• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Kirby's Pondering Curse - Kirby Q&A/FAQ/Directory [CHECK HERE BEFORE MAKING A NEW THREAD]

Zoidberg747

Smash Rookie
What are Kirby's kill moves? I got a Lucina to above 150% and tried Up throw, nair, uair, dash and forward throw. I know most of the smashes would KO but is there anything else?

P.S. I dont believe any of the moves got stale, as I usually try and mix it up. I may have hit some sour spots too, am still familiarizing myself with the game overall.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
What are Kirby's kill moves? I got a Lucina to above 150% and tried Up throw, nair, uair, dash and forward throw. I know most of the smashes would KO but is there anything else?

P.S. I dont believe any of the moves got stale, as I usually try and mix it up. I may have hit some sour spots too, am still familiarizing myself with the game overall.
Back air can KO, especially when used to edgeguard. Down air is a good KO move, since you can gimp with it to great effect. Back throw will KO at very high percents. Up throw can, too, but at even higher percents.
Stone can definitely KO if you use it right.

So your main KO moves are:
- All smashes
- Back air
- Down air
- Other aerials if you gimp with them
- Pretty much any move you can edgeguard effectively with
- Stone

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3

Dair to any smash is very effective if you can land it, and land it correctly.
Also, srry for no quotes. Triple R ty for your answer it was most helpful but I will test the platform stone again, I am sure I did not go through the platform.

Last edited:

Zoidberg747

Smash Rookie
What are the ways Kirby mains use to approach a zoning opponent? Personally I tend to try and stay in the air a lot and use nair, fair and bair, maybe a fast fall dair if I can get away with it. Against certain opponents with good anti-airs this strategy isnt as efective though, so I'm trying to get some more ideas.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Approach them with jumps (no aerials) if you have to. They'll have to shield because of the threat of an aerial, and that's when you can get a grab. If they keep rolling to the edge of the stage, eventually they'll have to go through you to get back to the center stage, so that's when you try to anticipate their roll into you and punish. Spacing Bairs is effective if you space very carefully against certain characters. Dair is dangerous because they can shield the whole thing then grab you, but if you can drill through their shield and land behind them, that can be a pretty good crossup. Kirby's aerials are generally unsafe on shield, but one small bonus is that he often has a "crouching" landing animation, making his landings hard to punish, at least for taller characters.

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Are Kirby's copy abilities generally better than whoever he copies from (i.e. in Brawl, Kirby could get lasers out quicker than Falco could)?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Are Kirby's copy abilities generally better than whoever he copies from (i.e. in Brawl, Kirby could get lasers out quicker than Falco could)?
How good Copy is in relation to the copied opponent's ability is different on a character-by-character basis.

Also, who told you (Brawl) Kirby's blaster was 'quicker' than Falco's? As far as I know, it's not inherently any better than Falco's. Kirby's descent was slower than Falco's (floaty vs fast-faller), which would allow for more time to shoot his baster out of a jump.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
They're generally exactly the same. Notable differences are:

He still has the "pre-nerf" version of Sheik's Needles, they have a tiny bit less endlag.
Olimar/Alph Pikmin are all "solid" projectiles, they don't latch. They also go through Olimar/Alph's pikmin, so Kirby's ability is unquestionably better in the matchup.
Rosalina's Luma loses to Kirby's Luma.
Everything else I believe is "exactly the same," or as exact as it can be, considering that Kirby is a smaller character than most of the people he copies. Oh, actually I think the way Jigglypuff's Rollout works is a bit different for Kirby... it doesn't kill him if he bounces into someone offstage with it... or something... I forgot, who cares the ability sucks.

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
They're generally exactly the same. Notable differences are:

He still has the "pre-nerf" version of Sheik's Needles, they have a tiny bit less endlag.
Olimar/Alph Pikmin are all "solid" projectiles, they don't latch. They also go through Olimar/Alph's pikmin, so Kirby's ability is unquestionably better in the matchup.
Rosalina's Luma loses to Kirby's Luma.
Everything else I believe is "exactly the same," or as exact as it can be, considering that Kirby is a smaller character than most of the people he copies. Oh, actually I think the way Jigglypuff's Rollout works is a bit different for Kirby... it doesn't kill him if he bounces into someone offstage with it... or something... I forgot, who cares the ability sucks.
kirby's sword stab ability gained from lucina or marth has less range than marth's and lucina's

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I tested it with @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima a couple weeks ago, and we couldn't replicate it. Are you sure your WiiU wasn't hacked, or you didn't buy a pirated copy of the game? :p

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I don't know how you couldn't replicate it, considering when @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima and I kept testing it. We were able to make it happen consistently.

My Wii U hasn't been hacked, and my copy isn't pirated. Are you sure you two weren't doing something wrong?

