• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learning Skills Through Characters

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Firstly, I did a few searches and I didn't find anything that "quite" resembles this.
Anyways, moving on...

For those of you who haven't noticed, picking up different characters can improve different aspects of your game because playing them to their maximum potential generally requires a particular skill to be fine toned more than another character's.

For example, it is often said that playing Ike requires a very good ability to mindgame your opponent, and requires it more-so than a majority of the cast. It's a key pillar of his game. Thus, if you pick up Ike and learn to play him well, you should, in theory, fine tone your mind game skills by playing him because you'll be forced to use them in order to win matches against good players. Another example would be Marth. Marth requires very delicate spacing. If someone were to play Marth a lot, their understanding of spacing and ability to do so would greatly increase, in theory(put in theory after all of these in your head for me since it really will depend on the person learning). For Marth, spacing is a key pillar in his gameplay.

Now that I've established that, here's the purpose of this thread. It's simple really. This just aims to create an organized list that shows what each character can offer a player in terms of experience that can be utilized with any character. In other words, playing character x aptly(very important) should increase your skill and/or understanding of y.
So utilizing the examples, playing Marth aptly should increase your skill and/or understanding of spacing.

Every character has something to offer, although some more than others. I think this would be a great way to help people pick secondaries as a way to develop a better understanding of how to improve in a certain area that they feel they're lacking in.

Basically, the reason I'm making this thread is to hopefully inspire people to stop *****ing about everything wrong about the game and just try and improve.

Anyways, please feel free to correct me on this. This is a learning experience for me as well so a lot of the initial information I put down could and probably will be wrong. Some characters I just put down my immediate thoughts to give examples on how the list should go. Correct me with reason. I'm not going to change something if you just give me a one line post saying, "you're wrong." But now the list.

Format
Name
-Ability gained: reasoning

-------------------------------------------------------------

Bowser
-Don't get hit: Because being this size does NOT make it easier to get out of chained attacks
-Tilts: Without them you'd simply wish he could fly
-Up+B Out of Shield to punish: While the invincibility frames only help, playing Bowser really makes you realize how often you can punish attacks that get shielded

Captain Falcon
-Mindgaming: Falcon has crap priority so he needs to bait and punish lag to get anything done

Diddy Kong
-Momentum: This is the central focus of Diddy as his ability to "true combo" with bananas by maintaining momentum is the central aspect of his game.
-Glide-tossing: Often underused by characters who don't have an item to glidetoss with. Playing him will help you understand how effective this can be(even if you don't have a projectile, use the opponent's!)

Donkey Kong
-No Wasted Movements: D.K. has lots of moves for different situations, angles, etc. but you can't really spam any of them very much. Most of his moves are decently punishable if you just throw them out there, but if you use them intelligently he can be annoyingly hard to punish
-Marking your Territory: Phrase stolen from Veggi because it's so perfect. This is basically like stage control but without having to take the entire stage into consideration...just the area that you want

Falco
-Projectile Usage: Falco only has one projectile, but it's amazing. It's easy to spam, but against a good player it's important to know how to maximize it's effectiveness.
-Shield Grabbing: Timing your shield grabs as close to the first frame you can safely grab can actually be difficult if your opponent is spacing properly. Every frame you wait before grabbing is another frame they could be retreating that aerial

Fox
-Bait and punish: Fox lacking in terms of safe approach options so fox is more advantaged by simply punishing his opponent's mistakes

Game & Watch
-DI'ing hits: Being the 2nd lightest character in the game is NOT a good thing
-Creating openings: G&W's smashes are fairly powerful, but also easy to see coming. You need to make your openings because a good player won't make them for you

Ganondorf
-No wasted attacks: Laggy and punishable moveset forces player to make every attack be used with purpose
-Precise Timing: Ties into not wasting attacks. You can't afford to mess up because almost every attack leaves you vulnerable...but you can't afford to miss opportunities to punish either!
-Tech Chasing: His side b(and sometimes thunderstorming) sets up for a great tech chase which can help you learn how to predict your opponent

Ice Climbers
-Setting up the grab: Because that will be the only thing on the opponent's mind the entire match

Ike
-Tilts: Without them you'd simply wish he could fly and just use aerials
-Reading Your Opponent: Laggy moves. Wanna land em? 'Nuff said.
-IASA Frames: Because you'll realize how amazing they are when you're playing this guy since he would very well be screwed without them
-Incorporating Jab: 2 Frames until hitbox comes out. Need I say more?

