• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge Inconsistencies

Johnohue

Smash Cadet
Bowser has a bit of tech that has been coined the Bowser hop. It's when you ledgehop with Bowser and then air dodge straight down or slightly into the stage. Since Bowser's ledgehop animation can be acted out of immediately, this is really useful.
The reason I'm explaining this first is because half of the ledges (almost half) will kill Bowser if you air dodge down on the first actable (3rd) frame after ledgehop is started. By kill I mean you would air dodge past the ledge and fall to your death in special fall. I tested each ledge by ledgehopping in debug mode and air dodging straight down (control stick in the bottom notch, trust me). I found that the left sides of Dreamland, Yoshi's Story, FoD, Smashville, Distant Planet, and Yoshi's Island, and the right sides of WarioWare and Green Hill Zone would kill bowser doing this (out of the legal stages).
The impact this has on Bowser isn't all that significant; it can just be compensated for by air dodging a little into the stage. But it seems that the location of the ledge (that you grab onto) and the stages hitbox (that you land on) aren't consistent across the board. Also not sure if it's a huge concern of the developers but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

MaxThunder

PM Support
i think this is just bowser's animation not moving him enough forward for airdodging straight down to work on all the ledges so doesn't really sound like a bug...

Johnohue

Smash Cadet
i think this is just bowser's animation not moving him enough forward for airdodging straight down to work on all the ledges so doesn't really sound like a bug...
Well it means that not all the ledges are the same, given it's not polarizing to a certain side of all the stages. I'm sure when creating the models for the stages/porting them from Brawl it was intended that all of the ledges performed the same. Like I said, Bowser is just a test for this. Not a bug, strictly, but something in the game that wasn't intended.

Top Bottom