• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Known] I discovered a use for side-b, not sure if already known.

IoSSBM

Smash Cadet
On Pokemon Stadium, wait for the Water transformation. if you Side-B on the windmill at the right time, you can slide off and do an aerial. It is done on the blade as it is passing around the 1:30 o clock position. With the right timing, it can send Peach almost to the edge. I'm not sure if it can be of much use, but I wanted to share anyway. Sorry in advance for a lack of a good camera.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
This is already known, as #SplitsOnTrees pointed out. But is there discussion on setups for these yet? I always end up missing the right spacing on the Rock Wall transformation and YS edge.

Props on using the windmill though, I didn't think of that aha

Sycorax

Smash Ace
It's the same principle as a VuduDash. If you slide off a ledge while in a special move animation, you conserve all of your horizontal momentum instead of only part of it. There is a lot of momentum in your side-b. It should be noted that the side-b animation doesn't cancel. There are about 22 frames of inactionable lag while flying through the air after sliding off the ledge.

You can set this up on any slanted platform, e.g. windmill, the bush on the grass transformation, any of various slants on the rock transformation. You can even do it on Randall too! If you time it perfectly so that Randall moves up into you causing you to land, you'll then go sliding off him with a lots of momentum. That's some TAS stuff though. The slants on Yoshi's story won't allow you to go flying through the air, but you can still do it on them and slide a bit on the ground.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
What's a VuduDash? And I picked up on those 22 inactionable frames while screwing around with edge-cancels in PM lmao. Is there a known reason for why Peach Bomber can't be edge-canceled? Like are there other moves that can't that share a similar property? Been curious about it for a while.

Also, by setups for Peach Bomber sliding off a ledge (we need a name for it), I meant like...the easiest ways to consistently put Peach in the best position to slide off properly. Like running off and side-bing back on immediately or after a slight delay (with/without holding forwards), or the general spacing for when you should side-b if you're rising/falling by the slanted edge (with/without forward momentum), etc. I think PGH Carroll just did run-off into side-Bs on both PS Rock transformation and YS edge, but I've tried that and hadn't gotten them consistently. On netplay, to be fair lmao. Been a while since I goofed around with tech grinds so I'll prob test this tonight to make sure.

Last edited:

Sycorax

Smash Ace
What's a VuduDash?
What's a vududash!?!? This is a Vududash. Also, this. You wavedash with Luigi, use a fireball, and then slide off the stage. This allows Luigi to fly very far in the air. You'll notice it's much farther than Luigi is normally able to travel in the air.

This is why it happens. When you normally slide off a ledge, e.g. ledge canceling an aerial or just dashing off, if you are moving faster than you maximum air speed, your speed will be reduced to your maximum air speed upon entering the air. If you are moving slower, then you just move off at that speed. Entering a teeter before going off the ledge probably also affects your speed, but I don't know the specifics

However, specials moves allow you to maintain ALL of your speed when you enter the are. When you are using a special move, the game doesn't restrict your character's momentum. Further, special moves cannot be edge canceled. None of them. If you are using a special move and go sliding off a ledge, you will remain in that special move animation. Sometimes, for certain moves, the animation will change from a grounded animation to an aerial animation. For Peach's bomber, she transitions from grounded landing lag into aerial ending lag. If Peach slides off on frame 5 of her side-b landing lag, she will enter the air on frame 6 of her aerial ending lag of side-b.

So, some characters can gain a lot of speed and then use a special move right before sliding off the ledge in order to maintain that speed. If Luigi wavedashes off a ledge, he'll quickly slow down upon entering the air. If he uses a fireball before sliding off, he will keep that speed and fly through the air. It should be noted that a lot of special moves physically change your character's speed, e.g. all up-b's, Falcon's side-b, Fox's side-b, Marth's side-b, Marth's down-b, Falco's down-b, etc. These speed changing effects will take over the conserved momentum carried off the edge. This is why Vudu dashing doesn't work with the rest of Luigi's special moves.

EDIT: I lied, some can be edge canceled (IC's neutral-b is the only one I know so far). I'm going to have to look further into this.

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Memetastic explanation, thank you lol. So...Peach Bomber doesn't get edge-cancelled since it's among the various specials that don't, and if a special move is active within a short window from sliding off a plat, it maintains horizontal momentum? Or does it have to be started on the point of the edge that gives you edge-cancels? Assuming the latter, since this would explain Sheik's movement when running off an edge and double-poof vanishing (which does require starting up-b on that point).

Off-topic, this is all super bizarre for me as a PM player since there's a similar wacky tech that Luigis can exploit by falling through plats. I'm guessing this is a byproduct of the Brawl engine, since it's not brought up in the Vududash tutorial you linked despite being a better option (lower commitment).

EDIT -- Guess I just sucked because it's not actually that hard lol.
EDIT2- Had frame data below this but I thought it deserved it's own post, see below.

Last edited:

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Memetastic explanation, thank you lol. So...Peach Bomber doesn't get edge-cancelled since it's among the various specials that don't, and if a special move is active within a short window from sliding off a plat, it maintains horizontal momentum? Or does it have to be started on the point of the edge that gives you edge-cancels? Assuming the latter, since this would explain Sheik's movement when running off an edge and double-poof vanishing (which does require starting up-b on that point).

Off-topic, this is all super bizarre for me as a PM player since there's a similar wacky tech that Luigis can exploit by falling through plats. I'm guessing this is a byproduct of the Brawl engine, since it's not brought up in the Vududash tutorial you linked despite being a better option (lower commitment).

EDIT -- Guess I just sucked because it's not actually that hard lol.
You can start the special move and time before leaving the platform. The thing with sheik is that she has lots of friction and I think her up-b causes her to slow down. That's why she needs to start close to the edge because she'll slow to a stop before reaching the edge.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Frame 0 -- = Last frame before going airborne. Continuing to hold left won't affect the frame data below.
Frame 1-5 = Input side-B to slide off and quickly travel a long distance. Inactionable for 22 frames, which should be just before you pass over the metal border along pokemon stadium (where the dirt on the ground ends). There's a pretty large window to throw turnip backwards and grab ledge after the 22 frames, if you have one handy. Fastfalling, double-jumping backwards into float for backwards momentum, fastfalling FC Fair is pretty fun too lol.
Frame 6 -- = Input side-B to slide off and slowly travel a short distance.
Frame 7 -- = Input side-B to miss the platform.
Frame 0 -- = First visually airborne frame. Continuing to hold down won't affect the frame data below. Dropping through platforms requires two+ frames of holding down, and takes up four frames. Visually, frames 1-3 are the transition to crouching and frame 4 characters are airborne, but anything inputted for these four frames will count as a grounded move. If you choose to shield drop, you skip the first 3 frames with however long you take to shield drop, but the next airborne frame will still be counted as a grounded move.
Frame 1-2 . = Input side-B to slide off and quickly travel a long distance.
Frame 3-7 . = Input side-B to slide off and slowly travel a short distance.
Frame 8 -- . = Input side-B to slide off and quickly travel a long distance.
Frame 9-10 = Input side-B to slide off and slowly travel a short distance.
Frame 11 -. = Input side-B to slide off and quickly travel a medium distance into an edge cancel. So long as you use your C-stick for directional inputs, you can use any of your aerials with enough time for the hitboxes to come out have them edge cancel...lmfaooo 1-frame peach bomber tech let's go
Frame 12 -. = Input side-B to miss the platform.
Frame 0 -- . = First visually airborne frame. The control stick must be in neutral position during this frame.
Frame 1 -- . = Hold down to fastfall.
Frame 2-5 . = Hold down to fastfall.
-----------(or)--= Input side-B to slide off and slowly travel a short distance.
Frame 6 -- . = Input side-B to slide off and quickly travel a medium distance into an edge cancel.
Frame 7 -- . = Input side-B to miss the platform.
Frame 0 -- = Last frame before going airborne. Continuing to hold left won't affect the frame data below.
Frame 1 -- = Input side-B to slide a long distance.
Frame 2-6 = Input side-B to slide a slightly longer distance.
Frame 7 -- = Input side-B to slide a long distance.
Frame 8 -- = Input side-B to hit the stage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom