• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legalisation of hardcore drugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I still am not following you, here. You said "And let's be honest, I'd rather have cops busting real criminals than someone who wants to feel happy." That is a ridiculous dumbing down of the issue.
What else is the drive to do drugs? What's the initial motivation?

Sucumbio said:
Drug addicts aren't people who just want to feel happy. They're miserable! They want to die inside. They're so chicken**** scared of reality they have to crawl inside a bottle, or a syringe. They're so desperate to escape life, they have to cloud their minds, numb themselves into oblivion.
Uh...? This is a really pathetic generalization of drug addicts. There are millions of functioning drug addicts — look at nicotine, alcohol, and caffeine — the three most popular drugs. Are all smokers "chicken**** scared of reality"?

Perhaps you mean hard drugs, but whatever, your generalization fails, so don't do that. You haven't expressly made a point in this paragraph that makes me want to take drugs away from them. What are you trying to say, that drug addictions are sad? Uh, okay..? So? It's sad when I see divorces. It's sad when I hear of abortions. Doesn't mean jack though.

Sucumbio said:
"I think the real crime is telling someone that they aren't allowed to do something because of social ideologies." More sarcasm and posturing. Who are you to identify social ideology in this context? How many drugs have you been addicted to? How low have you gone in life? You blatantly defile the hard price that people pay for their failings and misguided adventures, you dismiss the hard work and sacrifice that men and women die to ensure YOUR safety on a daily basis, and then charge ME with logical fallacy? Where's the "crime" here, again?
What? I'm not being sarcastic, and you're just getting emotional.

You questioned my use of the term "real crimes" and your method behind that was a logical fallacy. I'm saying, "hey, this "crime" is not really worth our tax dollars to be a crime at all", and you say "Wow it's a crime therefore it's the law". Do you see where we've gone? You're assuming the law; I'm questioning it. The social ideology revolving around hard drugs is that they are illegal and bad. There's a stigma. Though we can see that there are plenty of things in our everyday society that show a comical amount of holes in that view of drugs: the prevalence of alcohol, its legality, and its influence on the population. I could go on, but the fact that alcohol is the number one "problem" means I don't have to.

Seems kind of unrealistic that every single drug user will do these things, doesn't it? Sure, some people might go to those extreme measures, but do you really think every high school or middle school kid smoking marijuana is going to shoot a cop to get it? Moreover, if gang-related activities were legal, you wouldn't have as many cop shootouts, money laundering schemes, betrayals, associated crimes, crimes of passion, etc either, but does that mean that society would benefit?
I agree, the majority of users will likely never see the dark side of the drug industry. But let me just explain that there is only a dark side because of the illegality placed on it. If the industry was legal, there would likely be order and no reason to resort to violence or any other associated death.

KrazyGlue said:
True, but alcohol is much more available, much more used, and causes much more DUI deaths, not to mention other things such as domestic abuse and bar fights.
I agree with you. Have you been reading my posts fully? I'm citing alcohol as a reason why drug use should be legal. The allowed drug is fairly detrimental to society, but the banned narcotics become a felony. It's a double standard. Either ban both or allow both.

KrazyGlue said:
I just wrote an entire paragraph explaining why prohibition does not relate to illegal drugs today, and you completely ignored it.
KrazyGlue said:
Prohibition failed because alcohol has been so ingrained in human society and culture for thousands of years, and now everyone uses it. In other words, it failed not because of it being illegal, but because it was so popular. When other drugs were made illegal (rightfully so), they weren't popular enough to spark the same (unreasonable) outrage that prohibition did.
Why should popularity factor at all? That's just absurd. If the drug is destructive enough, then it should be banned, no? Isn't that what you guys are saying? Yet KrazyGlue you've already said that alcohol is easily one of the worst, but it's legal. Where is this going?! And the "(rightfully so)" ... where's the justification? Don't you see a link between prohibition and Al Capone and co? That's what's happened with drugs. You have South American drug lords that do things like Al Capone did. Prohibition is still alive! Nothing happens when we go to the liquor store. If in 50 years heroin is legalized, nothing will happen if we go to the heroin store.

KrazyGlue said:
Everyone wants their environment to be less stressful and judgmental. Even serial killers. So I'm sorry if catching people who commit a crime makes their life stressful, but they have to pay for their actions.
I'm trying to explain that drug users shouldn't be criminals and hated for what they want to do. I've never smoked weed, but don't you think it's rather ridiculous that you're smoking an "illegal" substance? It's all about ideologies, and if the current ideology is ****ing stupid, then you need to call it out.

KrazyGlue said:
You people are the ones admitting drug users commit "showdowns, money-laundering schemes, cop shootouts, betrayals, associated crimes, crimes of passion, etc.", but you keep acting like they're these innocent people who have never done anything wrong! Do you see the contradiction here?
No, no no. You aren't reading my posts. Drug users are at the bottom of the industry, like any consumer-based industry. The origin, the production, the trafficking — that's where you have deaths and violence. But that wouldn't be necessary if the drug industry weren't so inherently dangerous for someone.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I think it's possible. Look at the difference in drug dealing between the US and Mexico. We have a far better police system, and we have far fewer drug lords (per capita).
Well that I feel is a difference possibly created by the fact that a lot of drugs go through Mexico on their way to America, so there is a lot of business opportunity there. Considering we mostly go after marijuana in the United States though, I would hardly say we are focusing on hard drugs at all, and doing a poor job at actually getting most of the marijuana since its the largest cash crop in the US.

Also our police force sends drug users underground where they will avoid capture/treatment because we prefer to arrest them in order to accomplish the goal of "rehabilitation". Lets also look at illegal abuse of prescription painkillers, oxycodone pills are more pervasive than heroin and not really a bad substitute for it either. I think that big pharma is pretty much the new drug lord when it comes to opiate painkillers, they are not quite as dangerous as heroin.

By the way, I don't think that's the only way to reduce drug use. Other things, such as better education (including education about the legal consequences), can lower it as well.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, never actually got the whole D.A.R.E. thing when I was a kid, wasn't in the public system at any time when it was required. So in a sense, I am entirely self educated when it comes to drugs.

I agree! Prison time is a good deterrent. If the prison time for **** was only one month, I bet a lot more men would commit the crime, and men who had already committed the crime would commit it more often.
Prison is sometimes a good deterrent, unfortunately its not an effective way to reform drug users, as destroying what little is left of their lives really only drives them further into the spiral.

I just wrote an entire paragraph explaining why prohibition does not relate to illegal drugs today, and you completely ignored it.

EDIT: If you would like to respond to that paragraph, here is the post: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11198632&postcount=105
Prohibition does relate to marijuana, the link is less powerful for other less pervasive drugs though.

Oh please. They know the problems associated with taking drugs. They just don't care. (Manhunter agrees with me on these points as well, if I recall correctly.)

EDIT: Here's his response earlier in the thread when I made the point that most people already know about the danger of drugs and use them anyway: "A good point, in fact its social conditions that tend to drive people to drugs in the first place, poverty is one for certain."
I agree that many people do know the dangers of drugs and ignore them, the question is though how much danger they present to others when using that drug, and does the punishment befit the kind of danger they put others in? In the case of most (not all) illegal drugs assuming you are not driving, that danger is very minimal to everyone except the user. And in some cases there is really very minimal damage to the user as well except with chronic use.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Well that I feel is a difference possibly created by the fact that a lot of drugs go through Mexico on their way to America, so there is a lot of business opportunity there. Considering we mostly go after marijuana in the United States though, I would hardly say we are focusing on hard drugs at all, and doing a poor job at actually getting most of the marijuana since its the largest cash crop in the US.
Well, if Mexico isn't the origin of the drug trade, then fine. But, the US probably also has a far superior police system than whatever country is the origin.

Yes, marijuana is very prevalent. Unfortunately. Yeah, we need to do a better job of cracking down on marijuana, but it's hard to due to its legality or medical legality in many places. (Although I think it's unfair to say we don't try to get people who use hard drugs. As a hip hop fan I know of many rappers who have been busted on possession of cocaine, for example.)

Also our police force sends drug users underground where they will avoid capture/treatment because we prefer to arrest them in order to accomplish the goal of "rehabilitation". Lets also look at illegal abuse of prescription painkillers, oxycodone pills are more pervasive than heroin and not really a bad substitute for it either. I think that big pharma is pretty much the new drug lord when it comes to opiate painkillers, they are not quite as dangerous as heroin.
Yes, drug users avoid rehabilitation to avoid arrest. But they deserve to be arrested. I think the best way to tackle the problem is to keep people from doing drugs in the first place.

