• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Knitting a Yoshi Chart - MU Portal

Y

YoshiStar5000

Does anyone know how in the heck you would fight an Olimar/Alph? XD There's like one in a hundred chance of fighting him but its so.....weird to fight him.
Well I would say it's in Yoshi's favour. Most Olimars are campy and rely on throwing his pikmin everywhere. If a pikmin is stuck to you a Nair should get rid of it and try to use dash attack to get in while he's throwing things. Just don't get D-throwed because I think it's a Garunteed 15-20% or something.

Dunno about anyone else, but I'm fortunate (or unfortunate?) enough to have the best characters of Fox sonic mewtwo etc. in the world in my state. So facing an actual good sonic + other randoms that use Sonic, I can comfortably say this MU is prolly a -1 for us.
-2 if it's a better player playing sonic vs a bad Yoshi main.
I think it really depends on the Sonics playstyle. If it camps and spin-dash cancels a lot, then Sonic wins slightly. If more rush down, slightly for Yoshi.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pajon

Smash Rookie
NNID
thepajon
Sonic can capitalize punishments and can get away scot-free with relative ease. He can kill more quickly than Yoshi ever will. A great sonic will keep you chasing after him while he just weaves in and out to get hits in. He's easily one of yoshi's worser matchups.
Well unless you are down in percent and he is trying to time you out, I don't see why you should be chasing sonic.

Dunno about anyone else, but I'm fortunate (or unfortunate?) enough to have the best characters of Fox sonic mewtwo etc. in the world in my state. So facing an actual good sonic + other randoms that use Sonic, I can comfortably say this MU is prolly a -1 for us.
-2 if it's a better player playing sonic vs a bad Yoshi main.
Not to sound like a douche or anything but if your playing people better than you and losing it probably has nothing to do with the match-up not being in our favor. I said it is close to even or slightly in our favor. So in the better player should win.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Well thing is I'm playing other sonic mains too that're lower leveled and I'm still having a rough time against em.
So far you haven't made a write up or anything on why you think sonic doesn't lose against Yoshi nor even presented vids of you beating some in your state.

Please do one of the two before claiming something.

Last edited:

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Well unless you are down in percent and he is trying to time you out, I don't see why you should be chasing sonic.

Not to sound like a douche or anything but if your playing people better than you and losing it probably has nothing to do with the match-up not being in our favor. I said it is close to even or slightly in our favor. So in the better player should win.
Yoshi is easily outclassed in speed so of course we're going to be chasing sonic around. Are you expecting to camp him out with SH ET or ETS? Think again, he ran halfway across the map and is already in your face. Sonic has the luxury to pick his openings especially faking out spin dash + spin charge. Spin dash is an incredible move for sonic and gives him the ability to rack up damage quickly. Trades are not favorable for us as we lose out over time and therefore we are usually chasing sonic.

Last edited:

Fuerzo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Erudites
Wait, when did we agree on Charizard being that close a MU? I always considered it Yoshi's easiest, though I'm hardly a professional.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Click the first spoiler and then the Charizard head to read up on the discussion.
I didn't even know it was happening, but even if I did I wouldn't have been able to help.

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
Hey guys....I need help with the Rosalina MU.(my friend swapped to Rosalina after I beat his zamus so much...he was originally a Shulk main b4 he swapped to top tiers to beat me).

Anyway all storytelling aside, It feels like everything she has is MASSIVELY disjointed and super safe. Combine that with her glass cannon status and Luma and I find I have a VERY DIFFICULT time getting in.

She could just wall me out with f-airs/ n-airs, luma can tank my hits or Rosa can use her tilts to stop me in my tracks.

It feels like its the worst MU for Yoshi specifically bc she basically shuts down everything we can do...eggs don't help much, her disjoints destroy us in the air....her lingering hitboxes on her up and down tilt make landing a trial in and of itself.

Rosalina with rage is a NIGHTMARE! Plus, Luma benefits from rage as well. (I DIED AT 30% FROM ITS UP AIR when she was at 112% at mid height, center stage)

Please someone help me. Does this MU become any more bearable with customs on?

