• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legalisation of hardcore drugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I keep reading arguments about how people who are addicted to drugs are ruining their lives; slowly killing themselves through drug "abuse".

I fail to see why this is my problem, or anyone's problem, really. It's not my body that's addicted, and I personally don't care if you are or not. If you want to use the hardest of drugs, go ahead. If that kills you, oh well - you knew the consequences, and that's just Darwinism.

We shouldn't judge addicts of any kind. Who is to say their lives are any worse than ours? If their existence is to seek pleasure, so be it. It's not my right to take that away.

You can add on additional theories (legalization will prevent crimes, say) but the basic fact is that it's not your body. Much like sexual orientation, I don't give a **** what you do in the privacy of your own home. Just don't blow smoke in my face.

Oh, and I've never taken any drugs, aside from alcohol / caffeine.
Of course it wouldn't be a problem if only the user was harmed. But the sad fact of the matter is that those around the user are harmed as well, often due to adverse effects from the drugs causing the user to act irrationally.

D

Deleted member

Then why is alcohol legal? Drugs aren't illegal simply because people go on coke rampages like in the movies. If they are, then that's a huge problem, because alcohol is much worse because of its ubiquity.

D

Deleted member

Pfft

Why bother responding to that? Back up your ****, man!

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I was simply giving my opinion, and I never claimed anything in that post. Well here you go:

Alcohol causes DUI deaths (source). I'm sure you're familiar with the classic "guy gets drunk at bar, then thinks he can drive himself home and crashes" scenario.

Tobacco can cause second hand smoke, and according to the surgeon general (who I'm sure is knowledgeable on the subject), there is no risk-free exposure to second-hand smoke (source). Tobacco can also cause harm to unborn children when women smoke while pregnant (source). The woman may not even know she is pregnant and could inadvertently harm her unborn child.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
I was simply giving my opinion, and I never claimed anything in that post. Well here you go:

Alcohol causes DUI deaths (source). I'm sure you're familiar with the classic "guy gets drunk at bar, then thinks he can drive himself home and crashes" scenario.

Tobacco can cause second hand smoke, and according to the surgeon general (who I'm sure is knowledgeable on the subject), there is no risk-free exposure to second-hand smoke (source). Tobacco can also cause harm to unborn children when women smoke while pregnant (source). The woman may not even know she is pregnant and could inadvertently harm her unborn child.
Obesity is soon to be the leading cause of death... are we going to outlaw all fatty foods next? Seriously?

-blazed

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Obesity is soon to be the leading cause of death... are we going to outlaw all fatty foods next? Seriously?

-blazed
That's completely ignoring the point of my post, which was to show that drugs harm people around the user, not just the user. Someone eating a Big Mac only hurts the consumer.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
That's completely ignoring the point of my post, which was to show that drugs harm people around the user, not just the user. Someone eating a Big Mac only hurts the consumer.
My apologies, it was unclear that was the point from your post.

But now that you mention it, driving while drunk is illegal, as is driving without a license... which can also lead to a car accident. Both are outlawed...

Smoking while pregnant, or drinking while pregnant, even drinking coffee while pregnant is all strongly warned against, and the packs of cigarettes have warning signs on them stating such. In fact, even consuming big macs as your main source food can be horrible for an unborn child... these are not good enough reasons to outlaw something.

And smoking is now outlawed in most states inside almost any establishment. It's fairly simple to avoid second-hand smoke if it's wanted.

You're also completely ignoring the main reason alcohol is not illegal, prohibition failed miserably. If we outlawed tobacco it would all go underground and tobacco would be the new "weed"... a "gateway drug" which everyone uses so we don't enforce laws against them too strictly...

-blazed

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
But now that you mention it, driving while drunk is illegal, as is driving without a license... which can also lead to a car accident. Both are outlawed...
As should be alcohol, as the drug is the main reason DUI happens, getting the user drunk so that they make poor decisions.

Smoking while pregnant, or drinking while pregnant, even drinking coffee while pregnant is all strongly warned against, and the packs of cigarettes have warning signs on them stating such. In fact, even consuming big macs as your main source food can be horrible for an unborn child... these are not good enough reasons to outlaw something.
Perhaps, but I think smoking is more dangerous in small quantities. I think one cigarette is more dangerous than one cup of coffee or one big mac. (I'm still working on finding a source for this and I'll get back to you when I find something conclusive). Also consider the addictive properties of nicotine, which may make it harder for the user to stop smoking than to stop eating big macs (although the same is true for coffee's addictive properties).

And smoking is now outlawed in most states inside almost any establishment. It's fairly simple to avoid second-hand smoke if it's wanted.
there's no way to avoid inhaling second hand smoke on the streets.

You're also completely ignoring the main reason alcohol is not illegal, prohibition failed miserably. If we outlawed tobacco it would all go underground and tobacco would be the new "weed"... a "gateway drug" which everyone uses so we don't enforce laws against them too strictly...
I agree that alcohol is not illegal because prohibition was a horrible failure. It's just too ingrained in our culture. It should be illegal, but that just can't happen anytime soon. But "well, alcohol is legal" should NEVER be an argument for illegal drugs.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Actually I see advantages and disadvantages from any of the options.