Jigglypuff
-DI'ing hits: Being the lightest character in the game is NOT a good thing

King Dedede
-Don't get hit: Because being this size does NOT make it easier to get out of chained attacks
-Spotdodging and Shielding: Spotdodging an attack and punishing with a grab is huge in his game since other methods of avoiding attacks aren't quite as awesome as his spotdodge. Same idea for shielding
-Shield Grabbing: Timing your shield grabs as close to the first frame you can safely grab can actually be difficult if your opponent is spacing properly. Every frame you wait before grabbing is another frame they could be retreating that aerial

Kirby
-Setting up for grabs: Grab game is vital to rack up damage
-Establishing a wall of pain: Bair walling is important to racking up damage at low percents and possibly setting up for early gimps
-Saving Kill Moves: When you don't always have the easiest time landing kill moves, it's important not to let decay get in the way of your kill, even if the move is spammable

Link
-Technical skills: With so many techs that you need to master to make up for his gaping flaws, you need to have a half-way decent tech skill(obviously not melee tech level so please don't mention that...)
-Stay On Stage: If you're not on stage, you will be soon...and you'll be invincible for a few seconds too

Lucario
-Survival: Because every hit is a better chance to come back or stay ahead....and dying makes you loose that advantage
-Spacing: A lot of Lucario's game depends on spacing properly and outranging your opponent
-Momentum: Since so many of Lucario's attacks link/chain together(some in true combos) momentum is a huge part of Lucario's game.

Lucas
-Don't whiff your grabs: I got ya! Oh wait ****- *bowser fsmash*
-Wavebouncing: While not as useful for everyone, because it is useful for him you can make it second nature and add it to your skill-set

Luigi
-Momentum: Luigi's aerials chain together really well. It's important to be able to follow your opponent's DI to link your attacks together and finish with that sweet-spotted up+b!

Mario
-Right move Right time: Mario is a jack of all trades and has a LOT of options so you learn what kind of moves can be used in different scenarios.
-Gimping: While not every character will have the very unique gimping tools that Mario has, playing Mario allows you to play the gimping game a bit more so you can gain more experience with it

Marth
-Understanding importance of spacing: Entire game depends on spacing and often out-ranging/keeping an opponent out
-Up+B Out of Shield to punish: While the invincibility frames only help, playing Marth really makes you realize how often you can punish attacks that get shielded
-Juggling: Marth's juggle game against some characters(Snake comes to mind) is pretty awesome. Learning both how to juggle and how NOT to get juggled(marth is weak from below) can really help your game

Meta Knight(I'll kill you if you spam suggestions for this like dsmash spam or something)
-Gimping: You don't know how easy off stage kills are until you've played mk

Ness

Olimar
-Stage Control: Olimars are usually best playing very campy games...from the center of the stage so they don't have to worry about their horrible recovery.
-Stay on Stage: Reach my pikmin! REACH! *fails and dies*

Peach
-Glide-tossing: Often underused by characters who don't have an item to glidetoss with. Playing her will help you understand how effective this can be(even if you don't have a projectile, use the opponent's!)

Pikachu
-Autocanceled Aerials to Ground Game: Making sure that you make USE of your auto-canceled aerials such as fair to grab the moment you land. This can tie into just simple momentum as well

Pit
-When to Use What: There's a time and place for (almost) everything. Pit has so many little AT's that are pretty situational so you have to learn when is the appropriate time to actually apply something

Pokemon Trainer-Squirtle
-Saving Kill Moves: When you don't always have the easiest time landing kill moves, it's important not to let decay get in the way of your kill, even if the move is spammable
-Incorporating Jab: Comes out on the FIRST FRAME. Need I say more?

Pokemon Trainer -Ivysaur
-Spacing: Ivysaur deals with his opponents by outspacing them essentially. He has moves for every angle and every direction. All you have to do is use the right one at the right time and you'll vastly outrange a majority of the cast. Straight and simple way to learn spacing

Pokemon Trainer-Charizard

R.O.B.
-Glide-tossing: Often underused by characters who don't have an item to glidetoss with. Playing him will help you understand how effective this can be(even if you don't have a projectile, use the opponent's!)

Samus
-Ledge Game: [/i]Projectiles, zair's with aerials, stalling, walljumps, you name it. Samus can show you how to use all kinds of different options while on the ledge[/i]

Sheik
-Racking Damage & Gimping: Sheik has no reliable powerful moves and relies on getting gimps and racking up very high amounts of damage to get her kills while taking Much less damage than she takes
-Fluidity and Adapting: This ties into damage racking. Chaining attacks together is important to quickly racking up damage

Snake
-Stage Control: Because that's what snake IS
-Tech Chasing: His dthrow sets up for a great tech chase which can help you learn how to predict your opponent
-Recovering: A VERY predictable recovery. If you don't recover smart, even if you get back to the stage, your damage is going to sky rocket
-Ground game: Because in comparison to his ground game, his air game is crap
-Planning Ahead: Being able to set up mines and place grenades lets Snake really look ahead and allows him to plan much further ahead than most other characters.

Sonic
Bait and Punish: Similar to falcon, his priority isn't that great. Because of this, you have to learn how to bait an attack so you can safely approach and punish.
-Reflexes: His running speed his fast, but you need to have equally fast reflexes to make split second decisions to keep the momentum up since you usually have to be thinking one step ahead of your opponent

Toon Link
-Maintaining momentum: Toon Link lacks the range that others have so the player must make the most of the time that he is able to get "in" his opponent's safe zone
-Setting up: Projectile play and hookshot are often used simply as a way to set up for the use of his close range moves because his close range moves do not stand on their own

Wario
-Not getting grabbed: Gifted with amazing aerial mobility, but cursed by his grab release and short range aerials. This teaches you the importance of DI'ing backwards after aerials, spacing yourself, and not blindly attacking

Wolf

Yoshi
-Don't whiff your grabs: I got ya! Oh wait ****- *bowser fsmash*
-Technical Abilities: Yoshi has some of the few moderately difficult AT's in brawl.
-Uncomfortable Situations: It's obvious that Yoshi is simply very unique from the rest of the cast. He lacks an up+b, much of his physics are fairly odd. His shield doesn't work quite the way a normal one works, etc. etc. Most people avoid Yoshi, so playing him every so often can help you get used to playing out of your comfort zone.

Zelda
-Precision: If you want to land that kill you better sweetspot those aerials you're throwing out
-Prediction: Ties into precision because you need to be able to follow your opponent's DI in order to sweetspot your aerials. Also, with a lot of laggy attacks, prediction becomes key to hitting your opponent

Zero Suit Samus
-Incorporating Jab: Hitboxes comes out in ONE Frame. Need I say more?

---------------------------------------------------------
Also note, do not spam this thread with "LOL MK TEACHES YOU HOW TO SPAM WHORENADO AND DSMASH LOLOL" or "ROFLAMO DDD IS JUST CHAINGRABBING NUB"
I will kill you.
Or maybe just report you as spam >>

Anyways, GO!

Edit: This is just for my own reference to see what post I last looked at for update. Next post to read and update on:

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
Hmm...interesting.

Doesn't make me want to get a secondary, but still interesting.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I played Marth for a while to teach myself how to read and punish opponents. Something he's very well equipped for doing considering things like True pivoting and interrupting his foxtrot with his dancing blade.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Fox
-Bait and Punish: This is a staple of Fox's game. He doesn't have the best approach options, so you're forced to make your opponent mess up. Once that happens, Fox steps in for a free combo or two. Basically, playing Fox well requires that you always be thinking a step or two ahead, at whatever level of yomi is necessary to force your opponent's hand.

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
Captain falcon: Mindgames, precision needed to land sweetspotted moves, very good SHFFL game which could be utilized as a skill by other characters, bait and punish, I dunno, just take whatever seems the best point out of all that haha.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Sheik: Prediction, Particularly in Continuing Combos - Sheik does only one thing well, and that thing is hit the opponent over and over again. Since her moves all require a very high percentage to be effective KO moves, she needs to seriously rack up the damage in order to land a KO. In order to do this, however, Sheik has to be able to effectively predict DI and Airdodges. Here is an example.
Sheik jab-cancels into a Tilt-lock, bringing the opponent from about 30% to about 90%. At this point, they are about to escape. Sheik predicts that they will escape up and away, and uses an Uptilt instead of another Forward Tilt. Sheik then chases the Knockback of the Uptilt and does an empty SHFF, baiting an Airdodge, allowing Sheik to grab them on the way out of it. Sheik then pummels a few times and downthrows, jumping and predicting the airdodge, hitting them with a Nair out of it. The opponent is now at ~120% and likely off the edge, and can be chased and edgeguarded.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Ice Climbers: How to get a grab in more efficiently. With their pathetic grab range, it's hard enough to get a grab, but when your opponent knows to avoid getting grabbed at all costs, you have to be pretty good at finding that perfect opportunity.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I don't mean to be a kill-joy, but I think any character being used at a tournament level will be relying mostly on mind games and spacing, with small variations.

Disclaimer: IMHO
Well mind games and spacing are important for everyone. Some characters just depend on it more than others. Marth and MK(at least at really high level play) depend on spacing properly. They depend on it moreso than say, DDD. That doesn't mean spacing isn't important to DDD....that's bull****. It just means they depend on it MORE than him.

Also, please don't think about this simply as, character x relies on attribute y. Try and think of it as, playing character x can teach you MORE about attribute y.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
I'd like to say that Lucario is nearly as spacing-dependent as Marth, but I'm sure everyone will say that, soooo... instead, I'll put out that with Lucario it's even more important than normal to learn how to avoid kill moves and DI for maximum survival and reap that juicy aura boost.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Game And Watch
Spotting smashes: GaW has really, really strong smashes. This is not a secret. However, they come out fairly slow, compared to his competitors on the top tier. (Snakes u-tilt is a smash). So, us GaWs have to learn how to spot good openings and smash the opponent, for an early kill. Not an easy thing to do, but I find that after I play GaW for a while my MK is landing smashes really early.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I guess Toon Link would be...

to create openings and maintain momentum from such.

Toon Link lacks sufficant range, with most of his attacks being outranged, making his disjoint attribute on his sword seem rather pointless. His longest ranged attack, Hookshot, is not a reliable way to rack up damage, but to instead set-up for something grander. His projectile set allows him to play defensively, but a lack of a quick escape method such as Falco's phantasm makes it so stationary camping is unsafe against any competent player not on Wi-Fi.

This forces Toon Link to do hit-and-run with his weaponry. His bombs, boomerang, hookshot, all are made to create openings to exploit upon.

Hit-and-run is tricky business, so with a lack of safe kill moves, as well as a difficulty in killing in general, it's wise to exploit any openings as best as one can, for one may not get another opportunity. Damage racking becomes important, with every % gain a significant profit that contributes to the final exploitation to the kill in the end.

