• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Krystal Trophy

Blaze the cat

Smash Apprentice
I haven’t visited this site much ever since “The Official Krystal Club” thread was locked. I tried General Discussion for a while, but just by browsing this thread I’m reminded of why I haven’t come back. I’m already reading pejoratives, vulgarities, and insults of all sorts. And all this over an innocent post about Krystal’s trophy.

As one of the most vocal proponents of Krystal on “The Official Krystal Club” thread, I would have loved to see her as a playable character. Before all of the information about the game was revealed, the thought of her role in the game as a mere assist trophy would have disappointed me, but she didn’t even get that chance.

At least Krystal’s existence is acknowledged, and her trophy does look quite nice. It’s just a shame we didn’t get to see more of her in this game.

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
I have friends who are also Krystal fans. I like them because they keep the discussion in an objective POV without resorting to obsessions, insults, subjectivity, and whatnot. Sadly they don't seem to be big in number. D:

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I had wanted Krystal in for having a staff moveset.

I really wanted Falco gone, Wolf in his place with a mix of alterations.

Krystal being in with a unique moveset using the staff and her Final Smash could be the pteradactyl or whatever it was she was riding in the beginning of Adventures, but it would function the same as a Landmaster. Not even saying that as a joke.

I feel that that would've represented the series far better than Fox, Falco and Wolf.

Falco represents nothing more than Fox does. He just represents a friendly rivalry, but Wolf represents rivalry better.

Krystal would've represented the later series, whether we like it or not.

Sort of like how Toon Link was in to represent a different style of Zelda games.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'd stop you there and cite Star Fox 64 (Which is the best Star Fox game to date, still, IMO) as credentials for Wolf's accomplishments...then I realized that Star Wolf really only appeared in two stages and all you did was dogfight...which was badass, but didn't really establish a sense of rivalry/villainy going on. I never beat Star Fox Assault, got bored around level 4-5, so I dunno what Wolf has done there.
But really, Wolf really didn't become a "round" character until Command and as the person with all the Wolf things in his sig said, his significance in the game basically depends on which path you take. Of the game's 9 endings, only one of them really revolves around Wolf and his crew and even then the main focus is still about Krystal becoming "rouge." Wolf's sigificance is comparable to someone like General Pepper, a character that has his moments but never really has a constant thing going.

Personally, I think Wolf was a last minute character because 1. for pretty much no reason, he's the last unlockable character 2. he's still a semi-clone/luigified version of Fox (firedragon pointed out the similarities earlier with not only moves but basic skeleton and physics) and not to mention he's the only new "clone" that's unlockable and 3. he plays no role in the SSE. There was a rumor that came out shortly after Brawl was released that Dr. Mario and Falco had replaced Wario and Wolf as "clones" because Sakurai knew that making those characters clones of their counterparts would have been an insult to the fans. Granted, Sakurai and his staff have very little to work with regarding Wolf but, in the end, the result still meets the low expectations that most people set for him and what many of his fans feared him having; a moveset based on Fox's. It could be said that Sakurai went back on his word but, then again, I don't exactly blame him given what was previously said.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
I had wanted Krystal in for having a staff moveset.

I really wanted Falco gone, Wolf in his place with a mix of alterations.

Krystal being in with a unique moveset using the staff and her Final Smash could be the pteradactyl or whatever it was she was riding in the beginning of Adventures, but it would function the same as a Landmaster. Not even saying that as a joke.

I feel that that would've represented the series far better than Fox, Falco and Wolf.

Falco represents nothing more than Fox does. He just represents a friendly rivalry, but Wolf represents rivalry better.

Krystal would've represented the later series, whether we like it or not.

