• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Less Smashes

DrumBeater02

Smash Rookie
So I need help on how to work myself away from smash attack spam. I do a lot of smash attacks when I play and am constantly punished for them, any ideas on how to lessen my smashes.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Marth's tilts cover similar space and are a lot less laggy. Lower risk, lower reward. Try to replace some with those, or start grabbing where you found yourself getting punished because it's also fairly low-lag and beats shield. If they're just keeping out of range for dsmash or fsmash, insert some dashing.

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
Don't smash attack at all. See how different moves like dtilt or simply dash dancing are effective, then see where it'd be best to fsmash. For example, the fox is recovering, you can stop him with fsmash, you fsmash and the fox dies.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Similar to what Dandy_here suggested, I had the issue of fsmashing a LOT when I first started playing, and my solution was to, for quite a while, avoid using them at all, and then slowly work them back into my play. It's a bit of a difficult solution, but it's worth it.

thf24

Smash Cadet
I agree with the above two posts, although I wouldn't do it for too long. When I was starting and had this problem, I decided I wasn't going to fsmash at all for two weeks; it certainly helped, but then I found myself with the problem of not fsmashing enough (not doing so in guaranteed situations and such). What I recommend is set a given amount of time, say an hour or two, whenever you play in which you're not going to fsmash, then before you quit for the day, play some games normally. That way you can gradually ween yourself off of it without forming a counter-habit.

_Snover_

Frost Tree Pokémon
^Agree with all of the above. Getting rid of fsmash habits have helped me soooo much. Using faster options helps you use Marth more efficiently. I like to ftilt/dtilt when I would habitually fsmash.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
for how to use smahes, you could watch how PPMD and m2k play. PP, to my knowledge, almost never smashes unless it's guaranteed. m2k will use guaranteed f smashes if it's optimal and he'll sometimes run up f smash if he expects a retreat or something like that.

Top Bottom