Similar to Diddy, Toon Link is based on momentum. He also teaches you to punish well every chance you get. Commonly referred to as the "Jack of all Trades - Master of None," he shares common attributes with various characters, but does not excel at any of them particularly.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Olimar players have to have a good understanding of his different options when recovering back to the stage. Using his aerial movement, attacks, and whistle in different situations at different times can help bait an opponent into edgeguarding (which we can usually whistle through->latch), or often times rolling onto the stage too early or too late. (in which case we'll stage spike)

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I guess Toon Link would be...

to create openings and maintain momentum from such.

Toon Link lacks sufficant range, with most of his attacks being outranged, making his disjoint attribute on his sword seem rather pointless. His longest ranged attack, Hookshot, is not a reliable way to rack up damage, but to instead set-up for something grander. His projectile set allows him to play defensively, but a lack of a quick escape method such as Falco's phantasm makes it so stationary camping is unsafe against any competent player not on Wi-Fi.

This forces Toon Link to do hit-and-run with his weaponry. His bombs, boomerang, hookshot, all are made to create openings to exploit upon.

Hit-and-run is tricky business, so with a lack of safe kill moves, as well as a difficulty in killing in general, it's wise to exploit any openings as best as one can, for one may not get another opportunity. Damage racking becomes important, with every % gain a significant profit that contributes to the final exploitation to the kill in the end.

Similar to Diddy, Toon Link is based on momentum. He also teaches you to punish well every chance you get. Commonly referred to as the "Jack of all Trades - Master of None," he shares common attributes with various characters, but does not excel at any of them particularly.
I was a little confused because first you say TL needs to maintain momentum, but then you say that he depends on hit-and-run tactics. I think these two ideas contridict each other a bit =\. But what you're saying makes sense. I think your hit-and-run section is more just about utilizing openings rather than hitting and resetting the situation(why run after a hit if you want to build momentum). Good stuff.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I was a little confused because first you say TL needs to maintain momentum, but then you say that he depends on hit-and-run tactics. I think these two ideas contridict each other a bit =\. But what you're saying makes sense. I think your hit-and-run section is more just about utilizing openings rather than hitting and resetting the situation(why run after a hit if you want to build momentum). Good stuff.
You obviously cannot comprehend Toon Link's true form.

But what you said really. See it wasn't too confusing.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Imo Snake makes you do at least a couple of things well that help elsewhere:

-Be creative with your recovery. Most characters have quick, linear recoveries that people generally just focus on sweet-spotting the ledge with. While Snake's recovery is not by any means terrible (imo it's very good), he can't rush at the ledge with his relatively slow recovery and get the same results, and while he has the recovering power and trix to choose the right recovery path, he has to know to make the right one.

-Stage control (duh). To maximize explosive use, and god knows where the limit is with explosive use, you have to know what part of the stage you're going to be bringing the fight to, and in what crannies you can make the most of placing an extra hazard. That kind of thing.

-Tech chasing. This isn't like a necessity with him, but having the best auto tech chase starter in the game (dthrow) along with some of the best options to punish the right chase in the game is a pretty good way to learn the basics of the stuff.

Oh and finish your aerials before you land (autocancel, is it?) or get ***** of course.

Wario:

-don't get grabbed lolol. While it can be easier to get the spacing down to not get punished for approaching in the air with Wario than other people, you better get it down hard or else grab release et cetera. Like with jigglypuff in melee, by extension this forces you to be patient and observant enough to know where the openings are and punish just aggressively enough if you want to get anywhere.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Zelda: Traps. Walk don't run. Stop grabbing.
Zelda has precise hitboxes. Negotiate your opponent into them, score. Fail to be in the right place, die. This sort of overlaps with prediction.

Grabhappy players will see throws as having a purpose and be punished for Z-trigger impulses.

EDIT: Nah, Zelda isn't about walk don't run. Sorry.

Luigi: Guarding without shielding.

Learning mindgames doesn't apply, I think. What you can mindgame a guy with depends on your character - for example, Falcon can threaten someone only because he can cross the field quickly. The mixups you can perform depend on your moveset, and that changes what people's minds will be like. Different characters just won't be able to transfer any of that knowledge.

OH, another one:

Samus: Offstage balls.

