• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby..?

flushinrush

Smash Rookie
I was randomly thinking of training with Kirby and join a tournament sooner or later. Do you think a maximum potential Kirby player can win a tournament? Because I like Kirby but he's soo floaty and his slow easily readable and punishable hammer is depressing i mean im able to score with it on some players online but I don't think itll work in a tournament espicially if there was money involved... but i dont like neglecting a part of characters move set but everything else comes into play nicely

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I was randomly thinking of training with Kirby and join a tournament sooner or later. Do you think a maximum potential Kirby player can win a tournament? Because I like Kirby but he's soo floaty and his slow easily readable and punishable hammer is depressing i mean im able to score with it on some players online but I don't think itll work in a tournament espicially if there was money involved... but i dont like neglecting a part of characters move set but everything else comes into play nicely
A local monthly? Probably. A regional? Unless Kirby gets a speed buff or his customs take him soaring through the sky (and even then you still have Rosie, ZSS and Yoshi to deal with, oiy), it's more than likely not happenning. That being said, Kirby players tend to have really good mental reading capabilities from what I noticed, and stuff like tech-chasing, crouching, combos, and multiple jumps all leave room for getting in the player's head and mindgames. I'd play a Kirby player if you need a good method of getting rid of habits, but for MU practice? Unless you're Sheik probably not.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Unless Kirby gets more buffs, maybe having his U-Throw being able to kill much earlier, his hammer was much faster (even though he can move faster with it now), and getting better custom moves, I don't think he'll be a regional favorite. For local, it's very possible that he can do decently.

MrMFC

Smash Cadet
NNID
iLFurkan
Yeah, not even ZeRo could win a regional with Kirby (or maybe he can, because it's ZeRo so who knows)

Rebel13

Banned via Warnings
sadly to Say Kirby isn't Tournament Potential
Wow. I would expect better from anyone on the Kirby boards. I actually came here for help fighting Kirby, because he is extremely strong after patch 1.1.0. Then I see this thread O_O.

Forward throw and up tilt lead into tons of damage and his crouch ducks under a lot of stuff. . . He has a good command grab. . .He has no real weakness in any matchup aside from being very light, but that also makes him hard to combo. I see no reason why you couldn't win tournaments with Kirby.
He is more viable than probably 50% of the cast.
And yes the hammer blows, don't use it.

Yeah, not even ZeRo could win a regional with Kirby (or maybe he can, because it's ZeRo so who knows)
No words here.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Wow. I would expect better from anyone on the Kirby boards. I actually came here for help fighting Kirby, because he is extremely strong after patch 1.1.0. Then I see this thread O_O.

Forward throw and up tilt lead into tons of damage and his crouch ducks under a lot of stuff. . . He has a good command grab. . .He has no real weakness in any matchup aside from being very light, but that also makes him hard to combo. I see no reason why you couldn't win tournaments with Kirby.

No words here.
He has trouble approaching non-committal/ campy opponents. He also to get a good read off a competent opponent to get the KO if he isn't edgeguarding.

whitekirby9

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-2712-4478

and yet he is still low in tier,
lets see watca got With Kirby, lets exchange FC and see!

Rebel13

Banned via Warnings
lets see watca got With Kirby, lets exchange FC and see!
@ whitekirby9 whitekirby9 Well as I said, I came here because I couldn't deal with him haha. Maybe I'm missing something. Right now posting on lunch break from work, soonest I can play ya would be 5:00 CST.

Last edited:

whitekirby9

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-2712-4478
@ whitekirby9 whitekirby9 Well as I said, I came here because I couldn't deal with him haha. Maybe I'm missing something. Right now posting on lunch break from work, soonest I can play ya would be 5:00 CST.
Mkay, im just saying it would be hard to win a tournament maining kirby

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Tbh if you MAIN Kirby and think he's low tier, you should just leave smashboards for a year and come back when you know more,

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
Kirby might have a shot at smaller ones, but at the moment, a regional scale tourney would be pretty rough.

Kirby now has very good damage racking options and decent KO power, but getting a KO is takes commitment. Even trying to tack on extra damage can be risky when the opponent has high percent because of their rage and your lack of combo potential and range. That's why I've been advocating (however useless it may be) for Kirby with an extra 10-20% off current U-throw. He'd be practically perfect then.

And I've seen a lot of complaints about Hammer. Hammer is fine, charged Hammer Flip can KO Bowser at like 35% from the middle of the stage and the charge is decently fast. On top of that, Kirby has a way of breaking shields, so it's not entirely useless. It just shouldn't be used without the hardest of reads or confirms.

IMO, less than perfect Kirby > OP Kirby.

Last edited:

MrMFC

Smash Cadet
NNID
iLFurkan
Kirby might have a shot at smaller ones, but at the moment, a regional scale tourney would be pretty rough.

Kirby now has very good damage racking options and decent KO power, but getting a KO is takes commitment. Even trying to tack on extra damage can be risky when the opponent has high percent because of their rage and your lack of combo potential and range. That's why I've been advocating (however useless it may be) for Kirby with an extra 10-20% off current U-throw. He'd be practically perfect then.

And I've seen a lot of complaints about Hammer. Hammer is fine, charged Hammer Flip can KO Bowser at like 35% from the middle of the stage and the charge is decently fast. On top of that, Kirby has a way of breaking shields, so it's not entirely useless. It just shouldn't be used without the hardest of reads or confirms.

IMO, less than perfect Kirby > OP Kirby.
Still breaking a shield is no easy thing with Kirby, but once you get one your opponent is pretty much dead due to the hammer, but other than that the Hammer is just too punishable and slow to be useful (uncharged hammer is slower and weaker than Fsmash I think and charging the hammer and hitting doesn't really work against good players unless they don't know about the 2nd aerial hit if the hammer isn't fully charged, lol). But other than that I completely agree with you.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
You used Eventhubs.

Guess I was right.

Roy used to be first on there........ and Wario used to be last........

Poupoko

Smash Cadet
Still breaking a shield is no easy thing with Kirby, but once you get one your opponent is pretty much dead due to the hammer, but other than that the Hammer is just too punishable and slow to be useful (uncharged hammer is slower and weaker than Fsmash I think and charging the hammer and hitting doesn't really work against good players unless they don't know about the 2nd aerial hit if the hammer isn't fully charged, lol). But other than that I completely agree with you.
Yeah, that's my one complaint with Hammer: it's slower AND weaker than F-smash for some reason… maybe because it's a disjoint? If there's anything to change, it'd be that.

You're right that breaking shields isn't easy, not just with Kirby but with any character. But shield breaking is just so out there that I've managed to get a few wins this way (after conditioning of course). I've found it more reliable cheesy win than Kirbyciding. Plus, it's a ton of fun.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I think most Kirby mains agree he is a pretty mid tier character. While he has really good combos and edge-guards, he is small so he is hard to hit, and he is floaty so he is hard to combo, he has more weaknesses than strengths. Bad approach options, hard to land, 3rd lightest character, one of the easiest characters to gimp, can get camped out easy, and bad range. Kirby also has some really bad top tier MUs, including Yoshi, Luigi, and Sonic, and a couple others. He has good top tier match-ups too, like sheik, ZSS, and falcon, but almost all of them are 40:60 if not worse. Any character with good range and disjoints is automatically a bad MU (except for Shulk because he is laggy, and monados). To counteract that though, he has a good match-up vs a lot of fastfallers.

Honestly, I see him being a good counterpick vs fastfallers. A good secondary choice, if you will.

JS2D

Smash Cadet
I think most Kirby mains agree he is a pretty mid tier character. While he has really good combos and edge-guards, he is small so he is hard to hit, and he is floaty so he is hard to combo, he has more weaknesses than strengths. Bad approach options, hard to land, 3rd lightest character, one of the easiest characters to gimp, can get camped out easy, and bad range. Kirby also has some really bad top tier MUs, including Yoshi, Luigi, and Sonic, and a couple others. He has good top tier match-ups too, like sheik, ZSS, and falcon, but almost all of them are 40:60 if not worse. Any character with good range and disjoints is automatically a bad MU (except for Shulk because he is laggy, and monados). To counteract that though, he has a good match-up vs a lot of fastfallers.

Honestly, I see him being a good counterpick vs fastfallers. A good secondary choice, if you will.
You're stretching it a little bit tbh. He's definitely not of the "easiest to gimp", and there's noway Kirby-Falcon is 40-60 (or that falcon is top tier lol).

But yeah, everything else is true. It frustrates me sometimes how easy he is to camp out, especially since one of our local champs is a sonic main. I'm already looking for a pocket for Kirby's **** matchups.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
You're stretching it a little bit tbh. He's definitely not of the "easiest to gimp", and there's noway Kirby-Falcon is 40-60 (or that falcon is top tier lol).

But yeah, everything else is true. It frustrates me sometimes how easy he is to camp out, especially since one of our local champs is a sonic main. I'm already looking for a pocket for Kirby's **** matchups.
I said one of the. He definitely isn't THE easiest, but his jumps adding on to his horrid air speed is easy to gimp, and his up-b doesn't lock onto the ledge on the way up. All in all its easy to gimp.

If you want i can change "top" to "high". I know Falcon is not top tier, I was just stating high/top tiers. Thats also why I said Yoshi was a bad MU. hes not top tier either.

JS2D

Smash Cadet
I said one of the. He definitely isn't THE easiest, but his jumps adding on to his horrid air speed is easy to gimp, and his up-b doesn't lock onto the ledge on the way up. All in all its easy to gimp.

If you want i can change "top" to "high". I know Falcon is not top tier, I was just stating high/top tiers. Thats also why I said Yoshi was a bad MU. hes not top tier either.
His recovery is fine, not the best but it's decent. Yes, if you're forced to use final cutter while recovering low there's a good chance you'll get gimped, but other than that Kirby can usually make it back to the stage with relative easy. Having five jumps and being floaty means you can "hover" there to bait an attack, or to mix up your recovery, or whatever.
Now with Upper cutter though, that's a different story...

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
I know a weakness is a weakness but lets consider his true weaknessee
Him being 3rd lightest has its faults, but I don't think that's something truly use as an excuse for holding him back
Him having below-average mobility is one problems, sometimes he can have trouble catching characters.
Most Lightweights have low range in their attacks, Kirby obviously wouldn't be an exception.
He doesn't have a projectile, so approaching could be rough, luckily projectiles were nerfed in this game so approaching im pretty sure isn't AS hard as it seems.
He's been getting some cool buffs so even some of his Top-tier MUs MIGHT be getting a little easier, especially Shiek right?
He has very few(I think the only one from the Kirby boards is Yoshi) 35:65 MUs.
Though just in case you could get a backup character, someone with decent projectiles or is speed.

He excels in the Customs area, he really is not bad at all, try using Kirby until you are literally facing an Uphill battle, is the tourneytourney allowing customs?

I hate typing on this tablet....

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
His recovery is fine, not the best but it's decent. Yes, if you're forced to use final cutter while recovering low there's a good chance you'll get gimped, but other than that Kirby can usually make it back to the stage with relative easy. Having five jumps and being floaty means you can "hover" there to bait an attack, or to mix up your recovery, or whatever.
Now with Upper cutter though, that's a different story...
Having five jumps with bad aerial mobility isn't good though. The reward is well worth the risk for getting a hit offstage. Just don't get too greedy and you will usually be safe going for the gimp against Kirby.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
Wow...surprised the Kirby boards have such a low view on their character XD. Personally I think Kirby could win a regional. Why? Simply put Kirby has the comeback tools. Any character with a strong comeback game has the potential to win. Kirby can Gimp early and has a strong grab and aerial combo game. Meaning? He can rack up damage and kill early. All tools of tourney winning characters. XD I'll show you guys. First my state (which in hindsight is a pretty low goal) then the mid-west then country. And yes Disjointed Hit Boxes and Projectiles suck, but most projectiles you can get if you play smart. As for Disjointed hitboxes? Power Shielding and good reactions are your friends.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Wow...surprised the Kirby boards have such a low view on their character XD. Personally I think Kirby could win a regional. Why? Simply put Kirby has the comeback tools. Any character with a strong comeback game has the potential to win. Kirby can Gimp early and has a strong grab and aerial combo game. Meaning? He can rack up damage and kill early. All tools of tourney winning characters. XD I'll show you guys. First my state (which in hindsight is a pretty low goal) then the mid-west then country. And yes Disjointed Hit Boxes and Projectiles suck, but most projectiles you can get if you play smart. As for Disjointed hitboxes? Power Shielding and good reactions are your friends.
Dude, I love Kirby! I think he has a lot of potential, and he's really fun to use. He's not exactly top tier material, but he's mid tier at the very least.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
Dude, I love Kirby! I think he has a lot of potential, and he's really fun to use. He's not exactly top tier material, but he's mid tier at the very least.
I think with custom's he's got a case for High tier/Ike level Top tier. But Kirby is mainly Mid/High tier currently due to some of his physical attributes rather then his attacks. Also no offense to the Kirby boards but this isn't exaclty the most Technical place. But with Fox Trot Canceling and Fox Trots in general Kirby is much more solid speed wise.

Top Bottom