• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LCW-Ledge canceled wings (Video)

kupo15

Smash Hero
This is something interesting that I don't think has been found. If so, then I think we need to discuss it. If you use the WoI from the ground as if you were doing Mario's Aerial Cap Extension(ACE), then the ledge cancels the WoI. What happens is you WoI on the ground then slide off before Pit takes off.

You still have the same amount of jumps as if you just fell off. Keep in mind that this doesn't make you fall any taster or anything different than if you just walked off the ledge. It is very unfortunate that the canceled WoI does NOT have windpush effect. Maybe someone can find something special about the frames before the wings come out.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s90E-cPhIck

Possible applications:

Mindgames-Your opponent could think that you will launch off the ground with the WoI when you are not.

Timing-This makes it easier to time Aerials and specials while still keeping horizontal motion WITHOUT getting stuck on the ledge. It is very beneficial if you want to do neutrals while keeping horizontal motion like the Nair or arrow.

-Fast wing renewal movement- Since you keep your momentum after the cancel, you can use the second WoI to renew your wings while keeping swift and continuous motion. It is faster than renewing your wings on that ledge.

Double WoI- Since you lose nothing from this, you can WoI twice in a row

WoI ledge cancel to Wingland- You can use the second WoI to cancel with a Wingland on the platform below. This will be the quickest way to get to the lower platform, without lag, to perform any move.

WoI ledge cancel to Wingland to Wingdash- Self explanatory

Platform freedom- This can give you total descending, platform hopping freedom while keeping constant running motion from a dash.

Flashy- Because that is how Pit rolls!

Odd ledge canceled WoI

I was playing a match against sir lucario when my wings were canceled for some reason by the ledge. Just thought I warn ppl that this may happen

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcswMWJIr1o

Possible applications:

These are the only two I can think of atm

1. Mindgames
2. According to Aminar, you get all of your jumps back with this. So if you are next to the ledge with no choice other than to Up B with the foe edge gaurding, you could go for this cancel. It will renew your recovery options without the fear of getting hit out of your up b.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
first view on video lol.
seems more flashy then usefull.

wait i thought of something. i forgot but cant you WoI while gliding? you can do a auto cancel glide when touching the ledge. i cant test it as im in my aunts house.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Whoa... This is amazing. I can make people look soooo bad with this! ^_^ Thanks for yet another WoI find Kupo!

kown

Smash Lord
i wouldnt say its amazing yet or useful yet. I also havent tested it but ill wait till undr has his next vid and prolly shows off with it or something. you know kupo i was wondering what i fyou kept all these cool tricks to yourself? haha ud prolly be the best pit. thankfully you keep others in mind.

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
I thought everyone (by that I mean the more experianced, no offense) knew this already. Guess not.

But I usually use this off of the edge in combination with the bair and fair. And on the platforms on BF and stuff, I usually tap b again then dair, really good for MG cause you run off float real quick then dair (also cause it dings twice and can really confuzzle your opponents, won a tourney match with this) and it will cancel nicely and lead to combos if it hits.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Well it's new to me. ^_^

Anyway Kown next vid won't have this in it. Mainly because I'm compiling it as I type this. ^_^ But in the end I can totally see breaking somebody's shield, then pushing him off of platforms for the fun of it before landing a WingPivoted SugarBair.

Plus I know it will be funny on stages such as Norfair. Even if I never use it for practical purposes, if I can find something that will make my opponent look silly, I'm going to do it. ^_^

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Interesting new trick you found there. I'd add it to my Mindgames strategy pool if I knew how to do it.

kupo15

Smash Hero
lol thanks. If anything, atm I really believe it works extremely well to confuse your opponent and to provide walk off falling aerials esp the Nair while still moving forward. Do this test.
Try doing a dash off the ledge with a Nair while leaving your momentum uninterrupted. Also try doing the same thing with a Uair. Yes it is possible but many times I get stuck on the ledge. The Uair almost always turns into a hyphen dash Usmash (I think that is what it is called) and the Nair momentum is altered. The Fair usually turns into a dash attack. Also try doing a Dair without a fast fall. Could be tricky I think it provides easy timing for walk off aerials imo. This allows you to not be careful about timing your aerials when you are off the ledge without worrying about affecting your momentum.

I think it is also good for effective wing renewal to follow a foe off the ledge for Battlefield only (most effective stage other than Norfair)

NxC

Smash Apprentice
I've accidentally done this several times, but seeing it applied intentionally looks cool. Gotta love the shing-shing.

kupo15

Smash Hero
NxC: lol, if you time the second one right, it sounds like Pit does three WoI startups.

Sagemoon: I am sure it can be done. The tricky thing is keeping the momentum with the turnaround since you cant jump to perform this.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I think it has something going for it I think besides being fun!

Sagemoon: The only way I can do a RAR is through an AS. The turn around animation doesnt allow WoI from the ground

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Ok, this is some hot stuff. Trying doing this with B-Sticking. Not worth changing your controller configuration over but it's pretty cool. I can't wait to nerf Jasona's projectile spam with this.

