• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LAN Odyssey presents: LOBSTER 1, August 16th, Venice FL

Kamano

Smash Journeyman
What?
Call it Lobster

Lan Odyssey's Brawl Smash Tournament Epicly Rocks

Date:

Saturday, August 16th

Where:

LAN Odyssey
2123 Tamiami Trail S
Venice, FL 34293
941-492-9777

Google Maps link

Pics of venue:

from the front door to the back corner, you can see the couch/TVs there
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/462/img0863di5.jpg

from the center of the room roughly, looking at the TV's and couch
http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/7388/img0865qi4.jpg

more of the TV corner
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/2193/img0866pm6.jpg

Rules:

* Double Elimination Brackets
* 3 stock
* 7 minute timer
* All items off
* Team Attack on
* Life Stealing allowed
* Best 2 out of 3 (3 out of 5 for winners/losers/grand finals)
* Dave's Stupid Rule (no stage is played twice in any set)

Stages:

Neutral / Random:

• Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Smashville
  • Yoshi’s Island

Counter Picks:

• Battleship Halberd
  • Brinstar
  • Castle Siege
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Luigi’s Mansion
  • Norfair
  • Pirate Ship
  • Pokemon Stadium 1
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Delfino Plaza

• Banned Stages: Big Blue, Bridge of Eldin, Corneria, Distant Planet, Donkey Kong Arcade (75m), Flat Zone 2, Green Greens, Green Hill Zone, Hanenbow, Hyrule Temple, Mario Bros. Arcade, Mario Circuit, Mushroomy Kingdom, New Pork City, Onett, Pictochat, Pokemon Stadium 2, Port Town Aero Drive, Rainbow Cruise, Rumble Falls, Shadow Moses Island, Sky World, Spear Pillar, The Summit, WarioWare, Yoshi's Island (pipes)
Schedule:

11:00AM - 12:30PM :: Registration for doubles and singles
1:00PM :: Doubles begins

Singles will begin as soon as doubles are complete, estimated time is 2:30PM

Money:

$5 Door fee
$15 Singles
$20 per team doubles/ $10 per person

Payout:

70/20/10% of singles pot for 1st/2nd/3rd in singles
70/20/10% of doubles pot for 1st/2nd/3rd in doubles

What I need you to bring:
BYOC
Wiis
TVs

I'm definitely going to need Wiis brought in for this again. If you bring a Wii, bring brawl too! TVs shouldn't be as much of a problem this time seeing as we'll have component cables to fix the laggy ones, which will add in a few more for tourney matches. Feel free to bring TVs if you're able though, since it never hurts to have extras.

Other info:
Food and drink will be available (Pizza/Soda) for $1-2 each during the tourney.
There's a Bank of America across the street, and a KFC in the same plaza with LAN Odyssey.
Bring smaller bills if possible! I ran into some difficulties getting enough change last time. At least some 10s and 5s would be greatly appreciated.

Wii list:
1. LAN Odyssey
2. LAN Odyssey
3. Kamano
4. Foda
5. Polmex
(7.) GDX (probably)
(8.)

TV list:
1. LAN Odyssey
2. LAN Odyssey
3. LAN Odyssey
4. LAN Odyssey
5. LAN Odyssey
6. Polmex
(7.) Foda
(8.)

I'm going to try and round up some VCRs before the tourney so with a little luck, we may be able to record most, if not all the matches, depending on what I can dig up.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
ill come to your next tourney, but if you want max attendance, holding it aug. 9th is a bad idea. Theres a tourney @ FIU on that date that will probably get any SFL over yours. Theres also some tourney in st. pete on aug 2nd by dirty rice. I suggest aug. 23rd or aug 30th

But whenever you change the date, me and HRNUT will be there

Kamano

Smash Journeyman
Doh, I saw the Aug 2nd one, I didn't realize there was one on the 9th already too.

What's wrong with the 16th?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Doh, I saw the Aug 2nd one, I didn't realize there was one on the 9th already too.

What's wrong with the 16th?
well, that date is AFO in orlando and i greedily want to be as close to orlando that weekend as possible

i do still enjoy anime conventions :chuckle:

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
well, ill go if HRNUT goes.

every now and then on saturdays he has some gay workshop which basically means he cant go to a tourney that day. If he doesnt have the workshop, I'll come with him and 2-3 random others. If he does have the workshop, then ill be attending AFO instead most likely

im not sure which one i want actually :confused:

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Call it LO and Behold!

jk

Call it Lobster

Lan Oddesey's Brawl Smash Tournament Epicly Rocks

also jk

but

I can't go to this cause I'll be in NYC :(

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Call it LO and Behold!

jk

Call it Lobster

Lan Oddesey's Brawl Smash Tournament Epicly Rocks

also jk

but

I can't go to this cause I'll be in NYC :(
lol, i actually approve that lobster name

whats in NYC? and how long will you be there? dont want you missing august gigs :(

Kamano

Smash Journeyman
HRNUT, I think you broke my shield in our first round match at LAN Odyssey too. Dunno if the list in your sig is a complete list or just the important people, but if it's not the latter, add me on. XD

