• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledgetech Walljump -> Airdodge

MagiMaster

Smash Apprentice
Hey, ive searched on smashboards and I didn't find anything about that. So I'm assuming that I discovered it :p . (Probably not)

The method is quite simple. I use L to ledgetech and I hold it to walljump, then, with R I airdodge to the ground. R must be pressed quickly after the hit or you'll end up going too far and be unable to click R somehow.

After watching sveet's SCV hard, it seemed that some character had a useless ledgetech. However, I think that even a yoshi can survive a ledge tech with this technique.

So far i've been able to do it with fox and falco, I haven't try for the others yet.

What are your thoughts about it?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Everyone knows this, nobody remembers to do it, most of the time sweetspotting the second time is good enough. It's not really a bad technique, but you're still a little vulnerable after the airdodge.

MagiMaster

Smash Apprentice
I agree that your still a little bit vulnerable after, but ive manage to do something close or a waveland(not too sure because that time I tested on BTG). The only inconvenient is that you don't face your opponent. At least it is possible to shield.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I agree that your still a little bit vulnerable after, but ive manage to do something close or a waveland(not too sure because that time I tested on BTG). The only inconvenient is that you don't face your opponent. At least it is possible to shield.
It's easier to practice edgeteching by going into training mode and placing a motion sensor bomb at the edge. Then just jump off the stage and up B into it.

The other problem with this technique is that you have to air dodge slightly up (meaning no waveland and very limited space for landing.) If you make a habit of this then it's really easy to punish (moreso than just trying to sweetspot again) with a simple throw combo or any quick ground attack on reaction. The punishing only gets worse if your opponent actually starts to predict this tactic. It's a nice thing to have, but not the end all recovery technique.

MagiMaster

Smash Apprentice
I didn't say to use it all the time. Anything becomes predictable if used too much :ohwell:
But doing many sweetspotting might build up a lot of damage on you (marth). As for fox and falco you can always shine -> combo after the waveland.

However, I think that it gives hope to certain characters like bowser and yoshi. Sure it's not as easy and safe, but depending on the circumstances I think it would be useful. I'll just need to practice on wavelanding it every time.

Cuno56

Smash Apprentice
Actually, if you do it right, you can waveland.
Ledgetech jump -> waveland -> shinespike = too good.

I've done that... once. I've never been able to do it again (then again, I haven't really tried. Like someone else said, you tend to forget about the airdodge as an option)

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I use this as Link.
It'd be useful for a bunch of characters like Marth and Samus with more vertical recoveries.
But normal edgetechs > sweetspotted recoveries are the best option since this leaves you open.

It's definately useful for Yoshi, though.
But I've never really found a chance to use edgeteching for Yoshi
since his second jump pretty much eats through edgeguards.

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
Ledge-tech wall-jump wave-land is pretty cumbersome, though, unless your character's wall jump is unusually high. I guess it gets you on-stage...

In terms of other available options, you might want to consider ledge-tech bair or uair, if your character attacks quickly and has a high third jump. I'm thinking Marth or Sheik in particular. I guess a variation of ledge-tech wall-jump projectiles would work nicely for those that can do it.....Falco, Samus, Ice Climbers.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
you can do it, ive done it, and i was going to make SCV: HARD2 to cover some of the things i choose not to put in my first one, one of which is this. you can check comments on it, some people mention it.

Top Bottom