (that surrounds the character). So attempting to bash a Fox's shield with a Charge Shot is a very bad idea as Fox can just keep his reflector up.

ExigeOlimin

Smash Cadet
I had the CPU at a high percentage at one point (I think 134 ish) and i did something along the lines of Crash Bomb>Fthrow, then the bomb blew up and took out the CPU

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I dunno who has an Uthrow like Kirby, Meta Knight or Charizard but if they time it right they can Uthrow right as Crash Bomb detonates(if they let themselves get hit with it) and kill both players at the same time.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I dunno who has an Uthrow like Kirby, Meta Knight or Charizard but if they time it right they can Uthrow right as Crash Bomb detonates(if they let themselves get hit with it) and kill both players at the same time.
Yeah I do this quite a bit with my doubles partner.

...I need to stop being lazy and get around to updating this.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I like hitting the opponent when I am recovering as it can give you a free chance to get back on stage. Or stick it right at the ledge and use the invincibility frames to allow it not to hit you

Megaman11

Smash Rookie
That actually happened on stream the other night. It happened so fast but it was awesome.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Here's something you can do for a flashy edgeguard.

Stick a Crash Bomber on someone returning to stage. This will force them to either air dodge, recover to the ledge, or fast fall into shield (if recovering high) to avoid the explosion.

If they go to ledge, run off stage and ledge trump them. This will transfer the bomb to you while giving you invincibility frames and denying your opponents theirs. Usually the bomb will explode right after you trump, and the hitstun will give you ample time to drop off the ledge and DJ bair.

The timing is tough and it can depend on how quickly your opponent goes to ledge. But if you successfully pull this off for a KO as I did last night, it'll make you feel like a BOSS.

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Crash bomb saved my ass today. I crashed bombed back and hit opponent and he came out to gimp me and the ceashbomb blew right at the righy time and gimped him!

Top Bottom