• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le THieN's Match-Up Newsflash: Marth vs. Diddy is Even

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
Camp like a dirty, soulless, *****, and you'll understand the match-up better. He has no projectiles, you have 2.
I'm beginning to think Marth is not Diddy's worst match-up, but camping Marth won't do anything. I'd go back to the post Pierce7d made a couple pages back. Diddy cannot successfully, or should not be able so successfully camp a good Marth.

Luigi is by far Diddy's worst matchup. Peach and Marth are both bad for him, but no where near that level.
I'm starting to agree with this, Luigi combos Diddy really easily and Diddy can't do the same to him.

Luigi isn't too bad for Diddy. I can handle Luigi to an extent, you just can't do grab combos from nanerz. You have to run further forward and tech chase to do that.
No.

I think Zelda is Diddy's worst matchup. After playing Mocha...WOW.

Other than that, I agree with Hanson. Diddy/Marth seems even, considering I play with a Marth CONSTANT.
...No. No. No. I say 50/50 is the closest Zelda gets. If we say it's "perfect Diddy" vs "perfect Zelda" she has no hope.

I think Marth is becoming easier and easier the more I play the match-up. My partner mains Marth so he's the match-up I get the most. I've been playing Luigi's and Falco's more and more lately but no one mains them in my area so I severely lack the experience in those match-ups.

Marth: I say 55-45 and maybe, but arguably 50-50. The only way it can be 50-50 is if Diddy completely understands the ins and outs of the match-up; even then I think Marth still has an advantage. Face it, on stage, Diddy ***** face, just like against any other character (with exception to Luigi). Offstage, Marth completely dominates Diddy; there isn't a place offstage Diddy can gimp Marth unless the Marth hesitates and forgets to fair (we can't assume this will happen because every characters meta game is expanding; we must assume Marth is "perfect" and has the reaction time to do this, the reaction time is pretty lenient anyway). The thing is that, Marth's air-game out prioritizes everything Diddy has (except bananas of course) and peanuts can simply be jabbed; don't think of it as just Diddy forcing Marth to approach, but Diddy must approach Marth as well. Also, dancing blades is ****...so...so ****...this move is fast, can be done out of shield, out of a full run, and goes for I think 10-18 damage?!?! It's SO good. The key to this match-ups is how often you can hit Marth with your lunch. That's it, capitalizing after the banana hit doesn't really matter; grab, dash attack, smash, or whatever, after you knock him away, your next option is really just to wait until you can hit him with another piece of fruit.

But, that again, is just my opinion and as we all know, opinions are always subject to change. I'm hoping to hear everyone's argument. :]

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Wow what a coincidence. My bro just picked up Marth like a week ago(Oli was a little too campy for him). Anyways, after playing him throughout the course of this last week, I was starting to think that this MU wasnt as hard as people put it out to be. He may not be playing at the same level as say NEO or Pierce but I believe as 4RCE said that Diddy has the advantage on stage and Marth offstage. The match comes down to where its played more. Im not confident enough to say its even but its more like 55:45 leaning towards 6:4. On the contrary, Luigi has the advantage on stage as well as a slight advantage, I believe, offstage. Ive changed my opinion and now believe Luigi is harder than Marth for Diddy :ohwell:

Count

Smash Champion
I still think marth is just as difficult as wiigii, even after the whipping I got from luigi at a tourney last weekend, and nothing here is swaying my view. However, this wouldn't be the first time le thien changed my mind on a matchup.

white peachy

Smash Ace
As long as marth has F-air it's a bad matchup. It's great as an approach. Great as a method of stealing bananas. Great for gimping. **** it's even great for defensive play.

At least diddy's Fair outprioritizes most (all?) of Luigi's aerials. You do lose banana combos and lots of grabs which sucks a lot. You need to be a lot more creative...but to me it's still not as perplexing as playing an elite marth IMO.

And I agree Zelda is crazy easy. She sucks in the air. Can be gimped somewhat easy. And her reflector is punishable.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
A Word on Our Approach to Match-Ups

If there's one thing that my active period here on the SWF has taught me, it's that determining difficulty levels of match-ups based on ratios is a vague and messy process. My inherent problem with them is that ratios depict a false veil of mathematical precision; an unmoving rigidity that doesn't actually exist. Once a community of people collectively establishes these specific numbers, they are then somehow sworn into match-up thread analysis as law, never to be revisited or amended ever again.

