• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Help Desk: FAQ & Links & Introductions, ASK HERE! (Soon Resuming)

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
1. Yes but you can connect an Fthrow>Uair on pretty much any character. For some reason though sometimes when I play shiek players if they DI down left sometimes they get in a position where my Uair misses? So to be safe I would just downthrow and utilts on shieks.

2. Well all that really does is change the location of the hitbox. Generally you wouldn't want to hit the upangled ones since that sends them at an angle that is easy to survive.

3. Just hold the direction you need to DI in as you are being hit (best to start holding a direction when you see an attack coming for you) You want to DI up for horizontal attacks and left/right for vertical attacks. Also you want to DI yourself so you go towards the corner sometimes rather than going too far up since the corner has the farthest death zone.

You can jump again sooner by doing a bair. Also hammer sorta stops kirbys momentum a bit. DownB is a good way to fall back towards the stage but make sure you cancel out in a way that you are safe from attack (generally don't fall all the way back into the ground.)
On DI. i find DIing UP is less useful than in melee. i find with the lower Kill zones its usually best to DI at a 45 degree angle from up towards the corner you want to go to on horizontal hits. i Very rarely DI straight up. sometimes its better with Kirby to DI towards the downwards Kill zone.

Royale

Smash Journeyman
has there been much discussion on how to gimp using kirbys Dair?

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
has there been much discussion on how to gimp using kirbys Dair?
I can give a crash course for d-air...

D-air is a meteor smash and can be meteor canceled. It has a bit of start-up lag, so it is recommended for slower, predictable recoveries like Lucas' PK Thunder. Speedier recoveries like Fox's Space Illusion are harder to hit, making d-air less effective. It is possible to end d-air with a footstool jump.

B-air is usually the choice move for edge-guarding horizontally. D-air can still be used against a vertical recovery. For example, Kirby has grabbed on the ledge and the opponent is a character length underneath. Kirby can fast-fall a d-air, and force the opponent farther down, possibly even into the blast zone.

Hope this helps :).

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
12. Well all that really does is change the location of the hitbox. Generally you wouldn't want to hit the upangled ones since that sends them at an angle that is easy to survive.
The up-angled F-smash deals more damage (+1%), but you're right that it sends them at a higher angle which can make it easier to survive. However, especially at higher percents, an up-angled F-smash will KO off the top since they have to DI upward vs. the horizontal momentum. If you miss the sweetspot of the F-smash, it will also have a more pronounced vertical hit, which can cause them to actually be DI'ing with the attack.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman

D-air is a meteor smash and can be meteor canceled. It has a bit of start-up lag, so it is recommended for slower, predictable recoveries like Lucas' PK Thunder. Speedier recoveries like Fox's Space Illusion are harder to hit, making d-air less effective. It is possible to end d-air with a footstool jump.

B-air is usually the choice move for edge-guarding horizontally. D-air can still be used against a vertical recovery. For example, Kirby has grabbed on the ledge and the opponent is a character length underneath. Kirby can fast-fall a d-air, and force the opponent farther down, possibly even into the blast zone.

D air's more useful than that. Kirby has an awesome recovery vertically so if ANY opponent (meaning including MK) is below the ledge FF into them with a D air can usually gimp KO. Illusion isn't THAT hard to hit. just position yourself above the middle part of it and d air. but your right for horizontal recoveries such as this B air is more effective since D air (especially when you don't get the last hit) has a very weak meteor smash.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
thx for the answers, so Dair when I been hit vertically and Hammer when horizontal.
Actually, I learned in a different thread that specials don't work right away, just airdodges and aerials. So after you get hit, use Bair regardless of the direction. It's the fastest aerial, both in startup and ending, and it gives you control back sooner, so you can jump. And when you're hit vertically, di left or right, and di vertically when hit horizontally.
Can kirby do one of the AT's where you can slide (for example: Dacus)
I don't know what Dacus is, but if you're talking about like Snake's mortar slide/Link/Wolf's longer dash cancel up smash, no Kirby can't do that :(

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Its the same, so he can't do another slide attack like pivot grab cancel or something :(
Pivot grab cancel? O_o

He can run, and if you press reverse+grab at the same time, he'll grab in the opposite direction...

You know what's also fun, but hard to pull off? You know how you can press B and instantly press opposite direction on the control stick, so you Inhale in the opposite direction? Yeah, you can do that same with Side B hammer. What's cool is you can run, and say your opponent just shields or spotdodges anticipating an attack or grab. You run directly behind them, press forward+B for the hammer, but instantly reverse it, for a reversed ground hammer.

I have yet to actually DO this, but I always thought it would be an epic way to ko someone >_>

And if you're just looking for tips, dash+instant C-stick down leads to an immediate dash attack, it can be good for catching your opponents off guard. All characters can do this, but Kirby's dash attack is pretty good imo.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
^I can only pivot to f-smash...

:(
I think I'm missing something...I've never practiced this "pivot" thing, other than fooling around in wifi practice stage. If you run, and stop, and then hit opposite direction, it makes 2 cool skidding noises.

Anyway, that's not why I'm posting. I need SERIOUS HELP.

Where's a website where I can purchase Kirby T-shirts? O_O I can't find anything!

^ I think that's the first time I've ever changed my font color.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Wow, I looked all over and I couldn't find any Kirby t-shirts. You might want to just make them yourself with iron-ons.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Wow, I looked all over and I couldn't find any Kirby t-shirts. You might want to just make them yourself with iron-ons.
I know, right? It's easy to find Mario and Zelda shirts...

I guess I'll just use magic marker + white t-shirt ...............

Royale

Smash Journeyman

Yea, actually i've done that to alot of players veritcally because of this move.

If you can picture in your head, a fox in his start up lag for his UpB [fire fox] hes parallel with final Destination off the ledge. I've usually just jumped down and Dair'ed him from above. I've never gotten hit from the flames from the charge up. As long as Kirbys feet hits fox's head.

Like you said, its all about timing. I've been able to do it on a majority of the character cast with the exception of characters that have a really good recovery; ROB, [sometimes]Snake, MK, Kirby, and Jiggly to name a few. It works well on Wario as long as he already uses his Bike to recover. Or even while hes riding it back.

Royale

Smash Journeyman
If you guys are interested i could design some with a Kirby theme going. Hes pretty easy to draw.

Samples;

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/rikao/mk2.png
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/rikao/mk_watercolor_s2.png

This image was sort of a spoof on the whole 'give me energy' animation from Kirby Super Star.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/rikao/wtf.gif
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/rikao/callintothenight_lowres.jpg

Simple sketches; this is without referance
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/rikao/kirbysketch.jpg

with referance
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/rikao/falconpunch.jpg

hot **** that turned out nice

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
You know what's also fun, but hard to pull off? You know how you can press B and instantly press opposite direction on the control stick, so you Inhale in the opposite direction? Yeah, you can do that same with Side B hammer. What's cool is you can run, and say your opponent just shields or spotdodges anticipating an attack or grab. You run directly behind them, press forward+B for the hammer, but instantly reverse it, for a reversed ground hammer.

I have yet to actually DO this, but I always thought it would be an epic way to ko someone >_>
YES! I did this today in an allisbrawl ladder match against a Ness player. He was coming towards the ground, and I ran past him, and did the reverse hammer for the ko. My life is now complete.

I lost the match, but I didn't care because it was short enough to save the replay. I went on to win the set 2-1 anyway.

wtf? The Falcon Punch sketch is pretty cool though.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
Okay... I've seen videos where Kirby will be comboing someone and instantly pivot and use utilt. I was hoping someone could give me the finer mechanics of the move, as in how to manipulate the controller to most easily perform it. It seems like a great move that I need to master if I'm going to continue improving with Kirby.

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
mk help. haha. i swear we should dedicate a thread to countering the mk beast. =)

more specifically, what's the best ways to avoid a 'combo'd' shuttle loop? or shuttle loops in general. good, and i guess not so good, mk users use shuttle loop tons, and it's a real problem for kirby's light weight.

oh and don't say stone, pls, because usually the down+b startup is slower than mk's loop.
i've played quite a few mks, and i know that 'you should airdodge' but although you can sometimes get away with missing the upshot of the loop, you can still get hit by the end of the loop as well as the 'cancel slash'. friggin shuttle loop.

in short, mk's a monster. let's team up against that jerk! =)

The Director

Smash Lord
I've got a question:

I main DK and use Kirby as my secondary. Is Kirby a good matchup against Snake? I know Snake is easy juggles once you get him in the air, and Kirby's got a mean aerial game.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
its even IMO. MUCH better than trying to play your DK against that Snake. Kirby can combo Snake pretty well and can edge guard him like crazy but Snake can star KO kirby with a u tilt at like 60 LOL so it evens out pretty well. play careful and you should be alright though... just watch for those tilts interupting your B airs

The Director

Smash Lord
its even IMO. MUCH better than trying to play your DK against that Snake. Kirby can combo Snake pretty well and can edge guard him like crazy but Snake can star KO kirby with a u tilt at like 60 LOL so it evens out pretty well. play careful and you should be alright though... just watch for those tilts interupting your B airs
Thanks. Yeah I'm aware that Kirby can be killed by Snake easily, but he's not the huge target for all of Snake's **** like DK is.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Okay... I've seen videos where Kirby will be comboing someone and instantly pivot and use utilt. I was hoping someone could give me the finer mechanics of the move, as in how to manipulate the controller to most easily perform it. It seems like a great move that I need to master if I'm going to continue improving with Kirby.
It's simply buffering a pivot. Smash the control stick backwards as you are about to land, and make sure that it has returned to the neutral position before landing lag ends. Proceed to u-tilt.

I've got a question:

I main DK and use Kirby as my secondary. Is Kirby a good matchup against Snake? I know Snake is easy juggles once you get him in the air, and Kirby's got a mean aerial game.
Actully, DK is one of the two widely regarded Snake counters...his weight means he doesn't get Ko'd easily, and his b-air is beast. Snake is actually one of Kirby's worst matchups, with a large advantage for Snake

kr3wman

Smash Master
5…What are other ways to Kirbycide?

U-throw on Smashville on the floating platform – when the platform moves, Kirby’s throw has no place to land.
Who would win in that instance?

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
^Hmmm...I do not know. For all I know, it varies depending on the character.

We need frame rate data for this kind of information. Where are those people?...

I regret to inform everyone that my schedule had become loaded with coursework again. As a result, neither this thread nor my video thread will receive updates until further notice. I have not the time to even play SSB at the moment (it has been about a month >_<).

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Every time I've used U-throw on the platform in Smashville, I hit an 'invisible floor' in the air. I figured it is due to the designers intent to prevent U-throw Kirbycides.

In the instance that U-throw does Kirbycide (such as with a ceiling), I believe the same mechanics work as with Melee. That is to say, both characters die on the same frame (for the most part). This would default to Sudden Death on the last stock of a match, or to controller port priority in the case of a tie.

Tainted_Knives

Smash Cadet
^ Yo Timmy, 2 questions

In your match against Kefka you were able to neutral punch twice then F-Tilt, almost immediately, which I haven't been able to do...I'm sure I just need to practice more, but do you have any tips?

Also, I've been trying to integrate neutral air into my game but I haven't been able to short hop with it.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Every time I've used U-throw on the platform in Smashville, I hit an 'invisible floor' in the air. I figured it is due to the designers intent to prevent U-throw Kirbycides.

In the instance that U-throw does Kirbycide (such as with a ceiling), I believe the same mechanics work as with Melee. That is to say, both characters die on the same frame (for the most part). This would default to Sudden Death on the last stock of a match, or to controller port priority in the case of a tie.
Sorry about the double post. Yea, you hit an invisible floor. Wanna see something even more interesting? Go to Temple, with you as Kirby and your opponent as ROB. Go down to the platform right next to the edge which can no longer be grabbed (go to Fight Club and keep on going to the right). Go onto the LEFT side of the platform, and try to uthrow Kirbycide.

Interesting, yes?

Sino

Smash Journeyman
Question: I saw a MK did a Uair to avoid beeing Ko'd from a launch. Can kirby do something like that(uair/bair/nair), so he doesn't get killed?

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
^B-air immediately after being launched helps you regain control of your character and slow down your momentum.

The optimal move is the one with least start-up lag.

Oh, and make sure to smash DI.

About the u-throw Kirbycide: Yeah, I hit an invisible floor, too. Eh, we all miss something.

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
i second Kirby, and i have a few questions.

1) did you all know Kirby can swallow ROBs down B?

2) what OOS options does Kirby have besides fsmash?

3) is it worth using Kirby's nair at any time at all?

4) considering that GaW, Dedede, and Marth(though i question why) all have a 60:40 advantage on Lucario, is Kirby a good second for me as a Lucario main?

Top Bottom