Samus has game offstage. Embrace it and be rewarded. Choke, and eat a stock.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Bowser teaches the true value of grabs and defensive play.
Up-b out of shield.
Shield grabs.
Tilts.
All tools to keep the opponent out and off of you.
His terrible recovery also teaches you how to stay on the stage.
So that would probably help DI.
He also get's combo'd horribly, so Smash DI helps to get out of this sometimes.

Jiggs and Wario: Not getting grabbed/Shield pressure.
Because of grab release, and because Jiggs is just bad, getting grabbed is generally not a good thing.
Playing Wario/Jiggs teaches you how to safely pressure a shield.

Link: Link is a very technical character. He has arrow cancel, Boost smash, and various other projectile related things he can do. Because of his horrendous recovery, he has to stay on the stage and keep pressuring the opponent. So he teaches shield pressure with projectiles. His options out of shield aren't so hot with a laggy up-b, and a laggy shield grab if you miss. This teaches you how to properly punish mistakes and make all of your hits count.

aeolous

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu: mobility and bait-and-punish. A stationary Pika is usually a dead Pika, as his ability to move constantly and unpredictably is one of his greatest advantages against other characters, especially with QAC. He also dies fairly quickly, so you need to be able to avoid those kill moves while remaining an a position to use one of your own.

Or, you could use gimping, as his best kill moves are usually slow (at least compared to the rest of his moveset), and Thunder is a great (and essential) anti-recovery tool if you use it right.

dark-war-cloud

Smash Journeyman
Great idea.
Wolf makes you learn to space well (haha, lazors) and he also makes you learn to be able to focus on a move to make it your bread and butter (bair, smashes, and lasers make a good wolf game)
With dedede you have to be consistent with comboes. if you miss that grab you're likely to be punished because dedede is a giant floppy target wanting to get pummelled due to the lightest mistake.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
If you, say, spot dodge Dedede's standing grab, you're at a frame disadvantage, and he's going to grab you whether you like it or not. Do you mean his running grab? Because he can running shield grab you and fix that. Are there other ways you can be punished for grabs with Dedede?

SSD

Smash Journeyman
Pit - timing. Arrows are a good example. You need to know when to start arrow looping, and when to not start arrow looping. You need to keep your control stick inputs tight to hit the right spot, at the right time. An arrow can hit and deal damage, or it can make them shield or dodge, creating an opportunity to land one of his kill moves. A similar thing with his recovery. It's not predictable like Snake, but you need to know when to use it(and you jumps) if you want to survive. Sometimes it's best to be almost at the blast zone before jumping and using upB(I hope you remembered to save a jump), while other times you want to jump immediately and use it in order to recover high. Mirror shield requires precise timing in order to cape recoveries.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Luigi:
Linking aerials- Luigi is capable of racking up damage most notably through aerial combat. His Uair, Fair and sex kick count for much of this and his Utilt, Dthrow and just general priority are contributing factors as well (this goes for Lucario but with different examples)

Olimar:
Controlling the stage- I find Olimar very effective at being able to control a match from the center of a stage via pikmin throw, grabs, and just the long range of his attacks relative to the size of the damagable space that is Olimar. This also relates to the healthy habit (for Oli players) of trying to avoid being hit off the stage and becoming subject to exploitation of his weak recovery. It also relates to spacing as the majority of his close-up tilts have somewhat bad startup

Great idea fear. You should update the initial post
and BTW, the Ganondorf one was pretty much perfect

Denzi

Smash Master
Falco:
Getting a grab: Dthrow is a chaingrab on the majority of the cast, and even if you can't CG them, there are still plenty of follow-ups from it.
Proper use of projectile: With the laser being as good as it is, it's important to know how to use it properly (SHDL, silent laser, followups, etc).

PhoenixoKaZe

Smash Ace
NNID
Toffykun
Sonic- Mindgames, use them wisely to bait and punish oppenents (spindash Shield cancels, ASC, Spin shot etc.)

