• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KLPI's Get Good Smash Bi-Weekly 10/25/14

Ponkapa

Smash Cadet
KLPI's Get Good Smash Bi-Weekly 2.4, 10/25/2014 at Louisiana Tech
Initial Thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/oct-...m-tournament-spooky-edition-ruston-la.374277/

So, there isn't a prefix for -just- Project M + Smash 3DS yet so I guess just Project M will have to do.

We had a total of:
-27 entrants for Project M
-18 entrants for Smash 3DS
Stream has recordings of matches:
http://www.twitch.tv/getgoodsmash

YouTube uploads:
PLACEHOLDER FOR YOUTUBE

Project M Entry Fee: 2$
Smash 3DS Entry Fee: 2$

End split was 60/30/10 for 1st, 2nd, 3rd respectively.
Key: Nothing means they didn't tell me their main (Wahh :yoshi:)
:RANDOM: means they chose random throughout the tournament.

1. Ponkapa :yoshi2: ($32.40)
2. Mr. Fish :gw::falco::lucas::fox::falcon::toonlink::ganondorf: ($16.20)
3. Gooz :wolf::link2: ($5.40)
4. TxB | Se7en :link2::toonlink:
5. Frosti :falcon:
5. Woots :olimar:
7. KinGly :mario2::ganondorf:
7. TxB | Ramsaur :ganondorf::mario2::falco::link2:
9. Bestrin :ness2::kirby2:
9. Crag :kirby2:
9. Rodan :peach::fox:
9. Spots :mario2:
13. Bad :ivysaur:
13. Hizzah :zelda:
13. Talon :ike:
13. TxB | eMan :lucario:
17. Amigo :mario2:
17. Bain :charizard:
17. Blur :kirby2:
17. Chuck :roypm:
17. GR88 :falco::gw::falcon:
17. Gus :mario2::squirtle:
17. Kirby DownB :lucario:
17. SSP Trip :ivysaur:
25. Chris :kirby2:
25. Dialga :charizard::gw:
25. King Koopa :kirby2:

1. Ponkapa :4yoshi: ($21.60)
2. Gooz :4falcon::4megaman::4palutena::4samus: ($10.80)
3. Talon :4robinm: ($3.60)
4. Bain :4pacman::4megaman::4villager:
5. TxB | Ramsaur :4ganondorf::4gaw:
5. TxB | Se7en :4link::4sheik:
7. KinGly :4bowser::4mario::4zss:
7. SSP Trip :4sheik:
9. Crag :4jigglypuff::4olimar:
9. dYb :4wario:
9. Hizzah :rosalina:
9. Swim4Him :4kirby:
13. Bad :4megaman:
13. Rodan :4bowserjr::4duckhunt:
13. SSP Wero :4falcon:
13. WillWare :4darkpit:
17. Blur
17. SSP Ash :4sheik::4link:

Last edited:

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Huge shoutouts to everyone there.
@ Mr. Fish Mr. Fish for once again being a great TO
@ Bestrin Bestrin for being the hypest ness I know. You and Collin had a real tight set. Any chance you can email that picture of everyone in costume to me?
@-se7en- for one of the closest sets I've ever had, shame it wasn't on stream :'(
@spots for showing me I'm still garbage at the mirror, I hope we get the chance to play again
@ Ponkapa Ponkapa for taking everyone's money in DF's place :)

Any chance we could get a scheduled doubles at the next one?

Edit: also, I'd be happy to pay a $2-5 venue fee in order to get higher quality stream equipment, and if y'all don't want to put an venue fee I'd be happy to pitch in anyway.

Last edited:

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Good tournament again. REALLY SUCKS I had to leave again for work but.... yeah.

1. Ponkapa :yoshi2:: Didn't get to play you this time! I wanted to show off the new tricks
2. Mr. Fish :gw::falco::lucas::fox::falcon::toonlink::ganondorf:: Dude, we really need to play. We NEED to meet up and play sometime! We haven't played since you got back from summer man!!!
4. TxB | Se7en :link2::toonlink:: Good job man!!! Remember the advice I gave you ok?
5. Frosti :falcon:: DUUUUUUUUDE! G FKING G MAN! That was one of the most INTENSE P:M sets I've ever played! Man I'm gonna get you one day! But man, that was a really good set we had!

7 TxB | Ramsaur :ganondorf::mario2::falco::link2:: Good job today man! Too bad you had to leave AGAIN because of work :(

9. Rodan :peach::fox:: Thanks for comin out man!
13. Bad :ivysaur:: lol you suck dude!
13. Hizzah :zelda:: Good job!!!!
13. TxB | eMan :lucario:: Good job man!!
17. Amigo :mario2:: hey man good set! I didn't mean to disrespect you by mario dittoing you on stream! I just wanted to help you learn some new things!!! Hit me up if you see this so I can hook you up with that Mississippi guy!

1. Ponkapa :4yoshi: : YOHSHI IS BROKEN I CAN'T SHIELD GRAB UP SMASH GG RIP 360 NO SCOPE SUPA HOT FIYA AHHH! LOL gg, though. You spanked me in winners and losers :(

5. TxB | Ramsaur :4ganondorf::4gaw:: Dude, for it being like the 3rd time acutally playing smash 3ds you did a DAMN good job! Really proud of how you did for barley EVERY playing smash 4 before!
5. TxB | Se7en :4link::4sheik:: Good job man!!!!

13. Rodan :4bowserjr::4duckhunt:: Dude good games man! I feel good about beating you even though you're salty XD. Ima try to come to your place more though! School has just been heavy :(
13. WillWare :4darkpit:: Good games dude! THanks for coming out to your FIRST tournament :)

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
That was my first time playing Smash 4, and I hate how I have to get a read to kill. I guess Brawl did make me good at Smash after all.

I'll see if I can show up next tourney.

MM me son.

Since everybody else is doing Shoutouts I guess I will.

@ Ponkapa Ponkapa - Your Yoshi never fails to impress. Didn't get to get any games in but maybe next time. Great TO, and congrats for 1st in both games.

@ KinGly KinGly - Amazing Mario, very smart usage of fireballs. I was shaking I was so nervous our 3rd game.

@ TxB | Ramsaur TxB | Ramsaur - I really wanted to see that Ganon, and our Fox and Falco match was so goofy. That Smash 4 G&W is sick.

@Rodan - Didn't get to see much of the Peach, but I'll be sure to play you next time.

@Frosti - Great Falcon. We should have had a Falcon Ditto but maybe next time. I dig those glasses too dude.

@Woots - Amazing Olimar. Absolutely demolished my Sheik. GG's.

@ SSP Trip SSP Trip - That Sheik of yours in Smash 4 is intimidating. I enjoyed the games and if @ Mr. Fish Mr. Fish will let me use his 3DS again I'll play you again.

@ Mr. Fish Mr. Fish - Good Games! Thanks for letting me use your 3DS, I'll pay you next time if I have to. 3DS is pretty fun.

@ Bestrin Bestrin - Insane Ness, those games were so close My hands were sweating.

Last edited:

Mr. Fish

Smash Cadet
Alright, so this coming Saturday there will be a smashfest at the same place as the tourneys. It should start around the same time and last all day. It's gonna be laid back with the main focus on fun and getting better. I'm not sure if i'll be there for a long time since I have finals to take care of. Bring setups so we can maximize the fun, any smash is welcome. I know I'll be bringing melee and PM setups, but I've also been asked if Brawl will be played so we'll have a setup for that as well. Hope to see everyone there, and if you can't make the trek I hope to see you at the next tournament we hold!

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so this coming Saturday there will be a smashfest at the same place as the tourneys. It should start around the same time and last all day. It's gonna be laid back with the main focus on fun and getting better. I'm not sure if i'll be there for a long time since I have finals to take care of. Bring setups so we can maximize the fun, any smash is welcome. I know I'll be bringing melee and PM setups, but I've also been asked if Brawl will be played so we'll have a setup for that as well. Hope to see everyone there, and if you can't make the trek I hope to see you at the next tournament we hold!
Time to bring out all the secondaries
:dedede::falcon::dk2::falco::fox::ganondorf::lucas::marth::gw::ness2::pit::rob::wario::toonlink::yoshi2::wolf::pikachu2::pit::diddy::kirby2::zerosuitsamus::zelda::132:
Get hype!

We'll have a pm setup with us hopefully

Last edited:

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
I'm going to try to attend this one.

@ Mr. Fish Mr. Fish - thanks for letting me use your 3DS. If Smash 4 is one of the events can I use it again? Will pay a few bucks if needed.

Also huge shoutout to everyone for making this event possible. We have some very friendly TO's and a fun event. If it wasn't for the TO's I couldn't attend a tournament to begin with. Thanks for you guys who come and play the game, it's fun to play a lot of different people.

Til' next time~

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to try to attend this one.

@ Mr. Fish Mr. Fish - thanks for letting me use your 3DS. If Smash 4 is one of the events can I use it again? Will pay a few bucks if needed.

Also huge shoutout to everyone for making this event possible. We have some very friendly TO's and a fun event. If it wasn't for the TO's I couldn't attend a tournament to begin with. Thanks for you guys who come and play the game, it's fun to play a lot of different people.

Til' next time~
I'd be happy to lend you mine while I'm there. I've found 3ds to be competitively underwhelming so I'm gonna be sticking mostly to pm anyway.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Sounds good. I don't have a certified Project M Main, but if you want me to play Link again just say the word.

Ponkapa

Smash Cadet
Awwwwh, I can't even respond properly to everyone. But really I love all you guys, you make me want to be a better TO every tournament I get to do. I get some great games in but you guys are really what makes it worth it.

So for the smashfest I would like everyone to bring their best hype and perhaps a few laptops! I want to stream the event, not so much for the sake of streaming as for the sake of practicing commentary. I'd love to see more of you pick up on a commentary game and grow for that faculty (if you are so inclined) and really make this into a bigger, better event. I really believe we can make the community in Northern Louisiana a force to be reckoned with, and I hope to at least start that ball rolling in this year and the next, before I graduate.

Thank you all for coming! Next quarter when we start up again I'll be quicker on reporting, and hopefully will have a custom design for our threads - and be able to do shoutouts to all you wonderful, wonderful smashers.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
I've always wanted to commentate Smash so I'll do it willingly. I want to play to improve in both Project M and Smash 4.

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Awwwwh, I can't even respond properly to everyone. But really I love all you guys, you make me want to be a better TO every tournament I get to do. I get some great games in but you guys are really what makes it worth it.

So for the smashfest I would like everyone to bring their best hype and perhaps a few laptops! I want to stream the event, not so much for the sake of streaming as for the sake of practicing commentary. I'd love to see more of you pick up on a commentary game and grow for that faculty (if you are so inclined) and really make this into a bigger, better event. I really believe we can make the community in Northern Louisiana a force to be reckoned with, and I hope to at least start that ball rolling in this year and the next, before I graduate.

Thank you all for coming! Next quarter when we start up again I'll be quicker on reporting, and hopefully will have a custom design for our threads - and be able to do shoutouts to all you wonderful, wonderful smashers.
Speaking of community, I've been working in a pr based off Elo. I've ranked everyone in one calculator, but the results were a bit messed up (goozvhad top Elo and I ranked above df), I've already found another program that uses challonge brackets so hopefully I'll have something soon :)

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Not quite sure if I can attend this weekend. I'm trying my absolute best because we are doing things different this time.

If I could drive myself I would, but until then..

Mr. Fish

Smash Cadet
I know that Bestrin was thinking about a PR for the tech students, but since we know have non student regulars we should include you guys. I'll talk to him about it and see if he's made any progress!

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Using the Glicko system I came up with a pretty accurate PR. with this system everyone starts off with 800 points and gets more by beating players and loses points by losing to players. Also, with the Glicko system, who you beat is important. For instance, if I were to beat a guy with 1500 points, I would get way more points than if I beat a guy with 600. Same applies for losses.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12YBjtSywgvHHc2PTRoECLO9EiT10P9W3kW6sVZPHMEo/edit?usp=sharing

If anyone has had multiple tags you'll just have to do some guesswork for how good you are overall.

If everyone's happy with this system I could make a post in the regional zones section of smashboards and continue updating it. It's mostly up to the TOs.

Last edited:

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
That sounds like a fair system but rather than basing it off of hundreds of points why not single digits? It feels out of place to give someone more points for beating someone with a large amount of points but that's just my 2 cents.

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
That sounds like a fair system but rather than basing it off of hundreds of points why not single digits? It feels out of place to give someone more points for beating someone with a large amount of points but that's just my 2 cents.
basically it just saves me a lot of time because that's the default. Also, it allows you to see in greater detail where you land in respect to everyone else.

Mr. Fish

Smash Cadet
Getting more points from beating players higher up on the PR is pretty standard. It prevents inflating the rankings of players who just get matched up with lower ranked players.

Mr. Fish

Smash Cadet
does this seem accurate. I wasn't at the first two tournies and haven't met everyone.
Yeah it's pretty spot on. I mean, DF should be at the top but he's not because he's only made one tourney. I'm gunning for that #1 spot, but getting 13th and not playing in a tourney might make it a little difficult.

SSP Trip

Smash Rookie
So has anyone here just been playing Sm4sh? Or are most sticking to PM or the likes? I've been practicing my 2DS to shambles lol. Surprised I haven't broke my analog stick yet! Can't wait for this Saturday and to see everyone's practice show! It sucks that finals are right around the corner. Now's my time to strike lol. Oh yeah and Ponkapa I have my laptop I can bring it's nice and fast. 8 gigs of ram, i7, you know, the works.

Good luck everyone. Get Good and have fun :rotfl:

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
@ SSP Trip SSP Trip - I couldn't reply to your message because SmashBoards is acting strange for me but that's probably because of the slow wifi I have to use at the moment. Yes I will use a 2DS that's a friend's.

Not looking like I can make it this weekend guys, trying my best. Got problems with my lungs and blood pressure as well as dizzy spells when I walk, went to the Doctor today and they told me to not be on my feet that much.

SSP Trip

Smash Rookie
Aw man that sucks. I hope it's not serious. Keep me updated. And don't die lol

Bestrin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4656-9213-2468
Sorry for the silent hiatus guys. Had some personal stuff to deal with that kept away from Smash. Anyway the VoDs are finishing their upload to my YouTube channel. Got 12 recorded matches. For SOME REASON, Frosti vs Ramsaur refuses to upload to Youtube. It is not over the 15 min limit, and has failed to upload 3 times now. Dunno what the deal is but you may have to go to www.twitch.tv/getgoodsmash/profile to watch that one.

Anyways the VoDs are on Youtube here as usual: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_OhPT_7DN4utoJ5bFt-lDg/playlists

@Ramsaur I have your CD.

@se7en good game man. I really regret underestimating you.

@ KinGly KinGly I like the list and the effort! Here is my only input: I think only people who regularly go to the tournaments should be included. No disrespect to Drinkingfood and Sneak (and maybe a few more) but should they be in a "Tech PR" If they've only been to two or three of our ten tournaments? I know they're the best who have come to our tournaments - I'm not trying to argue that point. Opinions?

Also, this: http://imgur.com/gp96P2O

Last edited:

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
@ KinGly KinGly I like the list and the effort! Here is my only input: I think only people who regularly go to the tournaments should be included. No disrespect to Drinkingfood and Sneak (and maybe a few more) but should they be in a "Tech PR" If they've only been to two or three of our ten tournaments? I know they're the best who have come to our tournaments - I'm not trying to argue that point. Opinions?
Yeah, that makes sense. I could set it to require a minimum of two tournaments for now and bring that number up the more tourneys we have. I probably won't be able to do it til tomorrow or Sunday but I'll put a post in the Atlantic south boards.

Bestrin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4656-9213-2468
Yeah, that makes sense. I could set it to require a minimum of two tournaments for now and bring that number up the more tourneys we have. I probably won't be able to do it til tomorrow or Sunday but I'll put a post in the Atlantic south boards.

Does ELO decay? And how far back did you you take results?

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Not going to be able to attend this weekend, I'm kinda at a risk of Pneumonia.

Last edited:

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Well... My jeep just broke down. Collin and I won't be there. Hopefully I'll have it running again by the next one. :'(

Gonna try and get my grandpa to let me borrow a car. There's still hope

Last edited:

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Where are the new results? I like to check even if I don't attend haha

Top Bottom