Congratulations, you have just subscribed to groupthink. This, in and of itself, is not an inherently bad thing, but in the realm of match-up ratios, it is proving to be quite the stumbling block in keeping people from moving the margin of favor in either direction in a specific match-up.

My job here is to (hopefully) help some of you open your mind to the possibility of change – for better or for worse.

There are many things in life that I love, but sometimes these hobbies or interests fall by the wayside if I get bored. Change is essential in keeping all of these things interesting and fresh, and Brawl is no exception. The game is still very much in its youth as we just recently crossed the one-year anniversary for Brawl, and I guarantee you that there are many aspects and angles of the game that still need to be explored and revaluated.

I have stated here on these character forums that the tier list the SBR puts out every six months is simply a reflection of the meta-game at that point in time. All I am suggesting here is that we should all learn to approach the difficulty level of match-ups in the same manner. How many match-ups are currently considered "even" right now, with the margin of favor swinging in the direction of the better player at the end of the day? Doesn't it make sense that these predetermined gaps can be closed as people broaden their match-up knowledge and experience and rarer match-ups become more common over time?

With a character like Diddy Kong, whom I have stated in the past to be a character who neither blows out or gets blown out by any single character in the game, I think this is especially true. With the way things have played out for me personally over these last several months, it's comfortable for me to assume that match-ups will change. That much is obvious. Which direction the margin of favor will swing in, however, is an entirely different matter all together, but I digress.

With all this in mind, though, how outrageous does Diddy going even with Marth actually sound? It can't be that far-fetched, can it?

If we look at all the close match-ups in Brawl as a series of fluctuations that can oscillate toward either character at any given time, our match-up analyses would not only be more fluid and productive, but they would also be open to both possibilities of a match-up either improving or deteriorating. This is the nature of the meta-game, and it should not be unheard of for one competing meta-game to (temporarily) overtake another.

All I'm asking from you all is that you all stay open to the idea of change. If I'm shattering your world simply by boldly stating that Diddy has the tools to go even with Marth, these next several months are going to be HELLA rocky for you all. I guarantee it. Brawl is just starting to get somewhat interesting again.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I'm just astounded that some people still do not think Luigi is Diddy's number one worst matchup. I play Boss on a regular basis, and I also play Neo a lot. So there's the best Luigi and the best Marth and I can tell you from personal experience with these players I do significantly better against Neo than Boss (though I still lose to Neo almost all the time). Neo's Marth is terrifying, but Boss' Luigi is spirit crushing. There's no motivation to play it when he knows the matchup like the back of his hand and nothing I do works on him.

Everything about that character is anti-Diddy. At least you can combo Marth and even gimp him at times. You can do neither to Luigi, unless you miraculously spike him out of the tornado, which isn't going to happen against a good Luigi. Oh, and he can glide toss your naner to up b. He pulled that off on M2k when I teamed with him in a friendly.

Esca

Smash Champion
Are you kidding? Diddy completely ***** zelda, she's so grounded. Imo 60:40 diddy.
Play a good Zelda then.

And 4rce, this is what your post was.

"Esca, your wrong about Luigi. Blah blah blah. I Don't have good Luigi experience."

Lmao.

Gnes

Smash Master
I'm just astounded that some people still do not think Luigi is Diddy's number one worst matchup. I play Boss on a regular basis, and I also play Neo a lot. So there's the best Luigi and the best Marth and I can tell you from personal experience with these players I do significantly better against Neo than Boss (though I still lose to Neo almost all the time). Neo's Marth is terrifying, but Boss' Luigi is spirit crushing. There's no motivation to play it when he knows the matchup like the back of his hand and nothing I do works on him.

Everything about that character is anti-Diddy. At least you can combo Marth and even gimp him at times. You can do neither to Luigi, unless you miraculously spike him out of the tornado, which isn't going to happen against a good Luigi. Oh, and he can glide toss your naner to up b. He pulled that off on M2k when I teamed with him in a friendly.
Whats anti diddy about luigi? Your fair beats ALL his aerials. Your d-tilt leaves him with no options on the ground. It even stops his tornado. If u wait for him to attack first ull beat his approaches every time.