If we were to make illegal drugs legal it would be in the open subject to taxes and legal inspection for health reasons (It is never healthy but it would make less dangerous to a minor degree.) Also it would cut into the profit of criminal organizations (At least the ones that make money off such products.) and that I believe to be a good thing (The weakening of criminal organizations, possibly saving lives.)

On the other hand as KrazyGlue pointed out that illegal drugs are illegal for a reason, they are dangerous to people around the user and not just the user is at risk. If illegal drugs are legal then they would be easer to get to and there for there is the possibility of more users (Not granted but it is still risking human lives, unnecessary casualties.)

I do not know. I can understand both arguments, but I do not have a solution :(.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
Actually I see advantages and disadvantages from any of the options.

If we were to make illegal drugs legal it would be in the open subject to taxes and legal inspection for health reasons (It is never healthy but it would make less dangerous to a minor degree.) Also it would cut into the profit of criminal organizations (At least the ones that make money off such products.) and that I believe to be a good thing (The weakening of criminal organizations, possibly saving lives.)

On the other hand as KrazyGlue pointed out that illegal drugs are illegal for a reason, they are dangerous to people around the user and not just the user is at risk. If illegal drugs are legal then they would be easer to get to and there for there is the possibility of more users (Not granted but it is still risking human lives, unnecessary casualties.)

I do not know. I can understand both arguments, but I do not have a solution :(.
It's a touchy topic. There is no silver bullet. That's the way things are in real life. It's like Climate Change or any issue facing modern humanity, there's nothing that'll fix it entirely. And even if it does, the solution is probably going to cause problems in itself. This is the problem with everything.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Yeah, and it gets really repetitive and annoying to debate after a while. This and my first ever debates in the PG and DH have all been really long drug legalization threads, and the issue is kind of getting tedious to me. Which doesn't even happen much; I'll usually debate a topic to hell and back if necessary. But drug legalization does wear on my patience after a while.

I completely agree with what Bob said; there are certainly benefits to both options. Ironically, Bob's drug legalization thread from early 2009 was the first ever PG topic I participated in.

Also, welcome to the DH, Dragoon!

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I completely agree with what Bob said; there are certainly benefits to both options. Ironically, Bob's drug legalization thread from early 2009 was the first ever PG topic I participated in.
So, the question then becomes a matter of if the good out ways the bad. In that case I say that illegal drugs should remain illegal until such a time that the benefits of making illegal drugs legal out way all of its negative results. (Like a high crime rate with their money revenue being drugs or very bad economy without many resources to pull from that would help the economy, for an example.)

Also, welcome to the DH, Dragoon!

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I agree. Much like with "Straw man" Dre. has conflated terminology methinks.

*ahem*

Social Contract Theory, nearly as old as philosophy itself, is the view that persons’ moral and/or political obligations are dependent upon a contract or agreement between them to form society.

I never said I justified my theory.
No trolling. You mentioned it out of spite and as a rebuttal: "So why do I need to justify my moral theory, but he doesn't?"

I made this thread to see if people's usage of the social contract is consistent on both homosexuality and drugs.
Then you should have made that clear from the get go. We're not your homework assignment, or lab rats to be played with, and I for one don't appreciate it.

"In this thread, I am arguing that is wrong to have illegalised drugs. I'm arguing this on the grounds that such illegalisation deprvies drug uses of a right to freedom, a right which isn't harming anyone else against their own will. "

You can argue that your libertarian argument is justified under social contract.

"Another view, contractarian libertarianism, holds that any legitimate authority of government derives not from the consent of the governed, but from contract or mutual agreement." -source

But you'd have to really dig deep to get that meaning out of it. This is why when you make a topic you should spend some time citing SOURCES (something you have yet to do ... at all?)

Then why is alcohol legal? Drugs aren't illegal simply because people go on coke rampages like in the movies. If they are, then that's a huge problem, because alcohol is much worse because of its ubiquity.
I brought this up already. It's because the use of it is so ingrained in day-to-day living that it's a "justified evil." Prohibition's failure is proof of this.

NL vs. SC would be a legitimate debate, but I don't want to debate it. Firstly, I'm currently studying NL and it's giving me enough headaches. Secondly, the debate gets brought up in a lot of moral topics, so we would just be repeating ourselves tediously.
Yet it's the basis of this thread. So what's the deal, you either want to debate it or you don't. There's little use in experimenting if you're not going to just get into it. We're not stupid. Again I take offense. Obviously if you're going to meander around SC v NL then it'll be brought to light and you'll be forced to go down that road. If it's such a headache, avoid the subject altogether.

-blazed
Yes, actually. -source

Though not "law" many school districts and other specific entities are banning the sale of fatty foods, and with this latest research it may actually come down to deeming twinkies as addicting as crack, with all the legal penalties therein. Doubt it'll happen though. Hostess > S. American Drug Cartel lol

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I agree. Much like with "Straw man" Dre. has conflated terminology methinks.

*ahem*

Social Contract Theory, nearly as old as philosophy itself, is the view that persons’ moral and/or political obligations are dependent upon a contract or agreement between them to form society.
I was referring the theory that began with Thomas Hobbes and continued with John Locke. Hobbes, being a fideist, said that human nature is evil, and that humans can do whatever they desire, as long as they don't interfere with other's humans ability to commit evils.

Nowadays we just don't call it evil.

No trolling. You mentioned it out of spite and as a rebuttal: "So why do I need to justify my moral theory, but he doesn't?"

Then you should have made that clear from the get go. We're not your homework assignment, or lab rats to be played with, and I for one don't appreciate it.
So now, I'm not allowed to put across a theory I don't agree with? Seems abit contradictory when we have a DA thread.

"In this thread, I am arguing that is wrong to have illegalised drugs. I'm arguing this on the grounds that such illegalisation deprvies drug uses of a right to freedom, a right which isn't harming anyone else against their own will. "
Ok, I forgot I said that in the OP, so I admit it was wrong to put that argument across without justifying. Nonetheless, Del still was wrong in not justifying his theory either.

You can argue that your libertarian argument is justified under social contract.

"Another view, contractarian libertarianism, holds that any legitimate authority of government derives not from the consent of the governed, but from contract or mutual agreement." -source

But you'd have to really dig deep to get that meaning out of it. This is why when you make a topic you should spend some time citing SOURCES (something you have yet to do ... at all?)
Most of my information comes from either talking to credible people, or from books. The internet isn't really a reliable source of information for my field of study, so I don't cite it much.

Yet it's the basis of this thread. So what's the deal, you either want to debate it or you don't. There's little use in experimenting if you're not going to just get into it. We're not stupid. Again I take offense. Obviously if you're going to meander around SC v NL then it'll be brought to light and you'll be forced to go down that road. If it's such a headache, avoid the subject altogether.
The point of the thread was to stimulate discussion, for me to see how consistent people's usage of SC was, and how many people would actually bother to justify it.

In this thread, I never said NL was right. I just said Del was just assuming SC without justifying it. All I asked is that he actually provides a justification for his assumption. I don't see how that is at all provoking a NL vs. SC debate.

D

Deleted member

Except I'm not advocating the social contract and you're putting words in my mouth.

Prohibition's failure is still seen today through other drugs.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
This

We don't really need to apply the lens of social contract theory to see that the drug war is not right because it is an utter and complete failure on every single level (except effectively arresting people, in that case it has done a "great" job). If we are going to try to keep people from using drugs (for whatever reason), criminalizing drug possession is simply not effective.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
So now, I'm not allowed to put across a theory I don't agree with? Seems abit contradictory when we have a DA thread.
No, the problem is that it's really poor debate etiquette to make a thread and not tell us your intentions from the beginning.

You haven't given any reason to believe that.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
I was referring the theory that began with Thomas Hobbes and continued with John Locke. Hobbes, being a fideist, said that human nature is evil, and that humans can do whatever they desire, as long as they don't interfere with other's humans ability to commit evils.

Nowadays we just don't call it evil.
None of this made any sense, nor does it fit a definition of social contract theory. Just answer the simple question, what is social contract theory. I don't care who came up with it, or if it assumes people are evil. What does that have to do with ANYTHING anyone else is saying? No one has yet to make the argument that humans are inherently evil...

By the way, just in case you decide to jump to the conclusion, I know exactly who Thomas Hobbes and John Lock are, and I'm familiar with their theories... it doesn't change the fact that it has very little to do with what people are talking about in this or other threads, like the homosexuality thread, or that you're simply straw-manning people's arguments.

Most of my information comes from either talking to credible people, or from books. The internet isn't really a reliable source of information for my field of study, so I don't cite it much.
Complete and total BS... There are plenty of published papers online, both available to everyone, and some available only selectively. You can't actually say "the internet isn't a reliable source of information" because the internet can refer to almost anything online. Many books are online these days in one form or another, and scholarly journals are almost entirely online.

You've yet to cite anything because you're either too lazy, or can't understand the concept of backing up what you say. YOU are not a credible source on the subject Dre... we can't take your word on everything. It's just that simple. I dare you to find me ONE SUBJECT you've spoken about that I can't find a credible source of information pertaining towards it on the internet...

-blazed

D

Deleted member

You haven't given any reason to believe that.
Do I have to?! We all know how prohibition went. We know what speakeasies are, we know the illegal alcohol trade worked - moonshining, booze-running, etc.

This all happens with other drugs. People have to hide production, consumption, trade, marketing, and every other possible aspect of the illegal drug industry.

Is that good enough for you? It honestly wasn't necessary to type all that, you know.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Krazy, I defined what I meant by SC.

The SC prominent in modernity started with Hobbes, I checked that today with my lecturer. Hobbes said that human nature is evil, so we can do whatever evil we like, as long as we don't impede on another's ability to do evil.

That's where the SC of today comes from. The moral presumption that anything is ok as long as you don't harm others comes from Hobbes. That's it's relevance.

And with referencing, the online sites I use aren't open to the public. It's not like I claim to have statistics on anything, which require references, I just use great thinker's opinions, so they're not as important to reference.

The only time I used statistics was in my first real post here, to show our civilisation is in a population decline, which I provided the reference for.

D

Deleted member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_contract

The notion of the social contract implies that the people give up sovereignty to a government or other authority in order to receive or maintain social order through the rule of law.
According to Thomas Hobbes, human life would be "nasty, brutish, and short" without political authority. In its absence, we would live in a state of nature, where we each have unlimited natural freedoms, including the "right to all things" and thus the freedom to harm all who threaten our own self-preservation; there would be an endless "war of all against all" (Bellum omnium contra omnes). To avoid this, free men establish political community i.e. civil society through a social contract in which each gain civil rights in return for subjecting himself to civil law or to political authority.
In other words, not what you said Dre.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
The only time I used statistics was in my first real post here, to show our civilisation is in a population decline, which I provided the reference for.
Link please?

