• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KoJ's Falco

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
I plan to Main all the space animals and ROB. Right now Falco is my best (I believe so at least).

I will fill this thread with videos when I can. I am looking for feedback. I recently took 7th out of a 35+ event tournament with a mix of ROB and Falco and am definitely looking to improve beyond that. I will denote tournament videos by using an *. PLEASE LEAVE YOUR COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS!

4/21/08
Kirk (DK) v KoJ (Falco)
Kirk (Ike) v KoJ (Falco)
Kirk (Ike) v KoJ (Falco)
Kirk (Ike) v KoJ (Falco)
Note: Kirk is very good. He has won a local tournament, Top 3'ed all of them, and won all the teams tournaments with his partner Silverspawn. He generally mains Ike and Snake, but has used DK at the tournament this past weekend.

4/30/08
*Teams: KoJ (Falco)+ N.OW (Ness) v SaPh (TLink) + UMOM (Marth) 1
*Teams: KoJ (Falco)+ N.OW (Ness) v SaPh (TLink) + UMOM (Marth) 2
*Teams: KoJ (Falco) + N.OW (Ness) v Shiri (Sheik) + PikaPika! (Pikachu) 1
This was my first time teaming with N.OW.

Sssurivad

Smash Apprentice
It says friendlies in the video descriptions so I'm assuming that's why you didn't chainthrow or laser spam. In a tourney match, moar chainthrows and lazor moar.

Surgo

Smash Apprentice
You'd have gimped some of those Aether recoveries if you dropped off and regained the ledge as he was Aethering, thus having the invincibility frames as he passed you. This can be difficult to time but, hey, they're friendly matches, no reason not to try it right?

Another way to gimp Aether is to hop off the stage and back-air him as he's rising, spiking him against the stage. This can also be difficult to time, and if you do it on FD you'll want to preserve your second jump after the attack, because otherwise you stand a decent chance of SDing. Also, don't do it too much: they'll figure out what you're doing and will tech the hit. This would have been great to do as he was recovering from your chain-throw-to-spike on Smashville.

Very nice phantasm fakes. I still haven't managed to figure out how to do that.

Ike is easier to kill off the side at the percents you were up-smashing him on that match on FD where he won by two stock. In that same match, you did a down throw into an F-smash. Excellent idea, but he got out of it: it looked to me like you could have F-smashed significantly faster than you did (and it would have hit him).

I'll be seeing both you guys in saturday's tournament. Well met!

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
Thanks for the advice Surgo. You might be right about the edge regrabbing, I'm usually too nervous or impatient to try it. I'm not sure about the bair to stage spike, because Ike has super armor until he regrabs the sword during his up+b.

I look forward to meeting you! Jesse told me you two are teaming.

wtMiniMii

Smash Rookie
If you Phantasm, then press B again at the right time, they go short.

BTW, TC, can I have your Friend Code please? Nice Falco. I think I could improve more by playing you.

Sssurivad

Smash Apprentice
Wow I just realized I've seen Kirk play. He won the Gamestop tournament my friend and I went to, he is very good.

younggunzgst

Smash Rookie
that guy is the best ike?? dude my falco will destroy that guy. idk y u lost to him in smashville. u barely chaingrab and when u do, u do it slow as hell. for a person that doesnt own a wii u are pretty good but ur mind games need to improve.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
that guy is the best ike?? dude my falco will destroy that guy. idk y u lost to him in smashville. u barely chaingrab and when u do, u do it slow as hell. for a person that doesnt own a wii u are pretty good but ur mind games need to improve.
It's really hard to tell how good someone is just from videos in this game. Kirk is extremely good.

About the chain grabbing: I don't do it a lot in friendlies, but I know I need to practice it for tournament matches.

Elaborate on the mind games part.

Cojan

Smash Rookie
More B-airs and your use of chaingrabs were so slow some of those grabs were just Kirk's lack of spamming a jab or somethin to get out of it. And chasing Ike is kinda pointless since the sword will just disrupt any sort of attempt to spike.

younggunzgst

Smash Rookie
Talk is cheap.
true. but if this guy who doesnt even own a wii is almost beating that kirk guy then i dont think hes good at all. and that crap about friendlies...cmon. i always play 100% even if its not serious.

about mind games. that kirk guy had ur number when u would come to the stage. change it up every time u come on to the stage. phantasm, come in attacking, etc...

wat u really gotta do is learn how to spike. even though i know it doesnt work at ike at all, u can use it after throwing him down. check this other thread out that explains how to do it. the thread is called falco pillaring even though i call it chain spiking lol.

