• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Rizen

Smash Legend
I agree, the new format sucks. Where's the multi quote?
But yeah, Link pretty much sucks. For any given MU at least two of the co-mains can do significantly better than Link. The life of a Link main. *sigh* It's all about picking your poison. :/
Yeah :(. I played my 6th all Link tourney yesterday and didn't do too well. I could have gotten 2nd or 3rd going other characters. But I got good friendlies, hopefully replays and good Link rep :) . The ICs I lost to I 2 stocked a few times in friendlies with G&W :/ (the SD with Link sucked). We had a good turn out 20-30 some people :) .

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I'd hate to introduce myself like this, but I'm relatively new to competetive Link. I hope you guys accept me as a fellow Link; I also know all of you, since I used to read every page here before I signed up.
So, I know how to play Link, but I always end up being forced to attack 1 on 1. Do you guys have any suggestions to help me with this? I'm asking because I have an upcoming tournament, and it appears that there will be a lot of top tiers. Thanks. :)
By the way, I second Toon Link and Kirby and Ganon. Also, I'd like it if you guys refer to me as FB, but anything is fine. Thanks!

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'd hate to introduce myself like this, but I'm relatively new to competetive Link. I hope you guys accept me as a fellow Link; I also know all of you, since I used to read every page here before I signed up.
So, I know how to play Link, but I always end up being forced to attack 1 on 1. Do you guys have any suggestions to help me with this? I'm asking because I have an upcoming tournament, and it appears that there will be a lot of top tiers. Thanks. :)
By the way, I second Toon Link and Kirby and Ganon. Also, I'd like it if you guys refer to me as FB, but anything is fine. Thanks!
Hi, welcome to the Link forums :) . Read this http://www.smashboards.com/threads/325062/
Link has a relatively good passive aggressive game but an easily countered direct game. Try to keep tip of attack (for sword/Zair) spacing and mix projectiles, Zair and 'A' attacks to create openings while moving with SHs. Only pressure the opponent if they're in a bad spot (recovering, off balance from your spamming, etc). Link's the 3rd worst character so you'll face a lot of bad MUs :[

Good luck.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Stalker. What's my favorite flavor of soup?

No, it's good to meet you (and have you not lurking anymore)! It'd be cool to play you on WiFi sometime. I'm terrible with critique but over the past few months people tell me they've found it helpful to play me (even if it's WiFi).

I've practiced a little bit in prep for a local tourney I'm going to next month (yeayuz) and I've found that in a one on one situation Link needs to stick to quick, basic options to keep opponents away. Rizen once said something to the effect that Link is a spacing character that doesn't space well, and I've found that to be true.
Techniques that have helped me a lot are jab cancels, SHFF bairs and fairs (Rizen is a pro at fairs). Learn to jab cancel quick and alternate between one- and two-hit cancels, leading into utilts, grabs, downsmashes, or stuttered fsmashes (if that's the phrase for it--take a quick step back to get some space and then do a reverse fsmash).
B/F throw can combo into itself when an opponent isn't looking for it at low percents. This works well on characters like Snake and D3. If you whiff on either you'll take a beating, so do it sparingly, but when you do it correctly its a nice little mindgame and racks on decent damage. You can do that one or two times and then end it with pummel>ground release>dsmash. You can also mix it up with stutter step fsmashes or lead into more jab cancels.

If you're above an opponent pull out a bomb if you have time and throw it down, then FF nair or the like. Players expect Link to FF nair into them so they can shield>OoS option attack/grab him. The bomb + nair combo will do enough hitstun to allow you to jump away again.

I've come to realize that my air game needs a lot of work, so my focus is mostly on my ground game. Those are some tips that have been working for me.

Link's offstage game is good enough to get him back to the stage most of the time if you DI'ed well at the initial hit. Learn proper DI/SDI (if you haven't already) for the high tier characters and then just keep the opponent far enough away that you can scare them away with his UpB, which has transcendental priority. This means that your opponent has to outrange your UpB or strike from above and behind Link, so you'll most likely recover. His recovery was meant to get him back to the stage and no more, and that's exactly what it does.