Sort of like how Toon Link was in to represent a different style of Zelda games.
I agree with every you mention, except the FS I've heard better. But Falco is more that a friendly rival, but is or was second in command at Team Star Fox. Ever since Krystal appeared though, he has lost his significance in the games. Really though, gameplay wise, he was no more significant in the earlier games as were Slippy and Peppy.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Wow, he's awesome.
On topic:
I'm okay with both Krystal and Wolf, but I don't know why Sakurai did put Toon Link and Snake over Krystal and Ridley.
It's not like the addition of certain characters of one franchise really influenced the addition of characters from another franchise. Also, Hideo Kojima asked for Snake to be in Brawl, so he is.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
It's not like the addition of certain characters of one franchise really influenced the addition of characters from another franchise. Also, Hideo Kojima asked for Snake to be in Brawl, so he is.
Yeah, that's true. But I only said that 'cause I don't like Toon Link and Snake.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wow, he's awesome.
On topic:
I'm okay with both Krystal and Wolf, but I don't know why Sakurai did put Toon Link and Snake over Krystal and Ridley.
Snake's story is common knowledge and I still think Kojima took advantage of Sakurai in order to promote MGS4.

Toon Link was a lazy way out of making a completely unique character. Sakurai: Let's change his graphic style lol! Now he's 100% different! *sigh* I'm fine with his addition but the least they could have done is give him some unique moves based on the Wind Waker/Minish Cap/Phantom Hourglass.

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
if there's even a panther trophy, i hope there's a leon one as well.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
Of course Brawl is better without Krystal. If Krystal was in instead of Wolf, my sig would su*k.

Who would rather have an original character instead of another (semi)clone?

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Everyone against Krystal being in, give one good reason why she shouldn't be, forget about her games and the other Star Fox characters already in the game, tell me why you don't want he in the game, what is limiting her as a fighter?

Any new addition to brawl would have been great, plus Smash is desperately needing new Female fighters, there was not one single new female character, closest thing was a character already in without her battle suit.

T-major

Smash Champion
Everyone against Krystal being in, give one good reason why she shouldn't be, forget about her games and the other Star Fox characters already in the game, tell me why you don't want he in the game, what is limiting her as a fighter?.
because she's a completely pointless character, without any importance to the franchise. the only game she actually did anything in was Adventures, and the only purpose she served was getting kidnapped and becoming no more than a magic rock... hell, at the end of the game Falco shows up and saves your life... Falco, who isn't even in the game until the last 5 minutes of it, does more than Krystal does in the whole game...

Igneous42

Smash Ace
because she's a completely pointless character, without any importance to the franchise. the only game she actually did anything in was Adventures, and the only purpose she served was getting kidnapped and becoming no more than a magic rock... hell, at the end of the game Falco shows up and saves your life... Falco, who isn't even in the game until the last 5 minutes of it, does more than Krystal does in the whole game...
She's as important as Falco is in Assault and Command pretty much centers around what she's doing and her decisions.

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
imo she is not the focus of command. that game had 9 endings, all focusing on various character's possible outcomes in the game. they're not all about krystal. a few are about falco, a few are about fox's situation, a few are about that monkey guy, there's one about slippy, peppy, starwolf, etc etc. i feel command was a game that really focused on all characters as a whole.

Assault isn't a true Star Fox game in the same way that Metroid Prime Pinball isn't a Metroid game and the Cd-i Legend of Zelda games aren't Legend of Zelda games.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Assault isn't a true Star Fox game in the same way that Metroid Prime Pinball isn't a Metroid game and the Cd-i Legend of Zelda games aren't Legend of Zelda games.
Agreed. Assault was the first game that I ever returned the first day I got it simply because I hated it so much. The story, terrible. The dialouge, even worse. The arwing missions, hardly comparable to SF64. The ground missions, what ultimately killed the game for me.

There have only been three true Star Fox games.

Star Fox for the SNES, Star Fox 64, and to a lesser extent Star Fox Command, which was fun despite having a somewhat stupid plot and terrible character designs.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
Now that it's already back from the dead, I'd like to question what people's beef is with Falco. Frankly, I'd be really pissed off if he wasn't in it. I know they made him still a clone (albeit Luigified), but come on, we all know 64 was the only SF game that matters, and everyone who's played 64 knows Falco.

Although, for all the people who know Peppy's lines, I'm surprised they haven't made HIM a playable character. I would main Peppy.

Anyway, Falco's still my favorite Star Fox character, and I believe he's probably embedded too deeply into Smash Bros. as well to be taken out. I mean, a Star Fox game without Falco isn't a Star Fox game. The last time they tried that was Adventures, and we all saw how that turned out.

Top Bottom