Sssurivad

Smash Apprentice
true. but if this guy who doesnt even own a wii is almost beating that kirk guy then i dont think hes good at all.
PC Chris didn't own Melee. I guess that makes M2K not good at all. Oh and I've seen Kirk play. He is very good.

younggunzgst

Smash Rookie
w/e bro. i dont take this game as serious as u virgins do. i get on here to check out the advanced techniques so that i implement them in my game and thats it. all i gotta say about those pros is that they have waaaay too much time on their hands.

otg

Smash Master
true. but if this guy who doesnt even own a wii is almost beating that kirk guy then i dont think hes good at all. and that crap about friendlies...cmon. i always play 100% even if its not serious.
Agreed, although your friends might not like it, in the end you will only improve by actually applying it. If you don't like chainthrowing to it's maximum range in friendlies (IE: 0 - 50), than you could only do a few per attempt and than work on some follow ups from out of the last grab.

In regards to Falco's match up vs. Ike, keep in mind how evil of a pressuring tool your laser can be. Chain grab him at low percents and get those easy gimps in with Bair/Dair/shine while he's recovering. If your patient and camp him out, Ike really has nothing on you in this fight.

Overall I like your Falco a lot but you definitely need to use Lasers more and maybe try mixing up Full hopped Nair instead of Uair when trying to punish your opponent when he's above you. In your first fight against Kirk's Ike he kept beating out your Uairs with Dair, when Nair has a bigger hitbox, comes out faster, and would most likely beat out Ike before he can pull out his sword. Uair's hitbox takes a second to come out and is smaller than Uair.

Food for thought.

Wiierd

Smash Cadet
Im a newbie here, and I only just begining to seriously work with Falco, but your fight vids were cool, and helpful. Keep up the good work!

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
w/e bro. i dont take this game as serious as u virgins do. i get on here to check out the advanced techniques so that i implement them in my game and thats it. all i gotta say about those pros is that they have waaaay too much time on their hands.
I think it's a really poor stereotype to try and call a gamer a virgin.

It's not that the pros have too much time, it is that they understand the best methods to improve themselves and compete at high levels.

Kirk

Smash Champion
There's no need to try and defend me guys lol. But I appreciate it nonetheless :p It's just one person...he's entitled to his own opinions.

We had a nice set of games last night KoJ. Can't wait for the smashfest tonight!

--Kirk

EDIT: I also would just like to say I love how nice the people in these forums are. You guys give good advice and leave comments on some of the videos. It's too bad the Ike forums can't be the same way...its too much of a mess over there lol. Maybe I'll hang around here more often :p

EDIT2: KoJ is the s*** :bee:

SunriseW12

Smash Apprentice
you should use more Dash-Usmash and whatever that other upsmash thing is... the one that looks kind of like a wavedash.

Those things win matches

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Very nice Falco, however, you're double lasering "incorrectly".
Both lasers shouldn't go over DK's/Ike's head when you press B at the right time :p

Also, try to dash to up smash right out of a shield drop, it's very useful.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
YAY! More Falco mains makes D1 happy ^____^
Hey Duron. How's it going?

Very nice Falco, however, you're double lasering "incorrectly".
Both lasers shouldn't go over DK's/Ike's head when you press B at the right time :p

Also, try to dash to up smash right out of a shield drop, it's very useful.
I know. I've been trying to drill it lately to get the silent laser on the second shot, but it's really hard to get consistently. In teams I just do the double lasers high because I told N.OW they would go over his head to prevent our opponents from getting to him aerially. I will try the dash u-smash because I always seem to get knocked pretty far in my shield; usually it's too far to do anything except Shine.

D1

Banned via Administration
Hey Duron. How's it going?

I know. I've been trying to drill it lately to get the silent laser on the second shot, but it's really hard to get consistently. In teams I just do the double lasers high because I told N.OW they would go over his head to prevent our opponents from getting to him aerially. I will try the dash u-smash because I always seem to get knocked pretty far in my shield; usually it's too far to do anything except Shine.
Its Dee Wun!!!!

X___x

*cries*

Top Bottom