• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Everything -- Kirby Social Thread

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Dash attack -> anything works most of the time.
fair -> aerial hammer is pretty cool to land, but only works at relatively low precentages. Still good enough to kill if you've got your opponent off stage.
Final cutter -> uair as a follow up to another attack is really cool too.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Jumping off the edge and inhaling people trying to recover, then falling a little, and then spitting them out seems to total screw characters like ike and diddy even if they do get their jumps back the angle is impossible for them to recover from. Diddy is easy to inhale to since you can easily guess where they will use their up B and it is stopped in its tracks completely. Kirby can easily fly back from it to. Ike's up B is harder to stop but if you get him with a reverse inhale can spit him understage or if he tries forward b he is either aiming for stage or edge which is easy to cover both. Jumping off and inhaling would limit a lot of the recoveries of characters and put the fear into them when they try to recover allowing you to gimp them other ways or them putting themselves in bad positions trying to avoid the chance of the inhale.

Whats do you all think of this?

SSS

Smash Ace
Jumping off the edge and inhaling people trying to recover, then falling a little, and then spitting them out seems to total screw characters like ike and diddy even if they do get their jumps back the angle is impossible for them to recover from. Diddy is easy to inhale to since you can easily guess where they will use their up B and it is stopped in its tracks completely. Kirby can easily fly back from it to. Ike's up B is harder to stop but if you get him with a reverse inhale can spit him understage or if he tries forward b he is either aiming for stage or edge which is easy to cover both. Jumping off and inhaling would limit a lot of the recoveries of characters and put the fear into them when they try to recover allowing you to gimp them other ways or them putting themselves in bad positions trying to avoid the chance of the inhale.

Whats do you all think of this?
This is the beauty of Kirby's cheese-game.

SSS

Smash Ace
The ending of Kirby's uair has a very nice knockback angle behind him. I particularly like dropping of the edge and hitting with it, or getting it after an utilt. It might be better at sending people behind you than bair, just because of the big hitbox.
Speaking of bair, you can weak bair (the part that's on Kirby's body, not his feet) opponents across the stage, similar to Flaco.

EDIT: Also, on fastfallers, utilt ferdayz. If they start to DI behind you, jump up and either bair or get that funky uair. if they start to DI in front of you, usmash or (sometimes, needs testing) hammer. You can also high-angled fsmash.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
If they run away from the utilt, I like to chain with a dash attack, usually sends them at a good angle to keep tilting.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
The ending of Kirby's uair has a very nice knockback angle behind him. I particularly like dropping of the edge and hitting with it, or getting it after an utilt.
It's reminiscent of Ganon uair gimps.

Last edited:

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Pk fire is annoying... also i now know what playing like a patient jigglypuff player is like, not fun but gets the job done.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Kirby's inhale is probably top 5 best neutral-b's in the game. Technically it should be #1, since it can copy anyone elses, but by itself its pretty good since its not as laggy as Brawl and can easily maneuver during the aerial animation.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
ehhh yes it does because he doesn't get a free grab or fsmash or something anymore.
That makes it less powerful, even if he doesn't get a follow up it is still annoying... it still stops you and does a little damage. I'm not saying its overpowered are anything like that, just annoying like a fly buzzing around your head.

Last edited:

Glick

Smash Lord
I ****ING LOVE THIS CHARACTER
In the upcoming free saltines combo video the credits will be a sequence of me kirbyciding people. I love kirbys scum game, it's always been great but it's in top form in this game.

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
Inhale is such a troll move in general for Project M. Whether tricking your opponent into thinking you're coming down with an aerial after air camping, or just kirbyciding, it's all pretty much on the same level of scumbaggyness... And it's never felt better.

SSS

Smash Ace
Do any of you find it hard to not spam Dash Attack?
Not really. When starting off with any character you should "spam" each and every one of their moves. And by spam i mean use a lot in different scenarios. This will help you get a better understanding of when each and every move is good. So when I picked up Kirby I spammed everything at some point, including dash attack. now i have a better understanding of when to use dash attack and when to not (same with Kirby's other moves). It's still a hella good move though.

jtm94

Smash Lord
I find myself using dash attack a lot.

I just dash dance for days until a bad approach is forced, then dash attack > utilt > utilt > bair/uair.

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
Hey y'all. I've been playing Kirby for about a week now. It's ASTOUNDING that this little guy has so many effective options. Grab game and dash attack already do so much by themselves! I already think he's one of the better designed PM characters. Definitely questioning a main switch.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Hey y'all. I've been playing Kirby for about a week now. It's ASTOUNDING that this little guy has so many effective options. Grab game and dash attack already do so much by themselves! I already think he's one of the better designed PM characters. Definitely questioning a main switch.
He's definitely one of my top characters other than Yoshi and now Lucas. Such a powerful and fun character. People hate playing against mine to the place I go since they don't like the match up

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Its best to get used to trying to not use/spam Dash Attack, and learn/understand about all of Kirby's other options. DA spam, can get pretty predictable. Also once you run into the guy who can counter all your Dash Attack approaches, you would be stuck since thats all you've been doing.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Ya, any character with a character with stopping power like falco's laser or mario bros fire balls will stop it. Just use it as one of the many options you can use to approach with kirby.