For example, people who commit domestic abuse don't usually reveal it because they'll have to go to prison. If domestic abuse were legal, they could just take anger management classes. But, they have to pay for their crimes. Sorry.

Also, I agree that prescription drugs are abused too often and people should be punished for it. I think the best way to tackle that issue is to try to make prescription drugs that can be conveniently used exclusively in a medical facility.

Prison is sometimes a good deterrent, unfortunately its not an effective way to reform drug users, as destroying what little is left of their lives really only drives them further into the spiral.
A good point. Like I said, the other option is just to give them more rehab time. Either way, they do deserve some jail time.

Prohibition does relate to marijuana, the link is less powerful for other less pervasive drugs though.
First of all, there is basically no link to illegal drugs other than marijuana.

Now, there is a link to some degree with marijuana; I will give you that.

However, there are still several important differences. One of them is that alcohol was already legal when prohibition was made. Marijuana has been illegal for a long time, and back when it was illegal, there weren't nearly as many marijuana users as there were alcohol users during prohibition. Another thing to note is that "having a beer" has no negative opinions associated with it. Having a beer is essentially a completely normal thing to do, and people felt horrified that such a normal and "harmless" thing had been taken away. Marijuana, on the other hand, has a negative opinion associated with it for many people, so generally people other than marijuana users have no problem with it being illegal.

I agree that many people do know the dangers of drugs and ignore them, the question is though how much danger they present to others when using that drug, and does the punishment befit the kind of danger they put others in? In the case of most (not all) illegal drugs assuming you are not driving, that danger is very minimal to everyone except the user. And in some cases there is really very minimal damage to the user as well except with chronic use.
Driving is a good example, but drug use can cause other problems such as domestic abuse, sexual abuse, and addiction. Also, I provided an article earlier that quotes the surgeon general saying that there is no safe level of second hand smoke. I can find it if you want me to.

Also most drugs can cause damage even if only used sparingly, with the possible exception being marijuana. And of course the main problem is if someone plans to use it only sparingly but gets addicted.

EDIT: Sorry Del, didn't see your most recent post. I will respond after I eat lunch.

I'm sorry if you feel I'm not reading your posts, but I actually am. If there's something I have read or interpreted wrong, please tell me, but just know that I am reading your posts and I do care about what you have to say. So I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression, but please do not accuse me of not reading posts, because I always strive to read and consider everything that has been said.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Well, if Mexico isn't the origin of the drug trade, then fine. But, the US probably also has a far superior police system than whatever country is the origin.
It all depends on the drug. The United States makes a lot of its marijuana domestically now (it has since High Times taught people how to do home grows) and it is the most valuable crop in the nation employing more people than the cultivation of any other plant. That said we still import a lot of marijuana from Mexico (cartels make 60% of their profits on it because the margins and demand are high). As far as herion would go, its really not so much an American problem anymore (prescription opiates kind of took over the heroin market here). For crack a lot of it is produced and trafficked up through Mexico, but I would wonder how much is really crossing the border.

Yes, marijuana is very prevalent. Unfortunately. Yeah, we need to do a better job of cracking down on marijuana, but it's hard to due to its legality or medical legality in many places. (Although I think it's unfair to say we don't try to get people who use hard drugs. As a hip hop fan I know of many rappers who have been busted on possession of cocaine, for example.)

But marijuana is a good medicine for a lot of illnesses, you don't have to smoke it either, but that certainly helps when your problem is nausea. Its been used as medicine for thousands of years, only in the past century have we moved away from using marijuana for most of our medicine (which had little to do with how effective it was as medicine).

Let me just suffice it to say that marijuana IS the main focus of the war on drugs. And it does not deserve that much demonization. Oh, and I wonder if the reason your rapper got pulled over was because the police said they smelled marijuana, then proceeded to illegally search his car/tour bus/etc. (which they do very frequently).

Yes, drug users avoid rehabilitation to avoid arrest. But they deserve to be arrested. I think the best way to tackle the problem is to keep people from doing drugs in the first place.
Let the punishment fit the crime? Walking down the street with some drugs in your pocket isn't harming anyone. Walking down the street on PCP might be deserving of a greater penalty, driving on just about anything should elicit jail time because you are endangering others.