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Get rid of luma and destroy Rosalina. Bout all there is too it, especially since they keep nerfing Luma's health. Now they just need to nerf his knockback scaling.

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
I've been destroying the meatshield time and time again
but it just seems like Rosa has a great enough toolkit without luma that it's still a huge struggle for Yoshi to get in....

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Guess you should just watch a couple Rosalina Yoshi vids, dunno if any out there but you can just search for my games if you don't get any luck to see how i play against rosalina.

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
Alright. I'll do that. Thanks Slush.
EDIT: Just watched You vs Jopan, that was crazy. Is it possible to lock luma in our down tilt like you did on Smashville? Also are stages with platforms more favorable for us than Final Destination/ Omega stages in this MU?

Last edited:
Y

YoshiStar5000

Yoshi is easily outclassed in speed so of course we're going to be chasing sonic around. Are you expecting to camp him out with SH ET or ETS? Think again, he ran halfway across the map and is already in your face. Sonic has the luxury to pick his openings especially faking out spin dash + spin charge. Spin dash is an incredible move for sonic and gives him the ability to rack up damage quickly. Trades are not favorable for us as we lose out over time and therefore we are usually chasing sonic.
Ummm... what's SH ET and ETS?

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Ummm... what's SH ET and ETS?
Short hop Egg Toss and Egg Toss Slide (a jump-canceled egg toss after a dash/run). Both options keep Yoshi mobile but isn't quite effective against a rushdown character especially the likes of Sonic.

Hey guys....I need help with the Rosalina MU.(my friend swapped to Rosalina after I beat his zamus so much...he was originally a Shulk main b4 he swapped to top tiers to beat me).

Anyway all storytelling aside, It feels like everything she has is MASSIVELY disjointed and super safe. Combine that with her glass cannon status and Luma and I find I have a VERY DIFFICULT time getting in.

She could just wall me out with f-airs/ n-airs, luma can tank my hits or Rosa can use her tilts to stop me in my tracks.

It feels like its the worst MU for Yoshi specifically bc she basically shuts down everything we can do...eggs don't help much, her disjoints destroy us in the air....her lingering hitboxes on her up and down tilt make landing a trial in and of itself.

Rosalina with rage is a NIGHTMARE! Plus, Luma benefits from rage as well. (I DIED AT 30% FROM ITS UP AIR when she was at 112% at mid height, center stage)

The MU is quite the wall to climb. I got two sets posted in the video thread, with two contrasting playstyles. In the first set I make sure to get Luma knocked away as much as possible. However in the case of the 2nd vid, he has much better control over his star and I'm pretty much SOL.

My advice is to pick off Luma whenever possible, neutral egg lay doesn't quite help here so you will probably find luck with Egg launch (and maybe Lick). Egg toss is a hit or miss in this mu because Rosa can just absorb or just approach wtih Luma as her shield as we're tossing the egg.

1 Win

2 Loss

Last edited:
Y

YoshiStar5000

Ok
Short hop Egg Toss and Egg Toss Slide (a jump-canceled egg toss after a dash/run). Both options keep Yoshi mobile but isn't quite effective against a rushdown character especially the likes of Sonic.

The MU is quite the wall to climb. I got two sets posted in the video thread, with two contrasting playstyles. In the first set I make sure to get Luma knocked away as much as possible. However in the case of the 2nd vid, he has much better control over his star and I'm pretty much SOL.

My advice is to pick off Luma whenever possible, neutral egg lay doesn't quite help here so you will probably find luck with Egg launch (and maybe Lick). Egg toss is a hit or miss in this mu because Rosa can just absorb or just approach wtih Luma as her shield as we're tossing the egg.
1 Win
2 Loss
Ok thanks m8. I know how to do both of them

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
I'm pretty sure Slush and the rest of the board agrees on Sonic winning this MU. If customs are on Sonic is even tougher for Yoshi.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I been lazy lately cause other people have been lazy lately or just don't like the snoreboreds layout.
Sonic is agreed upon everyone that he's a -1 for us but one Yoshi main and a sonic main think it's +1.

It requires discussion from both sides honestly from multiple people, cause it feels like bias from the two people saying that Yoshi wins the MU.

salaboB

Smash Champion
The only thing I have (That I haven't seen mentioned) to try to deal with Sonic is to randomly throw out a grounded down-B when he's trying his approach mixups. It feels like he comes in fast enough that it can be hard for him to react in time -- but it could just be my Sonic friend sucking.

Last edited:

Doublenickels

Smash Cadet
NNID
IamDoublenickels

Hey, I know it's a little late but the Rosalina matchup is one I play all the time and I have a few small points to make about the matchup.

Like Slush said, getting rid of Luma is a big part of it.

Other than that, the big things to me are:
1. Never let her get a free landing, she struggles so much when she's above you, juggle as much as you can and punish her awful landing options.

2. If you grab while luma is around, throw her right away to avoid getting hit by luma, and wait for the luma to attack before you try to follow anything up.

3. Her recovery is extremely easy to catch as there is no hitbox on the up B, your runoff bair, fair facing the stage or a dair can keep her from getting back, so try to force her to go low.

4. Baiting grav pull with eggs is easy, which makes it easy to get rid of luma or grab Rosi.

You probably know a lot of this stuff, because you smashboards guys are already really knowledgeable, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

pato_

Smash Rookie
Maybe this has been asked before but I can't find it...anyway, what would you say are Yoshi's worst matchups? I'm guessing sheik is a big problem but I would love to hear your opinion.

I main Yoshi and I'm thinking of practicing with a new secondary (currently it is Ness but I don't know, I feel like I should be playing with someone else) to cover his bad matchups, I'm thinking either Luigi (even if he is hard as f* to use, at least to me) or Ness.

Thanks in advance

Oh, I'd like to add that while I have problems against certain characters I feel it is more because I made mistakes and not because Yoshi couldn't handle it, in other words, so far I blame myself and not the character haha but I mostly play against friends and lack real tourney experience which I plan to change in the coming months :)

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Yoshi doesn't deal well with very fast, rush down characters. So Sheik, Sonic, possibly Falcon/Fox, etc. The exception to this is Little Mac, in my opinion, because Little Mac sucks.

Everyone else he goes roughly even with imo. Characters who are very large and slow get crushed.

Ultimately, Yoshi doesn't get really shut down by any characters. He has decent enough options, but you'll definitely be fighting uphill battles against most of the top tier cast. Nothing unwinnable, so keep at it!

pato_

Smash Rookie
Ultimately, Yoshi doesn't get really shut down by any characters. He has decent enough options, but you'll definitely be fighting uphill battles against most of the top tier cast. Nothing unwinnable, so keep at it!
this is exactly how I feel, I haven't fought against anyone that, after losing, I felt like there was nothing I could have done to win the match, it is just that with so many options I picked the wrong one haha, I just need to practice more with him, he is so much fun to play as

I've also found that playing against Sonic, nair is king :)

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Nair stops Sonic cold - I rarely have difficulty with Sonic as Yoshi. If you can keep off the ground and out-aerial him, you should be OK.

I have a lot of trouble against Shulk though, but this might be a me thing rather than a Yoshi thing.

Toonation

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aghiliz
3DS FC
0490-5328-2001
The only thing I find Yoshi having trouble with is killing a Good Sheik at a decent percent even then it doesn't feel like the end of the world If you actually space and read properly. I feel like Yoshi has so much approach mix ups with eggs and aerials like you can approach from anywhere. I noticed you can also just go on autopilot and not worry about spacing and reading in a lot of MUs (just rush in) seeing his nair is so good.

idk I feel like in terms of play there's the "rush in" yoshi and the "defensive" yoshi and both seem completely
viable. He doesn't seem to be forced to play a certain way. I love him because he has so much freedom :p
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Idk about Sonic I've never really had a problem with them. Yoshi is more aerials based than him plus he seems very readable and egg throw seems to really mess up the FG sonics .

Question has someone faced a good MK yet (ik there's a link but fishing here :p) ?

I haven't fought good MKs yet however they seem strange. I feel like just keeping them at bay then getting a good read on them then do Yoshi stuff.

What's the priority on MK's down B cape slash like can you read it and charge a smash attack like a Fsmash?

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
The only thing I find Yoshi having trouble with is killing a Good Sheik at a decent percent even then it doesn't feel like the end of the world If you actually space and read properly. I feel like Yoshi has so much approach mix ups with eggs and aerials like you can approach from anywhere. I noticed you can also just go on autopilot and not worry about spacing and reading in a lot of MUs (just rush in) seeing his nair is so good.

idk I feel like in terms of play there's the "rush in" yoshi and the "defensive" yoshi and both seem completely
viable. He doesn't seem to be forced to play a certain way. I love him because he has so much freedom :p
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Idk about Sonic I've never really had a problem with them. Yoshi is more aerials based than him plus he seems very readable and egg throw seems to really mess up the FG sonics .

Question has someone faced a good MK yet (ik there's a link but fishing here :p) ?

I haven't fought good MKs yet however they seem strange. I feel like just keeping them at bay then getting a good read on them then do Yoshi stuff.

What's the priority on MK's down B cape slash like can you read it and charge a smash attack like a Fsmash?
I haven't fought a MK outside of Glory, but what I do know is he can counter rush-downs very easily. His neutral-B trumps Yoshi's nair, shutting down a lot of approach options. I tend to play very defensively against MK, relying on eggs and reads to get in when I can.

Doublenickels

Smash Cadet
NNID
IamDoublenickels

I just faced two MKs in a row in bracket this past weekend actually. The dimensional cape has a lot of priority, I wouldn't challenge it, but when he attacks out of it, there is a ton of end lag to punish.

As far as keeping them at bay, yeah, you will want to use eggs to keep him out but you also want to abuse his short range with your further ranged attacks, like d-tilt, fair, etc.

Also, I don't know if this is just coincidence, but every stock I took was with down B, either they would chase too high trying to kill off the top and I'd get it out fast enough or they'd be trying to come in with an aerial and I could catch them with the grounded version. It may have just been those two players making poor choices, but know that you can kill him with it, pretty early too. I'd say it's at least important to know that if he gets you high in the air, he's going for the upB kill more than likely and you can anticipate it with the down B, and probably other options.

Another thing I noticed, is that I didn't go after him off stage much in those sets, I'm not sure if that helped me or not, at the very least, it was safe :/

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Alright let's try and get this first wave done at least lol, gonna add :4sonic:

:4diddy:
http://smashboards.com/threads/match-up-discussion-diddy-kong.391471/
Patch happened, rediscussion on this get too it

:4sheik:
http://smashboards.com/threads/mu-discussion-sheik.374421/page-3
Some things changed, she still flails her arms around and beats us to the ground, discuss sum more outside of yoheking theorycrafting immensely

:4sonic:
http://smashboards.com/threads/mu-discussion-sonic.396456/
Some say we win, most say we lose. Let's discuss it then eventually bring in the Sanic's if we have our own conclusion.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
What you guys think about the :4yoshi: x :4rob: matchup?
Ooh, both of my mains... I haven't seen much of this MU myself, but since I use both frequently I'd be in a good position to test things out if you want. I'd love to see some videos of this.

In my mind, I feel like Yoshi wins in the air (R.O.B.'s aerials are all pretty slow and easily countered by all of Yoshi's aerials). On the ground, R.O.B. may have an advantage. At range, Yoshi can arc the eggs over gyro (normally, R.O.B. can use gyro to block some projectiles and attacks), but then he's got to worry about lasers. R.O.B.'s grab and punish game is better too, and if lasers are used correctly that could tie up Yoshi's approach.

If it were me as Yoshi, I'd spend a lot of my time in the air. Nair is your friend.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
ROB gets juggled easily cause of his size, slow aerials to try and counter us if we go in instead of tossing eggs at him in the air so still easy to juggle cause of size and UpB not allowing him to airdodge, and if we take his gyro we have more options than he does. If you allow him to dthrow uair you half of your 2/3 stocks (whatever your region plays) then you're prolly in trouble.
Feels like one of those MUs where the stage can determine how the match will go.