Also, our population isn't in decline, but that's probably another debate.

blazedaces

Smash Lord

The SC prominent in modernity started with Hobbes, I checked that today with my lecturer. Hobbes said that human nature is evil, so we can do whatever evil we like, as long as we don't impede on another's ability to do evil.

That's where the SC of today comes from. The moral presumption that anything is ok as long as you don't harm others comes from Hobbes. That's it's relevance.

And with referencing, the online sites I use aren't open to the public. It's not like I claim to have statistics on anything, which require references, I just use great thinker's opinions, so they're not as important to reference.

Basically what the post below you showed... that your definition of SC doesn't coincide with the prominent one we're all familiar with...

But honestly, many of us have not used your definition of SC as our arguments in either the homosexuality thread or this one... My argument for the legalization of drugs is a purely economical one, we would make a lot more money if all of these drugs were legal, regulated, and heavily taxed. People do drugs regardless of law, it's not a very strong deterrent. As such we have drug use regardless of the legalization, but if we legalize it, we can benefit financially from it.

As for the homosexuality thread I already mentioned in that thread a number of ethical theories whose arguments could easily justify homosexuality, but you never responded to any of them. I'm not bringing them up here, but it doesn't matter...

Regardless of any of this, you can easily source the information you're discussing on the internet. Your word is simply not enough Dre. We are providing sources which contradict your statements. You either have to provide sources which support your position or concede it...

-blazed

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Do I have to?! We all know how prohibition went. We know what speakeasies are, we know the illegal alcohol trade worked - moonshining, booze-running, etc.

This all happens with other drugs. People have to hide production, consumption, trade, marketing, and every other possible aspect of the illegal drug industry.

Is that good enough for you? It honestly wasn't necessary to type all that, you know.
Prohibition failed because alcohol has been so ingrained in human society and culture for thousands of years, and now everyone uses it. In other words, it failed not because of it being illegal, but because it was so popular. When other drugs were made illegal (rightfully so), they weren't popular enough to spark the same (unreasonable) outrage that prohibition did.

Here's the problem. You said this: "I made this thread to see if people's usage of the social contract is consistent on both homosexuality and drugs." You should have put that in the OP. Don't make a thread just to observe us, or at least tell us if that's your intention.

Oh, and there was one earlier point from manhunter I wanted to address:
But I know that drugs can be done responsibly.
Yes. Yes, I'm sure there is some small, safe dosage of any drug. I'm not going to deny it. But, (and you probably won't like what I'm going to say here) we do have to take account for user irresponsibility. There are many things that you and I would both agree should be illegal that can be used responsibly. For example, a machine gun. Sure, people could just use them to keep themselves secure from criminals. But they're unnecessary and are ultimately too dangerous when they fall into the wrong hands. And I would also apply that last sentence to illegal drugs.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Yes. Yes, I'm sure there is some small, safe dosage of any drug. I'm not going to deny it. But, (and you probably won't like what I'm going to say here) we do have to take account for user irresponsibility. There are many things that you and I would both agree should be illegal that can be used responsibly. For example, a machine gun. Sure, people could just use them to keep themselves secure from criminals. But they're unnecessary and are ultimately too dangerous when they fall into the wrong hands. And I would also apply that last sentence to illegal drugs.
And does making drugs illegal keep people from using them improperly (or from just using them)? Not one bit. Now, if I asked how you would mediate the damage done to society by drugs, how exactly do you go about that? Keep doing the same thing, or do something different?

So how does making a drug illegal, keep people from using it irresponsibly?

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
It all depends on good law enforcement. If they can capture these people who are endangering society, well, that will keep them from continuing to use the drug, as they will be stuck in jail or rehab. They also need to capture drug lords in order to make sure less of these drugs are on the market.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
It all depends on good law enforcement. If they can capture these people who are endangering society, well, that will keep them from continuing to use the drug, as they will be stuck in jail or rehab. They also need to capture drug lords in order to make sure less of these drugs are on the market.
So basically by throwing people who possess drugs into jail and rehab systems will turn most of these peoplel around (everyone I know that has ever been arrested for drugs never stopped after their probation/rehab ended, not to say that replaces some good statistics, but I am just saying)? As far as cutting the supply of drugs, can you show how that has had an impact by reducing the use of drugs?

I don't really see how capturing a drug lord does anything unless they actually dismantle the majority of the infrastructure of the criminal enterprise (otherwise it will just be a battle within the organization or others will move in and take over, and that can be a very bloody process).

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
So basically by throwing people who possess drugs into jail and rehab systems will turn most of these peoplel around (everyone I know that has ever been arrested for drugs never stopped after their probation/rehab ended, not to say that replaces some good statistics, but I am just saying)?
Perhaps they need longer rehab and/or jail time then.

As far as cutting the supply of drugs, can you show how that has had an impact by reducing the use of drugs?
If you can't buy drugs, you can't use them (unless you're able to make them yourself). It follows that if we sharply reduce supply, drugs will be scarcer, hard to find, and much more expensive.

I don't really see how capturing a drug lord does anything unless they actually dismantle the majority of the infrastructure of the criminal enterprise (otherwise it will just be a battle within the organization or others will move in and take over, and that can be a very bloody process).
You're right, law enforcement would have to dismantle the whole organization.

manhunter098

Smash Lord

If you can't buy drugs, you can't use them (unless you're able to make them yourself). It follows that if we sharply reduce supply, drugs will be scarcer, hard to find, and much more expensive.
Can we sharply reduce the drug supply though (is it possible)? If the current cost of the drug war is in tens of billions each year, and it is really only scraping up the surface, we simply cannot allocate enough capital to enable the government to institute the necessary measures to basically invade the privacy of every single citizen in the country (arresting roughly 10% of the US population or 35 million people would cost tax coffers an average of $6,245 per arrest) in an effort to stamp out illegal drugs, because that is really what it would take, and I am not sure if even that would be enough.

@TGK, its certainly very well documented that poverty and drug use go hand in hand, it only stands to reason that this is certainly linked with the recently released statistics indicating an increase in poverty in the US.

D

Deleted member

If it's not working...use more of it!

KrazyGlue said:
It also follows that demand will go up, and emotional investments to obtain the product will go through the roof. This is why people kill for drugs. If all it took was a casual stroll down the block to get a kilo of blow, don't you think drug-related casualties would go down? You wouldn't need drug mules (who often die horrible deaths) you wouldn't need showdowns, money-laundering schemes, cop shootouts, betrayals, associated crimes, crimes of passion, etc.

Such is the case when we go to the liquor store. Nothing happens! Alcohol is just as addictive; prohibition is just as relevant as it is today; removals of drug stigmas could help raise awareness of when to stop, when too much is too much, and a less stressful / less judgmental environment. And let's be honest, I'd rather have cops busting real criminals than someone who wants to feel happy. I think the real crime is telling someone that they aren't allowed to do something because of social ideologies.

PS, I haven't even gone into taxation benefits, where the revenue generated could inject some steroids into your laughable health care system, possibly eliminate some deficit, create jobs, save lives, save time, etc, etc, etc.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Alcohol is just as addictive;
This is totally false. Referring to this chart, you can see that Heroin is rated that highest (note in the chart a 6 = least, 1 = most) with 2's across the board in terms of Withdrawal, Reinforcement, Tolerance, Dependence, and Intoxication. Alcohol beats heroin for withdrawal and intoxication, but that is because you can drink a LOT more before you die, compared to how much you can shoot up. Also, the withdrawal rating is based on purely physical withdrawal, which technically is true. You can beat out the heroin addiction fairly quickly, but it can take years to remain sober, with constant support needed (AA, etc.).

And let's be honest, I'd rather have cops busting real criminals than someone who wants to feel happy. I think the real crime is telling someone that they aren't allowed to do something because of social ideologies.
? this makes no sense. Cops are there to enforce the law, regardless of what the law is. There's no such thing as "real" crimes. Crimes are crimes, ergo violations of the Law.

And let's be honest, it's not social ideology that results in heart disease, heart attacks, respiratory failure, strokes, seizures, etc. (common long term effects of cocaine abuse).

The "war on drugs" is not new, or some clever plot by uncle sam to keep the black man down, or some political agenda, or anything of the sort. Its the culmination of efforts dating back to 1914. It has everything to do with the US general population's health. If you've ever participated in model-UN or mock-government role playing, you'll recall the executive branch has the task of identifying specific goals for the country, and then to propose ways to execute them. One of the cookie-cutter normal goals for an administration is "to improve education." Another is "to improve well-fare spending." And yet another is "to improve the health of our citizens."

By limiting the use of hard drugs, the US government is achieving that goal. Yes, legalizing may make the problem of losing the war on drugs go away, but that's like curing the cold by cutting off the head. You can't just re-define the problem so you have a solution. That's the easy way out. The only way to "win" this war, is to take it to the producers. I've proposed the annexation of Mexico for a while now, because of this particular issue.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
The only way to "win" this war, is to take it to the producers.
If hard drugs were legal, would you use them? If not, why? Probably because you know the harmful effects of them. You don't have a demand for them because you are educated about them. The alternative method to fighting the problem is simply to decrease demand for them by educating people before they use them and using a rehabilitative rather than a retributive theory of justice. The only thing a retributive theory of justice succeeds in doing is circulating users in and out of the prison system and the general population. A rehabilitative theory of justice will ultimately reduce the number of users and decrease the overall demand for hard drugs which will in turn reduce the supply. Also, using rehabilitation is a much more economically efficient than retribution. I think that decreasing demand for hard drugs will ultimately have better results and be more efficient than trying to attain the same ends by using supply side economics.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
^ I can't say you're wrong, here. Reducing demand is definitely important, and why the War on Drugs spends quite a bit of time educating youth in classrooms and on television; campaigns like "just say no," "above the influence," etc. True, I personally know the bad effects of hard drugs, and would not use them regardless of their legality. But now we're treading on a different issue, an even worse problem in America... the Ghetto. Crack is probably the worst drug of the lot. Heroin is prohibitively expensive to use, as is cocaine in its traditional form. But Crack Cocaine is prevalent, easy to purchase, easy to distribute, highly addictive, and a serious go-to drug for most of America's ghettos and underprivileged classes.

So now we're talking about fighting two problems, the distribution of illegal narcotics, and the weight of the poor, and their psychological need for a quick fix.

It's interesting, but Khat, a chewed leaf that produces effects similar to marijuana (except the opposite of the munchies, it decreases appetite) is highly prevalent in some countries (Yemen, for example). In these countries despite poverty being prevalent, the government sees to it that the massive populations have ample supplies of the drug. It's almost like 4 o'clock tea in the UK, it's standard, expected... generates a lot of revenue, and keeps the masses "happy."

There's alleged ties between Crack and the CIA. This has been glorified by Hollywood and popular culture, but it's no secret that Crack and the Ghetto are almost synonymous. So the real question is, if we legalize Crack, will not the Ghetto remain a Ghetto? At least, will not Crack remain a go-to drug for the massive poor populations of black and other minorities?

The solution of rehab is indeed a purely thought out solution with provable guaranteed results. I just don't think it'd be enough... people have to want to recover for rehab to work. What's the use of cleaning up if all you have to look forward to is being stuck to the bottom of a white man's shoe? I know this is a gross over-simplification of the plight of ghetto America, but... that's the trouble in dealing with such broad sweeping issues.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
? this makes no sense. Cops are there to enforce the law, regardless of what the law is. There's no such thing as "real" crimes. Crimes are crimes, ergo violations of the Law.
Del is saying that he'd rather have police investigate crimes with actual victims rather than victimless crimes. I personally agree with him.

And let's be honest, it's not social ideology that results in heart disease, heart attacks, respiratory failure, strokes, seizures, etc. (common long term effects of cocaine abuse).
Yeah, but social ideology resulted in Wars (Vietnam, WWII), Genocide (The Holocaust), Racism (Nazi Germany), etc. Look I'm just saying that radical ideology is quite dangerous, probably more so than drug use, especially if drug use is made safer.

The "war on drugs" is not new, or some clever plot by uncle sam to keep the black man down, or some political agenda, or anything of the sort. Its the culmination of efforts dating back to 1914. It has everything to do with the US general population's health. If you've ever participated in model-UN or mock-government role playing, you'll recall the executive branch has the task of identifying specific goals for the country, and then to propose ways to execute them. One of the cookie-cutter normal goals for an administration is "to improve education." Another is "to improve well-fare spending." And yet another is "to improve the health of our citizens."

By limiting the use of hard drugs, the US government is achieving that goal. Yes, legalizing may make the problem of losing the war on drugs go away, but that's like curing the cold by cutting off the head. You can't just re-define the problem so you have a solution. That's the easy way out. The only way to "win" this war, is to take it to the producers. I've proposed the annexation of Mexico for a while now, because of this particular issue.
So Americans are going out there killing people, wasting truckloads of money, and having their servicemen die, to mildly improve the health of their country? To be honest, I think in terms of health, we've got bigger fish to fry. Smoking and obesity are larger issues than illegal drug use. They kill more people, and they cost the nation much more.

And legalising drugs is not like curing the cold by cutting off the head. It's like medicating against the cold with some antihistamines to reduce the symptoms. It makes drug use safer, lowers crime, ends the drug wars and fixes countries like Mexico.

With all the drug-cartels loosing their revenue, they won't be able to keep such a strangle-hold on the country.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Del is saying that he'd rather have police investigate crimes with actual victims rather than victimless crimes. I personally agree with him.
... hm. Dre. made this same mistake, remember? There are no victimless crimes that the police protect us from (they'd not be crimes otherwise). Drug addicts hurt society. They drain resources. Instead of working and paying taxes, they sit at home and get high. Then they go out into the world, high, and kill people because they can't drive properly, or get into arguments and shoot people because they have no judgment. Obviously this is over-simplification, but by saying drug crimes are victimless is to make the same mistake, so it fits.

Yeah, but social ideology resulted in Wars (Vietnam, WWII), Genocide (The Holocaust), Racism (Nazi Germany), etc. Look I'm just saying that radical ideology is quite dangerous, probably more so than drug use, especially if drug use is made safer.
I agree, but what's to say banning hard drugs is "radical." What's so off-the-wall about it? It -should- be obvious, but we're debating it, so of course it's not. To some there is the personal freedom aspect, "it's your body, do with it what you will." The problem is we're not talking about people who grow their own coca plants, or field their own opium. We're talking about people who by their habits, are supporting agencies that are quite literally enemies of the state, and that warrants illegality at the very least.

So Americans are going out there killing people, wasting truckloads of money, and having their servicemen die, to mildly improve the health of their country? To be honest, I think in terms of health, we've got bigger fish to fry. Smoking and obesity are larger issues than illegal drug use. They kill more people, and they cost the nation much more.
I don't follow. The War on Drugs is a paper war for the most part. It's in legal action, arrests by civil police, etc. Coastguard is about as close as you'll get to "servicemen dying." The costs to which you refer is not for the benefit of Americans' health, it's for the benefit of American Freedom (if you believe that.) I also agree, obesity is a very serious problem and should probably get more attention than drugs do these days, but where one is funded by Hostess, the other is funded by Drug Cartels. We can fight the latter, the first, not so much, and you shouldn't have trouble understanding why, it's good economics vs bad economics.

And legalising drugs is not like curing the cold by cutting off the head. It's like medicating against the cold with some antihistamines to reduce the symptoms. It makes drug use safer, lowers crime, ends the drug wars and fixes countries like Mexico.
really, though? JUST like that? It's not that easy, bob. Making drugs legal makes them not illegal anymore hence "lower crime." Sure, lol but what of it? This is cheating, it doesn't work IRL. Crack heads will still break the law, the only law they'll not be breaking is "possession" or "intent to distribute." "Safer?" how so? Why, because Pfizer will start making crack bottles instead of your local street dealer? Think the FDA would -approve- Crack use? .... Ends the drug wars? How so? Legal drugs would amplify them! With drugs legal cartels would have zero pull in the market. They'd literally have to bend over and take in the *** because The US Gov would be running the show, instead of johnny street dealer. They'd cut each other to pieces, at home, in the streets of the US, to be in the best bargaining position. "Fixing" Mexico will require a lot, but mainly an end to corruption. Turning coke and pot into legal exports won't do this. They'd still be screwing over their own population to head up the operation.

With all the drug-cartels loosing their revenue, they won't be able to keep such a strangle-hold on the country.
That's just it, bob, they won't go down like that. These drugs we're talking about only come from cartels, they literally own the fields that the plants are raised in. You think the US would suddenly start growing coca plants to supply their hundreds of millions of users? You're still going to need cartels in operation to meet demand, especially considering a lot of these drugs only grow in regions outside of the US. We're the user in this equation. If you've ever been a drug addict, you know exactly what that means. It means you're rarely in a position to bargain. The only thing you -can- do, is quit altogether, and that is the only thing I believe can help the US. And to quit, you've gotta face consequences if you don't. Me, it was my life, I was going to literally die if I didn't stop. For others, incarceration. Death may not come, but living in a prison might as well be death for most normal people. And then there's the fines. There's your revenue. The thoughts here is if you can afford expensive drugs, you can afford to pay your drug tax (if you didn't know there's actually a drug tax on the books, and a lot of your fine in court is estimated by calculating the tax on the drugs you've been caught using/selling).

D

Deleted member

This is totally false.
Glad you believe that. Let's look at some facts, though:

"Alcoholism is the number-one drug problem in the United States. There are approximately 10-12 million alcoholics in North America" (1), versus close to one million heroin addicts." (2)

1 http://www.learn-about-alcoholism.com/statistics-on-alcoholics.html
2 http://www.heroin-addiction.info/Heroin_Statistics.htm

While heroin is likely more physically addictive (probably because the feelings are much more intense) you must factor in alcohol's prevalence and addictive qualities. Alcohol is everywhere. Not that I personally care, though. I don't *care* that 12 million Americans are addicted to alcohol. It's not my business to care.

Sucumbio said:
It's funny watching a mod commit a basic begging the question fallacy. Actually, it's just silly and disappointing. The "law" is not infallible. We must question the law at all times. To assume that the law is always a "real" crime, then social justice would never have become so important as it is in 2010.

Funny. The long term effects of cocaine "abuse" sound suspiciously like the long term effects of fatty foods in your system.

Sucumbio said:
I call absolute, ABSOLUTE bull****. If an administration's goal was to improve the health of American citizens, then the United States would have adopted a modern, non-medieval health care system a long, long time ago. Otherwise, I do not buy your argument.

Sucumbio said:
All you're doing is making it harder and more dangerous for users to get their fix. Do you realize I could make the *exact* same argument you're making against Mcdonald's? Do you realize that we could simply make banning Mcdonald's a "law" and in your argument we would have to uphold that law, no questions asked?

It's just so silly. Your arguments are weak, boring, and uninspired.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
While heroin is likely more physically addictive (probably because the feelings are much more intense) you must factor in alcohol's prevalence and addictive qualities. Alcohol is everywhere. Not that I personally care, though. I don't *care* that 12 million Americans are addicted to alcohol. It's not my business to care.
Well, I was correcting you, so my point still stands. Heroin is more addictive than alcohol.

It's funny watching a mod commit a basic begging the question fallacy. Actually, it's just silly and disappointing. The "law" is not infallible. We must question the law at all times. To assume that the law is always a "real" crime, then social justice would never have become so important as it is in 2010.
I still am not following you, here. You said "And let's be honest, I'd rather have cops busting real criminals than someone who wants to feel happy." That is a ridiculous dumbing down of the issue. Drug addicts aren't people who just want to feel happy. They're miserable! They want to die inside. They're so chicken**** scared of reality they have to crawl inside a bottle, or a syringe. They're so desperate to escape life, they have to cloud their minds, numb themselves into oblivion. "I think the real crime is telling someone that they aren't allowed to do something because of social ideologies." More sarcasm and posturing. Who are you to identify social ideology in this context? How many drugs have you been addicted to? How low have you gone in life? You blatantly defile the hard price that people pay for their failings and misguided adventures, you dismiss the hard work and sacrifice that men and women die to ensure YOUR safety on a daily basis, and then charge ME with logical fallacy? Where's the "crime" here, again?

Funny. The long term effects of cocaine "abuse" sound suspiciously like the long term effects of fatty foods in your system.
Not funny at all, but I know you were being sarcastic... again.

I call absolute, ABSOLUTE bull****. If an administration's goal was to improve the health of American citizens, then the United States would have adopted a modern, non-medieval health care system a long, long time ago. Otherwise, I do not buy your argument.
President Obama says "hi." Sure it took a while, but that's what you get when your country is run by Wall Street.