For example, people who commit domestic abuse don't usually reveal it because they'll have to go to prison. If domestic abuse were legal, they could just take anger management classes. But, they have to pay for their crimes. Sorry.
Of course, beating somebody and shooting up in your basement have completely different levels of harm to those around you, in one case you are causing direct physical harm to your family, and the other you may be slowly killing yourself

First of all, there is basically no link to illegal drugs other than marijuana.
Its more like marijuana is the only drug with enough prevalence to see similarities.

However, there are still several important differences. One of them is that alcohol was already legal when prohibition was made. Marijuana has been illegal for a long time, and back when it was illegal, there weren't nearly as many marijuana users as there were alcohol users during prohibition. Another thing to note is that "having a beer" has no negative opinions associated with it. Having a beer is essentially a completely normal thing to do, and people felt horrified that such a normal and "harmless" thing had been taken away. Marijuana, on the other hand, has a negative opinion associated with it for many people, so generally people other than marijuana users have no problem with it being illegal.
Hold it one moment on that thought. When the colonies were founded, many required farmers to grow marijuana for fibers and medicine, and that practice never really ended until marijuana was banned because of a racist media campaign and the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937. Which passed thanks to significant business interests in paper made from wood and the use of yellow journalism to demonize the marijuana because black people and Mexicans smoked it. First 15 minutes or so of this documentary has some really good marijuana history for you.

Driving is a good example, but drug use can cause other problems such as domestic abuse, sexual abuse, and addiction. Also, I provided an article earlier that quotes the surgeon general saying that there is no safe level of second hand smoke. I can find it if you want me to.
And alcohol tops all of those lists if I recall correctly. Marijuana certainly doesn't sit high on any of them though.

Also most drugs can cause damage even if only used sparingly, with the possible exception being marijuana. And of course the main problem is if someone plans to use it only sparingly but gets addicted.
There are a lot of relatively safe and not very addictive psychoactive substances that are illegal though too. They are dangerous in certain circumstances, but the substances themselves are not damaging. We need to better categorize the threats that different drugs pose to those not using them and their health effects on the user and categorize them accordingly, which is not the case in the US.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
... hm. Dre. made this same mistake, remember? There are no victimless crimes that the police protect us from (they'd not be crimes otherwise). Drug addicts hurt society. They drain resources. Instead of working and paying taxes, they sit at home and get high. Then they go out into the world, high, and kill people because they can't drive properly, or get into arguments and shoot people because they have no judgment. Obviously this is over-simplification, but by saying drug crimes are victimless is to make the same mistake, so it fits.
Well, you can use drugs in a way that doesn't hurt anyone. Let's say you're smoking marijuana in your own home, and you don't drive to work.

I agree, but what's to say banning hard drugs is "radical." What's so off-the-wall about it? It -should- be obvious, but we're debating it, so of course it's not. To some there is the personal freedom aspect, "it's your body, do with it what you will." The problem is we're not talking about people who grow their own coca plants, or field their own opium. We're talking about people who by their habits, are supporting agencies that are quite literally enemies of the state, and that warrants illegality at the very least.
Well, we're making them enemies of the state. They didn't declare war on us, we declared war on them. However, that doesn't say that criminal gangs are good, but I'm just saying that we make the drug-dealers enemies of the state.

I don't follow. The War on Drugs is a paper war for the most part. It's in legal action, arrests by civil police, etc. Coastguard is about as close as you'll get to "servicemen dying." The costs to which you refer is not for the benefit of Americans' health, it's for the benefit of American Freedom (if you believe that.) I also agree, obesity is a very serious problem and should probably get more attention than drugs do these days, but where one is funded by Hostess, the other is funded by Drug Cartels. We can fight the latter, the first, not so much, and you shouldn't have trouble understanding why, it's good economics vs bad economics.
So the invasion of Panama was a "paper war"? Operation Just Cause, was motivated in part, by an attempt to combat drug trafficking.

really, though? JUST like that? It's not that easy, bob. Making drugs legal makes them not illegal anymore hence "lower crime." Sure, lol but what of it? This is cheating, it doesn't work IRL.
Well, remember prohibition. Murder rates went much higher than before. I'm suggesting that violent crime would decrease if drugs were made legalised.

