• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

Massive

Smash Champion
He is the heaviest of the lightweights, yes.

His weight does not move him past the threshold of getting killed at any lower %s than other lightweight characters and his horizontal recovery is so bad/predictable that he is effectively boned, even if he "survives" to a slightly higher % than jigglypuff or G&W would.

Being worried about dieing at low % on YS is a moot point because any character can die at low % on that stage (marth's tippered fsmash can wreck even the heaviest characters at 20-30%). It can definitely work in your favor, kirby's smash attacks actually have killing potential on YS (especially dsmash).

Up-air is fantastic there as well because the knockback is lethal at fairly low %s and the platforms are an easy height for 1-2 jumps.

'V'

Smash Lord
You can use a weak Nair into a grab, but that's just about it, and it's a stretch. Anything you can do with Nair, you can do better with Fair. Fair is amazing.

Massive

Smash Champion
So, out of Kirby's aerials, is there ever a time you wanna use nair? Maybe as a GTFO move?
Bair is the GTFO move. It comes out fast, has a very low recovery time, and can be done again immediately after you pop another jump (jigglypuff jump-bair style).

Bing

Smash Master
So last night I finally got around to using Kirby against some real people, Which leads me to two things; 1. Any Tips for the VS. Falcon MU? 2.F-Throw is too good on Battlefield. I was playing a Fox and I used f-Throw and the Fox went through the stage, I was mad pumped. Yes through, not beside.

Also I like Nair for gimps, basically when I get them off the stage and Im bellow the stage but Parrallel with the player (him gap Me) I like intercept with nair, then generally if I can still recover, you can still bair, or grab the ledge.... or even up-B sweetspot if worse comes to worse :S

OH OH, I also got my first ever Swallowcide. And Recovered, Also against Fox. <3

Massive

Smash Champion
So last night I finally got around to using Kirby against some real people, Which leads me to two things; 1. Any Tips for the VS. Falcon MU? 2.F-Throw is too good on Battlefield. I was playing a Fox and I used f-Throw and the Fox went through the stage, I was mad pumped. Yes through, not beside.
If Fthrow ever works on anyone, they are either sandbagging or a scrub (or uninformed).
Fthrow and Bthrow are pretty much no-nos.

The best thing to do vs. Falcon is DUCK.
You CANNOT BE GRABBED AT ALL while ducking.
A good falcon will respond to frequent ducking with stomps, learn to time utilts or bairs or a wavedash to ruin that opportunity.

You can wavedash under a nair as an approach and do awful things as well. Falcon's recovery is pretty easy to punish, you can back him off the side with dtilt and force him to recover onto the stage by taking the ledge.
Then you get a free bair in his landing lag.

But dear god, just don't get grabbed. Dthrow > Knee is technically 100% unavoidable on Kirby and Jiggs, although it is possible to trick up a falcon if they're not totally on the ball.

Bing

Smash Master
I used f-throw near the ledge, but like, a little bit towards the stage.

And he's neither, I just used it quick, and accidently tbh, I was comboing hardcore and I used it accidently :S I just used it quick which is probably why it worked...

And thanks for the Falcon tips, its a hard MU for me, because yes he does combo my *** like a doll. Im not used to fighting humans as Kirby. First time use, didnt go too bad though. I got two 3 stocks on his Fox in 7 matches. I mean real use, I have used it against 2 Ganons...

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I feel like bthrow is viable if they're at high percents, you use it quickly, and, as an added bonus, you're near the edge and are either a stock ahead or down in %'s w/ equal stocks. Btw, if we can crouch all of Falcon's grabs and can probably CC a bunch of his other stuff, why is the MU 90:10? One of the reasons Jiggs can wreck Sheik is that she can crouch Sheik's grabs while CCing her other stuff.

Triple R

Smash Lord
Fthrow and bthrow are pretty bad, but they do have their uses.

I generally used bthrow on fast fallers when I'm facing into the stage and my bthrow will set them near the edge. It can lead into tech traps since they can only really stay in place at the ledge when getting up or roll back towards you. It has a very similar effect to Marth's dthrow by the ledge.

Fthrow is pretty much his worst throw. There is an insane amount of time to break out. I only used it in one situation I can think of. If I grab a spacie at like 60-70% by the ledge and have enough room to fthrow without going off the stage I'll sometimes go for it. Usually people don't know how to DI this move, so they either go straight to the right like idiots, which sets them up for an easyish edgegurad, or they don't really have DI, they just kinda pop up a little bit and ftilt is guaranteed.

'V'

Smash Lord
Kirby thread is usually not very active these days, but we still try. =D

And Dtilt to Dair is not a true combo. Only if they insist on crouch cancelling a Dair to Dtilt, then you can Dair afterwards to make them feel terrible. Though I will agree that Kirby's down moves are good for his character. Dtilt can work very well at sneaking in a bunch of pokes.

Massive

Smash Champion
hey just a quick question, any notable Kirby mains out there?
I know Armada has a pretty mean Kirby.
BunBun and TripleR are the two active(ish) midwest kirby mains I can think of off the top of my head.

I wish I was cool enough to be a Kirby main, but he's my ghetto secondary. My surprisingly effective ghetto secondary.

'V'

Smash Lord
Trying to get some vids of my Kirby so that I could try to get some in-game tips from people here. We seem to be lacking them.

Top Bottom