Let me know what you think FastBlade (and everyone else).

kyroN

Smash Cadet
I've tried to main other characters but I find myself always wandering back to Link even though he is a horrible character. I am just too attached. ;-;

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207

No, it's good to meet you (and have you not lurking anymore)! It'd be cool to play you on WiFi sometime. I'm terrible with critique but over the past few months people tell me they've found it helpful to play me (even if it's WiFi).

I've practiced a little bit in prep for a local tourney I'm going to next month (yeayuz) and I've found that in a one on one situation Link needs to stick to quick, basic options to keep opponents away. Rizen once said something to the effect that Link is a spacing character that doesn't space well, and I've found that to be true.
Techniques that have helped me a lot are jab cancels, SHFF bairs and fairs (Rizen is a pro at fairs). Learn to jab cancel quick and alternate between one- and two-hit cancels, leading into utilts, grabs, downsmashes, or stuttered fsmashes (if that's the phrase for it--take a quick step back to get some space and then do a reverse fsmash).
B/F throw can combo into itself when an opponent isn't looking for it at low percents. This works well on characters like Snake and D3. If you whiff on either you'll take a beating, so do it sparingly, but when you do it correctly its a nice little mindgame and racks on decent damage. You can do that one or two times and then end it with pummel>ground release>dsmash. You can also mix it up with stutter step fsmashes or lead into more jab cancels.

If you're above an opponent pull out a bomb if you have time and throw it down, then FF nair or the like. Players expect Link to FF nair into them so they can shield>OoS option attack/grab him. The bomb + nair combo will do enough hitstun to allow you to jump away again.

I've come to realize that my air game needs a lot of work, so my focus is mostly on my ground game. Those are some tips that have been working for me.

Link's offstage game is good enough to get him back to the stage most of the time if you DI'ed well at the initial hit. Learn proper DI/SDI (if you haven't already) for the high tier characters and then just keep the opponent far enough away that you can scare them away with his UpB, which has transcendental priority. This means that your opponent has to outrange your UpB or strike from above and behind Link, so you'll most likely recover. His recovery was meant to get him back to the stage and no more, and that's exactly what it does.

Let me know what you think FastBlade (and everyone else).
Hi, welcome to the Link forums :) . Read this http://www.smashboards.com/threads/325062/
Link has a relatively good passive aggressive game but an easily countered direct game. Try to keep tip of attack (for sword/Zair) spacing and mix projectiles, Zair and 'A' attacks to create openings while moving with SHs. Only pressure the opponent if they're in a bad spot (recovering, off balance from your spamming, etc). Link's the 3rd worst character so you'll face a lot of bad MUs :[

Good luck.
Thanks, Rizen and Anonano! Thanks for the guides, most of the advice given has helped. I also noticed that I play a lot like Rizen, at least based off of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mogRqrKJpCo#t=12s
I'm still working on my DI, but so far I can live up to about 170% against Snake, and 156% with Dedede. Lighter hitters let me live to about 200% if I'm lucky.
So, thanks you guys. I hope this thread get's more activity; lately it's been really quiet. Oh, and Anonano, I'll probably be able to play this weekend, hopefully, if your available. :)
I agree, Bomber, Toon Link is very fun to play as.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I've tried to main other characters but I find myself always wandering back to Link even though he is a horrible character. I am just too attached. ;-;
TL is more fun to me, but when you get to the gist of things, I'm really unbais because TL and Link are hard core bomb throwers. I love bombs. :)

kyroN

Smash Cadet
I tried to play Tink. His floatiness caused problems for me when I was playing competitively. :x

I guess I have to live the life of a main of a terrible character. Maybe I can find a sub but blah. I've been using Link since 64. lol

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Link has his advantages over TL, imo. When it comes to some aspects of mobility, I like Link more. TL is so light and I had the hardest time learning to control him. Like seriously, I go to try and short hop and he does a full hop. I full hope and he jumps half way up the screen. With Link, he's so heavy, you can short hop easily no problem, hit the ground fast, jab cancel your landing lag, and get flashy.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Liking my post. Ha! A clever way to dodge the question, Fastblade--yet it still stands. So:

EDIT: Fastblade, I'll be available tomorrow after 7pm EST. You can check the Link WiFi thread for my Brawl Code. Lookin' forward to it! :)

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Why, bomb and Zair soup, of course! nah, I don't know. Anyway, I'll try to get on tommorow, if I can get on in time.