Crack heads will still break the law, the only law they'll not be breaking is "possession" or "intent to distribute."
I'm not entirely sure about that. Much of the violent crime is committed to fund an expensive drug habit. By legalising drugs, they would become cheaper, because the illegality artificially inflates their price.

"Safer?" how so? Why, because Pfizer will start making crack bottles instead of your local street dealer? Think the FDA would -approve- Crack use? ....
Well, lets put it this way. If the FDA approves the use of certain recreational drugs, it can regulate what is put in them. So heroin would be pure, instead of a mix of strange white powders.

Ends the drug wars? How so? Legal drugs would amplify them! With drugs legal cartels would have zero pull in the market. They'd literally have to bend over and take in the *** because The US Gov would be running the show, instead of johnny street dealer. They'd cut each other to pieces, at home, in the streets of the US, to be in the best bargaining position.
Actually, they'd loose a lot of their income, so they couldn't hire so many goons to go around killing each other. The stakes would be a lot lower, so they'd have less to fight about. The legal industry would undercut them by miles, and they'd have to go sell something else. We also wouldn't be fighting illegal drug dealers any more, because there wouldn't be any.

"Fixing" Mexico will require a lot, but mainly an end to corruption. Turning coke and pot into legal exports won't do this. They'd still be screwing over their own population to head up the operation.
Dealinng with corruption would be one thing, but legalising drugs would mean the cartels loose lots of money. They can't sell heroin for it's grossly inflated price anymore. They loose their main source of income and wont be able to keep such a strangle hold of the country anymore.

That's just it, bob, they won't go down like that. These drugs we're talking about only come from cartels, they literally own the fields that the plants are raised in. You think the US would suddenly start growing coca plants to supply their hundreds of millions of users? You're still going to need cartels in operation to meet demand, especially considering a lot of these drugs only grow in regions outside of the US. We're the user in this equation. If you've ever been a drug addict, you know exactly what that means. It means you're rarely in a position to bargain. The only thing you -can- do, is quit altogether, and that is the only thing I believe can help the US. And to quit, you've gotta face consequences if you don't. Me, it was my life, I was going to literally die if I didn't stop. For others, incarceration. Death may not come, but living in a prison might as well be death for most normal people. And then there's the fines. There's your revenue. The thoughts here is if you can afford expensive drugs, you can afford to pay your drug tax (if you didn't know there's actually a drug tax on the books, and a lot of your fine in court is estimated by calculating the tax on the drugs you've been caught using/selling).
See above.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Before I go any further I feel as if I must clarify something because a lot of Del's and Bob's responses (and others) are forgetting one HUGE premise about this debate (and no, not that it's a comparison to the homosexuality thread).

We're NOT TALKING ABOUT POT. We're not talking about alcohol! We're not talking about nicotine, fatty food, video games, shopping, gambling, or any other "unhealthy addiction." We're not even -really- talking about addiction, but it's fairly integral to why HARD DRUGS (that's what we're talking about) should be banned.

SO moving on...

What else is the drive to do drugs? What's the initial motivation?
The "High." People want to feel "good" ... that's the catch. The rub. They want to escape their crappy existence, so they take Hard Drugs because it works... for a little while. But eventually you come to realize that you're not taking drugs just to feel good, but to keep from feeling bad. You have to take more and more as your resistance builds. You have to start breaking other laws to afford it.

Uh...? This is a really pathetic generalization of drug addicts. There are millions of functioning drug addicts — look at nicotine, alcohol, and caffeine — the three most popular drugs. Are all smokers "chicken**** scared of reality"?
See above, we're not talking about those, so it's actually quite an accurate "generalization" if you want to call it that. I just call it reality (but I don't expect everyone here to have the same experience as I, living in a crack house for instance.)

What are you trying to say, that drug addictions are sad? Uh, okay..? So? It's sad when I see divorces. It's sad when I hear of abortions. Doesn't mean jack though.
We're not just talking about "sad" like emo sad. Your responses tell me the only exposure you've had to drug culture is your typical High School or College pot-head. That's NOT what this topic is about. We're talking about crack fiends. You ever been face to face with one? You can see it in their eyes, they're ready to kill you for your wallet because it at least means they can buy more. Why else do you think cops are so on-edge working the streets? It's a literal war out there. Your stance seems to be one from a comfort zone, an intellectual position, which is fine, but ... it's inaccurate. You can't just reason this topic, you have to have some real-world experience, or at least research what it's like to be a crack addict, or a heroin junkie. And by research I don't mean watching some movie like Trainspotting. I mean something like this.

I'm saying, "hey, this "crime" is not really worth our tax dollars to be a crime at all", and you say "Wow it's a crime therefore it's the law". Do you see where we've gone? You're assuming the law; I'm questioning it.
Well okay, but I did that because that's what you should have said, but you didn't even put quotes around "crime" you just made it seem really flippant so I guess I own you an apology. Fair enough. If you really think possession or distribution of hard drugs should be taken off the books, then my response is "no, it shouldn't." lol, I mean, I guess we both need to present cases here, but I think that's what we're doing, so this whole diatribe was really unnecessary, and my fault for being nit-picky. I just have to get used to your debate style is all.

The social ideology revolving around hard drugs is that they are illegal and bad. There's a stigma. Though we can see that there are plenty of things in our everyday society that show a comical amount of holes in that view of drugs: the prevalence of alcohol, its legality, and its influence on the population. I could go on, but the fact that alcohol is the number one "problem" means I don't have to.
Yes, this seems to be your central argument for why hard drugs should not be illegal. Thing is, despite there being similarities in alcoholism and crack addiction, they're still two very different substances. Alcohol, for one has some redeeming qualities. Now it's true that the medical community has also employed the use of cocaine derivatives (read: not straight coke), but those applications are not illegal! Wine is often used in cooking. Alcohol is also central to dozens of social and cultural gatherings and practices, such as Holy Communion. There's a reason deeper than "everyone agrees" as to why alcohol is legal. In fact there's plenty of communities that are "dry" communities, such as the one I grew up in. No liquor stores, no beer can be bought, the only drinking allowed is in your home, private-owned clubs like the Knights of Columbus or the Elks Lodge, and literally one restaurant that was allowed to have a bar. So it's not as if EVERYONE thinks alcohol is "okay." It's more that alcohol is ingrained in our lives to the point that removing is impossible. This is not the case with hard drugs. Most people can live their whole lives and never once try a hard drug, let alone get addicted to it. Legalizing it would make it easier to get, and may actually change this equation in favor of more people doing something that's really bad for them. Remember one pipe's worth of crack can kill you. One beer is far less likely to be as lethal.

Well, you can use drugs in a way that doesn't hurt anyone. Let's say you're smoking marijuana in your own home, and you don't drive to work.
Again, we're not talking about pot. Pot is a completely different debate. Alcohol use is actually often cited as a reason to endorse pot use, using the same arguments that Del has. And that's fine. But it's NOT what we're talking about here, so this is a non-point. In fact I'd go so far as to say you can't use hard drugs in a harmless way. You'd have to stay totally locked in confinement, have the drugs delivered to you, be fed, watched after, etc etc. No, it's a dangerous drug, with dangerous side effects, and it involves partaking in dangerous practices, mainly interacting with hard drug dealers.

Well, we're making them enemies of the state. They didn't declare war on us, we declared war on them. However, that doesn't say that criminal gangs are good, but I'm just saying that we make the drug-dealers enemies of the state.
Actually, I disagree. Smuggling, you see, it's illegal. By smuggling things into the US, you are committing an illegal act -against- the US, and this makes you the US's enemy. We don't want the drugs here. But here, in the US, there is a giant population of users, so the Cartels want their drugs here. Conflict of interest = US vs Them, and they are VERY pushy.

So the invasion of Panama was a "paper war"? [URL0="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Just_Cause#United_States.27_justification_for_the_invasion"]Operation Just Cause[/URL], was motivated in part, by an attempt to combat drug trafficking.
The invasion of Panama was to get rid Noriega but that wasn't my point. You were somehow equating the war on terror with the war on drugs, and they're not the same war. if that's not what you were doing, then I misread.

Well, remember prohibition. Murder rates went much higher than before. I'm suggesting that violent crime would decrease if drugs were made legalised.
I don't see how. Violent crime related to drugs is typically involving users who can't legitimately afford their next fix, so they kill someone and steal their money so they can. Unless you're suggesting that crack would suddenly be dirt cheap, I don't see this equation changing. If that IS what you're suggesting, that it'd be cheap because the government is producing it, well that's not true. Again you can only really get a lot of these drugs from outside the US. Importing goods is expensive anyway, but especially drugs. It's not as if the Cartels would take a pay cut. They make good money, sure, but they're not going to accept tiny fractions of what they make now, just so crack addicts can get crack for cheap, so that violent crime can be reduced.

By legalising drugs, they would become cheaper, because the illegality artificially inflates their price.
What really inflates prices is greed. Making the drugs legal won't change this. You're assuming making hard drugs legal would suddenly change all these drug economic situations, and frankly, they wouldn't change. The only thing that'd change, is the penalty on users for taking drugs.

Well, lets put it this way. If the FDA approves the use of certain recreational drugs, it can regulate what is put in them. So heroin would be pure, instead of a mix of strange white powders.
Except the FDA's responsibility is to ensure things are safe for consumption. Hard Drugs are NOT SAFE FOR CONSUMPTION, in any amount, and regardless of how "pure" they've been refined. And no, it's not unsafe just like a big-mac is unsafe. It's unsafe -in the extreme- as in you can die just from snorting one line. Maybe one really has to take these drugs to understand how poisonous they are. But I should think people paid attention to the "just say no" ads in school, and somehow would already know that filth is deadly.

Actually, they'd loose a lot of their income, so they couldn't hire so many goons to go around killing each other. The stakes would be a lot lower, so they'd have less to fight about. The legal industry would undercut them by miles, and they'd have to go sell something else. We also wouldn't be fighting illegal drug dealers any more, because there wouldn't be any.
You've neglected the fact that these folks would still be the primary source of the drug. You're not going to start having coca plants growing in Kansas alongside the wheat, rofl. These are S. American Tropical plants. Unless you're proposing that the US send down teams of farmers to farm this stuff in place of the Cartels, but that would result in an escalation of war, they'd not give up their territory without a fight.

Dealinng with corruption would be one thing, but legalising drugs would mean the cartels loose lots of money. They can't sell heroin for it's grossly inflated price anymore. They loose their main source of income and wont be able to keep such a strangle hold of the country anymore.
Tar heroine comes from many other places, but one major place is Afghanistan. Legalizing the use of Heroine would entail legalizing the importation of it from there. We'd have to levy our trade sanctions.

==============================

I see a lot of opinions in this topic, and from you gents, but I'm not seeing a lot of reality-based ideas. This isn't just flipping some switch and all of sudden there's crack bottles at your local walgreen's counter next to the packs of marlboro's. It's hard enough to argue for pot legalization, let alone hard drugs. At least with pot legalization there's enough going for it to make it seem plausible. You can grow pot in the US. No one dies from pot overdoes. Pot isn't terribly serious in terms of harmful side effects. None of these things can be said of Hard Drugs. The logistics, economics, health risks and social impacts are all too grave to warrant even considering legalizing it. Just because some euro-trash country got away with it doesn't mean it'd work in THIS country. Not until we've fixed a lot of other underlying problems. One day perhaps. But we're neither prepared, nor mature enough to handle something as dangerous as legal coke. We have too many ghettos, too many desperate people, too many back-stabbing people, too many profiteering people to allow it.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Finally took the time to respond. I've been quite busy as of late.

I agree with you. Have you been reading my posts fully? I'm citing alcohol as a reason why drug use should be legal. The allowed drug is fairly detrimental to society, but the banned narcotics become a felony. It's a double standard. Either ban both or allow both.
And I'm saying we ban both. If you find it reasonable to ban both, then we have no reason to argue. ;)

It all depends on the drug. The United States makes a lot of its marijuana domestically now (it has since High Times taught people how to do home grows) and it is the most valuable crop in the nation employing more people than the cultivation of any other plant. That said we still import a lot of marijuana from Mexico (cartels make 60% of their profits on it because the margins and demand are high). As far as herion would go, its really not so much an American problem anymore (prescription opiates kind of took over the heroin market here). For crack a lot of it is produced and trafficked up through Mexico, but I would wonder how much is really crossing the border.
Here's a source that states that about half of the marijuana is domestic and the other half is imported (although the data is from 1992). But Mexico a lot of countries in the Caribbean probably have higher marijuana cultivation per capita. In fact, using this source and by doing some math, I figured out Mexico does have higher marijuana cultivation per capita. So yes, I do believe that more solid law enforcement can lower the amount of marijuana cultivation for starters.

