• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Crazy Doubles Tournament -Temporarily Closed-

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
THIS TOURNAMENT IS CLOSED/POSTPONED FOR NOW

KCD Tournament

This tournament is now RE OPEN! Sign ups are starting NOW

General Stuff
This tournament is a doubles tournament, which means you'll need a partner.
You can either team up with someone, and post who you're teaming up with, or you can post here and ill give you a matchup
This is a round robin tournament, whicch means every team has to fight every other team
The team with the highest ratio of wins against all is the victor!
Note: Even if you win the match, LOSSES COUNT AGAINST YOU. (2-0 in a match is better than 2-1)

The Special thing
The special thing about this tournament, is that one person from each team has to be kirby. But there's a catch. If you're the kirby of the group, you can't use any 'A' attacks, only 'B' attacks. If you're kirby, the main source of damage for you will probably be your neutral B attack, which you will probably get from inhaling your non-kirby opponent. However, if you want your ally's ability, when the enemy kirby gets his ability, you can steal your ally's ability from the enemy kirby!

Note:Since this is all about teamwork, i reccomend you develop some strategies before the matches, and fammiliarize yourselves with eachother. Use AIM. If you make a little plan, or you spend around 20 mins max talking with your team mate, it will make the matches alot easier for you

FAQS:

Q: Can you only use B, or also dodge etc (if you're kirby)?
A: You can use dodge and stuff too, but B should be your only damage source

Q: Can i taunt with kirby?
A: Yes you can taunt. Thats how you would get rid of your B ability which would let you be able to kirby cide, or combo with your star spit. But... if you taunt with no purpose, it will t-bag the other team, which will probably make them angry, and then they'll try to focus on killing you... probably.

Q: Can I grab with kirby?
A: You can only 'neutral grab', which means you can only grab the opponent to 'stun them' so you can combo in with your opponent

Q: Can I 'B stick?'
A: Yes, you can B stick. if you're wondering how to bstick, here are the steps:
1. Make a new user/name thing
2. Go to options
3. Change the controls for that name/user
4. Change B to your c stick or ctrl stick or whatever
5. When you go online, select that name/user for the interface and controls you set up

Q:Can you switch off who plays kirby in between battles?
A:
By the way, you can switch off who plays kirby with your team mate if he agrees:
EG.
First round: You play your main, team mate plays kirby. you lose
Second round: You play kirby, team mate plays his main. You win
Third round: You play kirby, team mate plays a different main. You win.
You win the match

So you can switch around with who plays kirby if you want
Q: Why does kirby only get to press 'B'?
A:
the reason you cant use the 'A' button is so you will mainly use neutral 'B', thus the copy ability theme. And i think its cool that if you steal an opponents ability, you use it frequently.
I cant say 'You have to mainly use 'B''
That has no meaning to it. And a plain theme just as '1 kirby per team' doesnt make sence. The deal here is that the kirby cant play normally. He has to work as a team with the other person. Its like kirby is the other team members minion. If you think about it, its a pretty **** good idea. -.-
How to use Kirbys Moves effectively​

Final Cutter:------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Inhale:
------------------------------

This is a great spam and projectile move. Use it to rack up damage,-------------l----------This move is your trump card. you find that a player is really
and make it hard for you opponents to dodge so your team mate ------------l----- good, and its tough to beat him by stock, just Kirbyside!
can hit them. This is a spammy move. This is also great for spiking. ----------l-------- SInce you are probably a less valuble asset to your team,
If someones on the edge, and isnt invincible, you can use this attack -------l-----and the player your kirbyciding is probably good, its by all
to make them fall to their doom, kind of like falcos dair, or samus's dair.-----l------means worth it! If you just get high on damage, kirbycide!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------l-------Now, this is also your main move (probably), as you will be
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------l------ using kirby spit, and copying their ability. Kirby spit can be
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------l-------useful in many different ways. If you hit your opponent with
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------l------- the star, it could lead to a combo, or just gimp them! Last,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------l------- but definately not least is your copy ability. This is the main
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------l------ source of damage from you if your opponent has a good b
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------l------- attack. Lets say you want your allys b attack. All you have
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------l------- to do is wait for your opponents kirby to suck your ally up,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------l-------and transform into your allys ability. Now, just suck the
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------l------- enemy kirby up and vuala! You now have your allys ability
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hammer: ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Rock:
-----------------------------------