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I don't know if this has already been asked but:

What move(s) are safe on shield if spaced properly?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Bair seems to be! Against many characters, at least.
As for the rest of the moves.... uhhh maaaaybe nair if you pull back really far? None of his ground moves are safe on shield except maybe a quick jab.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Bair seems to be! Against many characters, at least.
As for the rest of the moves.... uhhh maaaaybe nair if you pull back really far? None of his ground moves are safe on shield except maybe a quick jab.
I see. How about Fair and pull back on the second hit?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
@asidoh, so I spoke to @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima , he said you were remembering wrong and that you two DID replicate it.
Huh. I just tried it in training mode and it's true, jumping inhale = sticking pikmin, default inhale = godlike pikmin.
I do remember there was one match we tried it with Jumping Inhale and we did NOT get the sticking pikmin so we were confused.
I don't like this glitch because Jumping Inhale is good but the sticking pikmin aren't as good :( unless they still beat olimar's pikmin, which I doubt.

I see. How about Fair and pull back on the second hit?
Uhhh maybe. It also depends on what character you're facing, Ganondorf for example will have trouble punishing certain things, while Sonic or Sheik can punish all sorts of stuff!

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
So like you said - It is character dependent. Okay, I will test some things out and see what I can discover. Thank you for the assistance.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
by the way guys this is a thing in case you haven't seen it http://smashboards.com/threads/frame-cancel.386639/
I'm in training mode right now and I can confirm that Bair->Uptilt becomes a true 2 hit combo if you time it perfectly (tested on a Sonic at 0%)
If you do it too early it doesn't combo, if you do it too late the bair will look like it comes out but have no actual hitbox. The timing is hard, but maybe it's useful? If it actually works on shields then it definitely could be.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
by the way guys this is a thing in case you haven't seen it http://smashboards.com/threads/frame-cancel.386639/
I'm in training mode right now and I can confirm that Bair->Uptilt becomes a true 2 hit combo if you time it perfectly (tested on a Sonic at 0%)
If you do it too early it doesn't combo, if you do it too late the bair will look like it comes out but have no actual hitbox. The timing is hard, but maybe it's useful? If it actually works on shields then it definitely could be.
If it works on shields, due to our incredibly low crouch, we'd be able to avoid almost every Sheild Grab. Seems like it'd be useful.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Yeah, I was lurking in the thread and wondering if Kirby can use this. Gheb1 states it works with all Aerial Attacks but it is easier/noticeable with Hit Lag ones. I wonder if this works with Special Moves.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
So do any of y'all think people will start running custom tournaments after apex?
As TOs realize that custom tournaments are not at all impossible, I think we'll start seeing more of them. Especially when Apex is over and people don't feel as bound to their current ruleset anymore.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
Can Kirby's nair clash and stop with Sheik's needles and Megamans crash bomber and metal blade?

Also, which aerial has the most lag, dair bair or fair

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Can Kirby's nair clash and stop with Sheik's needles
No!
and Megamans crash bomber and metal blade?
Yes to both
Also, which aerial has the most lag, dair bair or fair
I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure
1. Dair is the laggiest
2. Fair
3. Bair
4. Nair/Upair

That's just a rough guess. If you space poorly and hit an opponent's shield and land with the landing lag of the move, you'll get punished with any of them.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
No!
Yes to both
I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure
1. Dair is the laggiest
2. Fair
3. Bair
4. Nair/Upair

That's just a rough guess. If you space poorly and hit an opponent's shield and land with the landing lag of the move, you'll get punished with any of them.
Ill take your word!
I've always spammed dair most of the times with shorthopping, but wait, what are Kirbys approaches? His dash is too broad, laggy, and punishable, and all of his aerials can get punished badly, also, thanks!

Nickname87

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nickname8877
Ill take your word!
I've always spammed dair most of the times with shorthopping, but wait, what are Kirbys approaches? His dash is too broad, laggy, and punishable, and all of his aerials can get punished badly, also, thanks!
I find myself approaching with running shielding and grabbing into a f throw into f air into another grabbing whatever you want

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Kirby's approaches are pretty poor. Basically what Nickname87 said. Running at your opponent and then reacting to their reaction is your best bet. You can run towards them and then roll back, if they got baited into using a laggy move (like Fsmash) in response, you may be able to run up to them again and punish. Run up to them, shield their attack, then grab or attack. Run up to them, spotdodge their attack. In the air, landing with a perfectly spaced Bair often makes you hard to punish, but some characters can punish anyway. If your opponent is cornered near the edge, you can float above them and respond to their moves, they might throw out an attack in the hopes of hitting you as you land, or they might roll away from the edge, in which case you can land and hit them with whatever.

Uhh but yeah. Approaching an opponent is possible, but requires you to outplay them to get in, most of the time. Against certain characters, it's better for Kirby to play defensive and force them to approach. This is something I need to do more myself, because I like to be aggressive all the time... which really isn't good because it helps me lose.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
Kirby's approaches are pretty poor. Basically what Nickname87 said. Running at your opponent and then reacting to their reaction is your best bet. You can run towards them and then roll back, if they got baited into using a laggy move (like Fsmash) in response, you may be able to run up to them again and punish. Run up to them, shield their attack, then grab or attack. Run up to them, spotdodge their attack. In the air, landing with a perfectly spaced Bair often makes you hard to punish, but some characters can punish anyway. If your opponent is cornered near the edge, you can float above them and respond to their moves, they might throw out an attack in the hopes of hitting you as you land, or they might roll away from the edge, in which case you can land and hit them with whatever.

Uhh but yeah. Approaching an opponent is possible, but requires you to outplay them to get in, most of the time. Against certain characters, it's better for Kirby to play defensive and force them to approach. This is something I need to do more myself, because I like to be aggressive all the time... which really isn't good because it helps me lose.
Yea, me too, just think of going up against a good Pikachu user, almost hard to get a hit on him mostly due to how Pikachu's attacks are faster than Kirby's and that its very hard to grab a Pikachu with a Kirby most of the time, actually, all fast characters, Sonic, Sheik, since they all react faster than yourself.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Pikachu is weird too. You know how Kirby has a nice low crouch, so he can crouch under attacks by taller characters sometimes? I feel like Pikachu has a similar advantage, but it works on all characters. I swear the way his body moves (and Sheik too sometimes) makes your attacks whiff when normally they would hit. Kinda like how if Diddy Kong does an Fsmash, it makes him hop in the air a bit so he'll go right over your Dtilt.

I'm scared, I haven't played against a good Pikachu player offline, and I know I'll get wrecked as soon as I do. I have no experience in the matchup and he's just a scary character D:

Do note though, Kirby's tilts are a bit faster than Pikachu's, and their smashes are about the same speed! It's the aerials you have to watch out for, and the thunderjolts and thunders and quick attacks :x

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
Pikachu is weird too. You know how Kirby has a nice low crouch, so he can crouch under attacks by taller characters sometimes? I feel like Pikachu has a similar advantage, but it works on all characters. I swear the way his body moves (and Sheik too sometimes) makes your attacks whiff when normally they would hit. Kinda like how if Diddy Kong does an Fsmash, it makes him hop in the air a bit so he'll go right over your Dtilt.

I'm scared, I haven't played against a good Pikachu player offline, and I know I'll get wrecked as soon as I do. I have no experience in the matchup and he's just a scary character D:

Do note though, Kirby's tilts are a bit faster than Pikachu's, and their smashes are about the same speed! It's the aerials you have to watch out for, and the thunderjolts and thunders and quick attacks :x
I know how you feel, going up against a crazy character like Pikachu who can spam projectiles and keep you out, I also main a Meta Knight, MK is more non known of his moveset, like how everyone thinks your going to approach, when you then DC and hit them while they're charging up a projectile, this works on any character, not to mention his tornado can rack up 22% in one tornado if you mashed it comepletely, and that's hard to get out of, it even breaks some shields, but then again MK's worst nightmare is Sonic, since MK's moveset is all with lag at the end, and a huge bunch of it, Sonic can easily take him out, but then again, Kirby can take Sonic out better... I hate SSB4 logic, like:
Villager does bad against most characters like Sonic
Bowser Jr can beat a Sonic real easy
but then Bowser Jr loses to Villager easily.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Hi, scouting things out

Does kirby have a thread for frame data and not just move set information?

Mark Jackson

Smash Rookie
New to Smash but played a little bit of Kirby. Hope I can get some help used to play Street Fighter, but wanted something new hope everyone has a good day. :)

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Okay, weird question not relating to Kirby first, but do we have a Skype group? I hear most boards from most games do. Just curious.

More importantly, though, how does everyone see Kirbyciding in this game? It's traditionally been unreliable, but once P:M came out it's been a major topic. I've gotten successful Kirbycides in Smash 4, but I'm unsure if it's because I made good reads or people aren't used to playing against Kirby.

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
More importantly, though, how does everyone see Kirbyciding in this game?
Is your opponent a bad Little Mac? otherwise, Kirbicide is nigh useless in this game. Grab armor is gone, Inhale is laggy, and everyone bar Mac, Doc, and Ganon have amazing recovery. You have a higher chance of getting yourself killed since your opponent can footstool you offstage in the resulting scramble to the ledge.

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Is your opponent a bad Little Mac? otherwise, Kirbicide is nigh useless in this game. Grab armor is gone, Inhale is laggy, and everyone bar Mac, Doc, and Ganon have amazing recovery. You have a higher chance of getting yourself killed since your opponent can footstool you offstage in the resulting scramble to the ledge.
Not kidding, perfect response.

But no, my opponents are actually good. Most of the time when I get one, it's very situational. And it isn't advantageous for me, we both usually lose the stock, rather than just them. Was hoping it would have a more practical use, oh well. Thanks for the response nonetheless~

Last edited:

FranktheKirby

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3823-8756-2059
So I have a question that I haven't been able to find the answer to. How does one defeat Sonic as Kirby? His speed and priority are just so godly that I find myself getting outplayed no matter what approach I take against really good Sonic players.

Top Bottom