U can gimp luigi. Quite easily at that. Just think, he can only go horizontal with Side B, and vertical with Up B. While each recovery dies against a thrown/z dropped naner. Also luigi has no good ledge option. Setting naner traps at the ledge and hes done.

Also, perhaps your difficulty with the two lies not in diddy, but in your own faults.

Esca, GTFO. Zelda, gotta be kidding me.

Player-1

Smash Legend
If you're not gimping Luigi then you're not playing the matchup right Thumbs, I play BigLou pretty often, and I gimp him at least a few times in the set.

and Zelda isn't his worst matchup either, lol, and I've played good ones.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
And 4rce, this is what your post was.

"Esca, your wrong about Luigi. Blah blah blah. I Don't have good Luigi experience."

Lmao.
I said I started playing them recently and I find myself struggling. When I said "No" I meant that your argument was faulty. GT to grab only works a little more or a little less than half the time because of that stupid wave dash Luigi has after the banana connects. That and it seems ridiculous to say that Luigi isn't that hard of a match-up. Even if you know the match-up, it's still stupidly hard because of the advantages Luigi has.

That is all.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Whats anti diddy about luigi? Your fair beats ALL his aerials. Your d-tilt leaves him with no options on the ground. It even stops his tornado. If u wait for him to attack first ull beat his approaches every time.

U can gimp luigi. Quite easily at that. Just think, he can only go horizontal with Side B, and vertical with Up B. While each recovery dies against a thrown/z dropped naner. Also luigi has no good ledge option. Setting naner traps at the ledge and hes done.

Also, perhaps your difficulty with the two lies not in diddy, but in your own faults.

If you're not gimping Luigi then you're not playing the matchup right Thumbs, I play BigLou pretty often, and I gimp him at least a few times in the set.

and Zelda isn't his worst matchup either, lol, and I've played good ones.
Boss plays three different Diddys all the time. He knows the matchup better than anyone else. It is not easy to gimp him, trust me. I go for a spike in every one of our friendlies and I'll rarely pull it off. He's too smart with his recovery, and if you mess up off stage against him you're dead. He'll gimp you on his way back up.

Luigi is immune to bananas. They make him slide out of attack/grab range. He can combo Diddy very well at low percents with all his aerials and tilts. His up b kills at 40% and his FSMASH kills at 80% WITH DI, maybe even less than that. You cannot combo Luigi, raking up the damage is very hard. Not to mention your smash attacks won't kill him until well over 120% WELL OVER.

And if he doesn't die off the side he's ALWAYS going to have NO problem making it back with his side b, tornado, and up b. Plus there's always misfires.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Boss plays three different Diddys all the time. He knows the matchup better than anyone else. It is not easy to gimp him, trust me. I go for a spike in every one of our friendlies and I'll rarely pull it off. He's too smart with his recovery, and if you mess up off stage against him you're dead. He'll gimp you on his way back up.

Luigi is immune to bananas. They make him slide out of attack/grab range. He can combo Diddy very well at low percents with all his aerials and tilts. His up b kills at 40% and his FSMASH kills at 80% WITH DI, maybe even less than that. You cannot combo Luigi, raking up the damage is very hard. Not to mention your smash attacks won't kill him until well over 120% WELL OVER.

And if he doesn't die off the side he's ALWAYS going to have NO problem making it back with his side b, tornado, and up b. Plus there's always misfires.
1. you don't have to spike anyone to gimp him, try using Fair when he uses side-b to recover, also try banana plucking as he uses down b to recover then go for the edgehog if hits him, even better is if you have a banana in your hand and he's recovering with down b and you jump off stage to gimp him.

2. He isn't 'immune' to bananas, the only thing he is immune to are you smash attacks, you can still grab and tilt him if you're close enough, and most of the time you can dash attack him.

