• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I want to learn Kirby as a serious character. I'm bored of playing good characters.

You guys have any useful tricks for me before I get started?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
tilt and duck, bair. dair are the moves that are decent all the rest you better not F*** up with. also up-tilt down-B doesn't work :( i've done it in matches before.

really use your 2nd rate mindgames for the most part and never play on a big stage cause kirby is extra fail. waveland up-throw like bunbun normally says.

if they don't know S*** do dumb stuff that shouldn't work.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I plan on spamming wavecrouches a ton. Vs Fox, I'll probably bair/grab camp if he's aggressive. Vs Falco, I'm thinking waveshields are the way to go.

Is u-throw or d-throw better vs fastfallers? I know that b-throw is pretty good by the ledge.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
kirby in teams imo is all about your teammate and you working together, cause kirby's moves are like sheik's, except with too much end lag for kirby to capitalize (in other words, they hit them into a perfect comboing spot)

swallow knocks them right above you, your teammate can get a huge hit if they know you're gonna do it, same with yoru uthrow haha. also swallowcide your opponent when they're edge guarding your teammate =p

BunBun

Smash Master
Uthrow ffers on platform stages always. You want to try and force a platform tech, which you can uair. It is super super important that you fastfall waveland out of the uthrow so you can get to them in time.

On non platform stages, or when they are at too low a damage to hit the platform, dthrow or uthrow are kinda 50/50. The goal will be a techchase regrab most of the time. I've found that people expect the dthrow techchase, but if I uthrow them on level ground they don't expect the waveland > shield, and i usually get a free grab after their getup attack or neutral tech.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
So people are less accustomed to u-throw tech chases. That's really useful to know ...

On the subject of tech chasing, does boost grab help you get to people in time in some situations?

BunBun

Smash Master
Not really.

The fire looks cool though.

Other things vs spaceis that are good to know:

(Their) Properly used utilts can outspace almost all your aerial approaches. Occasionally, people will stand there facing away from you ready to uptilt. Fair into the ground moving towards them so they get poked by the grounded 4th hit.
utilt combos kind of stupidly. Even with DI, you should be able to follow them a few times with it, or get a grab out of it. Grab at med % on spacies under platform = really high chance of taking the stock.
If you recover low/semi low against fox (you're probably dead), keep a wall of fair or bair out, and be super cautious. One unteched shine usually means you'll have to recover into another shine, and two unteched shines means death.
Airdodge is almost always the better choice over upB for recovering near the stage against an edgeguarding fox.
If you walltech and have no jumps left, you need to instantly back air or you almost always will jump out too far to up b to the ledge >.>

Oh yeah, and in case you didn't know, when you recover, jumping and immediately fairing will get you extra range.
And getting hit out of your UpB kills all your jumps, regardless of how many you had when you started it.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Other things vs spaceis that are good to know:

(Their) Properly used utilts can outspace almost all your aerial approaches. Occasionally, people will stand there facing away from you ready to uptilt. Fair into the ground moving towards them so they get poked by the grounded 4th hit.
Yea, spacies' utilts have stupid priority. I guess you've just got to know what area is the no-go zone due to utilt and go around it and bair or something. Regarding the grounded hit of fair, does the hitbox stay out even if you l-cancel, assuming that the third hit comes out prior to landing?

utilt combos kind of stupidly. Even with DI, you should be able to follow them a few times with it, or get a grab out of it. Grab at med % on spacies under platform = really high chance of taking the stock.
Yea. I was looking at the hitboxes, and that utilt has sick range.

If you recover low/semi low against fox (you're probably dead), keep a wall of fair or bair out, and be super cautious. One unteched shine usually means you'll have to recover into another shine, and two unteched shines means death.
Airdodge is almost always the better choice over upB for recovering near the stage against an edgeguarding fox.
If you walltech and have no jumps left, you need to instantly back air or you almost always will jump out too far to up b to the ledge >.>
I figure Kirby's ideal recovery vs Fox is somewhat comparable to Marth's. That is, approach the ledge from as high as possible, while staying out of his ledgehop bair range, stall there to get him to roll up from the ledge early, then either jump and grab it, or up-b if necessary.

Oh yeah, and in case you didn't know, when you recover, jumping and immediately fairing will get you extra range.
And getting hit out of your UpB kills all your jumps, regardless of how many you had when you started it.
I wasn't 100% sure about the fairing giving you more distance, but since I've seen Kirbys doing it, I was pretty sure about it.

I'm pretty sure all characters lose their double jump/jumps if they get hit out of their up-b, although Kirby is a special case, I guess, since he has more than usual.

BunBun

Smash Master
does the hitbox stay out even if you l-cancel, assuming that the third hit comes out prior to landing?
Yup. It's pretty nice.
I'm pretty sure all characters lose their double jump/jumps if they get hit out of their up-b, although Kirby is a special case, I guess, since he has more than usual.
Yeah, I just wanted to give you fair warning. It's extremely disheartening when you use your upB to get to the ledge quicker when you could have just jumped, and a fox shines you out of it.

Anything in particular you want to know matchup-wise?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I don't have any matchup questions yet, since I haven't played Kirby vs anyone good to date. I'm sure I'll get continuously 3-4 stocked at first, then I'll certainly have a plethora of questions, once I realize what I'm doing wrong, since I'm sure I don't know much about Kirby as of yet.

In other news, today I landed SH fair -> SH uair on my brother's Zelda, and it killed him. It seems like fair is pretty good for comboing floaties.

BunBun

Smash Master
Yeah. The first two hits of fair are awesome. My ******** aerial combo is:
2hitfair > rejump > 2hitfair > rejump > uair.
Works at most percents. drift downward so the third hits of the fairs never connect and immediately rejump. Doing it on their recovery is awesome to the max, because they will always DI up in fear of getting hit by the 3rd fair hit.

I'm going to namedrop the people I've landed this combo on so they can come deny it's amazingness:
IHSB (samus)
Tomacawk (peach)
DOH (peach)
Macd (just one fair =( ) (peach)
Cyner (samus)
Tink (Peach)

Pimpfish

Smash Journeyman
I like to take Falco's lasers. I like to back throw spacies when we are close to the ledge(not kirbycide) but it often sets up for a bair edge guard.

ive found that nair( iknowright?) can combo ganon and c. falcon. such as short hop nair> miss tech ftilt> repeate. they are seen in a lot of t!mmys combo vids and i get them to work when i can cause it adds some nice damage.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Yeah. The first two hits of fair are awesome. My ******** aerial combo is:
2hitfair > rejump > 2hitfair > rejump > uair.
Works at most percents. drift downward so the third hits of the fairs never connect and immediately rejump. Doing it on their recovery is awesome to the max, because they will always DI up in fear of getting hit by the 3rd fair hit.

I'm going to namedrop the people I've landed this combo on so they can come deny it's amazingness:
IHSB (samus)
Tomacawk (peach)
DOH (peach)
Macd (just one fair =( ) (peach)
Cyner (samus)
Tink (Peach)
Im going to find the post where i suggested doing this so I can prove i've totally been doing it longer than you have :mad:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Man. I can't stop myself from continuously trying to come up with useful Kirby tactics. I think I'm gonna go watch some videos to cool my brain down.

MacD

Banned via Administration
i thought i'd get you, but bun bun too good

although the screaming afterwards was waaaay too fun, i love shouting at tournies with peach mains... too bad the peach mains there weren't loud/gay/fun

MacD

Banned via Administration
hahahaha at pound, me, xelic and doh all roomed together

at pound we also hung out with alan, another one of us from nor cal lol

EC is lacking on their gay peach mains though :(

i hope xelic goes to pound, otherwise idk what i'll do... hang out with doh all tourney??? *shudders*

BunBun

Smash Master
When you land, there is an extra hit. That's why fair hits four times, but kirby only has 3 kicks.

It's super nice for that surprise poke.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Fair's first hitbox doesn't appear until frame 10. Does that also mean the landing hitbox can't happen until frame 10 (at least)? What is the earliest possible frame of fair during which its 4th hitbox can activate?

BunBun

Smash Master
Urgh, you're going to make me turn my cube on, aren't you xD.

I don't have AR, but I can try to make it land before the first hit comes out.

Top Bottom