But marijuana is a good medicine for a lot of illnesses, you don't have to smoke it either, but that certainly helps when your problem is nausea. Its been used as medicine for thousands of years, only in the past century have we moved away from using marijuana for most of our medicine (which had little to do with how effective it was as medicine).
There are two main problems I have with the medical marijuana argument:

1) It's not really marijuana that can be used medically, it's certain cannabinoids. Which means there are a lot of ingredients in marijuana that are really completely unnecessary. I think arguing for Cannabidiol is reasonable, but marijuana is not.

2) I'm talking about recreational use here. If there is an actual, legit medical use for a drug and there is no better or simpler alternative, I'm all for its use in medicine. But that means use in a controlled medical environment, not at home. So I still oppose legalization for non-medical use.

Let me just suffice it to say that marijuana IS the main focus of the war on drugs. And it does not deserve that much demonization.
No, it doesn't deserve as much demonization, but it deserves a lot, lol. It still shouldn't be legal and should be discouraged greatly. But yeah, saying it's worse than tobacco is wrong.

I agree that marijuana is the main focus of the war on drugs. But this thread is, in fact, called "Legalization of Hardcore Drugs".

Oh, and I wonder if the reason your rapper got pulled over was because the police said they smelled marijuana, then proceeded to illegally search his car/tour bus/etc. (which they do very frequently).
Police corruption is something I completely hate and oppose, but this is completely irrelevant.

Let the punishment fit the crime? Walking down the street with some drugs in your pocket isn't harming anyone. Walking down the street on PCP might be deserving of a greater penalty, driving on just about anything should elicit jail time because you are endangering others.
If you're walking around with the drug, there's probably a pretty high chance you're either going to use it or sell it. Moreover, if you let people carry the drug, that makes it oh so easy to use. Can you honestly expect people to possess drugs but not use or sell them? What would be the point? And no, just carrying around some pills isn't harming anyone yet, but I also wouldn't be harming anyone if I kept a nuclear bomb in my basement. The reason it's illegal to posses it is that there's a high possibility of you using it, and then endangering society.

Of course, beating somebody and shooting up in your basement have completely different levels of harm to those around you, in one case you are causing direct physical harm to your family, and the other you may be slowly killing yourself
Beating someone up and shooting them in your basement is no worse than getting high and thinking you can drive and then crashing into another car and killing an innocent family. Drugs warp your thoughts and endanger those around you. You're putting innocent people at risk. That's why it's a crime.

Its more like marijuana is the only drug with enough prevalence to see similarities.
Yeah, that's what I meant.

Hold it one moment on that thought. When the colonies were founded, many required farmers to grow marijuana for fibers and medicine, and that practice never really ended until marijuana was banned because of a racist media campaign and the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937. Which passed thanks to significant business interests in paper made from wood and the use of yellow journalism to demonize the marijuana because black people and Mexicans smoked it. First 15 minutes or so of this documentary has some really good marijuana history for you.
I'm sorry that the ad campaign was racist, but that's completely irrelevant. Maybe they banned it for the wrong reasons, but now we should keep it banned for the right ones. And, like I said, this Marijuana Act didn't nearly stir up the same kind of fury that prohibition did. And that's why it was more effective.

And alcohol tops all of those lists if I recall correctly. Marijuana certainly doesn't sit high on any of them though.
Probably true. Alcohol should be banned. But all drugs cause these sorts of accidents, so all of them should be banned.

There are a lot of relatively safe and not very addictive psychoactive substances that are illegal though too. They are dangerous in certain circumstances, but the substances themselves are not damaging. We need to better categorize the threats that different drugs pose to those not using them and their health effects on the user and categorize them accordingly, which is not the case in the US.
Like I said above, if they have a legit medical use and there is no better or simpler alternative, they should be allowed in controlled medical environments. But they need to be properly researched first. I don't think any currently illegal drug has been researched extensively and conclusively enough to be accurately determined to be the best and simplest drug for any medical treatment. Even if they are eventually used medically, they should never be allowed for recreational use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom