• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's "I forgot the old thread title" - Kirby Video Thread

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Jtail,

I will admit I was initially confused about your Kirby Guide. But after watching it and your For Glory Gameplay, I have learned a lot. So, first, I want to apologize for my ignorance and want to Thank You for your insight. I have been incorporating your style into my matches and have improved significantly. You really do help show Kirby's potential! I believe the Kirby community will love to see you use Kirby at Apex. Not only will it give Kirby more recognition but seeing another top player use Kirby is exciting. But if you have to win, please use your main. You and ADHD are only Diddy players I humbly respect.

Once again... Thank you and are you going to do guide for Mii Fighters?

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Jtail,

I will admit I was initially confused about your Kirby Guide. But after watching it and your For Glory Gameplay, I have learned a lot. So, first, I want to apologize for my ignorance and want to Thank You for your insight. I have been incorporating your style into my matches and have improved significantly. You really do help show Kirby's potential! I believe the Kirby community will love to see you use Kirby at Apex. Not only will it give Kirby more recognition but seeing another top player use Kirby is exciting. But if you have to win, please use your main. You and ADHD are only Diddy players I humbly respect.

Once again... Thank you and are you going to do guide for Mii Fighters?
.-. ~<3

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
To answer your questions about "which one am I" I see potential in Kirby, and I think he's a good character, I think he has certain advantageous match ups against some of the cast and can do well against some top tiers, assuming your opponent doesn't know the match up very well. He can definitely catch people off guard and with smart play, can definitely win tournaments.
That's.... that's not the sign of a "good" character :////// A character's worth is only determined by how the matchup plays out when both players know what they're doing. It's kind of sad because there's some truth to it. Watching MikeKirby vs Jtails (from like a month ago) they had an extremely close set, but Jtails failed to punish certain things because it looked like he didn't know the matchup that well. If they play again (have you guys been playing each other in that matchup lately?) I wouldn't be surprised if Diddy was pulling out ahead much more consistently.

Jay, why are you being so hostile? Like.. wut? The only problem I remember from his Kirby guide was that he said something about Inhaling people offstage and then footstooling him, when in reality I'm pretty sure that's a good way to die because people pop out above you and THEY can footstool YOU. Otherwise I had no problems with it, if his subscribers wanted a Kirby guide then they got it. I am kind of sad my own Kirby 'guide' video got so few views in comparison though ;_;

I haven't watched the For Glory video, because I don't like watching wifi matches if I can help it, especially For Glory since I've played there enough to know how inconsistent it is, but Unknownkid's post made me curious so I guess I'll check it out.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
That's.... that's not the sign of a "good" character :////// A character's worth is only determined by how the matchup plays out when both players know what they're doing. It's kind of sad because there's some truth to it. Watching MikeKirby vs Jtails (from like a month ago) they had an extremely close set, but Jtails failed to punish certain things because it looked like he didn't know the matchup that well. If they play again (have you guys been playing each other in that matchup lately?) I wouldn't be surprised if Diddy was pulling out ahead much more consistently.

Jay, why are you being so hostile? Like.. wut? The only problem I remember from his Kirby guide was that he said something about Inhaling people offstage and then footstooling him, when in reality I'm pretty sure that's a good way to die because people pop out above you and THEY can footstool YOU. Otherwise I had no problems with it, if his subscribers wanted a Kirby guide then they got it. I am kind of sad my own Kirby 'guide' video got so few views in comparison though ;_;

I haven't watched the For Glory video, because I don't like watching wifi matches if I can help it, especially For Glory since I've played there enough to know how inconsistent it is, but Unknownkid's post made me curious so I guess I'll check it out.
First of all call me Jay-kun, please THANK YOU.
Second, read my posts more, please THANK YOU.
Thirdly, don't ask if you add "Like.. wut?" in your statement, this shows that you have no idea what you are talking about OK Asdioh?
Fourthly, my answer to your statement is: read my replies to Jtails and read his replies. It is called an intelligent conversation where at the end benefits both myself and Jtails. (Simply put for men like you: we are defending our viewpoints). Now, if you have understood what I have just said then do not need to answer your question. ~<3

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
That Rosalina was so...

Asdioh, what kind of players are at these tourneys?

EDIT:

LOL HE USED F-SMASH WITH MEGAMAN I'M NEUTRAL LIKE 20 TIMES

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Well, he didn't do anything game-breaking with Kirby (except for Dair beating Bowser's UpSmash - might be due to his positioning). But his commentary while playing as Kirby and what/how to approach the various characters he faced in FG (aka Smash Fundamentals) that was inspiring. Also, he likes to condition his opponents to do some certain moves (Falco match) or what you do when your opponent constantly bait out moves (Pit Match). Nakat does a similar commentary on his stream for Zero to Hero.

Few things caught me off guard like Ganon's Utilt or he stated that Little Mac will be a tougher opponent than Lucina (which I believe most of us recall Lucina is harder). I guess I can see why on face value. But once you learn to duck I believe the Little Mac Matchup turns to our favor. Sadly, both the Little Mac and Lucina match was poor. Also, I was hoping to see how he will perform against a good Yoshi, a Flow Chart Diddy, or ZSS.

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Hey guys, there's going to be a Smash 4 get together tonight at the local arcade. From what I hear there's going to be a livestream running, so I thought I'd drop the link here if anyone wants to watch:

www.twitch.tv/gamepadarena

It's the first day of the stream, so it should be fun and exciting. The events should get bigger and more hype as more people hear about the livestream.

Edit:
The doors open around 5pm tonight (Pacific Standard Time). The stream will be set up around that time so t0mmy and I will definitely be playing there playing, if anything. I'm guessing the other local players will start showing up around 6 or 7.

If any of you show up to the stream early, we could broadcast some online friendlies. :)

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
You spell twitch.tv incorrectly, t!MmY. Haha, it gave me a virus. Anyways, thank you for the link.

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
You spell twitch.tv incorrectly, t!MmY. Haha, it gave me a virus. Anyways, thank you for the link.
Whoops, sorry about that! XD
I edited that as quickly as I could, but apparently - to paraphrase Sonic - I was too slow.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Haha, it's cool! My Anti-virus caught it, delete it and gave me a warning about the site. I look forward to the stream.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
The spelling on the link is right, but the URL itself is "twtich." Very suspicious, T!mmy.

Very suspicious.
That Rosalina was so...

Asdioh, what kind of players are at these tourneys?

EDIT:

LOL HE USED F-SMASH WITH MEGAMAN I'M NEUTRAL LIKE 20 TIMES
Well he's not a top player there... the Diddy on the other hand read me like a book (and was also Diddy Kong)

Leonyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Leonyx3
3DS FC
2638-1926-1616
Whoops, sorry about that! XD
I edited that as quickly as I could, but apparently - to paraphrase Sonic - I was too slow.
Uh, you should fix the link too. It still sends you to the wrong place.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Hey guys Project SonicSpeed(I hate my username) here. I've been following the kirby community for a while and have been using ninja kirby's wall cling and hiding in the shadows for a while but I have a ton of replays for you guys to critique my kirby. I will upload them soon but it'll take awhile considering I literally ran out of space to save replays.....anyway looking foward to what you guys think any advice helps. In addition I'll be contributing way more to discussions and whatnot, now if you excuse me I have replays to upload.

Last edited:

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
On a side note for anyone looking to train a kirby amiibo sparring partner this video is a great tutorial. I know it doesn't have kirby in it but the same rules apply to every amiibo and i'm getting my kirby amiibo in the mail soon anyone got any amiibo's they use for training buddies or are you against the idea of using an amiibo for a partner.

Super Smash Bros. Wii U: Training Your Amiibo: http://youtu.be/zpmcXlXI97Y

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
The spelling on the link is right, but the URL itself is "twtich." Very suspicious, T!mmy.

Very suspicious.
Ha ha, you got me... I work for the Virus Company and we're gonna git your computerz.
Actually, I thought by changing the text it would change the link, too. At any rate, it's fixed now and the livestream is getting set up.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Ha ha, you got me... I work for the Virus Company and we're gonna git your computerz.
Actually, I thought by changing the text it would change the link, too. At any rate, it's fixed now and the livestream is getting set up.
So I have a theory: Your name is Timmy, am I right? If so, you spelled your name wrong :/

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
So I have a theory: Your name is Timmy, am I right? If so, you spelled your name wrong :/
More like I corrected my parent's mistake. ;)
Looks like the stream will be set up soon, probably in about 10 mins. I'm just at the computer chillaxin' right now.

Last edited:

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
More like I corrected my parent's mistake. ;)
Looks like the stream will be set up soon, probably in about 10 mins. I'm just at the computer chillaxin' right now.
I'm guessing cosmo got to your parents too huh timmy? I thought wanda would've warned you but I guess she's a moron too.
:cool:

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Here are two videos guys.

Vs Jash (Toon Link) @ min 26
https://youtube.com/watch?v=mUl1hQytm9k

Vs Vinnie (ROB/Shiek)
https://youtube.com/watch?v=sZ40RgICzc4

I hope my set Vs Will gets uploaded. It was ssooooooo clooose!
I had it vs Vinnie, too... -.-
That Final Cutter nerf... Why Sakurai...?
I have to stop fishing for things or committing hard when I shouldn't.

I don't know why Spooky mashes sets together in one video. :ohwell:

Last edited:

warpd

Smash Apprentice
Mikekirby, I saw your matchup against Ninjalink at Smash Attack 1. Those matches were so close, but it looks like such a struggle to get around all those projectiles.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Man that Toon Link set. It went from "I knew it, Kirby can't do anything against Toon Link!" to "Wow, look at all those successive powershields." Although that's not a Kirby-specific way of dealing with TL, it clearly helps if you have the timing down. Good stuff.
And too bad about the ROB/Sheik set, you totally had it.
A lot of SDs in these few short sets o_o
Also, STOP USING DTHROW! Seriously, every time you dthrow, an upthrow or fthrow would have been better :p upthrow does more damage, and fthrow does slightly more damage and actually has a slightly better angle/knockback for followup pressure, even though it's not guaranteed.

I don't think I'll ever not be upset by the fact that it seems like every single character in the game except Kirby has downthrow followups. Like, what?? You took away the fairly uncommon trait melee/brawl Kirby had, and gave it to almost every other character in the game???

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Personally, I felt Toon Link vs Kirby in Brawl was 50/50 and I want to believe that in this game, too. I've played some top 5 Tinks in Brawl like King toon and one of Texas's best Tink (forgot his handle) and it's always felt really dead even to me if you know how to powershield and toss items back. Don't get me started on vs regular Link in this game, though. >__>

I know we get nothing from d-throw at zero but I feel like, if I f-throw at zero, my opponent ends up on the ground shielding before I finish my whole animation and there's nothing I can do about that. =\
However, f-throw after like 50% does place Kirby at a good position so that's when I'll do it more. If I do d-throw at high percents it's usually always a mistake. In the heat of the moment, I impulsively might do d-throw. =V

New set uploaded~
Vs Will
https://youtube.com/watch?v=CYgYWQ2HOIQ

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
How about Inhale instead of Fair after Fthrow? Command Grabs are not hinder by the "No Chain Grab allow" rule since you can chain Jumping Inhale. If you are close enough, Inhale will "grab" through shield.

Anyways, nice matches. I was surprised how you beat Jash when I came on the stream. Now I know.
You were the closest player to beating Vinnie out of anyone in the tournament. That Will match was close too.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Personally, I felt Toon Link vs Kirby in Brawl was 50/50 and I want to believe that in this game, too. I've played some top 5 Tinks in Brawl like King toon and one of Texas's best Tink (forgot his handle) and it's always felt really dead even to me if you know how to powershield and toss items back. Don't get me started on vs regular Link in this game, though. >__>
Yeah, the matchup seemed evenish to me, but it was just miserably not-fun, no matter how I look at it. I personally hate playing vs items, I definitely need to do more practice catching, throwing, and powershielding them.
I think I remember when KingToon joined smashboards haha. He was like "sup guys I'm KingToon I'm the best TL" and people were like "ok yeah you're some random kid with a generic name" but apparently he went on to be known as the best (or close to best? I stopped following brawl years ago) Toon Links so that's cool. I'm guessing the other one you mentioned is good old Santi :D?
I'm gonna have to get you started on Link though. Harder than Toon Link, or easier? There are at least 3 Link mains in my locals, and no Toon Links. I beat all the Links consistently, but I feel they're not playing the matchup right, or not playing the character right. Especially after watching Izaw's Link.

I know we get nothing from d-throw at zero but I feel like, if I f-throw at zero, my opponent ends up on the ground shielding before I finish my whole animation and there's nothing I can do about that. =\
Would definitely recommend Upthrow in that case. Does 10-11 damage compared to Dthrow's 6-7, and puts them in almost the same spot. Also, Fthrow actually might be a combo move against certain bigger/floatier characters. It might require specific percents, but I feel like Fthrow true combos into F-air sometimes on the likes of ROB, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Samus. Or it combos into whatever Copy move you may have, which is really nice :D
However, f-throw after like 50% does place Kirby at a good position so that's when I'll do it more. If I do d-throw at high percents it's usually always a mistake. In the heat of the moment, I impulsively might do d-throw. =V
Yeah.

excited to watch
i need to get as good as you at pressing the right buttons that i intend to press at the right time (except for that one final cutter SD, oops)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I don't have time to watch the vids right now, but I will as soon as I can. I'm looking forward to seeing the set with Will since the DK match-up hasn't been touched on much around the forums.

I know we get nothing from d-throw at zero...
I also use D-throw 'too much'. I'm aware of the damage merits of using F-throw and U-throw, but I think I'm instinctively using it for positional advantage at certain percents, especially on characters I don't get B-throw combos on. D-throw feels like it sends the opponent out horizontally more (or maybe persuades the opponent to DI away), which can often times be more important than a little more damage. D-throw could use a little more analyzing.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Nice! I really like those examples you added in, too. Maybe I'll start using default Stone again...

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I actually havent tested if they work with the other 2 custom rocks. But I assume if they do, especially the 3rd version, it could come in handy.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I actually havent tested if they work with the other 2 custom rocks. But I assume if they do, especially the 3rd version, it could come in handy.
It doesn't. Burying Stone doesn't slide at all, and Meteor Stone teleports Kirby up, so he can't get off the stage or platform.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Nice! I really like those examples you added in, too. Maybe I'll start using default Stone again...
Just curious - what stone do you usually use? I like Meteor Stone in certain matchups against slow recovery, but it's so risky...

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Just curious - what stone do you usually use? I like Meteor Stone in certain matchups against slow recovery, but it's so risky...
I'll go into detail on that soon~

(and lots of other stuffs)

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
UNLESS I SPOIL IT FIRST!

(Actually I prefer default Stone myself because it's the best safety/reward ratio offstage imo, but "Reserved" uses one of the customs and he promises me it's good)

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
@ Asdioh Asdioh
Link has a lot of range in his attacks. I feel like we end up trading hits or getting flat out beaten to the punch. Link's d-air has such a deceiving hitbox, sometimes I'm afraid of b-airing him during that because I don't want the trade to possibly KO me. He has a "combo breaker" n-air and is fairly safe on shield unless it's spaced wrong. It's matchup experience that'll probably only get better in time but the one thing that annoys me the most is his backroll and jab! I love reading and punishing rolls and Link's backroll is one the rolls that I can't punish without a read and it annoys me! :ohwell:

Kirby Quick Rock Tutorial. A little something I made. Share with everyone!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVPD10xOoFk
Awesome! I LOVE quick rock! I use to use all the time on the 3DS. Also, rip Brawl Yoshi's Island. ;__;

I keep messing it up quick rock in tournament sets (which is my utter bad since it's easier in this game) but it's amazing at getting surprise KOs! Once you show your opponent that you CAN and will do it, it creates great mind games. :laugh:
It's one of the reasons Battlefield and Town And City are one of my more favorite neutrals/counter picks.

Edit: Holy crap! You used an old brawl match ours for the showcase! Haha! The is video was really well edited!

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yeah, I can see it. The Link player I always end up playing spams roll and it's extremely hard to deal with.

That reminds me, I wasn't sure if Battlefield was a good idea against characters like DK. That Will set was great, but whenever you were forced to the ledge, his option coverage was massive. It was pretty terrifying. Same with when DK was under a platform. There's so little you could do besides hope to bait out a move.

Top Bottom