On the ground, this attack matches :falcon:'s and :ganondorf:'s punches, -----------------------l---------- This attack isnt used very often, when you play kirby regularly,
but in the air, this is one fast punishing killing machine! This is a great killing --------l-------- but in this tournament, it could lead to great victory! You can
move, and in the air, its pretty fast. Since it swings two times, you can trick ---------l--------- use it to combo your allies attack, use it as a finishing move
your opponent into bumping into it. This is also alright for gimping, but this ----------l--------- or just use it for mindgames. This attack also has great damage
is a great damage source if you can time it well.

Rules
Team attack is OFF

Stocks: 3 Stocks
Time: 8 Minutes
Items: None

- This is round robin, so you have to fight everyone. All matches will be best out of 3

- Glitches are Banned.

- Stalling is banned.

- Stalling: The act of DELIBERATELY avoiding any and all conflict (attacks) so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while planking with MK at the ledge your whole life is. If you stall, you will lose the set. Don't try it!

- Ledge Grab Limit is 60 Grabs. More than that will be accepted as an act of stalling and you will lose the set.

-If you are kirby. THIS IS A MUST READ RULE!!!! You must change your controls so that you cant use the 'A' button. To see how, read FAQ (b stick). IF YOU FAIL TO ABIDE THIS RULE, YOU WILL BE DQed!
Of course, I cant go to your house and check it, so even if you press a and it doesnt do anything, but the other team sees it, Its a DQ. If the team who supposedly pressed A neglects it, they have to send a video...
Now I cant tell if someone lies or not, so dont be gay... but it would be messed up to lie about someone DQing... so please dont do it.

How the tournament works
This tournament is round robin, meaning you have to fight all 3 other teams
You have 1o days to do all 3 of your matches. So do em'!.
The matches that you dont finish will be concidered as a '0-2' points for you, which is negative 2! not very good...
If a team doesnt show up, and the other team PMs that team, but the team just doesnt do anything, I will give 2-0 points to the team that tried to do a battle
If the kirby member of the team DQs, Then the team loses for the ROUND, not the MATCH.

After the round robin ends, the two bottom ranking teams will fight, and the two top ranking teams will fight

Stages:
Starter:
Final Destination
Delfino Plaza
Luigis Mansion
Pokemon Stadium (1 & 2)
Hanebrow
Temple
Green Greens

Counter:
Norfair
Halberd
Spear Pillar
Port Town Aero Dive
Castle Siege
Warioware, INC.
Distand Planet
New Pork City
Summit
Sky World
If both people agree
Rainbow Cruise (If both agree)
Mushroomy kingdom (If both agree)
Big Blue (If both agree)
Rumble Falls (If Both Agree)
Mario Bros (If Both Agree
75 m (IF both agree)
Corneria

Banned:
Mario Circut
Battle Field
Bridge of Eldin
Pirate Ship
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshis Island (brawl and meele)
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Flat Zone 2
Picto Chat
Onett
Corneria
Brinstar
Shadow Moses Island​

Open the spoiler
Teams:

Players
Paladin77/Palad/2621-2291-5503/ :kirby: or :diddy:, :zerosuitsamus:/:samus:
neherazade / Nhrzd / 4983-4637-1628 / :kirby: or :falco:, :marth:
Shadowfirex10/ SogeK/3824-8826-1903/ :kirby: or :luigi:, :snake:
Rawnie/ Ben / 4425-4965-2484 / :kirby:

Note: :kirby2: means that you would not like to play kirby, but you're willing to.
:kirby: means that you equallly want to play kirby

Round Robin Chart:

Note: I want to give credit to Trela for helping me out with the layout. I copied and pasted his rules, and looked at his tournament outline for the format. Thanks Trela!

If im missing something, please tell me!

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
Bizzare...

Sounds good!
i'll throw my name in the hat!
neherazade / Nhrzd / 4983-4637-1628 / :kirby: or :popo: / :marth:

sorry... I never got a chance to fix my FC until now!

sammy p

Smash Lord
wow... there sure have been a lot of doubles tourneys lately 0_0(no offense to you at all paladin :))
i would join... im sorry i cant though :(

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
i just lost my wi fi a little while ago :(
and its eating me up inside :laugh:
good luck to this one though! ill definitly be checking in here every once in a while so i can see how its going! :)
Sucks for you....
well, if you get it back, i hope you could join ;/

@marlon: I need your FC still. If you dont give it, you're out of the tourney (When i get 10 members)

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
will there be a final, compiled list of teams?

and all teams will be paired Kirby <-> Other... will we know who is playing as the Kirby?

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
will there be a final, compiled list of teams?

and all teams will be paired Kirby <-> Other... will we know who is playing as the Kirby?
Well, yes. If you dont pick yourself a teammate, then i will pair you up with the opposite.

EG: you're kirby, ill pair you up with a sheik.

And yes, you will know who is playing as the kirby. Check the entrants. The ones who have :kirby2: or --Other-- will be drafted off into kirby or their mains as soon as we have enough contestants.

It will all work out nicely

Kuda398

Smash Cadet
I'll do it. I haven't been in a Tourney since brawlcentral.com was still up but I'll play. I do not have a teammate and I'm not very good with Kirby but if you don't have enough Kirby volunteers, I will play with him.

Kuda398 / Kuda / 1677-3613-5399 / :sonic: / :kirby2: (If I have to)

I'm ready to rock! :rocket:

Btw, just got my Wii back so I'm a little rusty at Brawling period. :ouch: But I'm not at noob to any Smash Bros. game

Lastly, I have one question to ask. Is grabbing with Kirby banned or allowed? Because if the Kirby player is only allowed to use special attacks (B), they most likely will be rolling and dodging a lot so out of instinct someone may grab. Whether or not it is or isn't, I'm cool with it. Just curious.

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
K thnx. Also, kudo makes a good point. Is Kirby only allowed to ATTACK with "b"... Or can they only USE "b"? Like can a Kirby shield/grab/roll/etc?

Also, if we're playing Kirby, can we b-stick the match?

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
K thnx. Also, kudo makes a good point. Is Kirby only allowed to ATTACK with "b"... Or can they only USE "b"? Like can a Kirby shield/grab/roll/etc?

Also, if we're playing Kirby, can we b-stick the match?
nah, he can dodge etc. He can grab but then let go (combo with partner).
So NO DAMAGE CAN BE DONE WITH ATTACKS OTHER THAN 'B'

so you arn't that limited...but the point of this competition is so you can use neutral b for main damage... well, that would be a good tactic....

yes, you can b stick. do whatever you want. Just dont press 'A' at all

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
why is this tournament so unpopular...
Why are you double posting? Seriously, use the edit button. You can get points for double posting. Just keeping you in the know.

If you want to know why this tourney isn't so hot, I'll give you my two cents. The concept isn't that good. Doubles tourneys are good. Doubles tourneys with one person as Kirby is allright. Doubles tourneys with one person as Kirby using only B button moves...not so much. :ohwell:

One use of the a button or c-stick ends the match, as it should. All it takes is the Kirby person not to map their controller accordingly to end the match. That's a little too gimmicky for some, including myself. The tourney is based more on luck than skill IMHO.

But that's just one guy's opinion. Take it for what it's worth. ;)

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Its probly just because there are so many tournies going on right now....

Online tournaments arent really suppose to be serious Kazoo :p

zeldspazz

Smash Master
If they were taken seriously they wouldnt be themed like this one, or the new brawl char. one, or my pirate one, etc.

You get the point. They are suppose to be fun. But you dont get praise for winning it like you would offline and people usually dont try as hard.

sammy p

Smash Lord
i agree wit kazoo though that not being able to use the A button is a little wierd, but otherwise, i would LOVE to join this! lol too bad i cant

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
people dont understand! the reason you cant use the 'A' button is so you will mainly use neutral 'B'. And i think its cool that if you steal an opponents ability, you use it frequently.
That has no meaning to it. And a plain theme just as '1 kirby per team' doesnt make sence. The deal here is that the kirby cant play normally. He has to work as a team with the other person. Its like kirby is the other team members minion. If you think about it, its a pretty **** good idea. -.-

sammy p

Smash Lord
people dont understand! the reason you cant use the 'A' button is so you will mainly use neutral 'B'. And i think its cool that if you steal an opponents ability, you use it frequently.
you, my sir, just made it a little easier for me to understand :)
thank you

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
It's a great idea, but like I said not very managable.

Some times we have to let ideas go if you want a tournament to be successful. Trust me I've had many themed ideas that seemed super awesome but when actually trying to employ them in an online tournament it just doesn't work out.

Maybe just do an all Kirby tournament and drop the copy ability theme?

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Even if this is for the lulz or for fun or what have you, there is still that problem: Using the A button or cstick still DQs you from the tourney. Inadvertently using a button results in a loss of your match. I'm pretty sure that losing that way isn't that fun to most, what say you?

I wish your tourney all the best, but you did ask me for my two cents explicitly, and I am giving it.

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
Even if this is for the lulz or for fun or what have you, there is still that problem: Using the A button or cstick still DQs you from the tourney. Inadvertently using a button results in a loss of your match. I'm pretty sure that losing that way isn't that fun to most, what say you?

I wish your tourney all the best, but you did ask me for my two cents explicitly, and I am giving it.
What you can do to prevent this is use custom controls where you make a user name especially for controlling kirby. If you use this, then there willbe no way possible for you to use 'A'

and also, 1 or 2 times pressing a wont dq you... if you do it on accident and it doesnt REALLY affect anybody.

Aibou

Smash Master
What you can do to prevent this is use custom controls where you make a user name especially for controlling kirby. If you use this, then there willbe no way possible for you to use 'A'

and also, 1 or 2 times pressing a wont dq you... if you do it on accident and it doesnt REALLY affect anybody.
What if someone accidentally tilts their C-Stick and kills someone with a broken f-smash?

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
What if someone accidentally tilts their C-Stick and kills someone with a broken f-smash?
You would make it so that your attack would be something you would almost never hit... custom controls.

man why are you all so negative...

Instead of saying all of the cons, and how i should close this tournament down, say how i could improve THIS tournament

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I really want your tournament to be successful. Kazoo is simply rude :p

The best way you can improve it is to get rid of the B rule. The concept of the tournament still remains without it.

As for doubles tourneys usually failing, thats something I'm basing on statistics and experience. I'm not trying to be negative it's just true. You can still give it ago though. If you are involved and keep it running you can succeed.

When I ran my first tourney I made it an all girls tourney in order to find a female member for the clan I was in. Everyone kept telling me it wouldn't work because there weren't enough girls on the site. I insisted for them to give it a chance. Eventually I had to give up on the idea because well they were right. They knew more about the site than I did. They had been here longer. They wern't trying to put me down, they were just being real.

Aibou

Smash Master
You would make it so that your attack would be something you would almost never hit... custom controls.

Instead of saying all of the cons, and how i should close this tournament down, say how i could improve THIS tournament
In order to make it better, we need to point out the flaws so they can be fixed.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Before I head to bed and get back to finals, I just wanted to clear a few things up.

Agreed. Using custom controls eliminates the risk of using a button other than the B button. But all it takes is one team and a failure to communicate, as mentioned next.

Then there is no point for having the tourney!

Think about it for a second...you violate the rules of a tourney, and you opponent or TO (which would be you) doesn't have the right to DQ you as a result?

Taking this a step further: Pressing a forbidden button technically isn't an automatic DQ, provided that both teams come to a consensus that they will continue to play on (similar to an Offline tourney when someone presses pause in the middle of a match). However, the person committing the violation is @ the mercy of their opponent in this regard. If they want a DQ, you have (by your stated rules) have to DQ the match. If you don't, your rep as a TO takes a huge blow, as a tourney director doesn't have the right to change the rules on the fly. Their job is to direct, not influence, a tourney.

Read below.

In order to make it better, we need to point out the flaws so they can be fixed.
Twenty times this.

If I had the time to join the tourney, and the team I was playing against used the A button or C-Stick in any way, I would immediately call a DQ on that time. Your words above make it sound like you are waffling on the statement, which isn't a good sign for the tourney.

I really want your tournament to be successful.
As do I.

Kazoo is simply rude :p
It's kinda a shame that every post I make that contains a animadversion on someone else's actions here results in a "ZOMG UR TROLLIN/MINIMODDIN/BEIN MEAN" reply.

If you're joking Z.e.n., then I fully retract this statement and offer my sincerest apologies.

The best way you can improve it is to get rid of the B rule. The concept of the tournament still remains without it.
Glad to see we agree. :bigthumbu

As for doubles tourneys usually failing, thats something I'm basing on statistics and experience. I'm not trying to be negative it's just true. You can still give it ago though. If you are involved and keep it running you can succeed.
This is the biggest point of all. The best way to run a tourney is to be on top of everything. DQ people as needed, answer questions, mediate conflict. This is what a good TO is. Hopefully, I can get to that level one day. I hope you do as well. :)

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
why is this tournament so unpopular...
the best guess I can offer is that it is such a bizzarre idea. It requires alot of skill and planning, but it's very gimmicky. Honestly, I love gimmick tourneys (woot), but others... not so much.

I might also suggest: make it a round-Robin tourney. Instead of fighting knock-out rounds (that limits Kirby's copy-options) have each team fight every other team once (three games) or twice (best of three, two times) and the team witht he most wins is the champion. That also means that your need less teams. a round-robin tourney with four teams can have as many rounds as a knock-out with eight teams.

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
the best guess I can offer is that it is such a bizzarre idea. It requires alot of skill and planning, but it's very gimmicky. Honestly, I love gimmick tourneys (woot), but others... not so much.

I might also suggest: make it a round-Robin tourney. Instead of fighting knock-out rounds (that limits Kirby's copy-options) have each team fight every other team once (three games) or twice (best of three, two times) and the team witht he most wins is the champion. That also means that your need less teams. a round-robin tourney with four teams can have as many rounds as a knock-out with eight teams.
Thanks so much for that idea. Sounds good! Ill edit the main post right now!

@Abiu:But they wern't contributing really. They were just saying the flaws, and not how to make them fixed.

@Kazoo: Ok. tell me which idea is better.
1: You get DQed if you dont switch controls
2: If you accidentally press A, the other team needs to send a video of it so i can approve it or not.
3: If you accidentally press A, you are DQed.
4: your idea?

The thing is, i want to keep the B button rule

@Zen, Kazoo, Aibou, zeldspazz: Since you guys contributed so much... mind joining :D? I have 3 slots left... and if you filled em up, that would be pretty cool :)

Kuda398

Smash Cadet
So what'd I miss? jk

I think the tournament is fine the way it is. One player (In this case, the Kirby player) can only use his special attacks, which are the some of the most unique in the game, adds a real sense to the word "Teamwork". Plus, like Paladin said, just set your controls to Custom and the B button only. Problem Solved. If you have a problem with it, either report Paladin for posting his rules for the tourney, or stop complaining and either join or don't. I'm not a mod or anything but is sounds like some people just want to add to their post count sometimes.

Back on point.

I have one last question to ask Paladin. I don't mean to bug you but is taunting and/or comments displayed by taunting allowed? It's not reall important but I'm just really curious about this because I don't want to be disqualified by accidentally taunting like I have in other online tourneys.

I love taunting people :laser:

Great job btw. This competition is going to be a lot of fun :chuckle:

Top Bottom