• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Been playing Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Kirby Super Star with @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima . I almost feel like a Kirby expert every time I explain or show silly glitches in the games to him.

Like the one where you throw "Marx" in KSS. Honestly I'm kind of bored and burned out of Smash.
Haha, I've gotten bored of Smash myself and stopped playing to finish other games instead.

I LOVE KSS and have played it more times than I can count.

I like the glitch where you're in GCO and somehow you end up in a Marx battle. In the Ultra version, Marx looks weird when it happen.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
Dear god, it's hot. 46 degrees and extremely windy here in Oz. I think it's time for some Smash!

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Mushroom Kingdom U. Stage is banned however. Those reddit comments tho. It's supposed to be a joke and they take it like it's a serious thing. Yeesh. Anywho, I'm gonna leave these here.

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Just won my first custom tournament as Custom Kirby. Woot Woot!
Awesome job! I really think this sums up my mood right now (forgive me for the generated meme):

All jokes aside, congrats on the win! I'm guessing you used 3231 for customs?

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Surprisingly, yes I was using that custom set. Which is weird because I'm usually a Giant Hammer and Final Cutter type of guy but Upper Cutter did wonders and I am a believer.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Does anyone else have people fall out of their Dairs pretty often? It happens much more than I would like, I think multihit moves needs fixes :/ I miss a lot of dair->footstools, or just plain dair meteors, because they end up above kirby.

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Does anyone else have people fall out of their Dairs pretty often? It happens much more than I would like, I think multihit moves needs fixes :/ I miss a lot of dair->footstools, or just plain dair meteors, because they end up above kirby.
Well, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that the Mewtwo addition may have some bugfixes with it, but we will have to wait and see what happens first.

I honestly have not experienced that problem much, to be honest...also, D-Air to footstool? I didn't know that was a thing. Hopefully it helps a bit with how unsafe D-Air is on shielded opponents.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I'm talking about offstage Dair. You Dair, and then if they're not at too high percent, they won't fall far, but they'll still be in some hitstun, so you can followup with a footstool to send them farther down. At high percents, Dair alone should do the trick because it meteors them pretty far down. A lot of the time though I've been noticing that I Dair people, and as I'm drilling downward, they kinda stay in the same spot and pop out above Kirby, so they don't get meteored. I don't know if I'm fastfalling it when I shouldn't be, or if multihits are just kinda glitchy. Greninja's Upair, for example, is glitchy so that people randomly fall out of it. This only happens in the current patch, it didn't have problems on the 3DS in version 1.0.3.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I don't know if I'm fastfalling it when I shouldn't be, or if multihits are just kinda glitchy.
Multi-hits for Kirby got less reliable after the 1.0.4 patch. Dash Attack used to work just fine. Now not only do opponents randomly drop out of it they also hit me as they mash attack (which is usually a N-air).

D-air may be suffering from this as well, but I haven't noticed it making a difference in my off-stage gimps. I'm guessing you might be fast falling when you shouldn't be. Watch your opponent as you drill and only fast fall to follow someone who is going down too fast. (I favor fast falling at the very end of the D-air before I go for a Footstool).

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Hi, and welcome. Are you new to Smash in general or just new to maining Kirby?

Triple R

Smash Lord
Went to a small game store tourney last night with 8 people. Only top player that went so it was an easy win, but definitely learn every time I play so far.

Peach's side b is so safe on shield, best to spotdodge and punish if you react to it. I think this could work at least.

Lucario is really hard to edgeguard at high percents. Since he goes so far, he can just curve around any dair attempts. Seems like in general it's best to stay very close to the stage to edgeguard Lucario.

Can't think of anything else at the moment

Saw MikeKirby on Teamspooky's stream tonight. Good job Mike! I was watching and supporting.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I went to a small free tournament too and got second! Like Mike did except his tourney turnout was much more impressive.... I can't wait to watch his vods tomorrow, and mine will also be available.

I learned that sonic can bait you as he tries to land, much like kirby can with his multiple jumps. Just before he lands I try to punish with a grab, he homing attacks, which makes him rise up slightly, and punishes grab whiffs. Of course I can wait and see if he uses b so I can adjust, but the options are still clearly in sonics hands. Unfun matchup.

2Mixer

Smash Apprentice
Good Job there my fellow Kirbies!

Also myself, In Germany there is a big tournament in this month, i make sure to kick some asses there!

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
A bit of an aside here, but I'm almost done with my No-Hammer Completion of all the Challenges (thank goodness). The two big ones in my way right now are the "300000G" one and the "20 Turns With Mario On Crazy Orders." After that, it should be smooth sailing.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Don't forget that "300000g" means you have to have that much money on you at once, not total. Sigh the challenges are so vague... I thought that challenge just meant "earn 300000 lifetime total" but nope, you have to save it. Easiest way to do it is to go on spectate, find a 10.0 ratio to bet on, win, and then winning streak. You can get 100,000 if you bet on 3 10.0s and get super lucky. I still have 30something challenges left, which I'll probably never do because they're ridiculously hard or time consuming. I still haven't even gotten all the custom moves... I have about 43 left to get, and when I grind I get them at about a rate of 1 every 15 minutes... if I'm lucky. It's ridiculous.

Zoidberg747

Smash Rookie
I went to a small free tournament too and got second! Like Mike did except his tourney turnout was much more impressive.... I can't wait to watch his vods tomorrow, and mine will also be available.

I learned that sonic can bait you as he tries to land, much like kirby can with his multiple jumps. Just before he lands I try to punish with a grab, he homing attacks, which makes him rise up slightly, and punishes grab whiffs. Of course I can wait and see if he uses b so I can adjust, but the options are still clearly in sonics hands. Unfun matchup.
Tell me about it. Might be one of my least favorite matchups to play.

Good job on your tourney. Thankfully I live in a pretty thriving FG scene but havent had too much success finding tourney's for smash 4 yet. Hopefully they start popping up eventually.

Sup3rn00b

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sup3rn00b
3DS FC
4398-9309-7838
Yo. Been playing sm4sh for a while now. Kirby being my favorite video game character was, oddly enough, set aside when it came time to smash. But now I think it's time to learn how to master my favorite super tough pink puff.

SmashConQueso

Smash Rookie
I may enter, although I'm not so sure as of now. I'm going to be a bit more busy than usual next month, as the new year starts up. It'd be pretty fun to go to, I'm sure! Hopefully I can arrange some time off so I can come.

I dunno though, we'll see.

:kirby:
Hope some time clears up for you to enjoy the tournament! My friends and I will make the drive from San Diego early in the morning, so here's hoping for plenty of time to play friendlies. I'll be focusing on Brawl because Kirby is ridiculously fun and a legitimately amazing character but criminally underplayed, a problem he faced even during the game's peak popularity. I'm open for friendlies in either game, though! Let's give the little guy a strong showing.

Kirbymeister

Smash Cadet
NNID
hazzahbazzah
3DS FC
3823-8971-1294

Good job! wish I could go to a tournament, but they're pretty sparse here...
the sonic info is interesting. maybe I should check out your vids, see how you went!

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Haha, I've gotten bored of Smash myself and stopped playing to finish other games instead.

I LOVE KSS and have played it more times than I can count.

I like the glitch where you're in GCO and somehow you end up in a Marx battle. In the Ultra version, Marx looks weird when it happen.
I never did that glitch, how do you do it?

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
We shoudl make @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima play with us. Feed him to Jho! Or introduce him to the hipcheck!

"HEY!" *hipcheck*

Also I showed this glitch to Reserved when we were playing KSS, and then he just had to swim through the air as we went through second part of peanut plains. He swam everywhere while I slaved away, breaking blocks and killing enemies. Kirby doesn't need to fly!

I'm also a fan of this glitch.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Bros. Monado Kirby is high tier. I killed with dash attack (Smash) and strung together uairs and fairs like it was nothing (Buster). Once you get the hang of knowing exactly how many button presses do what, it's so smooth.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
We shoudl make @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima play with us. Feed him to Jho! Or introduce him to the hipcheck!

"HEY!" *hipcheck*

Also I showed this glitch to Reserved when we were playing KSS, and then he just had to swim through the air as we went through second part of peanut plains. He swam everywhere while I slaved away, breaking blocks and killing enemies. Kirby doesn't need to fly!

I'm also a fan of this glitch.

OMG THESE ARE SO AWESOME *o*

You would so appreciate this. OH the glorious KSS!

This one doesn't have any glitches or goofiness but it's damn impressive. 1p harms Kirby with bombs until 1 hp than switches to 2p and protects an idle Kirby during a arena run. It's just a badass arena run.

(also it was fun playing MH. We can discuss more MH vias skype or messages)

Last edited:

Triple R

Smash Lord
Went to a local store tourney last night.

Got 3rd out of 22. Pretty disappointed, but it was a good learning experience.

WF was against a Shulk. Don't feel too bad about this matchup. Very doable and doesn't feel too far in anyone's favor.

LF is where I feel like I got bodied. Played against Mario. Feels like Mario is on steroids now. Not sure if it's Kirby's physics or if it happens to most characters, but if I tried to airdodge through uair strings I was getting hit with another move on the way down. I guess I could try to fast fall before I airdodge, but Mario feels like he has for free built in frame traps. Guess you can take them until you jump or jump airdodge out. Uair seems to have really good range too, couldn't seem to challenge it. First time playing against a good Mario, and it was an eye opener.

It was a 3 stock tourney too. At this point I think I'm definitely feeling 2 stocks for smash 4. Games just go toooo long if both people want to win and play safe.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yeah, I haven't played a good mario offline yet, but I've had some trouble online with some. I'm still in denial though, I beat so many marios so easily in brawl, and now kirby is "better," how could I lose? But mario is legitimately a great character.

Just DI up and jump away from upair strings, I believe.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Yeah, I haven't played a good mario offline yet, but I've had some trouble online with some. I'm still in denial though, I beat so many marios so easily in brawl, and now kirby is "better," how could I lose? But mario is legitimately a great character.

Just DI up and jump away from upair strings, I believe.
How do you even find tournaments. I can't even find any near me which sucks since I really want to get into the scene.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
You could also search Facebook for local players, that's where I found some. MD/VA seems like an active region with a lot of high level players.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Mario is really good character. He's reminiscent of his N64 days, but with what looks like Project M influences thrown in. He's only going to get better as people learn to use him.

Kirby may have got tweaks here and there, but Mario got flat out pumped.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Multi-hits for Kirby got less reliable after the 1.0.4 patch. Dash Attack used to work just fine. Now not only do opponents randomly drop out of it they also hit me as they mash attack (which is usually a N-air).

D-air may be suffering from this as well, but I haven't noticed it making a difference in my off-stage gimps. I'm guessing you might be fast falling when you shouldn't be. Watch your opponent as you drill and only fast fall to follow someone who is going down too fast. (I favor fast falling at the very end of the D-air before I go for a Footstool).
So I'm not crazy! I thought that was odd, I'd never noticed people escaping Dash Attack before 1.0.4
That aside, hey! I said it in the guide thread briefly, but I'm Zethoro, and I've been maining/secondary...ing? kirby since 64. He's always been one of my go-to characters, and this time is no different. Even though he's my 3rd character in Sm4sh instead of 2nd like he usually is, I'll be around the Kirby boards fairly often. Nice meeting you guys.

Top Bottom