• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Actually, I have been playing with my boy Fox in Smash 4 and he's still a really good character to play as. I'm glad what they díd with him in this game. It's Falco unfortunately who got the short end of the stick and probably some of the worst nerfs in this game. As for Sakurai, yeah I agree with you on him in it, he's quite the professional as a troll. But he most of the time does in such immature way you can't possibly imagine. But with the "Year of Starfox" over the horizon, things will look up to us Starfox fans and hopefully we get Wolf and Krystal as DLC for Smash 4.
Yeah I probably just haven't gone up against a good Fox player, so I'm stuck using the level 9 cpu Fox (which sucks) as my opponent. Falco does suck, which means his competitive charm is gone. Wolf's got a little message for you Sakurai,

"This will be you Sakurai, if I'm not DLC for this iteration of Smasdh Bros," Wolf.
Watch the Year of Star Fox be Miyamoto's way of declaring the franchise purged of Krystal. :troll:
But he'll introduce a new character, Sapphire, whom looks, acts, talks, and even has the same backstory and chemistry as Krystal.:troll:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
To be honest, I kind of laugh at each of Sakurai's statements. They were never believable from the start anyways.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Let's not jump to conclusions, okay? It's a pretty bold statement to assume Sakurai pulled rank and forced his own ideas on the entire project, or that they ignored things they didn't care for. Game development is a very complicated process. I've been part of a couple fan projects, and it's reeeally hard to get everyone on the same page. Assuming characters that didn't make it missed the cut because of spite or personal bias really undersells what an intricate and often confusing process it is.

And again, it honestly looks like they wanted to focus on characters who've been in the spotlight recently. It might get on the nerves of fans of older characters, but at the very least it's understandable when the newcomers they did go with ended up so well-crafted (and the clones were, again, bonuses).

More importantly, DLC still seems more likely than not with Sakurai's "we're focusing on the main game for now" statement, meaning the characters in question still have a chance...and isn't a chance is more than enough reason to keep talking?

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
I am not really paying attention to this no DLC after Mewtwo news anyway. More DLC is eventually going to happen after the game has been released, and I won't lose hope that easily!

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
So, I was playing Smash Wii U for about 30 minutes and experienced a major crash while trying to load the map selection screen. Other than that, there's a lot of loading lag in-between matches. It also lags when I select alternate costumes.

So much for Sakurai wanting to release a "full game experience", eh?

Lets see how many crashes I can get before unlocking the full roster?

EDIT: The Lylat Cruise codecs are essentially the exact same. The models used by characters are their trophy models, I'm assuming. Krystal's there too. No big deal. Wolf looks a little... different though.

EDIT #2: Game crashed again. lol

EDIT #3: Got all the characters. Game crashed twice so far. Let the true battle begin?

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
EDIT: The Lylat Cruise codecs are essentially the exact same. The models used by characters are their trophy models, I'm assuming. Krystal's there too. No big deal. Wolf looks a little... different though.
So Krystal and Wolf are in the codecs after all? Guess we weren't shown the whole truth then.
At least its good to see that Krystal isn't forgotten.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't see why they'd just randomly cut Krystal and Wolf from the codecs. In Brawl and 3DS the codecs were ripped straight from the original games.

Wolf is still an oddity, though, because he had his own codec. Its probably even programmed into the game.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
I am not really paying attention to this no DLC after Mewtwo news anyway. More DLC is eventually going to happen after the game has been released, and I won't lose hope that easily!
Besides, it's still early now for DLC and yes I agree that there will be more DLC on characters for Smash 4 after Mewtwo. For now, we'll just have to enjoy to what the game offers to us since the game is out today.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
So, I was playing Smash Wii U for about 30 minutes and experienced a major crash while trying to load the map selection screen. Other than that, there's a lot of loading lag in-between matches. It also lags when I select alternate costumes.

So much for Sakurai wanting to release a "full game experience", eh?

Lets see how many crashes I can get before unlocking the full roster?

EDIT #2: Game crashed again. lol

EDIT #3: Got all the characters. Game crashed twice so far. Let the true battle begin?
So is wolf assault or brawl?

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
So is wolf assault or brawl?
(Lylat Cruise codecs)

Wolf is Assault, not Brawl. Lower res than Brawl Wolf. He looks more like the concept art from Namco than in-game Assault, though (i.e. the shading around his eyes are darker). Example:

Krystal, as well as everyone appear to use their Brawl trophy models. Lower res models--unsure if they are Brawl trophy models or Wii U trophy models. I need to unlock their trophies.

EDIT:

GameXplain shows Star Fox trophies, as well as a bunch of others, in a video.

If I were to compare the trophy models to the Lylat Cruise codec models, it appears that the trophy models are higher quality, meaning that these codec models might be the same models used from Brawl.

All trophies are identical to the 3DS version. Boring. Just higher quality.

Fox and Falco use their HD fighter models. Very obvious differences.

Not sure what this means about Krystal and Wolf's chances as DLC.

(Orbital Gate codecs)

Same as GameXplain showed. Nothing else.

UPDATE: You can't use pound taunts as Fox and Falco in the Orbital Gate stage. Codecs are probably randomly activated. Haven't seen the codecs on this stage yet as Fox or Falco.

Last edited:

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
After messing with my fox amiibo and playing smash 4 (and ordering my smash cd and club nintendo account stuff) im honestly very impressed by the game and of course i hope dlc is around the corner (hey give sakurai time he did alot of hard work) so im very excited for whats to come (overall out of the 5 smash games this is the second best imo)

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Well the amiibo is doing pretty well, I personally hate the skylander but people are gobbling it up, smash 3ds and wii u are also selling well, and most are buying both I believe. the bundles are selling out, the adapters are also selling out. People are filling out "We want DLC X character on their club ninty surveys". If this doesn't get nintendo's attention that we will throw them money for free for DLC characters so sakurai can see a profit in this and get started.... then nothing will.

Here's hoping for krystal.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Hey guys, wanna hear something funny?

In order to get both the K. Rool and Krystal trophies, you must complete CHALLENGES. Yes, as far to my knowledge, these trophies aren't obtained otherwise, else you'd be able to get the Commander Video trophy otherwise too (which you can't).

Anyways, here's how to get them:

King K. Rool: Smash the Sandbag as Ganondorf over 3250 feet on solo HR contest.

Krystal: Play as Fox on Trophy Rush, and survive through 6 fevers.

That's interesting... DLC hints, or just nods to their popularity? Why save them for challenges? After all, if this is the case, you can only get one of their trophies each. All of the other trophies you get normally you can get multiples of. Not challenge-obtained trophies though, they're considered to be unique.

Last edited:

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07

In order to get both the K. Rool and Krystal trophies, you must complete CHALLENGES. Yes, as far to my knowledge, these trophies aren't obtained otherwise, else you'd be able to get the Commander Video trophy otherwise too (which you can't).

That's interesting... DLC hints, or just nods to their popularity? Why save them for challenges? After all, if this is the case, you can only get one of their trophies each. All of the other trophies you get normally you can get multiples of. Not challenge-obtained trophies though, they're considered to be unique.
Hmm..this is very interesting indeed but fun. If it's DLC hints despite of their popularity, I like where this is going. As I said before, just because these characters are trphies doesn't mean that they can't be playable. It was the same way ith the Mewtwo trophy that we saw in the 3DS version of Smash 4. Well, let's hope it really happens that these characters end up being DLC especially Krystal. BTW, I recently picked up the Fox McCloud Amiibo and boy does it look awesome and so detailed. Now the Luigi and Little Mac Amiibos are on their way and I'm getting them for sure. I've always dreamed of having a Starfox related toy and now it is finally happening. I really hope that the new Starfox Wii U game coming up will not only be Amiibo compatible, but at the same time to have new Amiibos from that game such as the Starfox team in general including Krystal.

Last edited:

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Hmm..this is very interesting indeed but fun. If it's DLC hints despite of their popularity, I like where this is going. As I said before, just because these characters are trphies doesn't mean that they can't be playable. It was the same way ith the Mewtwo trophy that we saw in the 3DS version of Smash 4. Well, let's hope it really happens that these characters end up being DLC especially Krystal. BTW, I recently picked up the Fox McCloud Amiibo and boy does it look awesome and so detailed. Now the Luigi and Little Mac Amiibos are on their way and I'm getting them for sure. I've always dreamed of having a Starfox related toy and now it is finally happening. I really hope that the new Starfox Wii U game coming up will not only be Amiibo compatible, but at the same time to have new Amiibos from that game such as the Starfox team in general including Krystal.
Same here I'm gonna get a marth, sonic and lucario amiibo eventually.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

I think I can take those challenges just fine, at least they don't involve the hell that is some of the other challenges.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Just an interesting little detail I noticed on Lylat Cruise's Final Destination mode. In the background you can see The Great Fox, 2 Wolfens, and 1 Arwing. Panther and Leon are presumably in the Wolfens and Slippy is presumably in the Arwing, and Peppy's in the Great Fox, and Fox and Falco are fighting, so where are Wolf and Krystal?

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

I think it'd be a reach to assume it has anything to do with DLC, but it does seem to mean the developers still consider them important despite them not having any roles lately. That could mean they'd get the nod if they became DLC candidates, but I don't think this alone is compelling evidence.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Got some more information.

The K. Rool and Krystal trophies, so far from what I have, are the ONLY trophies from their franchises that CANNOT be placed in one of the display cases. All of the other trophies from their franchises can be displayed in the cases, however. For instance, Krystal does NOT appear in the Star Fox: Assault display case. No idea why. Could be that her trophy description doesn't limit her appearance subcategory to "assault" alone, like the Assault Fox and Falco trophies. Instead, it includes that she has appeared in Adventures (but there's obviously no Adventures display case). However, her trophy is essentially the exact same as it was on the 3DS version, where it looked like her appearance in Assault. Very strange...

I have no idea if more display cases can be unlocked. I have 81 display cases. The maximum number of trophies that can appear in a display case is 8. Not all display cases have 8 trophy spots. Some have 7. There are two rows of trophies. If a display case has 8 trophies, there are 4 on the front row and 4 on the back. If a display case has 7 trophies, there are 3 on the front row and 4 on the back.

It can be noted that there are some other trophies that cannot appear in any of my current display cases--most of them were unlocked through the challenges, like K. Rool and Krystal.

Dang it Sakurai! I wanted to enjoy these trophies the way you said we could, by viewing them in the display cases like a collector! I can't do that though, and I have no idea why they can't be shown in the display cases...

As for Star Fox-centric display cases, there are three, according to what I have so far:

"Star Wolf", "Star Fox: Assault", and "Star Fox".

Fox and Falco's fighter trophies appear in the "Star Fox" display case. The "Star Fox" display case has spots for 7 total trophies, not the maximum 8 that most have.

Here's another thing that's strange about the "Star Fox" display case:

It doesn't follow the 7-trophy normal allotment per row.

Instead, the "Star Fox" display case has 4 trophy spots on the front row and 3 on the back. No other 7-trophy display case, of the 81 display cases I have, do this (they all follow the normal pattern I pointed out above). To be honest, it looks awkward compared to the rest...

Just an interesting little detail I noticed on Lylat Cruise's Final Destination mode. In the background you can see The Great Fox, 2 Wolfens, and 1 Arwing. Panther and Leon are presumably in the Wolfens and Slippy is presumably in the Arwing, and Peppy's in the Great Fox, and Fox and Falco are fighting, so where are Wolf and Krystal?
I just confirmed that the Lylat Cruise stage does indeed change background depending if it is Omega or not:

With Omega: 1 Arwing, 2 Wolfens.

WITHOUT Omega: (at least) 2 Arwings, 3 Wolfen.

On the other hand, the Orbital Gate stage has the same number of Arwings with or without Omega form (3).

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Got some more information.

The K. Rool and Krystal trophies, so far from what I have, are the ONLY trophies from their franchises that CANNOT be placed in one of the display cases. All of the other trophies from their franchises can be displayed in the cases, however. For instance, Krystal does NOT appear in the Star Fox: Assault display case. No idea why. Could be that her trophy description doesn't limit her appearance subcategory to "assault" alone, like the Assault Fox and Falco trophies. Instead, it includes that she has appeared in Adventures (but there's obviously no Adventures display case). However, her trophy is essentially the exact same as it was on the 3DS version, where it looked like her appearance in Assault. Very strange...

I have no idea if more display cases can be unlocked. I have 81 display cases. The maximum number of trophies that can appear in a display case is 8. Not all display cases have 8 trophy spots. Some have 7. There are two rows of trophies. If a display case has 8 trophies, there are 4 on the front row and 4 on the back. If a display case has 7 trophies, there are 3 on the front row and 4 on the back.

It can be noted that there are some other trophies that cannot appear in any of my current display cases--most of them were unlocked through the challenges, like K. Rool and Krystal.

Dang it Sakurai! I wanted to enjoy these trophies the way you said we could, by viewing them in the display cases like a collector! I can't do that though, and I have no idea why they can't be shown in the display cases...

As for Star Fox-centric display cases, there are three, according to what I have so far:

Fox and Falco's fighter trophies appear in the "Star Fox" display case. The "Star Fox" display case has spots for 7 total trophies, not the maximum 8 that most have.

Instead, the "Star Fox" display case has 4 trophy spots on the front row and 3 on the back. No other 7-trophy display case, of the 81 display cases I have, do this (they all follow the normal pattern I pointed out above). To be honest, it looks awkward compared to the rest...

I just confirmed that the Lylat Cruise stage does indeed change background depending if it is Omega or not:

With Omega: 1 Arwing, 2 Wolfens.

WITHOUT Omega: (at least) 2 Arwings, 3 Wolfen.

On the other hand, the Orbital Gate stage has the same number of Arwings with or without Omega form (3).
Interesting, so there is a Star Wolf display case,(don't have Wolf), I don't think the placement in a trophy case hinders chances of DLC, Ganondorf is in the Twilight Princess case, while Toon Link is in Wind Waker. I haven't gotten Krystal yet, so I can't help there, but if you have Wolf, could you tell me if his trophy has any noticeable differences compared to the 3DS version besides the HD visual. So far I've noticed his belt buckle is white instead of purple, or at least thats how it looked in Gamexplain's video.
Orbital Gate is meant to reenact the Star Fox Orbital Gate defense, in fact you can only trigger the codecs when Fox and Falco aren't in play. Lylat Cruise came from brawl, so the brawl portion has Fox on the field with Krystal (and Falco) and Wolf fighting, when Wolf is in play, he sets his Wolfen to autopilot or something (same thing with Fox in play on Orbital gate.)but the omega form is new, so just Slippy, Panther, and Leon are flying around out there with Peppy in the Great Fox. Where are Wolf and Krystal? (play some music)
Oh yeah two Star Fox pic of the days in a row...

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

Interesting. Would you mind uploading a screenshot so I can see the Star Fox display cases and their trophies?

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Even though I want her to be in as DLC, I really doubt Krystal will be DLC, Japan will probably get everything again, and we Americans will be left with the sloppy seconds, that"s what Nintendo always does, How come Retro Studios is being limited as to what games they can make, how come Nintendo doesn't try to get popular Western IPs on WII U, How come most of the Newcomers in Smash are more popular in Japan than in America (Except Mega Man and Dark Pit), How come Fire Emblem has four reps, even though it is only big in Japan and niche in the West. Nintendo doesn't care what Americans or Canadians want, only the Japanese. Even though normal logic would tell you to switch to the bigger market. Whatever normal sane companies do, Nintendo does the opposite, and they wonder why the Wii U hasn't really caught on

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Even though I want her to be in as DLC, I really doubt Krystal will be DLC, Japan will probably get everything again, and we Americans will be left with the sloppy seconds, that"s what Nintendo always does, How come Retro Studios is being limited as to what games they can make, how come Nintendo doesn't try to get popular Western IPs on WII U, How come most of the Newcomers in Smash are more popular in Japan than in America (Except Mega Man and Dark Pit), How come Fire Emblem has four reps, even though it is only big in Japan and niche in the West. Nintendo doesn't care what Americans or Canadians want, only the Japanese. Even though normal logic would tell you to switch to the bigger market. Whatever normal sane companies do, Nintendo does the opposite, and they wonder why the Wii U hasn't really caught on
...You realize Little Mac was one of the most requested newcomers from the Western fanbase, right?

Or that Fire Emblem was only going to have three characters before they made the bonus clones, and that Awakening sold like crazy worldwide?

Or that Mewtwo was one of the single most requested characters by everyone, and now he's going to be DLC?

I realize I've been quoting Dunban a lot lately...but let's not lose our heads yet.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
...You realize Little Mac was one of the most requested newcomers from the Western fanbase, right?

Or that Fire Emblem was only going to have three characters before they made the bonus clones, and that Awakening sold like crazy worldwide?

Or that Mewtwo was one of the single most requested characters by everyone, and now he's going to be DLC?

I realize I've been quoting Dunban a lot lately...but let's not lose our heads yet.
Only one newcomer that was really popular in the West, big deal, Zelda, DK,and Metroid are still underrepresented, those three franchises have been traditionally more popular in the West, Fire Emblem would be overepped even with three, Fire Emblem is tradtionally niche outside of Japan, no matter how well Awakening sold globally, Kid Icarus is overepped as well, and that franchise is even more niche and obscure than Fire Emblem, honestly, I could have lived with Star Fox having three reps, and us losing Wolf, if we got Krystal, who would have added uniqueness to the roster, Sakurai said that we wouldn't get more DLC other than Mewtwo, but after all the massive trolling Sakurai has pulled, I take everything he says with a grain of salt

Last edited:

Prince17

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
Phaz#755
NNID
Legendlar
3DS FC
3840-7049-1098
So... I'm going to bring up something that I think will bring interesting discussion. Krystal is now my #1 pick for DLC, but on one condition; she uses her staff. I wouldn't even want her without it, she would go completely unused like Bowser Jr. did for me (Extreme bitterness about him not using his paintbrush, he was my #1 pick before Krystal). Before Jr. I thought it would be a given that she would use her staff, but after thinking about it, her staff has only appeared in 1 game and she appeared in more games without it. Maybe Sakurai is waiting for her to use it again to bring its relevance back. What else could she battle with? He did admit to doing the same for Luigi's Poltergust. Yes, I'd still be upset if she only used it for her final smash.

So would anyone still want Krystal if she wasn't going to use her staff? After Bowser Jr. being a let down with the Clown Car I don't think I could handle my 2 most wanted characters being ruined in my eyes. Jr. is dead to me, he has already been established as using his Clown Car in Smash and there isn't any changing of that. I fear Krystal will follow the same road.

D

Deleted member

@ Big-Cat Big-Cat : It was actually on the 14th; the news just reported Alex's death on the 15th of November.

I just notified the moderators about Shorts's death, so we'll see what exactly will happen to the thread next.

In the meanwhile, we should take this time to pay our respects to Shorts.

To be honest, his death hit me pretty hard. I've known Shorts for nearly three and a half years and so did KumaOso and a few other people on this forum. Shorts was among the people who have been discussing prospects for Brawl and SSB4 for a long time and I first met him when the SSB Wii U thread opened (before the subforums came into existence). We had many disagreements on characters for SSB 3DS & Wii U but even with that I almost immediately came to respect him.

Shorts was no doubt a witty person. He had his own way of saying things and didn't conform to expectations of what was considered "popular" just because others said so. He stood up for what he believed in and said what he felt regardless of what others thoughts of him. He also was a hilarious person; sometimes his posts made me laugh and I looked forward to reading them even when I didn't always agree with him.

Definitely was among my favorite people to talk to during the pre-SSB4 period. I will miss him and so will his family and friends. Sympathy goes to all loved ones who lost him on the 14th of November.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
@ Big-Cat Big-Cat : It was actually on the 14th; the news just reported Alex's death on the 15th of November.

I just notified the moderators about Shorts's death, so we'll see what exactly will happen to the thread next.

In the meanwhile, we should take this time to pay our respects to Shorts.

To be honest, his death hit me pretty hard. I've known Shorts for nearly three and a half years and so did KumaOso and a few other people on this forum. Shorts was among the people who have been discussing prospects for Brawl and SSB4 for a long time and I first met him when the SSB Wii U thread opened (before the subforums came into existence). We had many disagreements on characters for SSB 3DS & Wii U but even with that I almost immediately came to respect him.

Shorts was no doubt a witty person. He had his own way of saying things and didn't conform to expectations of what was considered "popular" just because others said so. He stood up for what he believed in and said what he felt regardless of what others thoughts of him. He also was a hilarious person; sometimes his posts made me laugh and I looked forward to reading them even when I didn't always agree with him.

Definitely was among my favorite people to talk to during the pre-SSB4 period. I will miss him and so will his family and friends. Sympathy goes to all loved ones who lost him on the 14th of November.
May you find everlasting peace, Alex. :crying: You connected with a number of avid video game fans across the internet. Thank you for your contributions to the Super Smash Bros community.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's really sad news. Is the thread ownership gonna go up for grabs or something?

Edit: Wait a minute, why does Short's' profile say he was last seen yesterday?
It could be that he was logged on a desktop/laptop right before he died and his family discovered his Smashboards account. I don't recall Shorts having a password required to access his computer when it's closed.

Top Bottom