• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KLPI Bi-Weekly 1

Ponkapa

Smash Cadet
KLPI Bi-Weekly 1, 3/21/2014 at Louisiana Tech
Hey, new TO here, so tell me if I'm missing something.

EDIT: I'll probably be monitoring this thread for awhile, so if you see it and need me to put an alias in or really want me to put your characters in, go ahead and reply. Next time we'll ask for a little more info on the sign up sheet.

Wanting to start a SSB scene in Northern Louisiana, Mr. Fish, MachoMachoMan, and I started bi-weeklies using our positions in our college radio station to host it (hence KLPI). This is our first, and it was a bit rocky, but had a total of:
-30 entrants for Project M
-33 entrants for Brawl

No entry fee, and no prize was awarded - it's on Louisiana Tech's college campus, and legally we're not allowed to have money change hands.

There's no initial thread for this tournament - future bi-weeklies will be posted in the proper thread, now that we've secured a decent turnout.

I forgot to mark mains at the beginning, so a couple may be edited in as I get info from players.

We adhered to Apex 2014's ruleset.
Top 8 Brawl:
1. Gunner:pikachu2::zerosuitsamus::falcon::falco:
2. Okuser:metaknight::snake:
3. TxB Ramsaur:pikachu2::metaknight::falco:
4. Ponkapa:yoshi2:
5. Janaqin:wolf:
5. TxB Eman:gw::lucario:
7. BirdyBirds (Stephan Hibburd):lucas:
7. Jarrot Karger ???
9: Ryan Firmin
9: Brian Blakeley
9: Kaelan Woodman
9: Jordan Robinson
13: Ron
13: Chris Milanowski
13: Alec
13: Matt Condon
17. Swim4Him (Scott, forgot to change)
17: Christopher Rhorze
17: James Miltemberger
17: Logan Smith
17: Andrew Dove
17: Max Woods
17: Alex Woodward
17: David Booth
25: Silver
25: Walter Miltabaser
25: Rhett Lee
25: Jon Blackwell
25: Patrich
25: Bray Hudson
25: Chase Johnson
25: Adrian Guzman
33: Scott Hunter

Top 8 Project M:
1. Fax:wario::bowser2:
2. Ponkapa:yoshi2:
3. Gunner:marth::falco:
4. MachoMachoMan:sheik::samus2:
5. Nathan Benton:sheilda::mario2:
5. Brett Olivier:ness2::luigi2:
7. TxB Ramsaur:ganondorf:
7. Woots :lucas::dk2:
9. Swim4Him (Scott, forgot to change)
9: Chris Milanowski
9: Christopher Rhorze
9: Janaqin
13: Ron
13: Matt Condon
13: Silver
13: BirdyBirds (Stephan Hibburd)
17: Adrian Guzman
17: Jordan Robinson
17: Joseph Hardy
17: Zachery Behrey
17: David Booth
17: Patrich
17: Jarrot Karger
17: Ryan Firmin
25: Jay Enlman
25: Garrett Dariz
25: Bray Hudson
25: Andrew Dove
25: Alec
25: Tyler Bessette

Last edited:

Bestrin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4656-9213-2468
It was well run for a first tournament! Can't wait till we get a larger venue! I'm glad that Tech may start to develop more of a Smash scene.

-Brett

Ponkapa

Smash Cadet
Actually, we were planning to host it at a better venue this time! We even got all the paperwork and everything, but there was some orientation thing going on there and we didn't want to have to kick them out. Next time it'll be held in the Kennel, below the bookstore!

Murdok

Smash Cadet
So how often will these tourneys be held I have a couple of pm players from Monroe who would come out

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Shoutouts

Gunner: Thanks for showing up. It was fun!

Okuser: You're a ***** for not Gannon dittoing me

Ponkapa: GGs. I can read your Yoshi like a book now dude...lol I was so proud of beating it with my Wario. This tournament was great and the seeding was perfect. Me, Gunner, Taylor, and Eman were all spread out perfectly!

