• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

L-Canceling Question

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
I have been L-Cancelling for about a week now and I am still not use to it. Do I have to L-Cancel after every single aerial?

Last edited:
Not if an aerial reaches a certain point before the animation ends, then you'll land with almost no lag (auto canceling)

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Learn which aerials can auto-cancel, if your character has any, as that is obviously faster than L-canceling. Also, yes, L-canceling is absolutely imperative. Just know that L-canceling is not like teching, you can hit R/L/Z as many times as you want and still get the cancel. Just don't keep hitting buttons after you get the cancel. I often double-tap R when I dair ice climbers as Ganon since I don't know if they'll shield it, or I'll only hit one of them, or whatever.

Last edited:

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
Learn which aerials can auto-cancel, if your character has any, as that is obviously faster than L-canceling. Also, yes, L-canceling is absolutely imperative. Just know that L-canceling is not like teching, you can hit R/L/Z as many times as you want and still get the cancel. Just don't keep hitting buttons after you get the cancel. I often double-tap R when I dair ice climbers as Ganon since I don't know if they'll shield it, or I'll only hit one of them, or whatever.
That's really helpful!

ZipZopZoop

Smash Rookie
Does soft press and then hard press of a trigger count as separate inputs for Lcancels?

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Over time, you will learn when you would rather autocancel or SHFFL (short hop fast fall l-cancel) you moves in different situations. It's different for every character. I don't play Marth so I can't give you any specific examples, but just keep that in mind. Just stay patient and focus on the game.

And yes, you should absolutely master L-canceling. At a high level, a missed L-cancel can mean taking a lot of percent, or even losing a stock. When we're at the point of counting frames, you want to save as many as possible. The longer you stay stuck in lag, the more time the opponent has to punish you.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Does soft press and then hard press of a trigger count as separate inputs for Lcancels?
Soft press is the best as it doesn't disrupt the 20/40 frame teching window (hit R 20 frames before you tech, 40 frames must go by before next tech), which requires a hard press.

Last edited:

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure you know, Ace, but just to clarify for him: you can't input another l-cancel buffer during the 7 frames that the original buffer is active, so just spamming Z or the trigger won't necessarily guarantee the cancel. What he meant is that there's no lockout window after l-canceling like there is with teching, but you still have to wait until 7 frames have past since your first input before you'll be able to input another l-cancel buffer.

VoidedSmash

Smash Rookie
Download 20XX training edition and enable the L cancelling settings (I have auto cancel disabled but you can) and then you can know if you've screwed up or not.

Nickel

Smash Rookie
L cancelling becomes habit after a while. For now, just focus on doing it, soon enough you will just do it on habit.

Top Bottom