I'm typing this on my Wii U, so no smilies or font changes work. Oh well. If only I could use a Gamecube controller with it.

Umashi

Smash Cadet
Hi there I'm umashi I took a break from brawl and am trying to get back into it. Link has always been my favorite since 64 but I'm not very good with him... so I was hoping for some advice and guidance. I want to be a better player and I would like my main to be link. (although I do play toon link I know ) I just love link so much. Link will always be my favorite but wind waker is my second favorite Zelda game. I'm going to a tournament in march and would love to at least hold my own in some matches with link. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Okay, I apologize for the delay but I'll be on the chat page in about 30 minutes to play.

EDIT: I'm on. Come to me now mere mortals!

Maaan ya'll bailed on me except for Kotier D: (To those of you who checked on around 4pm EST my apologies however)

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Sorry, I missed you, Anonano. Will you be on tomorrow? My WiFi is acting up, by the way. Oh, and do you still use/second Lucario? If so, I'd like to take him on. The Lucario matchup is one of my favorites, rivalled only by Bowser and Snake, and Samus.
Smashboards on the Wii U is amazing, by the way.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
K, let's see if my WiFi lets me. Now's a meh time, though, since everyone in my family is using our internet. Oh, and the Xat page is broken for me.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Oh, ok. I'll just message you then (and hope that works for the Wii U <.<)

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'll wifi sometime. Good luck at the tourney Ano :)
After Ano's done I might play FB. KOTier Wolf might too.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Hi there I'm umashi I took a break from brawl and am trying to get back into it. Link has always been my favorite since 64 but I'm not very good with him... so I was hoping for some advice and guidance. I want to be a better player and I would like my main to be link. (although I do play toon link I know ) I just love link so much. Link will always be my favorite but wind waker is my second favorite Zelda game. I'm going to a tournament in march and would love to at least hold my own in some matches with link. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Welcome to the Link board! I hope you enjoy your stay!

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Heh, well... I took my Link to play some really good players on fsmash.org, and got my anus handed to me 2/3 times. The 2 times I lost, daggonnit... He didn't even main Link and I got 2-stocked. Insanely good spacing. Plus, the next match I faced a Peach and... Failed horribly.

I got a whole lot to learn, it seems. So... I'll lurk on this board more than I should as of now. :D

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Sure :)

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I don't like characters that have air combos like MK, Peach, Mario, and Luigi. I may be warming up again to competitive Smash but my DI still isn't good enough to get me out of those combos quick enough.

Luigi's priority absolutely wrecks.

EDIT: For those of you who use your Wiis/Wii Us to check Smash World Forums, I highly recommend grabbing a laptop so that Xat is usable for you guys. It is extremely useful for arranging matches. So if anybody at all is interested in WiFi'ing it up this weekend or just wants to informally chat just check Xat around 12:30p.m. EST on Saturday. I'll be on then.

And yes lurkers, you are invited too. You don't need an account to use Xat.

EDIT 2: Apparently the tourney I'm going to won't have any streaming/recording for Brawl. I was looking forward to posting the stream address here so you could support. :(

EDIT 3: This is something I just noticed on Foxy's Complete AT Thread. I don't think I've ever seen this technique applied by anybody and it looks like pretty much a "get back on stage for free" kind of card to me if you can do it consistently. Anybody have any thoughts on this? I've never thought this was possible before I read this tbh.

Demonic Zair
How to Perform: Grab the Ledge, Hit away from the ledge, Instantly DI back towards the ledge, Instantly Double Jump towards under the lip and Instantly use Zair.
Effect: Link will move away from the ledge, Jump right up against the lower lip part and use Zair, then return to the Stage using Zair without the Zair turning into a tether and grabbing the ledge.
Note: This is possible to do with Link, it's just really hard (don't worry if you mess it up, simply Up-B and you will be fine). If you find yourself Tethering instead of Zairing, you will either need to DI back towards stage sooner of Jump later. If you find yourself Zairing but you don't jump high enough to get back on stage, you will need to Jump sooner. This is a good surprise attack and a very safe way to return on stage because of the spacing and cancelled lag. It also obviously has more range then most of your attacks when returning, so if your opponent is expecting another move and takes an extra step back, the Demonic Zair will do the job nicely.
Stages: Battle Field, Delfino Plaza, Pirate Ship, Norfair, Halberd, Spear Pillar, Castle Siege, Distant Planet, Smashville, New Pork City, Hanenbow, Temple, Jungle Japes, Corneria and Brinstar.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link's not happy when a character can get in his face :(.