Eman: GG. Camping always works lol

Birdy: Gotta keep practiceing man. Good job though!

Chris: Sucks you left early. I think you would have made top 8 if you had stayed. Bring your own controller next time so you don't have to use mine lol.

Fax: Dude there was no way I could get back on stage! You would just down B and no matter what I did I was screwed! If I airdodged back on I would take Landing lag and you would punish that. If I tried to Fair or something like that, your super armor would just eat it and I'd get hit. GGs. I need to get better at P:M haha!

MachoMachoman: I was feeling a comeback on game 3 but I am still upset I LRABSTART when I had another stock left ughhh. Our games were freaking great though! The best P:M set I've ever played and it was too fun! GGs man.

Ummmm shoutouts to that guy that Gunner JV 4 stocked in brawl using random lol.

Shoutouts to that kid I destroyed in brawl after I lost P:M and I took that anger out on him. Chain grabbed his wolf from 0-death every time and got mad at him when he tried to tell me chain grabs are illegal. If you're reading this I apologize. I was still very salty about LRABSTARTing a really good P:M set

Ramsaur: lol brawl was 100% everything expected

You did good in P:M! Gotta work more on approaches. Everything else was good though. Barley ever missed an L cancel and the wave lands were on point! You looked like a little Kage out there! Try to do better next time!

Ponkapa

Smash Cadet
So how often will these tourneys be held I have a couple of pm players from Monroe who would come out
Since they're bi-weeklies, they're every two weeks, from now on hosted on Saturdays. The next one should be April 5th. I'd love to see more people out there!
go ahead and change/add 'BirdyBirds' to my name. 'Stephan Hibbard'.
Got it dude! Thanks for coming out. Next time MachoMachoMan needs to print out a sheet that includes aliases because otherwise I'm left just spitballin'
Ponkapa: GGs. I can read your Yoshi like a book now dude...lol I was so proud of beating it with my Wario. This tournament was great and the seeding was perfect. Me, Gunner, Taylor, and Eman were all spread out perfectly!
Well, that's random seeding at work right there, but thanks! I'll have to make sure I don't regrab early with Yoshi anymore. We'll see what happens next tourney, eh?

BirdyBirds

Smash Cadet
Shoutouts:

Ponkapa: knocked me out of Brawl and P:M, was fun.

Ram: fun being there with you and playing... and thanks for driving me to waffle house with E-Man hanging off the back of your car for the first part of the ride.

Gunner: i took one round from Gun on P:M, cool guy.

That guy that got 5 bye's in a row because only his opponents left the scene before his matches: lol

Ponkapa

Smash Cadet
Yo I actually used to go to tech and whoop everyone not named Okuser. Is one of the radio peeps still Lod?
Lod? Not ringing a bell, sorry, but maybe I just don't know who you're referring to. How long ago are you speaking?

Rodan

Smash Rookie
I plan on going to the next one of these. Excited for a tournament that is within a reasonable distance. Also, I can bring a Wii, a copy of brawl, and maybe a tv for an extra setup.

Last edited:

Ponkapa

Smash Cadet
Lod was there like 3 years ago. Lod hayes
This is my second year here, and I'm all the way from California before that, so I'm afraid I don't know him. Perhaps someone else around the station knows him, though! Think you might want to come through? :]

I plan on going to the next one of these. Excited for a tournament that is within a reasonable distance. Also, I can bring a Wii, a copy of brawl, and maybe a tv for an extra setup.
You are a wonderful person <3. Again, April 5th is the planned date!

Ponkapa

Smash Cadet
Shoutouts:

That guy that got 5 bye's in a row because only his opponents left the scene before his matches: lol
Lol I think a lot of people learned that if you just stay, you go up in rankings! One of my friends didn't win any match yet got like 9th because he stayed the entire time.

Machomachoman

Smash Rookie
I know Lod! Cool guy.

Might as well do shoutouts

Shoutouts:

That Mario guy:
Knocked me out first round before I realized that my controller was malfunctioning hard and I wasn't just choking so that I could power through losers.

That first guy I faced in losers:
Poor guy had to face the wrath of a working controller

Ramsaur:
Those were some intense games, and that was the saltiest finish I've seen

Bestrin's friend:
That shiek mirror match was intense and hilarious. Looking forward to it again.

Ponkapa:
That comeback was real. You finally got a read on me, and now I need to figure something out again. It was good running the tourney with you.

Last edited:

Ponkapa

Smash Cadet
I know Lod! Cool guy.
Ponkapa:
That comeback was real. You finally got a read on me, and now I need to figure something out again. It was good running the tourney with you.
Thanks dude. The matches with you and Fax were making me sweat a ton, they were so crazy. I'm glad you came up with the idea for the tourney and I'm glad to be working with you on it.

Emanxlr8r

Smash Rookie
This tournament was quite hype tbh.
Shootouts:

Jana: our friendly ditto matches were fun but how did u get 5th?????

Black Chris: that Mario and his spot dodges always give me a run for my money. Stay the whole tournament next time;)

That one guy that got jv4 stocked by gunner on his warm up swag: thanks for bein a good sport!

Taylor: yeah I wanted to to go to the losers bracket anyway. GG

Ramsaur: how bout that 3/5 for no reason? You played great, but u know I coulda had u if I didn't literally hand u the first 2 matches ;)

That guy Ramsaur played all salty and made him quit smash bros for life: theres always Mario carts

Ponkapa: Y WE NO MEET IN TOURNAMENT? I'll have to play u for real some time

Txb swag

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
I would totally come through if I hadn't promised my mom not to tournament until this semester is over. I'm calling it now, my friend DF, Aka drinking food, aka Daniel will take first at every pm event

Last edited:

Gooz

Smash Rookie
Ponkapa im glad I kept pestering you everytime I saw you to get some tourneys goin. Still need to play you in pm, brawl is like a foreign language to me now haha

Mr. Fish

Smash Cadet
Good showing by everyone I'm glad we had a big turnout! Next tournament I hope my opponents stay so I can actually fight them and not make it deep into the bracket on byes. Next tournament will be bigger and better and i'll try to keep it organized!

Ezuka

Smash Rookie
Thanks for doing these tournaments, guys. I had a lot of fun. Wish I could have done some more matches that weren't part of the tournament to get a little practice in Project M since I my first match of the tournament was my first game in weeks.
I think if I get to play more regularly and break some of my bad habits, I could stand to win one of the tournaments. Or not. I still had fun playing against everyone I played. That Zelda vs Zelda match I did was intense, and I really enjoyed seeing someone play Sheik well since my attempts at him are disappointing. I learned a bit.

To Ramsaur: Sincere apology, dood. Definitely feels heartfelt what with the bragging and all. These tournaments offer no prize, and while they are competitive, having fun and being a good sport is part of the experience. If you want to quit mid match against someone who is clearly better than you in Project M, go ahead, but when you're in the losers' bracket in Brawl against someone you're clearly better than who is actually sticking through the match, you could maybe try not being so abrasive and humor the match a bit. I too was disappointed in my close loss in P:M, but I still tried to enjoy the remainder of my matches.

To Emanxlr8r: You literally handed him the matches, did you? You'll have to show me how to do that some time.
Kidding aside, it didn't take getting stomped for me to quit Brawl for life; it took playing Brawl for me to quit Brawl for life. Mario Kart is about like Brawl in its approach. A casual game with a competitive nature. Just like Brawl pros abuse game mechanics to do well, so do Mario Kart players. I am, however, equally terrible at Mario Kart as I am at Brawl.

Disclaimer: Ramsaur beating me wasn't just due to me being bad at Brawl. He's actually good at the game. Not trying to diminish the guy's skill.

Last edited:

Murdok

Smash Cadet
I know its like 2 weeks away , so I'm sorry if this question is a little early (just hyped for a local PM tourney). What time of day are you guys looking to hold this? Look forward to playing against you guys, might even play some Brawl for fun. We can bring a couple PM set ups too if needed.

Mr. Fish

Smash Cadet
Looks like there's enough salt on here already, might need to get a salty suite organized for the next tourney!

Also, I talked to Bestrin and he has input splitters and I heard something about capture cards. So we can try an arrange recording some matches and at the very least attempt to hook up a setup to a projector for the crowd to watch.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Yo @ Murdok Murdok , totally go to the next one because I will too, looking forward to seeing your Link progress (unless you picked up someone else!)

@ Ponkapa Ponkapa you guys should totally just take 3-5 dollars entry fee under the table. Even if Tech doesn't want you to, I'm pretty confident that kind of thing is not illegal at all.

Alternatively, I could just handle the money, so you could just tell all the entrants there's nothing illegal about handing money to a non-student. And if the school authorities come a'knockin' you can just blame me and be all like "H-he bullied us all into paying an entry fee...!"
lol

Last edited:

LittleFoxBot

Smash Rookie
Fax reporting in, can't wait for next tourney. I won't be abusing Bowser and Wario butts next time, I promise.

Ponkapa

Smash Cadet
Ponkapa im glad I kept pestering you everytime I saw you to get some tourneys goin. Still need to play you in pm, brawl is like a foreign language to me now haha
Definitely. It'll be fun!
Also, I'm super glad everyone conspired to make me into a TO. I'm enjoying it way more than I thought I would!

Thanks for doing these tournaments, guys. I had a lot of fun. Wish I could have done some more matches that weren't part of the tournament to get a little practice in Project M since I my first match of the tournament was my first game in weeks.
I think if I get to play more regularly and break some of my bad habits, I could stand to win one of the tournaments. Or not. I still had fun playing against everyone I played. That Zelda vs Zelda match I did was intense, and I really enjoyed seeing someone play Sheik well since my attempts at him are disappointing. I learned a bit.

To Ramsaur: Sincere apology, dood. Definitely feels heartfelt what with the bragging and all. These tournaments offer no prize, and while they are competitive, having fun and being a good sport is part of the experience. If you want to quit mid match against someone who is clearly better than you in Project M, go ahead, but when you're in the losers' bracket in Brawl against someone you're clearly better than who is actually sticking through the match, you could maybe try not being so abrasive and humor the match a bit. I too was disappointed in my close loss in P:M, but I still tried to enjoy the remainder of my matches.

To Emanxlr8r: You literally handed him the matches, did you? You'll have to show me how to do that some time.
Kidding aside, it didn't take getting stomped for me to quit Brawl for life; it took playing Brawl for me to quit Brawl for life. Mario Kart is about like Brawl in its approach. A casual game with a competitive nature. Just like Brawl pros abuse game mechanics to do well, so do Mario Kart players. I am, however, equally terrible at Mario Kart as I am at Brawl.

Disclaimer: Ramsaur beating me wasn't just due to me being bad at Brawl. He's actually good at the game. Not trying to diminish the guy's skill.
Thanks for this post (really, really thanks.) Also, we're still working out details on how exactly to organize these tournaments optimally! In a few more, we'll definitely have it better, and better. Next time hopefully we'll have a couple extra setups that can be used for friendlies longer :]. I'm glad you had fun! I hope you keep coming, you're a great addition to our scene.

Also, is Ezuka your alias? I heard from Ramsaur that you were "Okuser" so I put it as that.

I know its like 2 weeks away , so I'm sorry if this question is a little early (just hyped for a local PM tourney). What time of day are you guys looking to hold this? Look forward to playing against you guys, might even play some Brawl for fun. We can bring a couple PM set ups too if needed.
Well, I'm glad you asked! More information will be posted later on this (official tournament threads and all), but our current schedule is setup at 11am, registration till 12:50, and tournament starting at 1pm.
We just secured the venue - it'll be hosted in the Kennel (below the Barnes and Nobles bookstore) - a MUCH bigger venue and much better! I'm excited to break it in.
Please do bring whatever setups you can!
I wish I could comp for setups but since there's no entry fee, etc, it'd be kind of hard to do so. I hope you can make it out!

Again: 11am-12:50pm registration, Tournament starts sharply at 1pm. April 5th, 2014 is the date, mark it down!

Yo @ Murdok Murdok , totally go to the next one because I will too, looking forward to seeing your Link progress (unless you picked up someone else!)

@ Ponkapa Ponkapa you guys should totally just take 3-5 dollars entry fee under the table. Even if Tech doesn't want you to, I'm pretty confident that kind of thing is not illegal at all.

Alternatively, I could just handle the money, so you could just tell all the entrants there's nothing illegal about handing money to a non-student. And if the school authorities come a'knockin' you can just blame me and be all like "H-he bullied us all into paying an entry fee...!"
lol
For now, my official stance is we will have -no- entry fee. This protects us as students, tournament organizers, and representatives of our organization (this is technically a promotional tournament to promote our radio station KLPI!). MachoMachoMan and I are interested in a prize pot, yes - but if we're told no, we will have to stay with no. We're currently looking into a legal way to arrange a money pot through Tech - we might be able to arrange an entry fee eventually, but there's way too much at stake - and way too many repercussions - should we allow something like this to go through.

Whether or not this is "illegal" by the laws of the state, etc - I have no idea. But I'm still under a different set of rules as a member of the school and a representative!

So, sorry, no. As much as I appreciate someone willing to take the blame :p

Whew, long post. *takes a breath*

Looks like there's enough salt on here already, might need to get a salty suite organized for the next tourney!

Also, I talked to Bestrin and he has input splitters and I heard something about capture cards. So we can try an arrange recording some matches and at the very least attempt to hook up a setup to a projector for the crowd to watch.
Capture cards would be great. Unfortunately my Dazzle is at home in Cali :[. Also I don't have a capture rig!
The projector is a brilliant idea! Get that hype for the big matches! :]

Alright, I think I answered pretty much everyone. Love you all, see you next tourney, and keep on chatting!

Ezuka

Smash Rookie
Ponkapa said:
Thanks for this post (really, really thanks.) Also, we're still working out details on how exactly to organize these tournaments optimally! In a few more, we'll definitely have it better, and better. Next time hopefully we'll have a couple extra setups that can be used for friendlies longer :]. I'm glad you had fun! I hope you keep coming, you're a great addition to our scene.

Also, is Ezuka your alias? I heard from Ramsaur that you were "Okuser" so I put it as that.
I'm in the process of trying to get my Wii to work, and I could likely bring a TV, so maybe I'll be able to help with this. My Wii's disc drive is a bit uncooperative though, so I'm not sure if I'll ever get it to work without buzzing and freezing.

And yeah, my alias has always been Ezuka. Assuming you realize I'm Jordan. Not sure where the name Okuser came from; never heard that before. I also use Warf when I play smash brothers, but that's more of a silly mispronunciation of Wolf rather than an alias.

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
Dude bowser ivy is sex but we should try ivy rob too. They won't be able to handle the amount of gay our team will be. Also I can see rob up air and ivy said back air wombo combo happening

Murdok

Smash Cadet
Ivy is no fun...got straight 2 stocked by Denti in tourney at Wintercon. That bair is broken...

Rodan

Smash Rookie
@ DrinkingFood DrinkingFood sweet! I only played Brawl at wintercon so I don't get to play with any of the P:M/Melee people, but I look forward to your challenge. I will probably be playing Falco, but who knows, I play like five different characters in P:M.

Speaking of teams, is there any way to get a doubles side-tournament going? P:M especially has really fun doubles.

Top Bottom