• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's New Moves

Jededi4h

Smash Cadet
Since Kirby is suspiciously absent from E for all we're left to mostly guess about what changes they've made to him from Melee.

Fortunately we're not completely without new Kirby info!

Kirby is featured in three of the brand new Subspace Emissary videos, and in them we can see one of his moves has been changed and another changed into something brand new!

Dash Attack: It looks like the much maligned fireball is gone. In the SSE video of Peach and Kirby we see Kirby run and then launch himself into an upside down spin kick. From the movement it seems like it has to be his new Dash attack.

Forward B (in the air): In the second of the SSE videos released on Friday we see Kirby fighting Petey. Kirby jumps up and pulls out his hammer, but instead of spinning it all around him, like he did in Melee, he does a quick horizontal strike.

It's so fast he manages to get two off before he lands!

So thoughts on these new(ish) moves?

Will they finally fix Kirby?

paralasalud

Smash Ace
kirby looks awesome again. just because of that dash attack i want to main him lol.
i really hope he swings his hammer down when he's on the ground

Chepe

Smash Lord
Yeah, I mentioned these in the "Delayed Kirby moves" thread. Someone says that we see Kirby use the dash fireball in another vid though, which I have yet to see...

Anyway, these two move changes do look much better than their Melee versions. The Break Spin dash attack is from Kirby Super Star, Yoyo Kirby uses it as his dash attack (I love how Smash commands are so very similar to Kirby Super Star commands for moves). And the Hammer is Hammer Kirby's dash attack but they just made it an air attack here. Since it has only two hits, we can guess that they will be fairly powerful...

Percon

Smash Lord
Yeah, he swung the hammer in *gasp* TWO directions!

Looks like his fair is the same, though... which really kills me. I HATE his triple kick.

This may be slightly off topic, but do you think we could discuss new uses for his old moves? Since, you know, we're a BIT short on old moves...

Does nobody notice that we haven't seen kirby swallow anyone yet? Odd... I really want to see old and new costumes. And maybe since there are multiple taunts, we can taunt without losing your copy ability.

Also... I think Kirby would do really well in Norfair. When the huge wave comes from the back of the screen, kirby can go all out to keep the other player away from the shelter, then right before the wave hits he can use his vB to shield himself, while the other guy gets pummeled.

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
It looks like kirby's attacks have less lag time and it seems like kirby is heavyer.
Personally it looked to me like kirby and mario were an even matchup.

He definatly seemed alot better, I woulnt be suprized if he was just as good as Mario and Meta knight.
I will definatly be playing as kirby again from what ive seen.

Icy_Eagle

Smash Journeyman
One interesting thing regarding kirby's aerial hammer, in the first trailer he uses his aerial hammer like it worked in melee. I wonder if it just changed during development or that it can be used in two different ways in the air

paralasalud

Smash Ace
One interesting thing regarding kirby's aerial hammer, in the first trailer he uses his aerial hammer like it worked in melee. I wonder if it just changed during development or that it can be used in two different ways in the air
if so then it's probably a difference between tilting and smashing. tilt is probably the spinning hammer.

Jededi4h

Smash Cadet
Does nobody notice that we haven't seen Kirby swallow anyone yet? Odd... I really want to see old and new costumes..

It is odd... in the new SSE vids Kirby actually sucks Mario in, but immediately spits him out instead of absorbing his powers.

I'm hoping that Sakurai has completely revamped the way Kirby's B move works, not only for the copy ability but also by giving it new uses.

If they were to make it truer to the Kirby games he should be able to eat all sorts of things and spit out stars as a projectile.

Silent_Hill_Crossing

Smash Apprentice
I've noticed they've been adding a lot of the ability attacks that were in a few amount of games:

-Yo-Yo Spin

-Hammer

I wouldn't be suprised if they added Heart Kirby and such.

One of the reasons I'm inclined to believe they haven't been showing his "Kirby Hats" is possibly they are working on new ways to implement them, or add a few other possible attacks to how it works. Such as adding a few % damage point for being DK Kirby.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
Well there were many reasons why he sucked so much in melee. First he had terrible air control, Ineffective B moves (too slow or just crappy), slow smash attacks which were also very weak, little range, grabs that you get out of, he was easy to combo and very light (basically he was easy to kill), crappy dash attack, and terrible running speed.

From what I saw, he definitely has better air control (but so does everyone else), His B moves look alot more effective (faster and stronger), , his attacks were much faster and probably a bit stronger, I saw the > grab but I don't know if you can get out of it in the middle (although I doubt it), his dash attack looks like it was changed so yeay.

He still looks like hes running a bit slow though... I don't know if hes heavier or if he would still be easy to combo so we will have to see.

So yea in all it looks like Kirby will be alot better.

Silent_Hill_Crossing

Smash Apprentice
He still looks like hes running a bit slow though... I don't know if hes heavier or if he would still be easy to combo so we will have to see.
I'm guessing that is a possibility due to his extra "jumps"/ "Air hops" which would make sense. Nice observation.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Based on Pikachu's upgrades (read: reverts to 64 era timing), my guess is that Sakurai and co. decided 64 was a better time for some cast (Ness/Lucas would be the third one to go back to their roots and get stronger by older timing). Yo-Yo dash is a nice change of pace and a good sign (Fireball would of been great if it, you know, did any damage).

Silent_Hill_Crossing

Smash Apprentice
Based on Pikachu's upgrades (read: reverts to 64 era timing), my guess is that Sakurai and co. decided 64 was a better time for some cast (Ness/Lucas would be the third one to go back to their roots and get stronger by older timing). Yo-Yo dash is a nice change of pace and a good sign (Fireball would of been great if it, you know, did any damage).

Agreed.

---------------------End response.

Did anyone notice for a long time now most of Kirby's attacks are based from other Nintendo characters? If anyone here has played Kirby's Super Star doesn't it sort of remind you of Ness? [The hat, and Yo-Yo thing]

^ The Sword is like Link, and Bomb is like Bomber Man thing is an obvious concept, but the Yo-Yo is just so....

I'm also wondering if Kirby will be able to Yo-Yo toss with that move. That'd be pretty awesome.

UsernameLink

Smash Journeyman
there has to be a reason for us not seeing his b move in action, maybe they havnt finished it yet (aka same move still), maybe it has other uses, or maybe so we can get kirby move/hat updates on the dojo!

bluekitsune13

Smash Journeyman
Hey... maybe Kirby will get a HUGE makeover too, like Samus and ZSS. Perhaps when he swallows a character, he'll not only gain their B move, but some of their A moves too! Maybe that's why we've never seen a picture of Kirby with a special hat on yet (correct me if I'm wrong). Here's an example of what I mean.

Kirby swallows Link, so he gets Link's cap. However, he also gets a sword, and some new A attacks that use it! Or if he swallows Bowser, Kirby's attacks get more powerful, but have more lag. He might also gain some weight or flinch frames. What do you think? It would definately be an innovated change.

Break

Smash Apprentice
I've seen that idea brought up before bluekitsune, and it is most definitely an interesting one. It would make Kirby the most complex character in Brawl. I think it would be awesome as Kirby players would have a ridiculous amount of playstyles to choose from. Personally, I don't feel that it's very likely, but hell, you never know.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Im suprised that no one talks about Kirby´s "Pegasus ryuseiken" attack!.

It noticeable has more range than in Melee, and also seems to be faster. This was my favourite move in Melee from Kirby... but because if has so small range it was not as good as let say Link,s or Fox´s or Falco, or Capt falcon mutliple hits. IMO it was the worse.

But suddenly it becomes better thana ll those,

Good foy you Kirby players,, i hated how cool he was as a character but how much he sucked in Melee.

Silent_Hill_Crossing

Smash Apprentice
Yep, I've always wondered how Kirby went from top to flop between two games. Too much nerfing. At least in this game it should be quite better.

bluekitsune13

Smash Journeyman
I've seen that idea brought up before bluekitsune, and it is most definitely an interesting one. It would make Kirby the most complex character in Brawl. I think it would be awesome as Kirby players would have a ridiculous amount of playstyles to choose from. Personally, I don't feel that it's very likely, but hell, you never know.
I think it would be cool if perhaps just a few moves were changed. Just like if you pick up a beam sword, your A, tilt A's, and smash A's all change. The same could be with Kirby! (honestly though, I just want Kirby to have Link's sword, like in the old games).

Silent_Hill_Crossing

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be cool if perhaps just a few moves were changed. Just like if you pick up a beam sword, your A, tilt A's, and smash A's all change. The same could be with Kirby! (honestly though, I just want Kirby to have Link's sword, like in the old games).
Ah, you mean the Golden Sword, with Links Cap.

You sir win.

Kentalish

Smash Lord
in that vid we saw kirbys forward b in the air a 2 hit combo... im definitly having kirby as a main... i love how if somone is behind u when u hit forward b then the hammer goes around and hits em

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
Kirby has always been great in the hands of a pro, but the idea of kirbys absorbption is great. Do you think king deedeede(Sorry for mispelling)is in?

Drake3

Smash Ace
I'm glad his dash attack has changed, but I really wish it was like the Mirror from KSS. So much could have been drawn from that game, and I really hope Brawl uses more.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I hate how Kirby has attacks from Hats he isn't wearing (Stone, Hammer, Final Cutter, Burning, etc). If he doesn't have a Hat he shouldn't have that power.

Seems like no one realizes that.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Well its a slightly foolish peeve. Mario can shoot fireballs without the fire suit, for one. Im sure most of the characters have abilities and powers from their games that they wouldnt be able to freely use in their own games. Pikachu can use more than 4 moves, Yoshi can throw more than 6 eggs... the list goes on!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Well its a slightly foolish peeve. Mario can shoot fireballs without the fire suit, for one. Im sure most of the characters have abilities and powers from their games that they wouldnt be able to freely use in their own games. Pikachu can use more than 4 moves, Yoshi can throw more than 6 eggs... the list goes on!
Then he should at least have a hat on when using those moves. :p
Wearing a red Bandanna while comboing someone with a Vulcan Punch would be that much cooler.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
I'm hoping that they're putting in a system in SE that allows Kirby to use powers from the enemies there, unless of course the Petey Pirahna stage is his only storyline stage.

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
Kirby WAS playable at E for All to my knowledge. You just had to go over to the adventure mode station and play there. You got to play as Kirby for a bit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
It was only a demo movie that you watch to see Kirby. But if they had I would like to know what day it started. Other than that, they should make Kirby suck up projectiles like in the game.

misplacedme

Smash Rookie
From what I saw, kirby seems to be a bit more agile. His turns happened a lot quicker than in melee, and I hope that it wasn't a trick of my eye.

trio1000

Smash Apprentice
wit dede.......

wit king dedede confirmed then shouldnt his forward special be changed? doesnt he use dedede's hammer as his forward special in melee?

Silent_Hill_Crossing

Smash Apprentice
No his hammer, is Bonkers hammer. King Dedede's Mallet is quite a bit bigger, and more powerful. And can be swung furiously.

Top Bottom