• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby series = OVERUSED in Brawl

bleyva

Smash Ace
Kirby isn't portrayed as Mario's rival in Smash; nowhere is that outright implied. Sure, they fight each other in SSE, but does that really mean anything? The SSE is just a random storyline.

When Sakurai made the game, he tried to give every character an equal fighting chance. The fact that no characters (especially not Miyamoto's) are outright terrible shows that the correlation to a fan-made tier list is more likely than not just a consequence of the difficulty of balancing a game with so many characters.
1) If the opening sequence of Sakurai's very first attempt at a Smash Adventure depicts an epic battle between nintendo's flagship character and KIRBY, that demonstrates Sakurai's belief that they are on the same level. ridiculous.

IMO, the opening battle of SSE wouldve worked with one of only four battle scenerio's; either Mario vs Luigi, Mario vs DK, Mario vs Link (the OTHER big nintendo franchise), or Mario vs Bowser (wouldve made the most sense). i see no reason for kirby.

2) Now, about that second part...i agree that balancing a ssb roster is difficult, but not so difficult that you cant see absurd inconsistencies in character makeup. If there are no outright terrible characters, then what would you call Captain Falcon or Ganondorf?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
also, it's Mario vs. Link vs. Kirby vs. Pikachu that's the rival battle. yes, it's sometimes Mario vs. Kirby, but it was also Mario vs. Link in the intro of Melee, Mario vs. Pikachu on the 64 cover, vs. Pika and Link(and Bowser) on the Melee cover, and Mario vs. all 3 in the Brawl trailer.

. If there are no outright terrible characters, then what would you call Captain Falcon or Ganondorf?
what Kirby was in Melee. which Ironically, might have been the last nail on the Kirby favrotism theory.

justaway12

Smash Master
IMO, the opening battle of SSE wouldve worked with one of only three battle scenerio's; either Mario vs Luigi, Mario vs Link (the OTHER big nintendo franchise), or Mario vs Bowser (wouldve made the most sense). i see no reason for kirby.

I honestly don't think that would work, Luigi and Bowser are Mario characters and isn't this game supposed to be about Nintendo characters getting together, not just Mario characters? And I personally am glad Link didn't make it aswell since Peach and Zelda got trapped right after and Mario and Link are their heros, maybe it's just me but I think it wouldn't be right if Mario saved Zelda and left Peach. I do think Kirby worked.

Just my .02

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Now I know many people already know this, but i'd like to point out in greater detail how terribly overused the Kirby series are in Brawl.

Of course this game is made by Sakurai himself, so it makes sense that Kirby gets some extra recognition in the game, but he just goes WAY too far this time. Kirby isn't even THAT popular to begin with compared to Mario, Sonic, Zelda, Donkey Kong etc.

First, the Kirby characters. All 3 of them are considered REALLY good characters, Meta Jesus needs no introduction, D3 is also totally awesome, and Kirby's good as well.
While some of Nintendo's most popular and loveable characters (Mario, Link, Samus) are considered pretty darn terrible. And these are the flagship characters we're talking about. These three are the top sellers, the main guys. Yet they're freaking terrible characters.

Now, take a look at Subspace Emissary. If you're familiar with Kirby you'll see how similar the levels are compared to Kirby games. The way you fight enemies and bosses by beating them up, all the different healing items and food, the overall style is A LOT like Kirby.

And it's not just obvious ingame. In the story of SSE, Kirby characters play a HUGE role more than any other character. MK's halberd is being used by the bad guys to spread chaos, without the Halberd it wouldn't have been so easy. Mario gets blown away out of the stadium right away when the Halberd appears, while Kirby rescues the princess. Oh but it gets better. (SPOILERS AHEAD)

During the big fight against the Subspace cannon, where the Great Maze lies, while the Starfox ship gets blown away, It's Kirby who destroys the cannon with the dragoon. That's BS.

And when Tabuu turns everyone into trophies, some characters are revived thanks to D3's magical buttons, this saves some characters so they can rescue the others. Without the buttons, who knows what Tabuu could've done, right?

I don't have much more to say, but it had to be said (once again) how obvious it is. Yeah...
Feel free to discuss this matter.

Also... as for tl;dr... Sakurai: *laughs*
dude brawl is the sequal to Meta knight's revenge you didn't know that?

I honestly don't think that would work, Luigi and Bowser are Mario characters and isn't this game supposed to be about Nintendo characters getting together, not just Mario characters? And I personally am glad Link didn't make it aswell since Peach and Zelda got trapped right after and Mario and Link are their heros, maybe it's just me but I think it wouldn't be right if Mario saved Zelda and left Peach. I do think Kirby worked.

Just my .02
I completely agree. It would be too... Simple if Link or Mario saved their respective princesses, Kirby needs to help royalty every once in a while, does he not?

Sadly, I think that the Legend of Zelda characters did not get enough 'shine' in Brawl. Even bloody Pit seems to play a larger part than Link. I wonder why Link was downgraded in Brawl? Maybe Miyamoto never liked the poor hero.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
1) If the opening sequence of Sakurai's very first attempt at a Smash Adventure depicts an epic battle between nintendo's flagship character and KIRBY, that demonstrates Sakurai's belief that they are on the same level. ridiculous.

IMO, the opening battle of SSE wouldve worked with one of only four battle scenerio's; either Mario vs Luigi, Mario vs DK, Mario vs Link (the OTHER big nintendo franchise), or Mario vs Bowser (wouldve made the most sense). i see no reason for kirby.

2) Now, about that second part...i agree that balancing a ssb roster is difficult, but not so difficult that you cant see absurd inconsistencies in character makeup. If there are no outright terrible characters, then what would you call Captain Falcon or Ganondorf?
Ridiculous? The whole plot of the SSE is pretty ridiculous. It's a totally random, non-canonical storyline. I don't see the big deal in Sakurai using the characters that he created and knows the best more often.

Captain Falcon and Ganondorf aren't terrible. Sure, in the competitive environment, they're not exactly popular, but relatively few Smash fans are aware of this.

bleyva

Smash Ace
Ridiculous? The whole plot of the SSE is pretty ridiculous. It's a totally random, non-canonical storyline.
thats exactly what ive been getting to. nintendo characters are one-demensional entities with zero dialogue. the SSE storyline should have been the easiest thing in the world to write. hows this; ALL THE NINTENDO BAD GUYS GET TOGETHER TO TAKE OVER THE SMASH/NINTENDO UNIVERSE, BUT THEN ALL THE NINTENDO GOOD GUYS GET TOGETHER TO STOP THEM.

and yet, sakurai manages to mess it up with nonsensical battles (mario vs kirby) and stupid madeup enemies (ie mites).

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
thats exactly what ive been getting to. nintendo characters are one-demensional entities with zero dialogue. the SSE storyline should have been the easiest thing in the world to write. hows this; ALL THE NINTENDO BAD GUYS GET TOGETHER TO TAKE OVER THE SMASH/NINTENDO UNIVERSE, BUT THEN ALL THE NINTENDO GOOD GUYS GET TOGETHER TO STOP THEM.

and yet, sakurai manages to mess it up with nonsensical battles (mario vs kirby) and stupid madeup enemies (ie mites).
Well, apparently there's a whole different universe that the Smash games take place in (which explains the non-canonicity). I guess it's inhabited by all those weird creatures.

As for the plot, it basically does boil down to what you said. I still don't see how having Mario fight Kirby at the beginning was "nonsensical". Smash is pretty much nonsensica as a whole, if you think about it.

bleyva

Smash Ace
ya know, the more i think about it, ive been sounding pretty ungrateful towards the guy that provided my favorite gaming franchise.

even though i still think mario vs kirby is a little goofy, in the big picture its a pretty small price to pay for an awesome game.

i guess ill stop *****ing

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I think it's time to throw some statistics in this discussion. VGChartz has listed sales for next to everyone game and I think you can trust the numbers they listed, but some data is incomplete. The sale numbers are divided into three regions: Japan, NA and others (Europe and Australia).

So, you can easy compare the Metroid series to the Kirby series.

The results:
Kirby series
Metroid series
Compare the sales of both series in NA and Japan (and ignore the VC-Games listed)

#1 Kirby games sell very well, better than Metroid games
#2 The Metroid games are strong in NA and Europe, but Kirby games are even better selling in these regions.
#3 Most important: Metroid games are very unpopular in Japan, because this genre is very unpopular in Japan. You can call the series unimportant and minor when looking at the sales of the series. The last game that sold well in Japan was Super Metroid for the SNES. That's 15 years ago.
#4 The Kirby series are very strong in Japan.
#5 Both series have a lot of recent games.

-> The Kirby series are by far more important than the Metroid series and the Star Fox series for Nintendo. It's not wrong having the Kirby series at #4 after Pokémon, the Mario series and the LoZ. 3 characters and 2 stages is a good representation for Kirby.

The SSE isn't. There's way too much Kirby representation in the SSE, all Kirby characters are very important, the series got much more representation than necessary.

As for the Kirby characters being too strong (-> bias):
I somehow think it could be biased, that they're too strong. It's unrealistic that Sora Ltd. didn't found the D3 CG/infinite (as example). The first videos of free play we've got from the Brawl demo before JPN-Release showed us that D3 could CG. Kirby needed a buff, he's a decent char and he's no way overpowered. Yeah, Meta Knight... I don't think I need to say something about him, it may bias that he is like in Brawl...

I think many people forget about Melee. Both SF-characters were top tier and Kirby was just horrbile. Not only as a character itself, the representation of the Kirby series was also horrible. In my opinion Melee-Kirby is the worst character for competitive play compared to the rooster in all three smash games and the nerf from SSB64-Kirby to Melee-Kirby was also the biggest one in smash's history.

What are all people saying that the SSE is like a Kirby game? The whole Smash series is a Kirby game. The reason why Smash is like Smash and not like other fighters is that HAL created the first Smash game and they took the basic mechanics from Kirby: Super Star (awesome game btw). Also most ideas introducted in the Smash series have their origin in the Kirby games.

That's my opinion. I thought it's time to register on Smashboards, because I'm reading it for years, but I never had the need to write something in this forum. My English is bad, because it's not my first language and I was very lazy in school. ;)
also, it's Mario vs. Link vs. Kirby vs. Pikachu that's the rival battle. yes, it's sometimes Mario vs. Kirby, but it was also Mario vs. Link in the intro of Melee, Mario vs. Pikachu on the 64 cover, vs. Pika and Link(and Bowser) on the Melee cover, and Mario vs. all 3 in the Brawl trailer.

what Kirby was in Melee. which Ironically, might have been the last nail on the Kirby favrotism theory.
Smart posts. Read them well.

@flyinfilipino: Miyamato's characters deserve to be broken LMAO. It's BS how Sakurai's creations are S/A/B tier while Miyamato's creations are utter crap. Even in the SSE, Mario,Link, Samus and the like did NOTHING. They just followed around while Kirby took the spotlight.

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit too serious with this, it just annoys me.
For the record, Miyamoto had and has nothing to do with Samus. Furthermore, five of the top six characters in the most recent Melee tier list (it should probably be top seven) are associated with Miyamoto. Kirby is arguably the worst (Pichu is currently put there, but most players think otherwise).

The Kirby characters just turned out better in Brawl.

BG3

Smash Journeyman
The bottom line of what me and bleyva are trying to get at is that Kirby was overly represented in brawl, moreso than any other smash game in the series. Throughout the series history, not one franchise has been this overrepresented like the Kirby series is. One might argue that this is true only because Brawl has the most content, however it was Sakurai behind the developers seat approving of all of this. Connect the dots my friend, good characters+an entire adventure mode dedicated to his series+huge undeserving amount of trophies+most remixed and well made songs+arguably best amount of stickers =coincidence?

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
good characters
Sakurai made the characters balanced for Brawls with items on. That's how the game was meant to be played.

an entire adventure mode dedicated to his series
Why wasn't there any Kirby enemies, then? Shouldn't we have gotten a boss fight with the likes of Kracko, Dyna Blade, or even the Combo Cannon?

huge undeserving amount of trophies
So he had a bunch of trophies that showed off his copy abilities? Take a look at Melee. There were a lot more Kirby trophies there then any other franchise as well.

most remixed and well made songs
Ugh. You make it sound like Sakurai personally made the songs. Jun Ishikawa's songs were already great compositions. They were just remixed, with a few of the original songs put in. Also, saying Kirby has the most songs is a lie. Mario by far has the most music in this game. Kirby only had two stages to put the music on.

arguably best amount of stickers
Actually, in regards to amount, that would apply to the, wouldn't you know, Mario series.

Also, saying that in Brawl Kirby is the best represented series compared to the entirety of Smash is BS. That title goes to, you guessed it, Mario. 2 characters in the original game, the most stages in the original game, and Bowser was supposed to be in the original game. in melee they have 5 characters and the most stages, which means the most songs, and probably the most trophies outside of Kirby. In brawl, 4 characters, Doc was supposed to return, again, the most trophies and stickers outside of Kirby, and the most stages and songs.

Pokemon is also more represented than Kirby. It has 6 characters in Brawl, and Mewtwo was going to return. Pokemon also has 3 stages, and probably just as much music as Kirby. Not to mention the variety of trophies and stickers they have due to the numerous amount of Pokemon there is. Plus we have the Pokeball item....which is the most varied item in the game.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Let me make it simple. I'll give a scenario.

Say you were a creator of a uber popular game series, and then was asked to do a whole crossover with other uber popular game series. Think about this, wouldn't YOU take advantage of the fact you're pretty much in charge and could put whatever you want? OF COURSE SAKURAI WAS BOUND TO DO THIS, IT'S NOT THAT HARD.

Metaknight being top tier was also bound to happen, too. Did no one see that coming at all?
Also:
so by this comics implication sakurai means to troll nintendo [triforce]

ShinoBee

Smash Apprentice
so by this comics implication sakurai means to troll nintendo [triforce]
Sakurai trolled everyone. Wasn't that obvious?

But sheesh, I would've taken advantage and made my characters uber powerful/major parts in a crossover game. :)

BG3

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai made the characters balanced for Brawls with items on. That's how the game was meant to be played.

Even with items on, MK still is vastly superior to the cast. Heck, he's even more broken with items on TBH, while some characters like Ganon are worse because they can't get them in time.

Why wasn't there any Kirby enemies, then? Shouldn't we have gotten a boss fight with the likes of Kracko, Dyna Blade, or even the Combo Cannon?

Ridley and Meta Ridley played very akward compared to their Metroid counterparts. For god's sake, Meta Ridley uses one of Dyna Blade's attacks! Tabuu also fights very similar to a Kirby final boss(I think he's kind of like Marx aswell). Even when Kirby is out of the picture, Sakurai still finds a way to show off some part of his series in some stupid way. So really, the adventure mode IMHO was a Kirby adventure, not a Smash adventure.

So he had a bunch of trophies that showed off his copy abilities? Take a look at Melee. There were a lot more Kirby trophies there then any other franchise as well.

If Kirby has a lot of trophies then many other series should have lots of trophies aswell too. You can't say "well there's many things to cover in the Kirby series", because there is many things to cover in almost every series in this game. Some important series such as Fire Emblem which have many important things to note have a measly 9 amount of trophies.

Ugh. You make it sound like Sakurai personally made the songs. Jun Ishikawa's songs were already great compositions. They were just remixed, with a few of the original songs put in. Also, saying Kirby has the most songs is a lie. Mario by far has the most music in this game. Kirby only had two stages to put the music on.

I made this assumption as soon as I heard the Kirby remixes vs. other game series remixes. Seriously, compare Norfair's remix to O2's remix. You'll get what I'm saying. Also, even if Mario has more remixed songs than Kirby, it still is pretty dumb to see that the Kirby series has a pretty close amount of remixed songs as the Mario series does.

Actually, in regards to amount, that would apply to the, wouldn't you know, Mario series.

Also, saying that in Brawl Kirby is the best represented series compared to the entirety of Smash is BS. That title goes to, you guessed it, Mario. 2 characters in the original game, the most stages in the original game, and Bowser was supposed to be in the original game. in melee they have 5 characters and the most stages, which means the most songs, and probably the most trophies outside of Kirby. In brawl, 4 characters, Doc was supposed to return, again, the most trophies and stickers outside of Kirby, and the most stages and songs.

Pokemon is also more represented than Kirby. It has 6 characters in Brawl, and Mewtwo was going to return. Pokemon also has 3 stages, and probably just as much music as Kirby. Not to mention the variety of trophies and stickers they have due to the numerous amount of Pokemon there is. Plus we have the Pokeball item....which is the most varied item in the game.
Well, I guess I was wrong to say that it was the most represented in the whole series, but you have to admit that it doesn't deserve the amount it's getting right now. The main thing bothering me with Sakurai's decisions is that he's giving his series fame at the expense of not giving other flagship series its rightful amount of representation. I seriously wouldn't mind all of this Kirby representation if other series were getting an equal or at least a close amount to what Kirby's getting, which seriously isn't the case.

Vect0r

Smash Journeyman
The bottom line of what me and bleyva are trying to get at is that Kirby was overly represented in brawl, moreso than any other smash game in the series. Throughout the series history, not one franchise has been this overrepresented like the Kirby series is. One might argue that this is true only because Brawl has the most content, however it was Sakurai behind the developers seat approving of all of this. Connect the dots my friend, good characters+an entire adventure mode dedicated to his series+huge undeserving amount of trophies+most remixed and well made songs+arguably best amount of stickers =coincidence?
This is exactly what I was saying. Sakurai went too far. Let's hope SSB4 will have an equal presentation of all the popular series.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Yeah, I do see Kirby was really represented this time. I guess I do agree with some of the points you brought up....but I personally found that 02 remix to be bad in comparison with the original.

Lyds

Smash Rookie
Even with items on, MK still is vastly superior to the cast. Heck, he's even more broken with items on TBH, while some characters like Ganon are worse because they can't get them in time.
I think you can expand his point by saying that Brawl was never meant to be played competitive and played with items on. That's how the majority of players play this game. This majority won't recognize MK as best character in the game and only the competitve scene does.

If Kirby has a lot of trophies then many other series should have lots of trophies aswell too. You can't say "well there's many things to cover in the Kirby series", because there is many things to cover in almost every series in this game. Some important series such as Fire Emblem which have many important things to note have a measly 9 amount of trophies.
The number of trophies is determined by their availability of actual 3D-models. These 3D-Models also need to have the right style. That's the reason why some series get next to no trophies, when other gets a lot of them. The team that created Brawl won't make 3D-Models only to have them as trophies. That's the reason why Mother only has trophies of things in Brawl. Whereas Zelda has a lot of trophies of LoZ:WW and especially of LoZ:TP.

Kirby has lots of trophies, because of the cancelled Kirby Wii and because HAL worked on Brawl, so he had an easy time to get all those models. Also, the number isn't way too high, especially when half of the trophies are showing Kirby with different hats.

Most of the Fire Emblem games are on portable consoles, so you don't have any 3D-Models. FE:RD is on the Wii, but the models of the characters don't have the quality to be easy put in the game, so you need to work on the models. The Brawl staff won't have the time and the need to make those models better looking. That's the reason why we have next to no FE-trophies.

Btw. what do you consider the flagship-series / the important series of Nintendo?

altairian

Smash Lord
I think it's funny how many "conspiracy" theories people come up with for popular games. Lets say they did purposely favor Kirby characters/themes while they were creating the game. So what? Does it really matter?

AKC12

Smash Journeyman
sakurai waited 10 years just to add another kirby character. id say the kirby series gets the recognition it freakin deserves.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
sakurai waited 10 years just to add another kirby character. id say the kirby series gets the recognition it freakin deserves.
Yes it does, although having all that Kirby content unleashed in Brawl at once was pretty much equal to an heart attack. If there was a stage based on Mt. Dedede as well, it would have been overkill.

The fact that there is so much Kirby content in that game highlights the fact that most of the series ended up getting less focus.

Sure, it has been said that Sakurai was too modest with the Kirby series content back in the old days of Smash. However, the way that I see it, Sakurai must have been getting tired of the Kirby fans complaining about the lack of Kirby content (playable characters, mainly) that he made up for it in spades in Brawl.

You could say that it was like lifting a burden from his shoulders, though. Since the Kirby series got its due (Mt. Dedede aside), maybe Sakurai will focus on the other series more easily in the future, now. Time will tell if that will be the case.

You may take what I said with a grain of salt, as it is mostly speculation.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
I would've rather had Mt. Dedede over Green Greens. Not the Halberd, though. That model is just too dang sexy.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
PictoChat reminds me of Canvas Curse, so it's the closest Kirby has ever come to a second Brawl stage, if you ask me.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I would've rather had Mt. Dedede Fountain of Dreams over Green Greens. Not the Halberd, though. That model is just too dang sexy.
Fixed for truth.

As much as I love to debate on this again, I'm pretty sure it's no point anymore.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Well yeah, Fountain of Dreams over any Kirbeh stage. Someone just brought up Mt. Dedede.

And I'll be mad if Waddle Dee or Knuckle Joe isn't a playable character in the next game.

'V'

Smash Lord
The kirby characters are all rather easy to pick up and already have very good stats to boot, so more people use them. The kirby stages are all rather bright and pretty.

Fountain of Dreams FTW!!!

BG3

Smash Journeyman
I think you can expand his point by saying that Brawl was never meant to be played competitive and played with items on. That's how the majority of players play this game. This majority won't recognize MK as best character in the game and only the competitve scene does.

The number of trophies is determined by their availability of actual 3D-models. These 3D-Models also need to have the right style. That's the reason why some series get next to no trophies, when other gets a lot of them. The team that created Brawl won't make 3D-Models only to have them as trophies. That's the reason why Mother only has trophies of things in Brawl. Whereas Zelda has a lot of trophies of LoZ:WW and especially of LoZ:TP.

Kirby has lots of trophies, because of the cancelled Kirby Wii and because HAL worked on Brawl, so he had an easy time to get all those models. Also, the number isn't way too high, especially when half of the trophies are showing Kirby with different hats.

Most of the Fire Emblem games are on portable consoles, so you don't have any 3D-Models. FE:RD is on the Wii, but the models of the characters don't have the quality to be easy put in the game, so you need to work on the models. The Brawl staff won't have the time and the need to make those models better looking. That's the reason why we have next to no FE-trophies.

Btw. what do you consider the flagship-series / the important series of Nintendo?
Even if Brawl was meant to drive away competitive players, it's honestly not hard at all to see MK being better than a majority of the characters. I'm not exactly a competitive player myself, but I can pretty easily see MK at the top. It doesn't matter if you have items on or off, MK will still be the one dodging a large amount of the items and get the Poke balls before everyone else. MK will still be the one to gimp you offstage to the point where even trying to recover is pointless. If you want, you could discuss this with a competitive player, and I'm pretty sure he will agree with what I just stated above.

And at the trophy thing, since when was there a cancelled Kirby Wii game? Even then, the FE trophies still have characters like Sothe, Elincia, and Ashnard which show up nowhere in Brawl besides in the trophy section. Surely, if they put characters as trophies in this manner, they could've easlily added on Boyd, Mist, Greil, Miciah, Caineghis, Dheginsea, etc.

Ninja Kirby Nick!

Smash Lord
That's not what your mother said last night Trebek
The kirby characters are all rather easy to pick up and already have very good stats to boot, so more people use them. The kirby stages are all rather bright and pretty.

Fountain of Dreams FTW!!!
Don't forget Meta Knight. Top tier character with...so much spammy attacks it'll make you dizzy :dizzy:.

King Dedede, another top tier character, mauls foes with his giant hammer and down grabs :laugh:

And Kirby, who has improved dramatically since Melee. Seriously. For me, Kirby sucked :(.

I only wish Fountain of Dreams was there instead of Green Greens :ohwell:. Can't tell you how many times I died due to Whispy :mad088:

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Sonic is top tier with items on. He can run fast enough to get any item...plus that broken as heck Final Smash. :p

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
I'm no better with Meta-Knight than I am with Ganondorf, so am I really right to judge the Kirby characters?

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Of course this game is made by Sakurai himself, so it makes sense that Kirby gets some extra recognition in the game, but he just goes WAY too far this time. Kirby isn't even THAT popular to begin with compared to Mario, Sonic, Zelda, Donkey Kong etc.
Kirby is in fact a very popular series, even more than Donkey Kong. Don't forget, Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon have more reps than Kirby in Brawl.

First, the Kirby characters. All 3 of them are considered REALLY good characters, Meta Jesus needs no introduction, D3 is also totally awesome, and Kirby's good as well.
While some of Nintendo's most popular and loveable characters (Mario, Link, Samus) are considered pretty darn terrible. And these are the flagship characters we're talking about. These three are the top sellers, the main guys. Yet they're freaking terrible characters.
So a character needs to be placed on the tier list based on how important they are to Nintendo? I'm not even going to comment on how stupid this is.

Now, take a look at Subspace Emissary. If you're familiar with Kirby you'll see how similar the levels are compared to Kirby games. The way you fight enemies and bosses by beating them up, all the different healing items and food, the overall style is A LOT like Kirby.
Aren't most video game boss fights about beating them up and healing? Mario and Zelda boss fights have this in common, not just Kirby.

And it's not just obvious ingame. In the story of SSE, Kirby characters play a HUGE role more than any other character. MK's halberd is being used by the bad guys to spread chaos, without the Halberd it wouldn't have been so easy. Mario gets blown away out of the stadium right away when the Halberd appears, while Kirby rescues the princess. Oh but it gets better. (SPOILERS AHEAD)
Well, yeah, what did you expect? A GOOD story mode?

During the big fight against the Subspace cannon, where the Great Maze lies, while the Starfox ship gets blown away, It's Kirby who destroys the cannon with the dragoon. That's BS.
Name someone else that could have done it.

And when Tabuu turns everyone into trophies, some characters are revived thanks to D3's magical buttons, this saves some characters so they can rescue the others. Without the buttons, who knows what Tabuu could've done, right?
I don't know, it's not like Sonic could save the day or anything even though he didn't have a button.

Top Bottom