• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Knuckles Weak, Forearms are Heavy,

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Hey so I've been around here a long time; I'm as far from new at smash as one can be but i've only just started to notice that my right hand - the one I don't write with - cannot keep up with my left. Rather and furthermore, it is the hand that presses all the buttons when I play this marvelous video game.

I never really thought about the reason I flub shorthops occasionally before, but I now realize that my still not being that good at melee probably has absolutely nothing to do with muscle memory: I've been SHFFL'ing in this game since it came out and in GH3 I managed to beat Through the Fire and Flames with 5 stars on Expert a few years ago (yeah, a 9 year old got a perfect score, shut up). What the problem does seem to be to me is my complete disregard of my subservient hand which I've now sacrificed as a burnt offering to my computer mouse and to SSBM.

Last night at a local tourney, after an hour and a half of friendlies and pools which came after lots of lifting and computer usage at my internship, insert more johns here, I played one of Houston's best players. He shook my right hand before the match with a firm (but not harmful) handshake and what was left of my right hand writhed in agony. It felt like when someone squeezes your hand really hard, only he didn't, at all. It was then that I realized I should probably go home and let that hand rest for awhile, especially since I'm going to freaking Evo next week. So far it's been feeling stiff, clogged and very uncomfortable. My hand, not my nose. My forearm feels strained as well. I've typed all of this with my left hand and now it's aching too LOL.

Any suggestions bronachos?

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Stretch every day, ice for a day or 2, ibuprofen daily.

Ibuprofen isn't just for pain, it's anti-inflammatory properties will help alleviate swelling and your body's overall reaction to the stress you've put on your hand. Just take 2-3 three times a day, with food, to play it safe. Liqui-Gels are easier on your stomach (although if you take tablets right before a meal you're fine). The anti-inflammatory properties are seen much more after days of regular use. Once Evo is over, unless you're still in pain, discontinue use. Not that it's bad for you, but too much of anything is bad.

Last edited:

Rewrite

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I thought this was an Eminem 'Mom's Spaghetti' pun.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Update: so my fingers still ache; I'm putting up with the pain for now but if Evo comes before it goes ill take ibuprofen and maybe try ice. For most of today I've left my arms limp at my sides a la Orochimaru - especially my right. My whole hands ached because of all the blood accumulating in them, but I kept at it and I stayed super hydrated.

Later tonight I decided to practice some; I noticed then that there's virtually no pain while I let my hands sit very low as I play while sitting down (almost to my knees), which gives me the impression that my hands do a lot more work when my arms are resting by them than when I'm leaving my arms pointing to the ground. Like my hands have been holding up my forearms, or something ridiculous like that maybe or maybe not idk. Anyway.

So I played a savvy friend - I'd say he's in the top 50% of players at local tournaments. I played him with my arms extended down between my legs and I had SUPER clean movement. I won most of the games, and my hands were a bit twitchy afterwards limp at my sides but they didn't ache much at all. So I think I found a thing that works! For now. I'll keep my condition updated in case someone else is interested.

Edit: paragraph 2 made absolutely no sense

Last edited:
Top Bottom