• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Largest MM in Melee History?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I thought Shroomed & Neighborhood P did a $100+ one.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
This, for $200

Though I remember reading somewhere about a $1000 MM where one player got bodied, but I have no idea if that actually happened.

Edit: =(

Hax

Smash Champion
there would be a $500 one if leffen wasn't a *****

enCouRaging Bear

Smash Journeyman
I would pay good money to see that mm
payperview

damn $200 is pretty hype but nowhere near marvel status

are there any stories behind these mms? callouts ****-talking etc?

Lovage

Smash Hero
sorry to break everyones boner

but jkun vs. tgl was only like 20 bucks, after all da sidebets it was 200+ but the MM itself was pretty small we just wanted to hype something up in socal LOL.

great set btw

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
This thread reminds me how comparatively poor the smash community is.

$42,000 clockwork vs neo including sidebets.... we're a long way from that.

I recall seeing something like $1200 with side bets somewhere before, but I don't recall what. Not sure if it actually even happened or not ._.

Hax

Smash Champion
LOOOOL that's pretty funny violence

yeah nobody knows that waffles and i won an MM vs them right after

enCouRaging Bear

Smash Journeyman
well then i need more facts about the other matches as well because something tells me the
majority of the money in those matches are sidebets as well.
does anyone know if the players put up all the money for the
Dieslow v. BluntedObject and BBQ v. Billy mms?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCDxtFyvulw

I think they changed the title from 1.500 to 150.000 because too many people were asking if this was true or not haha...
so is this for 150 euros? (with or without sidebets?)

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
That BBQ MM set was pretty good, I remember watching it a while back and thinking that I mentally couldn't play to the best of my ability with that kind of money on the line

Mahie

Smash Lord
That money match was for a couple euros, yeah, there was no intention to troll, X17 uploaded it that way candidly and then some people read too much into it, of course it wasn't 1.5k or 15k or anything like that.

I reckon the highest MM to date is that Marth ditto between Jkun and TheGreatLion, 200$.

Someone should take it to the realm of 4 digits, really. Like the Top 2 of a major event should just MM the price for 2nd place right after GFs or something, that'd be crazy to watch.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Only issue with that is that it would sort of be obvious who the winner would be lol

Mind you, anything can happen in melee!
Assuming A beats B in WFs, then B beats A twice in GFs, and they're all 3-2s, it'd be hard to tell who'd win the next set... It could be hype.

Battlecow

Play to Win
All those Marvel MM's for $50,000 or whatever are all sidebets. The players themselves often have nothing or relatively little on the line. So if we were doing MM's the FGC way, we'd include all sidebets in the amount of the MM, and we'd say "$400 MM" if each side had $200 on the line instead of saying $200 like we mostly do now.

The Star King

Smash Hero
The players themselves often have nothing or relatively little on the line.
False. The $42k sidebets Neo vs Clockw0rk match, for example, had $15k on the line between the players themselves. People wouldn't be sidebetting that much if the players themselves had "nothing or relatively little on the line", because you have to be sure they have good reason to play their heart out.

Lovage

Smash Hero
yea, that was our intention of advertising it as a "200 dollar moneymatch" because when we made the hype thread we rallied together like 200 worth of sidebets LOL. so yea we basically copied marvel and it WORKED cuz that set was hype and fun as hell. it made that tournament in fact.

enCouRaging Bear

Smash Journeyman
there is even more on the line if your buddies/people who believe in you are putting their money on you imo
depends on the person i suppose and how much money you can throw around

Battlecow

Play to Win
False. The $42k sidebets Neo vs Clockw0rk match, for example, had $15k on the line between the players themselves. People wouldn't be sidebetting that much if the players themselves had "nothing or relatively little on the line", because you have to be sure they have good reason to play their heart out.
Your third sentence is blatantly incorrect, your second sentence betrays faulty understandings of the words "relatively" and "often," and your first sentence is a mite too self-assured, given the content of the two following it.

In the $50,000 Fanatiq vs. Toan MM, for instance, or the $13,000 one preceeding it, Fanatiq had precisely $0 on the line. People will back you if they know you well and know that you'll play your best.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Source? I couldn't find anything on how much was between them, except one random post saying there was a few thousand on the line.

Top Bottom