Last edited:

Fuerzo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Erudites
A discovery from playing on Anthers--Confusion kills Yoshi's double jump. Still a matchup well in Yoshi's favor, but be even more careful than usual with recovery against Mewtwo.

Kaishin

Smash Apprentice
Rosalina main here.

I'm really surprised to see that you guys think Rosalina is negative (and significantly so, at 40:60) when both the Rosalina board and myself think he's her worst matchup.

Why do you guys think that?

With customs it might be true, but I really can't see Rosalina being 60:40 against Yoshi without them. That is a ridiculous notion.

Rosalina gets kills in a lot of different ways, having one of the most diverse movesets in terms of killing options. Yoshi shuts almost all of these down. Usmash and Fsmash are very difficult to land because virtually everything Yoshi does is safe. There's really no punish game outside of grabs, which are very risky at high percents because a Yoshi player can down b without much risk at all and instantly kill a Rosalina attempting to grab.

The big aerial killers are Uair and Dair. Any time Rosalina could possibly land a Luma Dair, Yoshi is either shielding or offstage in his DJ or egging Rosalina and the Luma and knocking them out of that move. Uair is similarly difficult, because Yoshi's air speed is so amazing he can simply flee offstage and start shooting eggs. Rosalina is of course not spiking Yoshi any time soon. Which brings me to my next point:

Yoshi's recovery is virtually ungimpable thanks to his eggs. They stop every single attempt at a punish due to their large hitbox and massive amounts of hitstun. The eggs are bad for her in neutral as well because of said hitstun and the fact that they knock Rosalina quite far into the air as well as the Luma away. Rosalina never wants to be in the air except by her own choosing, because she is defenseless, takes forever to hit the ground, is lumaless, and dies early to Yoshi's usmash. As for punishing them off stage, it might be possible with an amazingly timed gravity pull, but Yoshi just fires those things so fast and if Rosalina so much as looks at them funny, her massive hurtbox insures she gets hit and knocked into the air away from Yoshi.

DJ is also very difficult to gimp, but unlike the eggs it's actually possible with a grab or well-spaced smash. Not gonna comment on it much.

This leaves the Nair and the Jab, which are definitely reliable but don't kill until like 160% due to how heavy Yoshi is. Yoshi is killing Rosalina at about 120 in the worst case scenario.

Yoshi's killers, on the other hand, are very diverse here. Down B parries grabs and instantly kills Rosalina at about 90-120, depending on stage. Fair is the one spike in the game Rosalina actually has to respect, because if challenged it GameStop trades with her own Fair. Usmash is incredibly fast with massive range and Yoshi can slide into it without much fear of a punish because worst comes to worst, he gets grabbed, if that.

Uair is also a fantastic kill move, but killing Rosalina with it isn't much different than killing most other characters, so I won't touch on it much. I will mention, however, that it can't be challenged because it is backed by DJ armor. Not that I would usually, but the option is definitely desirable in many cases.

Yoshi wins neutral with his eggs. Yes, Rosalina can GP them, but that doesn't force Yoshi to approach. Rosalina has one approach in her dash attack (because it ducks under the eggs' trajectory) whereas Yoshi has several (Standard B, Nair, Dair, and especially Fair). Fair hit and runs seem pretty staple here. They are scary and do quite a bit of damage. Nair outprioritizes almost everything. Standard B is a mixup against shields. SH Dair is quite possibly the nastiest, because it's only punish outside of a grab is Usmash before it lands, but that rarely, if ever, happens because Dair hits Rosalina before the hitbox reaches Yoshi (or before it even comes out, sometimes). It also breaks shields.

Rosalina's damage racking moves are rendered a lot less useful against Yoshi. I won't touch too much on them but because he's floaty he's hard to combo and can get away easily. But he's heavy, like Samus, so there is a huge need to get his percentage up there. Of particular note is his Nair: it's nasty for escaping the jab combo, because it insures that Rosalina only gets 8 or 9 damage (as opposed to say, 20, like with most chars). If Yoshi is too high during the start of the jab, he can punish Rosalina before she finishes as well.

I could keep going on but I feel like I've scratched the surface enough and will wait for a response first. But this is really an awful matchup for Rosalina. Almost all of her kill options are shut down and it's difficult to rack up damage on Yoshi due to how hard he is punish and how floaty he is, and in contrast he gets free reign Yoshi'ing all over the place.

Edit: Also, besides apparently Rosalina, who do you think Yoshi's worst matchups are against? Certainly you guys have played enough of him to know that, even if the matchup chart isn't completely (or even halfway) filled out.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The right side of the ratios represent the enemy boards decision.
You guys discussed Yoshi in like week 1 of your thing MaSG been doing though, he jumped the gun too early and should've waited for the metagame to develop and wait for top players for a bunch of characters to pop up before doing all that.

As for people saying what they think, it's just opinions, with the slow rate our current 3 discussions are going we prolly won't get to Rosalina ever unless we do like a MU chart like the Brawl days with some staff just grabbing the more knowledgeable people and having a few months of discussion.
But other than that, take MU discussions from any character boards with a very small grain of salt, cause a lot of players are new to the game and still learning while not actually playing the best of the best to have a solid theory of how the MU should play out from both sides.

Kaishin

Smash Apprentice
Oh, ooooh, OOOOOOH. See, when you say "Left side will be Yoshi, Right will be Them." that refers to the numbers in the matchup listing and not the left or right sides of the ratios. I think that should be more clarified in the post.

In any case, I don't consider myself a bad Rosalina, and I have fought a lot of Yoshi players. It is almost unfair how much he destroys this MU. That is most certainly not exaggerated, unlike something such as Rosalina vs Olimar, where it's not obvious that Rosalina can GP Pikmin and so early MU discussions misrepresent.

Also, I edited my previous post, maybe you didn't see it: Do you guys know who Yoshi's worst MUs are? You have of course played the character a lot, so even without the matchup discussions for over half the cast you all should probably have a good answer to this.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Well, the idea at first from that statement was every character board was just gonna discuss their own stuff and never call others over.
But I completely forgot to factor in the rare occasions that both sides are actually active in the discussion (ala first one being done for us is Shulk where we both got a ratio down)

Though since the Yoshi mains are clearly not discussing much. I kinda prolly thought of all dis cause if right side has a ratio only, they most likely discussed between themselves and decided what it'd be. I did make sure to put down "X side only"

Last edited:

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
I'm not really active in competitive play, but I think some of the things @ Kaishin Kaishin said about the Rosalina matchup don't swing it that far in Yoshi's favor.

Rosalina has many disjointed hitboxes, so Yoshi's Down+B and Uair can be easily interrupted by a well placed dair/uair or usmash. Aerial Down+B is really unsafe and can be punished on landing, or even with a simple uair. As for his smash attacks, they're pretty telegraphed since they're our only really reliable kill moves on the ground - plus fsmash and dsmash have a lot of ending lag. Yoshi also doesn't have any guaranteed kill setups, so a smart opponent can often live to pretty high percentages. We have small hitboxes in general and no disjoints, so Rosalina can use that to her advantage to keep Yoshi out of her face. Also, I think that our Neutral+B is mostly useless in this matchup since Luma can just attack us while Rosalina's trapped, though I'm not 100% sure on that one.

That isn't saying that Yoshi doesn't have any good tools in this matchup, what you were saying about double jump armor and eggs being good options is right, and the nair combo breaker is always really good against jab combos. But while Yoshi's attacks come out fast, we have a bad neutral game and can't kill that early outside of a really good read. I think this is just a tough matchup that requires a lot of effort from both players. Anyone can feel free to correct me on any of this if I'm wrong though, this is mostly just theorizing based on general knowledge of the characters since I don't have much personal experience at high levels of play.

Top Bottom