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
I prefer the run-n-duck approach just like Canon demonstrated. It lets kirby get away with a lot. Plus you still got good ol' dash dancin'.
Lately i've been working on throwing in a (not quite) RAR'd SHL'd dair as my back is against/as i run past the opponent during close quarters dash dancing. It's especially useful against people that like to dash attack since some characters get low enough for kirby to jump over, land some kicks, and lcancel into grab or whatever.
Though i'm still having trouble shorthopping with 3 frames and a Z jump button. I'll get it down in time.

Last edited:

Brikmaethor

Smash Cadet
There's a neat little trick that might not be incredibly practical, but it does have a fantastic payoff. Basically, if you catch your opponent shielding on the edge of a platform, you can hit them with the first swing of hammer to push them off the edge, out of their shield and directly into the nasty second swing. Fun stuff. It might not work on every character, but it works on Marth so I'm a happy guy.

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
There's a neat little trick that might not be incredibly practical, but it does have a fantastic payoff. Basically, if you catch your opponent shielding on the edge of a platform, you can hit them with the first swing of hammer to push them off the edge, out of their shield and directly into the nasty second swing. Fun stuff. It might not work on every character, but it works on Marth so I'm a happy guy.
Hey that's pretty cool!
I'm actually in the middle of making a complete list of what moves Kirby can duck under to punish for each character. I'm about 2/3 of the way through and I'll see if I can figure out how to upload it here when I'm done.
I might test out that little trick on the cast to see who it works on as well. Kirby is my secondary right now, but I'd love to have him up to the level of my Pit so I can use them interchangeably and also use him in teams. Kirby in teams is so much fun and so salt inducing for opponents.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Seems like at very early % (1-20) you can chain grab with forward throw on some characters and they are still close enough to you at 20% to add some more damage with other attacks such as dash attack. Haven't had chance to try it on people though only on 1 and 3 computers though.

Also, i randomly dashed attacked computer off edge and immediately dair him at low %. Seems like that could be a useful surprise against fast fallers.

Edit: Thought i was a little vague what i meant is that i hit the computer off the edge with dash attack that also sent me off the edge directly on top or over their head allowing me to immediately dair them.

Last edited:

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Seems like at very early % (1-20) you can chain grab with forward throw on some characters and they are still close enough to you at 20% to add some more damage with other attacks such as dash attack. Haven't had chance to try it on people though only on 1 and 3 computers though.

Also, i randomly dashed attacked computer off edge and immediately dair him at low %. Seems like that could be a useful surprise against fast fallers.
Dair is a really good punish against DK. That matchup is like 70-30 in Kirby's favor.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Not sure about that, DK has the option to kill you really early.
How so? Every DK player I've faced, minus Strong Bad, hasn't been able to beat me in the match up. DK's Dair is a meteor so you can just meteor cancel with Kirby's vertical Final Cutter

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
@ Kaysick Kaysick DK kills Kirby wayy earlier than Kirby can kill DK. The only way Kirby can really kill DK at low % is by a dair, but any good DK isnt foolish enough to allow himself to get setup for a meteor. Plus half of DK's moves outrange kirby's entire moveset, so its pretty hard to get in without getting hit. Stack that on top of dying around 70-100% (depending on stage), id say the matchup is like 60:40 DKs favor. Kirby does have options when he gets in, and when DK is above its hard for him to get back down. (at low %s mostly). But still, its pretty obvious its in DK's favor.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
@ Kaysick Kaysick DK kills Kirby wayy earlier than Kirby can kill DK. The only way Kirby can really kill DK at low % is by a dair, but any good DK isnt foolish enough to allow himself to get setup for a meteor. Plus half of DK's moves outrange kirby's entire moveset, so its pretty hard to get in without getting hit. Stack that on top of dying around 70-100% (depending on stage), id say the matchup is like 60:40 DKs favor. Kirby does have options when he gets in, and when DK is above its hard for him to get back down. (at low %s mostly). But still, its pretty obvious its in DK's favor.
I guess I just haven't faced a DK that knows the matchup well enough then. I can see how he can kill Kirby at low percents. Kirby's Nair can prioritize over a good amount of DK's aerial moves, which is my safest approach for him.

Glick

Smash Lord
I play against ELI a lot, who is a great DK player in PM. I don't think the matchup is that bad at all. You can essentially walk all over him in the neutral game, as he has pretty much no fast moves except for his up b, but that can be easily baited out. You can combo hammers on him really well off back air/forward air. vs DK i'm constantly just looking for hammer kills

Top Bottom