• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

L-Cancelling Button

Xentaku

Smash Rookie
Hello, I just started playing Smash Bros seriously (I've probably logged only 20 hours in Smash Bros before two weeks ago), and want to mainly focus on Project M. My question is, since you can rebind buttons, would it be a good idea to bind [x] to Grab/L-Cancel? (I use [y] for jump) Will this be make things easier or is it not worth it since if I ever play Melee I won't be able to rebind buttons?

Also, what buttons do you all use for L-Cancelling, and if you have a specific reason, why?

Edit: Grammar

Last edited:

Rikana

Smash Champion
I would leave it on the shoulder buttons if you ever wanna use the "claw" grip. The inputs are completely up to you though.

I use L to lcancel.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I personally prefer using the Z button to L-cancel. In the same way that many like to use Z for quick aerials right as the jump/SH, I find it easiest to accurately L-cancel with Z because it automatically counts as a soft-press, and my pointer finger is (just like it is for most people) my trigger finger.

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
I use L, but you should also keep in mind that if you are putting grab/shield on the X button, I believe that it will register all the times you press X as a full press rather than a light press. If you're unfamiliar with the difference between what a full press and light press are, a light press is when you only partially push one of the triggers in and a full press is when you push the trigger all the way in and it makes the clicking noise. The reason this matters is because L-cancelling only requires a light press. However, if you use a full press, it can mess up the timings of your techs if you get hit out of the air when you're going for an L-cancelled aerial.

Along with that, I feel that having to use the X button to L-cancel would be harder in the long run to use for L-cancelling. As you play more, you'll start using aerials very low to the ground, usually using the c-stick to perform them. If you're using X to L-cancel, you'll have to move you're thumb all the from the c-stick to X VERY quickly. Ultimately, you should just go with what works best for you. Those are just my 2 cents.

Xentaku

Smash Rookie
Thanks for everyone's replies, I'll probably try to learn on Z since it seems to be the most efficient. I'll try L/R to see how that feels as well though.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Was that done intentionally, or was it just something that was hard to implement? Is there any chance of Z being registered as light-pressed L-cancels in future updates?

Rikana

Smash Champion
Z counts as a full press because it's digital. The only analog buttons on the controller are: control stick, cstick, and shoulder buttons.

So to answer your question, no. There is no way we can do that.

Last edited:

Rikana

Smash Champion
Why do you have a very faint sheik image in your posts toast?

Last edited:
Top Bottom