3. Diddy can combo luigi well to, and not with bananas. I was putting 60% on BigLou's Luigi a few stock in tournament sets over the weekend by Usmashing him at 0, then Usmash again and e'd usually nair out of the 2nd Usmash when you can Uair out of the hitstun and continue to juggle him until they get out. Basically, Usmash ***** Luigi.

tocador

Smash Lord
I know that this isnt going to help, but Luigi is the only char i counterpick with diddy!

To the ones that cant see how hard it is as a matchups, let me try to enlighten you:

We cant nana combo him, so that makes our ground game kinda sucky. He can even camp us with fireballs, cause we dont have an attack that can punish him for that. Peanuts get destroyed way too easily,so camping with it isnt that good, otherwise he can just Fair them. GT to F-smash/Up-B is imba.

I mean, sure, we have come tools like d-tilt and Fair to try to beat him, but as one once told me, we have to play not like diddy, but like a Marth: Spacing fair's and gimping him the most we can! And ,IMO, diddy hump grab or diddy hump chuck norris kick is actually nice in this MU, because besides it being a grab follow up to even nanas, the kick pushes him way to far for him to grab you!

Edit: I know that it isnt impossible to win aggainst luigi as diddy, but the fact is: You need to completly change your play stile in this MU, and even tho he is going to have the advantage, so thats why i usually just CP luigi =D!

Gnes

Smash Master

We're not talking about Boss, were talking about the chr. luigi. U say its not easy to gimp him but randomly jumping off for a spike is not the correct way to try and gimp.

Boss should not be killing u that early with f-smash. With proper DI ive survived at 90% though considering that diddy has more range than luigi he shouldn't be getting in your zone that easily.

But thats enough about luigi, this thread's current discussion is marth :).

thumbswayup

Smash Master
1. you don't have to spike anyone to gimp him, try using Fair when he uses side-b to recover, also try banana plucking as he uses down b to recover then go for the edgehog if hits him, even better is if you have a banana in your hand and he's recovering with down b and you jump off stage to gimp him.

2. He isn't 'immune' to bananas, the only thing he is immune to are you smash attacks, you can still grab and tilt him if you're close enough, and most of the time you can dash attack him.

3. Diddy can combo luigi well to, and not with bananas. I was putting 60% on BigLou's Luigi a few stock in tournament sets over the weekend by Usmashing him at 0, then Usmash again and e'd usually nair out of the 2nd Usmash when you can Uair out of the hitstun and continue to juggle him until they get out. Basically, Usmash ***** Luigi.
I already do a lot of that stuff off the edge. I will start spamming upsmash on him now though :p

We're not talking about Boss, were talking about the chr. luigi. U say its not easy to gimp him but randomly jumping off for a spike is not the correct way to try and gimp.

Boss should not be killing u that early with f-smash. With proper DI ive survived at 90% though considering that diddy has more range than luigi he shouldn't be getting in your zone that easily.

But thats enough about luigi, this thread's current discussion is marth :).
Too bad Boss is the best Luigi, and one of the only ones in fact. It's important to bring him up because he's the Luigi you're gonna have to beat if you ever face one in tourny (other than BigLou). So we should talk strategies that are going to work against the best. I don't randomly jump off for a spike against him, I've just been gimped by him sooooo many times in attempting a spike that I am scared to try sometimes lol. I'm pretty that fsmash kills at 80% even with DI. In a teams tourny match Boss fsmashed me on the right side of Yoshi's and I was at 79%. I DI'd it and went flying nearly straight up, dying almost immediately with no hope of surviving even with perfect DI. That fsmash is broken I tell ya.

Esca

Smash Champion
I said I started playing them recently and I find myself struggling. When I said "No" I meant that your argument was faulty. GT to grab only works a little more or a little less than half the time because of that stupid wave dash Luigi has after the banana connects. That and it seems ridiculous to say that Luigi isn't that hard of a match-up. Even if you know the match-up, it's still stupidly hard because of the advantages Luigi has.

That is all.
Luigi doesn't have the advantage in that matchup, lmao.

Because you don't fully grasp the matchup, you're going to deem it difficult for the Diddy to struggle with him.

Luigi is simple to beat.

This is assuming Top Vs. Top though.