Grabs are important since most of his attacks are crap without proper spacing.

Lastly he`s one of the few charcters not so easily gimped XD ^^

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Thanks for the good feedback. I just thought I'd make a short note. If I haven't/don't add yours, it's because I find something off about it and I want to debate it out a little first.

Unfortunately I have finals and crap so I'll debate it out with you later >>. Don't forget to check back on this later for a response from me!

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Thanks for the good feedback. I just thought I'd make a short note. If I haven't/don't add yours, it's because I find something off about it and I want to debate it out a little first.

Unfortunately I have finals and crap so I'll debate it out with you later >>. Don't forget to check back on this later for a response from me!
aight, good thread.
good luck on the finals

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Donkey Kong...
He teaches patience and careful movement. He requires fairly strict spacing, and though his options are often good, they're not exactly varied from situation to situation. He has two different spikes you can master, similar to Mario's spike, and Ganon's spike. His punch helps you learn timing through it's SA frames, letting you use it as a counter. He a good few options for attacking and getting to the stage from the ledge to master. Finally, his Hand Slap helps you become aware of different forms of attacking depending on where the opponent is and how you think he will move.
Summary....
Space, Patience, Ledge Tactics, Precision, Timing

Sonic
Sonic requires a lot of training to master. He's one of the most difficult characters to master in general. He requires extreme patience because of this, and more over he you need to be very precise when using him, because you have to use his running grab a LOT. Fast reflexes are very necessary to master him, and you have to think very fast, and often time think a step ahead of your opponent.
Summary
Training, Great Precision, Reflexes, Prediction, General Mindgaming, and Furthur use of many and difficult to learn ATs

Toon Link.....
Toony has few options when up close, so it's at your best intrest to focus on using his wide range of projectiles to do as much as you can while you can. The unique projectile properties from his Bow, Boomerang, and Bombs teach you an immense amount about projectiles in general. You practice canceling, item grabbing, and trajectory control with him. Finally, using all three of these lets you learn how to control the stage, and your opponents movements. His melee options are minimal and require a lot of spacing, especially when he's not working with a bomb or boomerang out. His last strong point is being able to do a million things from the edge.
Summary...
Spacing, Lots of Projectile Knowledge, Item and Throwing Knowledge, Specific Movement Usage(knowing when to use what, especially since only a couple of his moves can KO), Knowledge of what you can do at and from the Ledge

Hope this helps...

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
DDD taught me how to punish w/ grabs VERY well. Very precise shield grabs and I usually win spotdodge to grab wars.

Lucario taught me spacing, but I suck with him so not much else. Oh yeah, I learned effective projectile camping to an extent

You were pretty spot on with sheik fluidity and a previous post about sheik is accurate about prediction and such. She also teaches a lot about pressure and pursuit. Zelda, who I suck with the most, requires a lot of prediction so you can punish with tilts or smashes.

Great thread idea.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Another one for Toon link & Samus & Squirtle

Toon Link
Samus
Squirtle

Saving Kill Moves - This character lacks major kill moves, most of their attacks revolve around racking up damage fast, so save your high knockback attacks for when you know you'll be able to kill your opponent, otherwise you'll be staling it all match.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I did the same for Melee a while ago...

Tech Skill: Fox/Falco
Tech Chase: Captain Falcon
Waveland: Ganondorf
Wavedash: Luigi
Grab: Ice Climbers
Combo: Falco
Gimp: Marth
Edgeguard: Peach
SHFFL: Roy
Spacing: Pichu/Marth
Mindgames: Bowser

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
For Mario, it's all about opportunity. The cape and FLUDD can destroy your opponent early if used at the right moment.

aeolous

Smash Apprentice
Pokemon trainer would help in learning to intentionally change your playstyle in the middle of a match. Obviously with three different characters, you have to be able to change your mindset accordingly to use each to their best advantage, and even moreso once you factor in stage, enemy, damage levels, etc.

Top Bottom