• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LEFFEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman

"The top 5 aren't good enough" -William Hjelte, February 2014

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
His head's getting a little too big for my personal tastes... Hope M2K/PP/Mango are watching and body him in the next national.

br8k

Coolkid
His head's getting a little too big for my personal tastes... Hope M2K/PP/Mango are watching and body him in the next national.
Hater right here. He said he still considers Armada better (and then tweeted about how he would beat Armada harder next time..) He's defeated two of the top five, and I doubt the remaining three will be able to take him down very easily, but they're still better than him at this point. Until/unless he beats them.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Hater right here. He said he still considers Armada better (and then tweeted about how he would beat Armada harder next time..) He's defeated two of the top five, and I doubt the remaining three will be able to take him down very easily, but they're still better than him at this point. Until/unless he beats them.
To blatantly state that the top 5 "aren't good enough" is big talk coming from someone who hasn't even beat them yet.

Yeah he's leveling up and feelin himself, but lets see how he does at the next national before we crown the dude as the next coming.

EDIT: I will say though that I appreciate that he's pushing the top 5 to get better... We've been waiting for someone to challenge them for a while now and it looks like Leffen's gonna be the first to do it at this rate.

Last edited:

br8k

Coolkid
To blatantly state that the top 5 "aren't good enough" is big talk coming from someone who hasn't even beat them yet.

Yeah he's leveling up and feelin himself, but lets see how he does at the next national before we crown the dude as the next coming.

EDIT: I will say though that I appreciate that he's pushing the top 5 to get better... We've been waiting for someone to challenge them for a while now and it looks like Leffen's gonna be the first to do it at this rate.
By saying that they're not good enough, he's not saying that he's better than them. To me it seems more like he just thinks the top players haven't pushed the game as far as he'd like, because they have too little competition. He has very high expectations of himself and of players better than him, and they're not good enough for his ideal of best-in-the-world players. And by extension, he isn't yet.

He just wants people to push the game to the limit and develop more. :p

Metal Gear Salad

Smash Apprentice
Every sport needs a bad guy. Honestly, if we have another personality in the mix I think it's healthy for the game and community. Publicity is publicity, regardless of whether it's positive or negative.

MisterEx

Smash Rookie
By saying that they're not good enough, he's not saying that he's better than them. To me it seems more like he just thinks the top players haven't pushed the game as far as he'd like, because they have too little competition. He has very high expectations of himself and of players better than him, and they're not good enough for his ideal of best-in-the-world players. And by extension, he isn't yet.

He just wants people to push the game to the limit and develop more. :p
The nice way to say this:

"I love Melee because there is such an insane skill cap in this game. I still think there is still a lot that people haven't discovered, barriers to be pushed and broken with practice. I've been working hard to get better and hopefully advance the skill of the game overall."

How to say it and sound like a tool:

"The top 5 aren't good enough"

In reference to Armada: "I know that you have johns, but I'll beat you even harder next time.Bring it"

Respect his skill, but how can you not say this guy is just a jerk?

Last edited:

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
The boring ad testimonial way to say this:

"I love Melee because there is such an insane skill cap in this game. I still think there is still a lot that people haven't discovered, barriers to be pushed and broken with practice. I've been working hard to get better and hopefully advance the skill of the game overall."

How to say it and sound like a competitor

"The top 5 aren't good enough"
EDIT: but also, i mean the actual quotes: "Melee is still super underdeveloped; I honestly think that even the top 5 aren't good enough... They don't have enough competition; they cannot evolve... There's not enough players... You guys need to get better to push the best to get better."

Last edited:

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Frankly I think we need a villain.

We have three heroes, an anti-hero, and a damsel in distress. We're missing something for this story. What are we missing?

100 people polled. Most said, "A bad guy."

Last edited:

strawhats

Smash Master

We have three heroes, an anti-hero, and a damsel in distress. We're missing something for this story. What are we missing?

i wonder who anti-hero and damsel in distress are. lol

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit

can't wait for kayfabe melee for the casuals with ppv

luzbwl

Smash Cadet
I like that he is very competitive and wants the best to be even better, but I get this vibe from him that everyone that isn't trying or is bad is a joke. I could be wrong though. Anyway, disliking not highly competitive people is fine, treating them bad for it is not (I'm just saying, not pointing at anyone).

br8k

Coolkid
I like that he is very competitive and wants the best to be even better, but I get this vibe from him that everyone that isn't trying or is bad is a joke. I could be wrong though. Anyway, disliking not highly competitive people is fine, treating them bad for it is not (I'm just saying, not pointing at anyone).
I think his issue is more with people who are bad but claim to be great. I sincerely doubt he has any problem with people who are bad and acknowledge that they're bad. If they're trying to get better or if they're just fine being bad, either way is fine. If they're bad and claiming to be good, then they're just limiting their own development and being willfully ignorant. This relates to his hatred of "low tier heroes" who are bad at fundamentals but limit their development by claiming to be good because they win or at least put up a good fight using obscure gimmicks.

Now that I've developed such a complex theory of Leffen's mindset I should probably actually ask him on his ask.fm to see if any of this is true lol, it's mostly just conclusions drawn from his ask.fm replies and evidence.zip posts. On his ask.fm he seems helpful towards newbies who are willing to learn.

Egadd

Smash Rookie
He's definitely accomplished, even if he's not very flashy in-game. I appreciate people trying to push the game even farther than it is right now, which will definitely continue, but I would prefer him spurring it on with less talk and more action. He's got the potential, he's just letting his head get ahead of him.

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
Leffen thread v2
Getting more constructive, good work everyone

Ill give this thread 2 more days before it's locked

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

lol I bet I could wrex Leften, 3-0

Dis guy sux at Mele, fox is a brokn character and me falcon culd wrex him

:yeahboi:

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
The "The top 5 aren't good enough" line is taken a bit out of context. He was talking about even the top players having ways to improve, and that they aren't improving enough because there simply aren't enough people pushing them higher.

aka get better, scrubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom