• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Last-Minute Help for Tournament

IceIsNice

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm new to SmashBoards. First, I would like to inform you that I have the original smash, and I do awesome with Samus. I don't get the chance to play melee that often either, but when I do, I'm practically unbeatable. Anways, this is what I need help with.

I have been looking around and I'm hearing that Samus is a bad choice for the tournament. Moreover, I don't know any of these combos that you are all talking about, so I'm pretty much going to have to wing it. To make matters even worse, I have absolutely no experience with Brawl, as I didn't order from Japan. I was wondering if some people here could give me some tips (that I would understand) about using Samus for the tournament. Thank you.

tempestknight

Smash Rookie
Well the one good thing about no Brawl experience is that you're probably not gonna be alone. As for why Samus can be a bad choice, it's that there's a very short time limit on the matches at the Gamestop tournaments (1 minute I think?). So while Brawl Samus can do a lot of damage and combo very well, she lacks easily preformed killing moves. Meaning that you're gonna have to get lucky with a throw, charge shot, or one of her other killing moves to make it anywhere. I'm probably using either Samus or Zamus, but really, it's Gamestop. Don't worry about how far you're going to go or what tactics you're going to use. Just enjoy playing Brawl for the first time.

FuLLBLeeD

Smash Journeyman
Watch Hylian's videos. Use chargeshot, missile cancel, and zair. Ultimately, Samus is a great character, but the 1 min time limit is some major BS. Oh well, at least you're not using Ike like a *****. :)

GL to you.

IceIsNice

Smash Rookie
Thank you. And knight, I appreciate you telling me to just have fun. I don't expect to go that far, so I'm really just looking to have fun and celebrate the US release of the game.

And BleeD, I don't know what missle cancel and zairs are.

IceIsNice

Smash Rookie
I know how to use a forum....

Also, I didn't find that thread helpful. Reread what I typed at the top. Once you do that, read some quotes from that linked page.

"...Grapple Boxing (Zair spam[shush, it's what I call it]), missile canceling, up-bing out of shield..."

"I'll Zair spam and H-Missle spam a lot to rack up damage..."

"Her kill moves are...Charge beam, Bair, UTilt, and Dair? Is that right?"

"If you do want to use samus, remember..CC does not work now. Up B out of shield a lot and ftilt them away. Dtilt will kill around 120 so don't use it until then. If you fsmash make sure and angle it up. Has more knockback that way. Dash attack is great against noobs as well. Don't even mess with her projectile game."

I have almost no idea what these mean, save for charge beam.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
'zair' refers to using Samus' grapple (with the 'z' button) in the air. If you land with this move out most/all of the lag is canceled - it's very hard to punish.

'H-missile' refers to 'homing missile.' If you hit B while holding left or right (in contrast to smashing it as you hit B) you'll fire a homing missile, which like the zair has very little lag if you land with it at the proper time.

'Bair' = back air
'Utilt' = up tilt
'dair' = down air

I'd like to add that her forward and down smashes KO fine as well.

'CC' refers to crouch canceling. In Melee, if you were hit while crouching (holding down), you didn't get knocked back nearly as far. This had a number of uses, especially with Samus. Either she can't do that in Brawl or it's significantly different.

All of this information is available in other threads if you simply took the time to read around.

From what I understand, a simple enough strategy for you to employ is to just spam your grapple in the air to keep your opponent from being able to get in close, until they have high enough damage that you may want to try for a KO with a charge shot, forward smash, downsmash, down tilt or back air.

IceIsNice

Smash Rookie
Ok, thanks to you two. Also, when you say up tilt, does that mean hold it all the way up when you attack, or just tilt it slightly? I know there is a difference. And if I zair and hit someone, will I grapple them? I've also heard something like using a zair to grapple ledges.

Also, I didn't know what they were called before, but I LOVE using bair and dair. When I got an opponent off the edge of the stadium, I would dair. But I called it "No Mercy," lol.

NOVA1106

Smash Ace
keep ur spacing good when u move in Zair shoot missles for edgguarding Dair to Bair pretty good upb outve shield forward tilt is good

FuLLBLeeD

Smash Journeyman
keep ur spacing good when u move in Zair shoot missles for edgguarding Dair to Bair pretty good upb outve shield forward tilt is good
In English, that means use Z in the air to grapple spam your opponent. When they get knocked off the stage, use missiles to prevent them from getting back. Use B-air and chargeshot out of shield to inflict massive damage. Down air to B air is a nice combo for racking up damage. Also, remember that a single chargeshot stuns, use this to your advantage. Also use homing missiles. This forces your opponent to either get hit or shield. If they do the latter, run in and grab them. Samus's projectile game is incredible, use it to your advantage, but remember not to abuse it because projectiles are easy to block. Only use Chargeshot when you know it will hit.

Samus's good killing moves are.

Chargeshot
Forward Smash
Down Tilt
Back Air

Once again, good luck!

IceIsNice

Smash Rookie
In English, that means use Z in the air to grapple spam your opponent. When they get knocked off the stage, use missiles to prevent them from getting back. Use B-air and chargeshot out of shield to inflict massive damage. Down air to B air is a nice combo for racking up damage. Also, remember that a single chargeshot stuns, use this to your advantage. Also use homing missiles. This forces your opponent to either get hit or shield. If they do the latter, run in and grab them. Samus's projectile game is incredible, use it to your advantage, but remember not to abuse it because projectiles are easy to block. Only use Chargeshot when you know it will hit.

Samus's good killing moves are.

Chargeshot
Forward Smash
Down Tilt
Back Air

Once again, good luck!
Thank you very much! All of this help should definitely help me in the tourny. Also, if anyoe can answer this one little question: is Perfect Shielding when you shield as soon as an attack lands, and you won't move back or anything? And to launch a charge shot from a perfect shield, do I just push B, or do I have to exit the shield first?

And I know this is EXTREMELY noobish, but when you have FS, B releases it, correct?

BlackWhiteOrange

Smash Cadet
Yeah, you press B or whatever button you've assigned to 'specials' (if you use a custom controller scheme.)

IceIsNice, to help you understand the bizarre-sounding terminology used so frequently at these forums:

zair = attack achieved by pressing Z in the air and not holding the analogue stick in any direction.

dair = attack achieved by pressing A in the air while holding the analogue stick down or by moving the C stick down.

fair = attack achieved by pressing A in the air while holding the analoge stick forward or by moving the C stick forward (towards where your character is facing.)

bair = attack achieved by pressing A in the air while holding the analoge stick backward or by moving the C stick backward (away from where your character is facing.)

nair = attack achieved by pressing A in the air and not holding the analogue stick in any direction.

uair = attack achieved by pressing A in the air while holding the analogue stick up.
As you can see, it's just the word "air" preceded by a letter which is the first letter of a direction. The same naming scheme is used with tilts e.g. "utilt," "dtilt," etc.

If you're new, you should go to the following:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/516492/40318

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=42749

and read them very thoroughly to learn the terminology and techniques of advanced/professional smashing.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Considering how hard it's going to be for everyone to control their characters cause of the controller setup...you really should just pick Ike.

Him and Zelda will dominate I think.

Top Bottom