• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's final smash = Overpowered

Drack

Smash Apprentice
When I first saw saw the video of Kirby doing his final smash in midair I didn't think much of it. But consider this:

Kirby gets the smash ball. Jumps to the highest platform, then uses all his jumps to get as high as possible. When Kirby is as close to the top of the level as possible, he activates the final smash.

All Opponents will be shot upwards, getting star KO'd.

Looper

Smash Journeyman
atleast they're staying true to the kirby series. kirby was able to use Cook in the air after swallowing the mini-boss.

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking that Instead of getting your opponents, it will suck up items instead. There probably is a limit to the amount of things Kirby can put in his pot, although I'm not that sure

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
After watching the movie a few times, it seems to me that Kirby's FS only affects those touching the ground. DK and Pikachu were both midair when the FS was used in this movie.
I don't think it's that, due to many video's that he caught people in mid air. I belive it was the stage that made Kirby miss Pikachu and DK was too far.

Nitesever

Smash Cadet
I don't think it's that, due to many video's that he caught people in mid air. I belive it was the stage that made Kirby miss Pikachu and DK was too far.
That's certainly possible, I haven't made a habit of following Kirby movies (or many others for that matter, FFA for the loss). However, the characters that were missed by the FS seemed pretty close to me.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
That's certainly possible, I haven't made a habit of following Kirby movies (or many others for that matter, FFA for the loss). However, the characters that were missed by the FS seemed pretty close to me.
Yeah, at one point Pikachu walked right over the pot itself.

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
If that's the case, just jump all the way to the top left corner and use the final smash, auto-KO ^.^

SaxyPlayah

Smash Apprentice
You possibly think that the pot has like a set capacity limit, cause not only does it suck up Snake, it also sucks up a lot of items, and possibly if i can only have up to lets say 5 objects, then you have Snake and 4 items.

So you think there is a capacity to kirbys pot?

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
You possibly think that the pot has like a set capacity limit, cause not only does it suck up Snake, it also sucks up a lot of items, and possibly if i can only have up to lets say 5 objects, then you have Snake and 4 items.

So you think there is a capacity to kirbys pot?
That's what I was thinking before too

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
I noticed Pikachu and DK were both hanging onto a ledge when Kirby got the smashball and used his final smash. As you know, hanging on the ledge gives you some temporary invincibility to moves (from what I've heard, that's the only way to dodge the assist trophy Lyn). I've seen it in a one on one though and in single matches, it's not that useful. Though it looks pretty useful in a 4 player match.

Dodger

Smash Ace
Can someone please test the final smash with items OFF? I played brawl briefly last week and got the smash ball in a free for all. I sucked up three other characters into the pot, but from what I recall, nothing else happened. No one got shot up into the air. Now, that seems like a huge flaw so maybe there were some details that I missed (perhaps all my opponents were low percent) but I would like some more info on this troubling development.

Izmo

Smash Cadet
It's a proximity thing. If you're far enough away from the pot, it won't catch you. I found this out on Corneria, when I jumped to the top while my friend ran way as far as possible. I was near the large hump , basically a little to the right of the middle of the stage, and I couldn't get him in it.

I've since tested it on multiple stages against multiple characters, and the results are the same. There's a certain radius you have with the pot, and anything outside remains uncooked.

To give you a better idea of the radius, I just jumped on the game and went to Pokemon Stadium (The first one, not 2) and put Kirby in the middle of the stage, right in button of the Pokeball on the floor. Then, I put player 3 (Wolf) over on the near the edge of the right side. On that white panel. Only Final Smashes on, no other items or players. If Kirby stays on the ground, jumps once, or jumps twice, and then used the Final Smash, he was still within range to grab Wolf. When I did 3 jumps, I couldn't get him in the pot. I've tested it with Kirby facing both ways, and even with Wolf facing both ways, but nothing I saw pointed to anything other then Wolf's distance from Kirby.

Hopefully that helps out :D If anyone wants me to test other theories out, let me know, but I'm convinced it's the distance between Kirby and his would be meals.

Edit: To answer Dodger, I think you just had some low-percentage opponents ^^ We haven't played with items on, the only item on when we do of course being the Smash Ball itself, and I never have had the situation you described happen to me.

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
It's a proximity thing. If you're far enough away from the pot, it won't catch you. I found this out on Corneria, when I jumped to the top while my friend ran way as far as possible. I was near the large hump , basically a little to the right of the middle of the stage, and I couldn't get him in it.

I've since tested it on multiple stages against multiple characters, and the results are the same. There's a certain radius you have with the pot, and anything outside remains uncooked.

To give you a better idea of the radius, I just jumped on the game and went to Pokemon Stadium (The first one, not 2) and put Kirby in the middle of the stage, right in button of the Pokeball on the floor. Then, I put player 3 (Wolf) over on the near the edge of the right side. On that white panel. Only Final Smashes on, no other items or players. If Kirby stays on the ground, jumps once, or jumps twice, and then used the Final Smash, he was still within range to grab Wolf. When I did 3 jumps, I couldn't get him in the pot. I've tested it with Kirby facing both ways, and even with Wolf facing both ways, but nothing I saw pointed to anything other then Wolf's distance from Kirby.

Hopefully that helps out :D If anyone wants me to test other theories out, let me know, but I'm convinced it's the distance between Kirby and his would be meals.

Edit: To answer Dodger, I think you just had some low-percentage opponents ^^ We haven't played with items on, the only item on when we do of course being the Smash Ball itself, and I never have had the situation you described happen to me.

That does seem to be the case for DK in that video. But Pikachu was like right next to Kirby when he used it. Those are probably the 2 ways to avoid getting caught by it besides star.

Izmo

Smash Cadet
Oh, ya, if he was hanging on the ledge, that would do it too. Sorry ^^; I hadn't recalled the video and blanked over that part of the post for some reason. My apologies!

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
Oh, ya, if he was hanging on the ledge, that would do it too. Sorry ^^; I hadn't recalled the video and blanked over that part of the post for some reason. My apologies!
Nah that's no problem. Your still right though, it's got a radius it goes by. Otherwise it would be overpowered >_<.

marthownsxd

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if someone playing as Kirby goes under the stage and uses his Final Smash. Would all the characters that got sucked up bounce off the ceiling of the platform and be sent downwards? I would truly like to see this in video. It would kinda really hurt the purpose of the Final Smash giving items, but it'll be really cool to see.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I don't think Kirby's Final Smash reaches through barriers (solid walls, ceiling, etc). That means if you use it under the stage you're wasting it unless your opponents are already down there for some reason.

ElectroBlade

Smash Journeyman
It's NOT overpowered, I played Kirby and used it about 4 times. It's NOT overpowered.

SilverBlaze

Smash Apprentice
In order to dodge the FS, short of being far away, you can either hang on the ledge or do a dodge. The timing is important though. You need to dodge just as Kirby is clashing his pans together, otherwise you'll get sucked in all the same.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I think DK was just out of the FS's range. I don't know how Pikachu dodged it though. Maybe the pot does have a capacity limit.

graceofbass

Smash Cadet
Kirby FS

Well, having used Kirby's Final Smash, I'm pretty sure that it sicks in characters and items who are close to Kirby's pot. Once I was at the top of a big stage in VS. mode and used it, and it only got one person because everyone else was too far away. I have, however, gotten everyone in it before, so I don't think there's any kind of limit to the amount it sucks in, it's a proximity thing.

Top Bottom