ADHD vs. Boss. Let's see it.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
Luigi doesn't have the advantage in that matchup, lmao.

Because you don't fully grasp the matchup, you're going to deem it difficult for the Diddy to struggle with him.

Luigi is simple to beat.

This is assuming Top Vs. Top though.

ADHD vs. Boss. Let's see it.
Just going to say you're the first Diddy to say that this is in Diddy's favor (from what I have read at least). I don't know why you only reply to my posts; almost every post above me talks about how we, as a character, fall below Luigi in the match-up.

Assuming top vs. top. This is a hard match-up. Period. I think ADHD can beat Boss, but I also believe Boss can do the same to ADHD. ADHD is a phenomenal player, that goes without saying, that however, does not make this match-up any easier.

-I like your signature Esca...it's tight. :]

I don't really have anything to say to anyone else posting...fun reads though...keep going.

Esca

Smash Champion
Well perhaps it's just personal experience then.

I, myself, have never really had that much trouble with Luigi.

But I dunno why I have trouble with Zelda.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Wanna lose your money again Dekar? lol jk.. you was good. Surprised me. But I'm not going to be at SWAT =[

Gnes

Smash Master
GTFO out of the this thread or ILL TAKE ALL OF YOUR MONEY :)

Can u guys get back on topic??? Were talking about Hanson's BOLD STATEMENT that marth vs diddy is even.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
Can u guys get back on topic??? Were talking about Hanson's BOLD STATEMENT that marth vs diddy is even.
This sounds nice, I've voice my opinion on the match-up but it seems like Luigi is a more popular topic right now.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Why I Think Diddy Goes Even With Marth

I've had a pretty quiet competitive year so far in 2009 as far as tournaments go, but I've been spending a great deal of time looking at alternate routes to advance the meta-game. I've been logging a lot of time at Smash-fests both big and small, experimenting with different facets of the game and getting my *** kicked with them until I make them work for me.

The latest avenue that I have been exploring with Diddy Kong is his mid-range game. I touched on the idea a bit before in the most recent thread discussing the ROB match-up, but discovering the strength of Diddy's ability to safely zone many characters from a defensive posture while still being able to apply offensive pressure at the drop of a dime has been personally groundbreaking to me.

The idea here is that you essentially remain far enough outside of the reach of your opponent's go-to attacks, but just close enough to where you are still able to harass and provoke your opponent, bait specific attacks and accordingly punish his or her cool-down. As your opponent inches closer, you readjust your spacing to still remain outside of his range, until you have prepped your setups and are ready to bait an attack, draw out a mistake, deal the maximum damage possible, and retreat.

This is different from traditional camping in a number of ways:

1. you are still engaging your opponent
  2. you are not posting up on the opposite side of the stage aimlessly trying to force an approach with popgun
  3. you are not manipulating stage-specific terrain to actually discourage engagement
  4. you are still in close enough proximity where your opponent will always feel, for one reason or another, mentally compelled to approach
  5. even your method of retreat in order to reset your spacing can be deployed as bait
I feel that the fourth point is especially crucial to my argument in favor of the strength of Diddy's mid-range game. As long as you are the one forcing the other character's approach, you will almost always be the one who is in positional control and advantage.

I recorded exactly seven friendlies against KOS-MOS' Marth a couple of weeks ago, and they are all linked in chronological order. I feel that my performance against his Marth gradually improved as the night wore on as I experimented with the rigors and limits of Diddy's mid-range game. Here are some free-association thoughts that I had about that night (i.e. more bullets!):

• Marth is most effective in the match-up against Diddy Kong when he is inside of our space while we are unarmed. Even when we are armed with a banana peel, his aerial attacks have very large grab ranges and are actually quite proficient at snatching them out of the air. My renewed focus in this match-up deals with, obviously, staying just beyond this range until it is safe to attack.

• When proper mid-range bait games and retreats are applied, Marth literally has no other option but to approach. It is well-documented that Marth usually has a decently high success rate with being able to approach characters who force his hand despite not having a projectile of his own, but if he is zoned correctly, his options can limited solely to his safest and sometimes only choice: F-air.

