• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Knockback statistics

Amarkov

Smash Apprentice
I was curious to see exactly how knockback scales in Brawl. So I spent a lot of the last weekend running tests.

First, I had to determine the exact damage of an attack. As you may know, attacks rarely (read: almost never) really do an integer amount of damage. However, the screen display does not show decimal amounts, so the increase seen on-screen is not necessarily the actual increase in damage. It's possible to determine the damage a move does more accurately by repeatedly doing it on an opponent and taking the average damage, with a suicide between each use of the move to reset the move decay. So I did this with Sonic's dtilt, and determined that it does approximately 6.28% damage.

At the end of a normal brawl, one of the statistics displayed is the knockback on your most powerful attack. So I looked at the knockback for various damages (obtained by using the dtilt) on Ganondorf, Toon Link, and Fox. Knockback generally scaled linearly with damage, although the weight of the character obviously affected this. By extrapolating backwards to knockback at 0% (impossible, since knockback is calculated after damage), I found a base knockback, which is completely unaffected by the character the move is used on.

For Sonic's dtilt (and I suspect most attacks), there is are points where the knockback makes a non-linear "jump". It seems to happen first when an opponent without DI lands while in hitstun, and the jump ranges from -112 for Jigglypuff to 531 for Fox. Mario, Pit, and G&W, oddly, had a jump of 0. And arranging characters by the increase (or decrease) in knocback at this point produces the fall speed list.

Now, I have no idea if this is at all useful. But it's certainly interesting regardless.

Top Bottom