• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learn to Snipe.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
You, hey you. The one who doesn't believe misfire as a valuable tactic. Riddle me this.

You are at 0%-20% damage on Battlefield. Your opponent is at 60%+ on the opposite side on a platform, camping.

You could always wavedash over, and try to punish, but what if that douchebag is a campy sheik player, spamming needles till no tomorrow.

Time to misfire.

Sure it's a 1/8 chance, but you have nothing to lose. You won't die, you can't get punished cause your just too floaty.

Direct hit.

Your opponent is like WTF, and you're like "Victory."

Gents, Luigi misfire is a true skill to master, and whether you think I'm trolling or not, it's up to you.

Look at this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_khnR5vHsz8&feature=player_detailpage#t=269s

RIGHT THERE. Combined with a little faith, and good accuracy, I ledgecancelled a misfire. Call luck, but it takes experience and skill to land like this, and I do practice misfires.

Another example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En7XLK4axHw

WTF BOOM.

You think that was ill advised? Son, I am 2 stocks up. What do I have to lose? Misfire is 7/8th risk, and 1/8th profit.

What I'd like to do is record a few vids, and teach you how to snipe, and how to cancel missles on platforms. Also, how to do POSSIBLE COMBOS INTO MISFIRES. Just watch this thread. After work, Ill upload some vids.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Sure it's a 1/8 chance, but you have nothing to lose. You won't die, you can't get punished cause your just too floaty.
Wouldn't it be great if this were true? That Sheik can't punish Luigi?

Misfire is 7/8th risk, and 1/8th profit.
Wow, this sure is an appealing sales pitch.

You do bring up a good point - being able to edge cancel misfire consistently would be a great skill for recovery. I'm not sure how one would practice this efficiently, though.

I still don't approve of using it to try and KO people randomly, unless it's your last stock, you're way past KO percent, your opponent is at low percent, and you think it's your only chance to cheese out a win vs. a better player.

There's no reason to use it when you are AHEAD, unless you are really that unconfident in your ability to outplay your opponent.

Walt

Smash Ace
No way man! Using misfire when you're ahead or losing or ever is exactly what people should do! Give Luigi some damn courage, finally make him a man instead of that **** younger brother he's always been. Lose that whiney aura he's always given off and get some MANLY.

I suggest people start referring to misfire as OLD SPICE BECAUSE IT IS THE SIDE B FOR DON/GANGSTER/CAPTAIN FALCON/BALLAR/MANLY MOFOS

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Wow, this sure is an appealing sales pitch.
That's right Captain Zetsubou.

With the lack of sarcasm on the internet, I am completely right in my studies. You should have more faith in your misfires. Use it when you are about to lose or when you need to win. Either way, Good at sniping people on platforms.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I hope every Luigi takes this to heart so I can worry even less about Luigi than I already do (which is already almost 0)
:bee:

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
I do this all the time in friendlies, and if you do it correctly the punishment isnt that hard and the rewards are a kill or atleast an edgeguard oppprtunity. Last weekend i successfully misfire "sniped" some1 3 straight luigi missles.

Luigi is too much fun. If you dont atleast try in friendlies you're missing the point of luigi.

In the hotel room at pound 5, on big blue, i tried to misfire snipe kels from one side's magnifying glass to the other, i misfired but i missed. I wouldve woken up the whole hotel if it had hit.

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
Misfire is hands-down the best move in the game. Tremendous range, speed, priority, damage, knockback, and it's the best recovery technique by a long shot. The only "con" is an 87.5% chance of failure. But hey. It's worth a try, and no matter how many times you land it for a KO off the top at 30% your opponent will never expect it.

BTW, elvis: you're a scrub and i'll crush you in wigi dittos.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Wait, let me make sure I have this correct. You're willing to arbitrarily give me free grabs when I'm camping you.

ಠ_ಠ

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Vist + Friend vs. M2K & Armada round 1 team pools pound 5

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
To be honest, its a bit odd, but I think every weegee main should practice combos into misfire. Just expect it to happen every time, and that way, you won't get caught off guard. I ALWAYS expect misfires, not just guess they will happen. Its to a point that I can guess that from at least a dreamland width away, I can snipe someone from at least 2.5 weegees high.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Nicknyte is telling the truth. *****s have no idea how often Nicknyte has misfire sniped me in friendlies AND IN TOURNAMENT.

Yes, this boss has ****ing misfire sniped me on green greens laser camping him with fox back in 09.

Boss. Status.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Nicknyte is telling the truth. *****s have no idea how often Nicknyte has misfire sniped me in friendlies AND IN TOURNAMENT.

Yes, this boss has ****ing misfire sniped me on green greens laser camping him with fox back in 09.

Boss. Status.
I do have an idea of how often he snipes you in friendlies AND IN TOURNAMENT.

It's less than or equal to 1/8 of the time he attempts it, on average.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I do have an idea of how often he snipes you in friendlies AND IN TOURNAMENT.

It's less than or equal to 1/8 of the time he attempts it, on average.
Honestly Nicknyte misfires at least above 50% of the time, at all times. There are days where the famous "Nicknyte: 87.5% of NOT misfiring really rears its ugly head.

Yes, it's statistically improbable, but Nicknyte breaks the laws of probability in any chance-based media he has ever touched. I've never seen a guy get so many misfires, heads, 6s, etc.

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
i beat u, i got 4 missfires in a row, and i killed wif all of em. 4 missfires, 4 stocks, 4 stocked :)

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
Winston is a pessimist.

It's not 12.5% for me. It's an odd conundrum.
I wouldn't call him a pessimist... just a guy who is bad at math. Because if there's a definitive probability of an event then it makes no sense to say that it happens "less than or equal to" that probability. It either happens less than or equal to or greater than that probability. nawmsayin? it is equally likely that one misfires more than 1/8 times as it is that he misfires fewer than 1/8 times.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
One time Chris tech chased 2 times with Luigi's side-b against UltimaScout. On the third tech chase he got a misfire which killed. :p

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
The problem with techchasing luigi missiles is that you might misfire over their head if theyre too far away.

Seriously, luigi is too much ****ing fun. Misfire AND shoryuken??????

You should either main fox falco or luigi. There are no other reasonable choices.

Top Bottom