• Marth's F-air, for all intents and purposes, is a relatively reliable method of approach. It has instantaneous start-up and is virtually unobservable cool-down, especially when it is fast-fallen. It is not, however, 100% safe against Diddy's shield. SHed F-airs require a really precise degree of both horizontal and vertical spacing in order for it to be unpunishable against a grounded opponent. In many cases, this isn't even the type of F-air that you wll have to deal with. F-airing is generally an attack that is the cornerstone of great and mediocre Marth players alike, and it can be baited and punished with surprising ease.

Actually expecting Marth to SH F-air and prepping a method of counterattacking long before hand makes containing and thwarting his approaches much, much simpler – if if you don't have a banana peel.

• Although Marth's rush-down game is quite effective, its utility is diminished somewhat against Diddy Kong. Banana peels are amazing at buying a few precious moments of time in temporarily discouraging his approach or pursuit, and these traps can even be set up while Diddy is running away. My go-to method for retreat is usually a smashed Monkey Flip over my opponent whenever I'm cornered with a banana peel, and then I will cross up with either a Z-dropped banana peel or a thrown peel in the opposite direction after I have baited an approach.

Additionally, Diddy has a handful of great options to punish Marth's pursuit during feint retreats: his foxtrot, canceling your dash with shield, reversed dash attack and reversed Diddy Kick or Diddy Hump all allow him to change directions and reverse his momentum at the drop of a hat. Even well-spaced F-tilts in the opposite direction while you are in the middle of walking or running away becomes a viable resource for stuffing Marth's F-air approach.

• ADHD has popularized in recent months an advanced, über-gay camping tactic with Diddy, involving firing off the Peanut Popgun in one hand and holding a banana peel in the other...while standing behind your second banana peel. In this position, Diddy Kong is almost completely safe, and is actually quite instrumental in forcing opponents to disengage from his or her aggression, and resetting positions back to neutral. This works quite well as a tempo breaker if you feel you have temporarily lost control of a match.

I find, however, that you are not armed with a banana peel, opponents generally feel that is actually safer to be aggressive. Simply standing behind a banana peel while charging or shooting the popgun will, more often than not, compel a number of characters to take to the air, try to jump over the banana peel, knock the peanut out of its trajectory and try to stab you with an aerial. All that needs to be done in order to turn this into a bait tactic is to simply cancel your popgun charge and shield, or shield in-between peanut blasts. From here, you can shield-grab your opponent, or simply let them slip on the banana peel on the ground in front of you.

Sometimes, opponents will just simply try and walk up to the banana peel in front of you, try to pick it up, and slip. LOL. Either way, they will immediately lose positional advantage.

Other banana-less tactics I use to draw out attacks are running shields. Marths in general will most likely try to F-air you or even use Dolphin Slash. *shrug* There's just something about a Diddy that doesn't have a banana peel that looks so enticing for people to want to attack without thinking.

These are all tactics that I started to cook up against Roy_R at WHOBO, and they were actually mostly refined in my *ss-beat sessions against KOS-MOS' Peach over the course of the last several weeks. All of these mid-range baiting tactics revolved around punishing any cool-down on Peach's attacks that I might have been able to expose. My efforts were only modestly successful in the regard that I kept me from being three-stocked twice.

Moving from the Peach match-up and applying these newly revised tactics against KM's Marth, however, yielded a high degree of success. I found myself in significantly less bad situations where I was caught unarmed and zoned by Marth's dominant aerial game, and I found quickly that I even actually had a great deal more mobility than Marth whenever I manipulated certain scenarios to arise. Best of all, I was actually able to punish cool-down on virtually every single one of his moves once I baited them. This was the key difference between why I currently do so badly against KM's Peach as opposed to his Marth: Marth actually has just enough cool-down animations on most of his moves for me to capitalize on.

How ironic is it that I have to get wrecked at a Peach to realize that Marth actually isn't bad...at all?

This series of seven matches are the best recorded performances I have ever had against a high-level Marth in general, and I think that's saying a lot, considering I used to get routinely 2- and 3-stocked by both Roy and KM.

Does this mean that the match-up is actually easy? No, not by any stretch of the imagination. Recovering can still be a bit of a hassle, and I generally still have to approach Marths with a cautionary poise; otherwise I will be eating steel for the majority of the match. I'm still working out which aspects of my mid-range camping game actually works, since my attempts usually got stuffed if I stayed in one spot too long. Oh yeah, and I still occasionally eat sweet-spotted F-smashes.

None of these tactics are necessarily fool-proof in the Marth match-up, and there are certainly things I can still iron out. At the moment though, it feels good to be able to consistently roll out victories against a character I considered one of my worst match-ups, once upon a time.

I think it's safe to say that Marth no longer strikes fear in my heart. There really isn't anything to be afraid of, frankly.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Ummm, why don't you play against his Peach the same way you did against his Marth? I think you would beat his Peach fairly consistently if you were to play as if he was Marth...Its not like any of Peaches moves are that much better than Marth's Fair.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
wow

LOL

peach
has
NO LAG

she
also
zones
air
and
ground
AT THE SAME TIME

You don't know a lick about the Peach match-up, do you?

Oh wait, you've played Snakeee's Peach before. TURTLE TOO GOOD

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Your right, I don't play a lot of Peaches, but do you know the Peach matchup? I'm not that good, Snakeee beat me consistently with ZSS and Zelda, so can you please explain to me why his Peach is a piece of cake...Is it really that his Peach is so inferior to his other characters, because I don't think he would have used Peach if he didn't think it was tournament viable yet...If Peach is such a counter as you claim her to be, all things considering, I should have gotten ***** by Snakeee...so how do you explain the opposite? (Any one record Kos-Mos vs. ADHD?)

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Your right, I don't play a lot of Peaches, but do you know the Peach matchup? I'm not that good, Snakeee beat me consistently with ZSS and Zelda, so can you please explain to me why his Peach is a piece of cake...Is it really that his Peach is so inferior to his other characters, because I don't think he would have used Peach if he didn't think it was tournament viable yet...If Peach is such a counter as you claim her to be, all things considering, I should have gotten ***** by Snakeee...so how do you explain the opposite? (Any one record Kos-Mos vs. ADHD?)
Okay, so I was pretty intentionally rude with my last post, so I apologize. It just seems like you're purposefully sidestepping things that I have already gone out of my way to clarify in order to congest this argument further.

For instance, I have already mentioned how that I used to somewhat handily compete with KOS-MOS' Peach before his transformation into the country's most premiere Peach player this past February. The way he plays the match-up now is not how he had been playing it at all up through January since Brawl's release. He has literally flipped the entire script on me and has drastically altered the way he approaches the match-up. It is such a departure from how he used to deal with Diddy that if all Peach mains (the few of them that exist) were to emulate his tactics, I think Peach would very well emerge as one of Diddy's Top 3 Worst Match-Ups Ever.

The only reason I put Peach in the number one slot at the moment is because I'm still trying to adjust and find solid strategies against this new Peach of his, which I hope is only a matter of time. As it stands though, his Peach gives me more hell than any Marth, Luigi or Meta Knight before him, and I hope to never have to play him in tournament again until I can figure out what to do.

As far as Snakeee goes, I really don't understand why his Peach is worthy of even being name-dropped. I've never heard of him doing anything competitively noteworthy or meta-game-breaking with her, and as far as I know, it sounds like just footnote secondary. If Snakeee had a well-documented history of being insanely proficient with a number of characters like Azen or NinjaLink, this would be a different story. Best to my knowledge, though, this is not the case; until I play Snakeee's Peach or see a series of videos demonstrating the consistency of his play-style, I'm going to have to maintain my reservations that his Peach is nothing even worth mentioning.

So, you're argument is reduced to this: "I managed to beat so-and-so's second- and third-stringers, so that character can't be that bad." This amounts to being little more than an effort to artificially bolster your arguments, and it unfortunately does not work very well. Also, being confident enough to wheel out said secondaries in tournament does not tell the whole story. Not even close.

No offense to you, Snakeee, wherever art thou.

The best part about this is that you've been trying to give me Peach advice that is not only rooted in your own mild exposure to the match-up, but directly conflicts with the rigors of frame data. On top of this, you even concede that you are uncertain about the match-up all together, but then you decide to challenge my claims based on those grounds?