All you're doing is making it harder and more dangerous for users to get their fix.
And the problem with this, is? Oh right, it's supposed to be easy to get your hands on lethal chemicals so we can all go around playing bumper cars with our SUVs because the giant purple pandas are shooting at us with rainbow colored laser beams. (see I can be sarcastic too, ain't it a *****?)

Do you realize I could make the *exact* same argument you're making against Mcdonald's? Do you realize that we could simply make banning Mcdonald's a "law" and in your argument we would have to uphold that law, no questions asked?
Actually, I recall something like this Demolition Man. It was hilarious. What was banned, it was like, salt, red meat, alcohol, tobacco, sex, haha all this stuff. Where do you draw the line, is that what you're getting at? Well... you draw it at hard drugs. Lets just leave it at that.

Oh and btw (and this was addressed earlier in the thread) there are plenty of advocates for the banning of places like McD's or at least the banning of fatty foods from school cafeterias, etc. It's not far fetched, and given the obesity problem in America, if I woke up tomorrow and saw on the news that it was now illegal to operate a Fast Food chain that didn't meet a certain standard, I'd say "finally" and move on with my life. If the government suddenly decided, "tobacco is too unhealthy to risk becoming addicted to, so all cigarettes have to have nicotine removed from them before sale" I'd say "thank you."

Your arguments are weak, boring, and uninspired.
And yours seem to be lacking any real point, so I guess we're even? ggs

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Can we sharply reduce the drug supply though (is it possible)? If the current cost of the drug war is in tens of billions each year, and it is really only scraping up the surface, we simply cannot allocate enough capital to enable the government to institute the necessary measures to basically invade the privacy of every single citizen in the country (arresting roughly 10% of the US population or 35 million people would cost tax coffers an average of $6,245 per arrest) in an effort to stamp out illegal drugs, because that is really what it would take, and I am not sure if even that would be enough.
I think it's possible. Look at the difference in drug dealing between the US and Mexico. We have a far better police system, and we have far fewer drug lords (per capita).

By the way, I don't think that's the only way to reduce drug use. Other things, such as better education (including education about the legal consequences), can lower it as well.

If it's not working...use more of it!
I agree! Prison time is a good deterrent. If the prison time for **** was only one month, I bet a lot more men would commit the crime, and men who had already committed the crime would commit it more often.

It also follows that demand will go up, and emotional investments to obtain the product will go through the roof. This is why people kill for drugs. If all it took was a casual stroll down the block to get a kilo of blow, don't you think drug-related casualties would go down? You wouldn't need drug mules (who often die horrible deaths) you wouldn't need showdowns, money-laundering schemes, cop shootouts, betrayals, associated crimes, crimes of passion, etc.
Seems kind of unrealistic that every single drug user will do these things, doesn't it? Sure, some people might go to those extreme measures, but do you really think every high school or middle school kid smoking marijuana is going to shoot a cop to get it? Moreover, if gang-related activities were legal, you wouldn't have as many cop shootouts, money laundering schemes, betrayals, associated crimes, crimes of passion, etc either, but does that mean that society would benefit?

Such is the case when we go to the liquor store. Nothing happens!
True, but alcohol is much more available, much more used, and causes much more DUI deaths, not to mention other things such as domestic abuse and bar fights.

prohibition is just as relevant as it is today;
I just wrote an entire paragraph explaining why prohibition does not relate to illegal drugs today, and you completely ignored it.

EDIT: If you would like to respond to that paragraph, here is the post: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11198632&postcount=105

removals of drug stigmas could help raise awareness of when to stop, when too much is too much,
Oh please. They know the problems associated with taking drugs. They just don't care. (Manhunter agrees with me on these points as well, if I recall correctly.)

EDIT: Here's his response earlier in the thread when I made the point that most people already know about the danger of drugs and use them anyway: "A good point, in fact its social conditions that tend to drive people to drugs in the first place, poverty is one for certain."

and a less stressful / less judgmental environment.
Boo hoo. I really feel horrible for these people who only want to take drugs regardless of the health and safety of those around them. /sarcasm

Everyone wants their environment to be less stressful and judgmental. Even serial killers. So I'm sorry if catching people who commit a crime makes their life stressful, but they have to pay for their actions.

And let's be honest, I'd rather have cops busting real criminals than someone who wants to feel happy. I think the real crime is telling someone that they aren't allowed to do something because of social ideologies.
Social ideologies such as... don't do something stupid that risks the lives of people around you? I think people who "just want to be happy" and will do anything to reach that goal regardless of the health and safety of others is a real criminal. Rapists "just want to be happy"! Why does everyone think drug users are such great people? Since when has the term "alcoholic" had a positive connotation? You people are the ones admitting drug users commit "showdowns, money-laundering schemes, cop shootouts, betrayals, associated crimes, crimes of passion, etc.", but you keep acting like they're these innocent people who have never done anything wrong! Do you see the contradiction here?

PS, I haven't even gone into taxation benefits, where the revenue generated could inject some steroids into your laughable health care system, possibly eliminate some deficit, create jobs, save lives, save time, etc, etc, etc.
I don't think money should ever be valued over the safety of the public. Many things that are economically viable shouldn't be legal. It would also be economically viable to capture the 5 richest men in america, take all their money (probably around $100 billion), and throw it into the health care system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom