• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Kirby does have a jab lock. Especially with falco's laser.
You can repeat chaingrab depending on character. HURR DURR, U DNT SI ANTHING.
Dthrow does not lead to dtilt, but utilt.
I think All of Kirby's throws can be DI'd.
As said, you can create a wide variety of combo strings with kirby.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
This isn't the first time I've heard of Kirby chain-grabbing with his D-throw. XD
CPUs are notorious for falling for things that a human can avoid with simple maneuvers (such as with a Jump, Dodge, Shield, or just throwing out a quick attack)

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Ok, so I've been practicing how to do Kirby's Quick Rock and I'm coming up about 70% consistant so far (and improving! *fingers crossed*). The thing is what would be good implementations of such a technique? :ohwell: I want to start practicing it in friendlies soon.

Edit: Oh my gosh! I think I discovered something! There is a way to do the Quick Rock in a full run animation! :bee:
*goes plays some more in training*
Edit2: It's pretty hard though. Full walk and "slow" run is more better.
:phone:

BBQTV

Smash Master
what exactly does it mean to "buffer" an attack? i havent played in years and when i did i didnt know what it was back then. i hosted a tourney at my house and i saw a lot of high level players being able to do attacks fast and i think they said that they were buffing their attacks

Labernash

Smash Lord
Buffering is inputting one move during the last 10 frames of another move.

Lets buffer a FSmash out of spot dodge.
Spot dodge, then towards the end of it, input a FSmash.
The FSmash will come out on the earliest frame possible.

The game runs 60 frames per second, so your buffer window is ONE SIXTH of a second. The buffer window is at the end of anything that has lag. (Any attacks, spot dodges, air dodges, etc.)

Pretty handy.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Do an Fsmash at the earliest frame possible.

The earlier you do it, the better chances that your opponent won't react fast enough to dodge or shield due to some attacks or fastfalls that has lag.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
'Buffering', in Smash, is a button input that you enter before completing a prior action.
The input that you enter will take effect on the earliest possible frame if it is received during the 'buffer window'.
Brawl has a buffer window of 10-frames.

A good example for Kirby players is buffering out of B-air. Let's say you Fast Fall a B-air at an opponent who has no damage on them. The B-air is fresh and hits with a sour-spot for 9% damage. How does buffering apply to this?

You know that the window of opportunity to buffer is 10-frames. Looking up Kirby's B-air Landing Lag in the handy Moveset Data shows that Kirby's B-air has 9 frames of Aerial Landing Lag. That means that at any point during Kirby's landing you can enter any input and Kirby will execute that input on the first frame after he recovers from the lag!

Example 2:
You've just used D-tilt on someone's Shield. When can you buffer?
Let's assume you hit when the D-tilt's first active frame comes out on frame 4. (+4 frames)
After that their Shield is hit and you then go through 5-frames of HitLag. (+5 frames)
Then comes the normal 'cool-down' of your attack for another 18 frames. (+18 frames)
Now, if you 'buffered' an input within the previous 10-frames it will begin here (27 frames after the hit).
Since you cannot buffer 27-frames ahead of time, you actually have to wait until the buffer window opens up. This means you actually have to wait 17 frames this time before you can input your buffer and 'wait for it' to execute on frame 27.

I hope the above explanations were helpful and that the examples were fun. I just wanted to clarify that buffering doesn't technically 'make you faster'. Instead, it allows you to get your inputs out of the way ahead of time so you can think and execute things a few frame in advance.

Labernash

Smash Lord
What is the optimal way to DI Meta Knoght's D-smash? I keep getting hit with it and getting thrown directly sideways and die early.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
The best DI for MK's D-smash is obviously up. It does not have the usual '361-degree' angle, instead it has a more horizontal angle to it. This makes it a much more horizontal trajectory when hit at higher percents, and even moreso when the DI isn't perfect.

What I mentioned above is actually the 'most practical' way of DIing his D-smash. The 'most optimal' isn't too practical for most players. I suppose the 'most optimal' would be to SDI during every single frame of HitLag and then DI up during HitStun. The SDI would get you that much farther away from the stage boundary... but, yeah, just make sure you DI up. A fresh D-smash shouldn't be KOing until about 130% from the center of SV.

washy

Smash Apprentice
Is there a preferred nunchuck control scheme for Kirby? My friend who mains kirby altered was the tap jump and he had trouble DIing with kirby's side air with the analog stick so he changed the D-pad on the wii-mote to attack.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Since this is a Q&A thread, I guess I have to answer the above question.

Yes. Yes he is. XD

TheMogX

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys.
TKD and me are thinking we should really train hard for the next APEX. So we will be very active this year. So i hope you guys can help me.

Any good ways to use NAIR?

Any edge guard options?

Any tips against Meta? Like very precise stuff, Killing percent's, etc...

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Oh my gosh! It's THE MogX! I hope to see ya around more. It's great to hear you'll be active! I liked your commentary, by the way. Hilarious! :laugh: Anyway, n-air is a very tricky move. It comes out as fast as F-air and U-air, which is 10 frames (I'm pretty sure). It's a good tool to use to punish someone while keeping them close by for a follow up since N-air has low knockback. It's hard to find thses situations though. Honestly, I use it to get pikmin off of me or my favorite, stop Falco/Fox's Illusion. I might be just me but I feel that I get better results from a nicely timed N-air than a b-air :ohwell:. I has good enough priority to stop them dead in their tracks unless they managed to get through with their invincibility. The low knockback sets them up for a F-smash since if they land they get frame trapped with RCO lag and if stopped at the tip of the ledge they either eat that F-smash or air dodge to their doom (assuming they used their 2nd jump).

Meta Knight? Well... I'm actually not well veresed in Meta Knights KO percents. As for good random tips try to launch him up and bait his D-air and punish with U-air. If you can space it right, Kirby's F-smash>MK F-smash. If you see a MK charging one you can show him why it's a bad idea!! :bee:

Edit: *sees post above* Oh... I wondered where that comment went! :laugh:

TheMogX

Smash Journeyman
Oh my gosh! It's THE MogX! I hope to see ya around more. It's great to hear you'll be active! I liked your commentary, by the way. Hilarious! :laugh: Anyway, n-air is a very tricky move. It comes out as fast as F-air and U-air, which is 10 frames (I'm pretty sure). It's a good tool to use to punish someone while keeping them close by for a follow up since N-air has low knockback. It's hard to find thses situations though. Honestly, I use it to get pikmin off of me or my favorite, stop Falco/Fox's Illusion. I might be just me but I feel that I get better results from a nicely timed N-air than a b-air :ohwell:. I has good enough priority to stop them dead in their tracks unless they managed to get through with their invincibility. The low knockback sets them up for a F-smash since if they land they get frame trapped with RCO lag and if stopped at the tip of the ledge they either eat that F-smash or air dodge to their doom (assuming they used their 2nd jump).

Meta Knight? Well... I'm actually not well veresed in Meta Knights KO percents. As for good random tips try to launch him up and bait his D-air and punish with U-air. If you can space it right, Kirby's F-smash>MK F-smash. If you see a MK charging one you can show him why it's a bad idea!! :bee:

Edit: *sees post above* Oh... I wondered where that comment went! :laugh:
Nice.. Thanks Mike!
I do believe N-AIR can actually shield poke. It works very well also in platforms and causes more knock back to the shield wish is very useful with its landing lag.

All what you say about MK is true. But also MK can read those approaches it depends of who reads who. Since TKD its a monster MK player, he can easily 3 stock me if im not careful. We do believe that the key its to get on stage, just like any other character that has to play against MK. But Kirby can actually beat MK on stage, you can screw up some times on stage and everything will be fine. But you cannot screw up when you want to get back on stage.

APEX has show us that if you get back on stage against MK you can win. But at the end i think is just a patience game.

Thanks for listening.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
That's awesome to hear! TKD and AC were among my favorite players, I really hope you guys make it to the next Apex!

:059:

falln

Smash Ace
MogX has returned! Am i going to be seeing you at genesis 3?

Some stuff I've picked up on:

nair has a neat little hitbox above it and has an easier time shield poking than up air. weak nair combos into stuff at slightly higher percents than uair will. generally if i have a choice between punishing with a bair or nair when i can get both ill go the nair just to keep bair fresh for when i want to kill.

being patient is the best way to edgeguard. not just with kirby but in general. kirby has all the tools that im sure you already know for gimping and edgeguarding people but it just comes down to picking the right moment before you commit. going in too early against someone who looks like they'll recover low will just make them recover high etc.

for mk i think salem and mikeneko proved that what you have to be right now is reactive. pivot grabs, ftilts, and safe back airs are the best way to go about this. also what i learned from watching apex is that you must be very safe until you get to your optimal position. especially against mk, you really want to avoid fighting him until you're properly set up on the ground.

sometimes you want fire to get the clutch kills, but i think the future of kirby is mostly water

TheMogX

Smash Journeyman
MogX has returned! Am i going to be seeing you at genesis 3?

Some stuff I've picked up on:

nair has a neat little hitbox above it and has an easier time shield poking than up air. weak nair combos into stuff at slightly higher percents than uair will. generally if i have a choice between punishing with a bair or nair when i can get both ill go the nair just to keep bair fresh for when i want to kill.

being patient is the best way to edgeguard. not just with kirby but in general. kirby has all the tools that im sure you already know for gimping and edgeguarding people but it just comes down to picking the right moment before you commit. going in too early against someone who looks like they'll recover low will just make them recover high etc.

for mk i think salem and mikeneko proved that what you have to be right now is reactive. pivot grabs, ftilts, and safe back airs are the best way to go about this. also what i learned from watching apex is that you must be very safe until you get to your optimal position. especially against mk, you really want to avoid fighting him until you're properly set up on the ground.

sometimes you want fire to get the clutch kills, but i think the future of kirby is mostly water
Hey Fallen, glad to be back.
Yeah, I believe everyone is giving a second chance to brawl even if you are not retired.

Water? more like earth! ha ha just kidding.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Guys, I need a lot of MK advice. :(

The more MU experience I get, the harder it seems. I haven't figured out how or what to do.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Yeah, Meta Knight is a really hard match-up... Don't ever let him get under you... Anyway, what exactly do you have trouble with? It'd be cool if there was a video so we could all see~

Labernash

Smash Lord
Well, it seems that he can just shield anything I do and punish it like nothing. So I try to go for punishes. You can't punish the nerd! The only time I get anything is of he messes up his spacing like poop and I can shield grab his fair. After that 11%, he can just pick back up his spacing and get me to percent and take my stock.

I'll try and get a set recorded tomorrow so you can see specifics. Granted, the best MK I have access to is a lot worse than me, but it does even out cause of MK I guess but I won't be losing.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Have six videos going to be uploaded soon. I filtered through about 15 of them and picked the ones where I struggled more and neither of us SD'd all our stocks.

First off, my inputs are REALLY bad. For some reason, my inputs turned to poop sometime last year. But I make it work. I lose matches sometimes because of an uair turning into downb but it's whatevs. :/ Also, my first matches were bad. I lost the very first one, but I started adapting. Per usual.

I had to get rid of some awesome matches though. Mad combos and hard reads but I kept the regular ones where I struggled. My stone KO's are too true.

I AM STONE KIRBY!

Labernash

Smash Lord
Stoning an MK out of his shuttle loop is easy and satisfying haha! I did it on accident one time in tourney and ever since, I've been doing it.

Falln.

One time I gimped a Bowser from a copied Fire Breath.

Top Bottom