I'm just really confused.

Who knows, though? - Perhaps Snakeee is Peach Boards' best kept secret, and that you are a better Diddy player than ADHD, NinjaLink or myself in that match-up.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
The only reason I put Peach in the number one slot at the moment is because I'm still trying to adjust and find solid strategies against this new Peach of his, which I hope is only a matter of time. As it stands though, his Peach gives me more hell than any Marth, Luigi or Meta Knight before him, and I hope to never have to play him in tournament again until I can figure out what to do.

Perhaps Snakeee is Peach Boards' best kept secret, and that you are a better Diddy player than ADHD, NinjaLink or myself in that match-up.
That happens all the time with JJ and me, when I first picked up Diddy, I destroyed him, then when he learned the matchup, he destroyed me, then I finally realized that what I was doing initially were actually bad habits in disguise...I think its the same with you and Kos-Mos. Your videos against his Peach didn't impress me much (Too much sitting in shield [Which is why I think you jumped the gun in saying that Peach zones so well when you let him determine the spacing], rolling behind Floated Dairs, falling into Fsmashes and getting KO'ed at 100% from the middle of the stage). Honestly, it looked like you had a bad night...The "Peach advice" I've been trying to give isn't as much to do with the Peach matchup, its more of trying to get you to notice things what you have been accustomed to doing, but have turned into bad habits…He has since learned the Diddy matchup, give it a little time for Diddy's to learn the Peach matchup. Basically, when you said you had video evidence, I wanted to see a video of Peach beating Diddy and not a video of Kos-Mos outplaying LeThien. I just think you are a little premature in declaring Peach one of Diddy's worst matchups.

The only thing that makes me second guess myself is that Kos-Mos did well against ADHD…but even ADHD didn't concede that Peach has an advantage over Diddy, which is why I was so curious about the recordings…Your right that Snakee's Peach may not play correctly against Diddy, but then nobody who hasn't played Kos-Mos can argue against you (Is TX going to GameUnicon?). And I'm sorry that I don't have a big name, but since when did you, NL, or ADHD know what to do against Peach…

ADHD

Smash Hero
Nobody does yet that matchup is going to change quite a bit in the future of this metagame. KOSMOS is currently ahead of us all matchup wise.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Basically, when you said you had video evidence, I wanted to see a video of Peach beating Diddy and not a video of Kos-Mos outplaying LeThien. I just think you are a little premature in declaring Peach one of Diddy's worst matchups.
Okay.

Consider this:

KOS-MOS has run through rungs of many notable Diddy Kong players around the country. It started when he flipped the script on me in February; subsequently, he has also made a tear through FlipHop and Gness (who actually mained Peach, once upon a time) of Houston, TX, BoRn (formerly known as Royal Nynja) of Wichita, KS, and now both NinjaLink and ADHD on the East Coast. That's six Diddy players that you have at least heard of periodically around these parts who have all been beaten by KOS-MOS by a ridiculously large margin.

Every single one of us has conceded that when a Peach plays the match-up correctly and in that manner, the match-up becomes insurmountably more difficult. How many more testimonials you need from Diddy mains around the globe in order for you to even consider the possibility that Peach is a difficult match-up?

It's very possible that the gap on this match-up as it is presently played can eventually be closed, but none of us know this for sure. All you are saying is, "Learn the match-up better, and it won't be so hard," but you offered nothing but suggestions that directly contradict frame data; this leads me to believe that not only do you have no idea how about how this specific match-up is played, but that you also severely underrate Peach's capabilities.

This isn't an exclusive appeal to authority in order to win you over in my argument, but the simple fact of the matter is that KOS-MOS has played all of the best players in the South and western side of the Midwest, as well as several prominent players on the East Coast. So far, reactions to his skill with Peach and in general have been unanimously favorable. Diminishing the impact of the immensity of his talent simply because you haven't experienced it firsthand is, in the very least, daft as ****.

If the Indomitable Turtle of Massachusetts can beat KOS-MOS in a MM, I will be happy to concede to you that the Peach match-up is in Diddy's favor. I will even let you personally assign the match-up ratio.

Godspeed to you, kid.

Top Bottom