• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

L or R? Did it ever matter?

Ting Sing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CADANAMAN
This may seem rather silly to ask, but since the term 'L-Cancel' is what it is, does that mean that the L trigger does anything different than the R trigger? Or did they just flip a coin on which button to name it after? I've just wondered for a while. I never use the L Trigger, just because I'm more comfortable using R. Am I missing out on something?

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
I have a hunch that L Cancelling is related to Z Cancelling. When you Z Cancel, you use your left pointer finger. If you use the same finger, it translates to L Cancel on the GCN controller. When I first picked up Melee, L became my shield button for the same reason, so maybe that's it.

Frogman751

Smash Cadet
Idk i just thought i would say that i took the spring out of my right trigger and it kicks ass. You hold down r when you plug it in though so you dont have a problem where you are always lightshielding. I wavedash, waveland, shielddash, sometimes powershield with r because it is such a responsive button. Then i shield with L (you wanna shield with that trigger if you dont have a spring in the other one because light shielding is kinda important) i L cancel with L (and i try to L cancel with only pressing the lightshield so that way you don't off set your tech window timing) and ill also power shield with L. Pssh if you guys have any questions let me know ill be happy to answer them.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
The original players that did the technique in 64 did it with the Z button using their left finger, so in Melee, they naturally used the L button. However, it doesn't matter what shield button you press when you do the cancel, so eventually, the name was changed to mean "lag-cancel".

Honestly, it should be changed again to mean "land-cancel". I think the term would be most descriptive.

Top Bottom