Foda

Smash Apprentice
I'm coming to lan odyssey tourneys no matter what the date! :)

to anyone who doesn't know: the lan odyssey venue ****ing ROCKS

also sign me up to bring a wii again, and I can bring a 19'' TV if needed, but i think TVs are pretty well set over there

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
I'm coming to lan odyssey tourneys no matter what the date! :)

to anyone who doesn't know: the lan odyssey venue ****ing ROCKS

also sign me up to bring a wii again, and I can bring a 19'' TV if needed, but i think TVs are pretty well set over there
their venue is way better than gigs u can actually breath:laugh:

Foda

Smash Apprentice
almost everyone gets a couch or chair, pool table isn't too crowded, owner is cool as hell and will let you do just about anything within reason, and then there's that sweeeet conference room in the back with a projector for the bracket... we should get some friendlies going in that room next time around

Foda

Smash Apprentice
you fail to realize just how awesome this projector room is :)

you're right though, a lot of them lag but a lot of them also don't!

Kamano

Smash Journeyman
Or we can just play the finals on the amazing tv in the back corner that everyone seemed to love. :D

I want that TV. ;_;

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
change the couch though i couldn't play losers finals that well cuz that couch was a three seater not four...and if it was the angle i would've seen the tv at would be poor so we need a better sofa

Kamano

Smash Journeyman
change the couch though i couldn't play losers finals that well cuz that couch was a three seater not four...and if it was the angle i would've seen the tv at would be poor so we need a better sofa

yeaah, that was one of those things I didn't realize until we were partway into the tourney after moving it all around. I assumed at first that the drink holder thing folded up for an extra seat. :(

lanodyssey

Smash Rookie
Hey Guys,

What's it look like for August 16th, will we be able to have a good turn-out?

If we need to make some adjustments to tv and console configuration , it's easy and a done deal.

I'll try to post some pictures. I don't think the people that didn't show realize how
spread-out it is, not to mention that there is 5 different places to eat, a 12 stage movie theater within a hundred yards of LO and 2 bars for those old enough to drink.

Is there a way to spread the word to different forums? maybe some of the other members from different states would like to participate in a summer finale before going back to school.

Kamano

Smash Journeyman
Hey Guys,

What's it look like for August 16th, will we be able to have a good turn-out?

If we need to make some adjustments to tv and console configuration , it's easy and a done deal.

I'll try to post some pictures. I don't think the people that didn't show realize how
spread-out it is, not to mention that there is 5 different places to eat, a 12 stage movie theater within a hundred yards of LO and 2 bars for those old enough to drink.

Is there a way to spread the word to different forums? maybe some of the other members from different states would like to participate in a summer finale before going back to school.
I'll add the info up on SLAGG and a few other forums. I mostly posted this here to kinda reserve the date before I asked ya. I was looking at august 2nd, but before I got the info up, someone else had a tourney up for that day. :(

A couple better pictures taken during the daytime might be helpful too, if you don't mind doing that. :D

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
splitting the video is as easy as using a VCR.

I've got a small TV on my desk next to my computer which I use when ripping videos from tourneys, and just to play Brawl while at the computer. I have the Wii hook up to the VCR, then the VCR has a RF cable going to the TV and a component cable going to my computer.

Using the same method, you can have it where people actually playing are using the TV while peopple watching can view the projector. as an added bonus, the fact that you're using a VCR allows you to record the matches for youtube.

If I had a projector I would have totally done it at my tourney.

Kamano

Smash Journeyman
Aye, I want to get a VCR for each TV if possible, so I can do what you did at your first tourney, and record every match, just for the hell of it.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
I think that Luigi’s Mansion promotes camping for most characters. I've been killed by Pirate Ship before and although it is even more true after certain transitions, it does encourage camping as well. When the lava forces the player to get to that little in order not to get killed it does disturb the match. Plus I don't want to know what kind of activities happen in that little room...

Also, welcome to the world of blue names!

Kamano

Smash Journeyman
I think that Luigi’s Mansion promotes camping for most characters. I've been killed by Pirate Ship before and although it is even more true after certain transitions, it does encourage camping as well. When the lava forces the player to get to that little in order not to get killed it does disturb the match. Plus I don't want to know what kind of activities happen in that little room...

Also, welcome to the world of blue names!
Luigi's mansion is one I've been hesitant on too, so that's likely to go. Pirate ship might go... Norfair I think is honestly fine, simply because all the "fast" lava effects are shieldable. The giant wave included. I don't even bother trying to get in the safe room when that happens since it's so easy to shield through and continue fighting. The little lava bursts are also shieldable and I think dodgeable.

So 2 out of the 3 are definitely possible to be changed. Norfair is still kinda up in the air. I like it, and the hazards aren't that bad overall. I'd like some thoughts on those stages from other people as well so I can make sure I'm not missing any important reasons to go one way or another. :D

Manko- click your "User CP" button at the top of the boards, and there should be a "Group Memberships" link on the left side of that page. Just click to apply to the Tourney Director's group, and put a link to your tournament topic with results in the "why I want to join" text box.

And it could possibly take a while to get that name fix... The only 2 people who moderate the group are Gideon and McFox iirc, and neither of them have been very active lately.

Top Bottom