Demonic Zair is very difficult with Link because his jump is low and it puts Link in a vulnerable spot if he misses, offstage with no 2nd jump. Zair does have a lot of ending lag if not canceled.
IMO it's not worth it. Link can ledge stall with a boomerang/arrow/bomb or bomb pull if the opponent's that far back instead. Link's ledge hop Fair/Nair are easier and safer if the opponent's in range and also landing cancel. Zair's damage is relatively bad too; for it to do 10% the opponent must be close enough that Fair would work better anyway.

Link should be able to charge an arrow (fire arrow) and hold the charge like Sheik's needles. If it was a fire arrow it would make sense too. Link's arrows should be transcendent; Space animal's lasers are so it's not overpowered or unheard of.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I don't like characters that have air combos like MK, Peach, Mario, and Luigi. I may be warming up again to competitive Smash but my DI still isn't good enough to get me out of those combos quick enough.

Luigi's priority absolutely wrecks.

EDIT: For those of you who use your Wiis/Wii Us to check Smash World Forums, I highly recommend grabbing a laptop so that Xat is usable for you guys. It is extremely useful for arranging matches. So if anybody at all is interested in WiFi'ing it up this weekend or just wants to informally chat just check Xat around 12:30p.m. EST on Saturday. I'll be on then.

And yes lurkers, you are invited too. You don't need an account to use Xat.
I completely agree, though :zerosuitsamus: and :pit: are much worse for me. And I can also relate to DI.

Don't forget 3DS. Smashboards works, but posting is a nightmare and it takes forever to load the pages.
Yaay! I'm invi- oh wait.

On an off topic note, I love fighting regular :samus: . And :lucario: . So fun.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Good late luck. Watch out for Nair. Out-camp him, and stay sharp. Use good DI; Pit hits hard, but weak enough for Link to live a long time. And remember all of your projectiles. Remember; he can reflect them. Bombs and Zair are your friends here. Dair is reliable too. And remember; you are momentarily Link. Memorize his style. Pit's fighting style is somewhat straightforward, so use that to your advantage.

Watch out for this.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Bombs outprioritize arrows. Throw them at Pit when he pulls out arrows and the arrows will hit him before his cooldown ends.

In fact, pulling bombs, retreating and jump cancelled bthrowing bombs is probably a good way to get a free hit in every once in a while as he lols, pulls out an arrow to hit you and eats explosion.

I hope that at the time you saw this forum earlier today, a wormhole opened right across the server's connections right as I posted this and you got to see our advice before you played.

And then I hope that you did well.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I did alright, actually. Was only one-stocked when I got him to at least 110% (IIRC, was probably lower). He was a brilliant Pit, so I didn't really expect to win. The Wi-Fi Brawling is a little bit new to me since I've played offline 99% of the time.

Fast and Ano, I took your advise and DI'd his Usmash and Fsmash's fairly well. Didn't get a successful hit on Dair, however. I did adapt rather well, but I still lost since he seemed to be really unpredictable overall. My problem was... Due to Wi-Fi lag, I couldn't ledgehop, DACUS, SHFF, or even spam Zair properly. Not to mention I kind of Zair bomb dropped a bit too much.

We then had a Link ditto, but I ended up failing. Gah, his spacing was superb. I really need to work on mine.

Anyhow, thanks for the help. :D I'll heed this advice in the future when I use my Link (will probably main ZSS/my current secondary eventually, but I still wanna use my Link a lot).

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Well, good job regardless! Doing that well against a Pit is really impressive. I can relate, I'm generally out-spaced in Link dittos.
No! Don't let us Link's down! Ah, that's fine. Zero Suit Samus is fun, but I can't stand how weak she is. Expect to deal lot's of damage, but, unlike Link, it's gonna be a pain to kill.

Off topic, I just made a Dark Link support thread, if you guys wanna check it out!

Top Bottom