Plus I wanna know how you did those two additional ones from :22-24... Was that the same as Ledge Canceling the WoI? Or was that something completely done during button mashing?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I got it to work. It's basically using the wings just before you fall off the platform. Though I dont play BF much because it kills off my arrow looping, this new set of mindgames with the Wings is a new feature i can use at that place... or Norfair (If someone actually picks that place).

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
I counter pick with norfair all the time, never been beaten on it. Now ppl are banning it at the tournies I go to so I counter pick corneria.

Anyways, You can do a b-reversal (I think) and reverse your momentum as you are going down, super useful for mindgames, but it is really hard to pull off, I can only do it like maybe 10% of the time.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Ok, this is some hot stuff. Trying doing this with B-Sticking. Not worth changing your controller configuration over but it's pretty cool. I can't wait to nerf Jasona's projectile spam with this.

Plus I wanna know how you did those two additional ones from :22-24... Was that the same as Ledge Canceling the WoI? Or was that something completely done during button mashing?
I would like to see this B sticking and your ideas on this. I don't use GC so I cant B stick because Nintendo lied yet again by saying controls will be fully customizable. How come I can't set D-up to Up special? Or C button to Dsmash?
Anyway, :22-:24 is only three. First one is canceled, second one is the Wingland, third one is the Wingdash.

I got it to work. It's basically using the wings just before you fall off the platform. Though I dont play BF much because it kills off my arrow looping, this new set of mindgames with the Wings is a new feature i can use at that place... or Norfair (If someone actually picks that place).
You need to play BF more to get comfortable. It doesn't really ruin your arrow looping that much once you are familiar. And it also helps with honing your arrow looping skills because of the platforms.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Ah ok. And what B-Sticking the Ledge Canceled WoI does is makes you jump just a frame or two after the WoI starts. In other words you can do this Up the platforms the same way you were going down with them. ^_^

Ryazan

Smash Ace
Don't arrows go through drop-through platforms? I can understand how it might make hitting the target harder, but not actually looping the arrows.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Ok so, I had some matches where this tech has been used against me and it has been a pretty good mindgame. Also, Undr seems to have found a use for this so should we find a name for it?

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
I vote for Ledge canceled WoI, simple and clean, tells you what it does, and for the most part you don't need to look up how to do it.

And since this sort of thing has been around since melee I think that it doesn't need a name change per se. But that is my opinion, and if everyone else wants to name it, please make it simple and straight forward, like ART.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Ok, I think this is another one that should be simple and now that you mention it, it has been around since melee like Link's falling up B. But Ledge Canceled WoI is a mouthful.

Felis

Smash Cadet
Ledge Canceled Wings: I like it. Anyone thinks different, post.
After much pondering *10 min* I would have to go with Kupo, I like that name short and clean and I couldn't come up
with a better one :laugh:. Ledge Canceled Wings FTW!

-Felis

kupo15

Smash Hero
I found this odd cancel while playing sir lucario. I think it happened twice but i need to rewatch my matches

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
That happens to me all the time gliding under final D. It restores all your jumps, which is handy. I think it's a glitch where you count as having grabbed the ledge the dropping.

Tipzntrix

Smash Apprentice
That happens to me all the time gliding under final D. It restores all your jumps, which is handy. I think it's a glitch where you count as having grabbed the ledge the dropping.
You can't grab the ledge of the battlefield floating platforms. If you're taking about Kupo's second video (odd WoI cancel), then perhaps you are right.

kupo15

Smash Hero
huh? That has happened to you all the time while gliding? How and are you sure? I was under the ledge. And you made me think of something. That could be good mindgames if we can perform it when we want. It can also act like in melee, being able to drop from the ledge as soon as you grab it, but without the invincibility frames.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I'm fairly positive, you just kinda hit under the lip of the stage just barely and start falling right. Try gliding under Final D and try to grab the ledge from the glide.

I've got a few replays I'm gonna record. They should be up in about 30 minutes.

kupo15

Smash Hero
ok thanks. I know there is a ledge glitch with Marth and Wolf (to name a few) that can up B twice, but that spot is above the ledge, not below. I never knew there was a spot below or that WoI can get canceled the way Marth and Wolf's can

kupo15

Smash Hero
interesting, so doing it that way makes it really easy. How about hitting that spot without going under? And I think doing that with the WoI when you want could be interesting.

I added possible applications

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
It reminds me of the time where I was facing this random Wolf, and he did the Wolf Flash (side b) at that same spot where u got your jumps back, and he got his jump back. I think what you showed us is very much similar to what I saw. It's interesting that Pit gots 2 ways of getting his jumps back. Good thing FD is my favorite place. :laugh:

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I've been trying to get it w/ wings, and I ledgesnap every time. All I can think of is somehow holding down to prevent the ledgesnap while moving up w/ wings. I dunno how that would work though.

Top Bottom