• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby advice needed (video inside)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
That TV has some funny colors. Ganon had blue flames!

Consider this:
Ganondorf out prioritizes Kirby really easily.
When Kirby gets hit, he's usually dead.
If Kirby doesn't die from a hit, he's easily combo'd into practically any other attack.
Ganondorf likes to hit Kirby.

Now, looking at the video, I saw you move in for an attack at any given time rather than considering what your opponent was going to do (which was usually going in for an attack at any given time). This usually resulted in Kirby getting hit first.

What you have to learn is when to move in for an attack, and which attacks of Kirby's work best in the given situation. During this trial-and-error period, you'll probably get hit often, but that's what practice is for. When you find something that works, stick with it. Since this is Kirby we're talking about, your opponent will inevitably find a way around whatever works and go back to hitting you again. Take the hits, learn new techniques, and then start mixing things up so your opponent doesn't know what to expect next.

Some tips:
Try crouching a whole lot against Ganondorf. He hates that because so many of his attacks will miss - and the ones that land will at least get crouch canceled. Make sure to attack quickly after he misses. He'll start trying out low reaching attacks very quickly, like d-tilt, Wizard's Foot, Gerudo Punch, D-air and oddly enough D-smash (which obviously misses) and F-air (which unfortunately hits). Good players will go for down-angled F-smash, and d-angled F-tilt.

Ganondorf's recovery is easily ledge-guarded. Thus your goal is to get him off the ledge as quickly and often as possible. Use Swallow and spit him over the edge. Use D-tilts to rack up damage, and F-tilt to send farther off. Grab and B-throw right away so he doesn't break out.

When he's off the stage, grab that ledge and hog him. Don't let go until he recovers back onto the stage or falls to his doom. And don't let him trick you into climbing back up early, his Dark Dive won't grab you if you're hanging on - his lag time from landing with it onto the stage is so terrible even Kirby can get a hit in on him before he can react. So make him land on the stage, ledge hop into a B-air, U-air, B-throw, or Swallowcide. Jumping out and hitting him before he makes it anywhere near the stage also works well.

Learn to utilize Short Hops more. They'll reduce the amount of time you're stuck in the air so you can fast-fall back to the ground and crouch/tilt/defend faster.

King Kirby 90

Smash Apprentice
Yeah t!Mmy already told you the most important things, but I want to add that if you want to play Kirby more seriously you will have to learn the sweetspotted Final Cutter onto the edge. You waste a lot of your time with hopping around the stage and when you use the Final Cutter it always goes above the edge and every other player would interrupt it with an uair or something and you have no chance to come back to the stage as there is no jump left. In the german smash boards I also told you to use the double bair when full jumping. But nevertheless you have to learn short hopping. One scene around 2:51 kinda suprised me as you have used the full jumped bair into a L-cancelled uair. I think for a beginner that's a really advanced maneuver to pull out.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Yay, King Kirby 90 is posting! Please drop in more often, we miss you!

NickOTeen

Smash Journeyman
I also found a few things I'd like to point out, if you guys don't mind.

First off, all three of your kills were very impressively pulled off. I particularly like the third one pulled out at 56%. Well done.

I'm sure you noticed at one point, you grabbed Ganny, threw him backwards, and he popped out (where you happened to attempt it again and succeeded the second time). Learn to not use those grabs competitively unless your opponent is at a high percentage. I've had people break out of them at near 70%, and it gets frustrating.

Also, at one point, you did a down throw, where Ganondorf tech rolled to the right. However, you didn't really move until he had recovered. Your down throw will slam them into the ground, and they really don't go anywhere UNLESS they tech roll. If he'd had recovered with an attack instead of evasion, it would have hit you and sent you reeling, giving him an opportunity. I'd suggest very shortly after the move dashing in one direction or another. Try to read them; they'll normally roll away from the closest ledge. Chasing them can set you up for another down throw (where, again, they normally roll back the direction they came from). If they roll the opposite direction from you, you're still out of harm's way and have the chance to rush back in with tilts or aerials. That's the strategy I go by, at least, and it's worked so far.

I hated the way you died a few times, but that's common with picking up a new character. Obviously practice and you'll be able to avoid some of the situations that ended some stocks easily. Good luck and keep up the good work!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Learn to not use those grabs competitively unless your opponent is at a high percentage.
No, the only time not to use them is against someone who is good at breaking out and has played against Kirby a lot (e.g. t0mmy). When they break out of a b-throw, you usually have enough time to hit them with a B-air, Tilt or Jab before they realize where they are and what is happening.

NickOTeen

Smash Journeyman
No, the only time not to use them is against someone who is good at breaking out and has played against Kirby a lot (e.g. t0mmy). When they break out of a b-throw, you usually have enough time to hit them with a B-air, Tilt or Jab before they realize where they are and what is happening.
I'll need to work on that, then, as I tend to have problems being able to capitalize from a broken grab. Thanks, T!mmy

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
The best one is when they get out of a f throw and you hit them with a b air while your still in the air. I could not stop laughing as i hit this marth player about 4 times with that until he quit trying to get out of the grab.

kirbario7

Smash Cadet
well im very good with kirby and hes one of my favorite characters (next to roy) andi saw a few mistakes.

First of I saw that you lost your first life doing a very bad move of using the up B move right as you jump off the edge my advice to that wait until he gets back on the stage then do the move.Second your timing was pretty bad no offense my advice to thatlearn when hes going to attack.Finnaly i have a technique of the suck swallow and the up A kick.

well ihope this advice helps.:)

Top Bottom