• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
King K.Rool is definitely the ballot winner. It's painfully obvious, and it's the one thing about Ultimate that really convinces me to buy it. Well, despite already having bought a Switch just for the game and Tropical Freeze Switch lol... But yeah. K.Rool is the ballot winner, and am happy about it.

Still, am sort of skeptical if Nintendo is even gonna let a next Donkey Kong game feature King K.Rool honestly. Smash's influence is kind of overrated. Look what influence Smash has on other first party titles for example. Rosalina hasn't appeared in Mario games since her being a newcomer in Smash 4, Sheik and Ganondorf are 4 times veterans and their most recent title is Hyrule Warriors, they haven't appeared in recent Zelda games outside of remakes. Mario has had F.L.U.D.D. since Brawl, but no Sunshine remake. Star Fox characters are popular in Smash, but the franchise won't do anything but StarFox 64 remakes... MOTHER 3 won't be translated ever, Daisy won't be in mainline Mario games, Fire Emblem 6 won't get a remake before 10 years or so, Final Fantasy 7 remake won't be on Switch, Metroid Prime 4 will most likely NOT have Dark Samus... Do I need to continue?

I think we must be extra thankful for King K.Rool being here because of this. Cause it might frankly be all we're gonna get.

On a more positive side, King K.Rool seems to have a real solid moveset and I could see him potentially being somewhat of a High Tier character.
I'm terms of K. Rools future I can see where your coming from but I think his situation is a little different.

While yes Ganondorf hasn't been in a game since Twilight Princess, Ganon is still a major presence in the game's he may not be in his Ganondorf persona but he's still there. Shiek is referenced decently enough, I mean her armor is in Breath of the Wild as is Ganondorfs.. we don't know if Dark Samus will show up and considering it's the Metroid Prime, it could return. The fact that Star Fox keeps getting remade over and over speaks volumes to its popularity and they just a very successful crossover. Rosalina was in SM3DW her first miss was Odyssey but I mean she's a mainstay in Spinoffs. I guess what I'm trying to say is while you are right about man of these characters current status they are still utilized in other ways and are openly referenced still and stay "relevant" to gamers today despite their older appearances. K. Rool hasn't had that luxury until now but now Nintendo sees just how popular he is, the fan reaction to his inclusion was enormous, and the fact that he probably crushed the ballot shows how much he's wanted. The thing that makes K. Rool differ from Rosalina, Shiek, Dark Samus, etc. Is hes the main antagonist of his series in the same way as Bowser... and I can't see that fact plus his popularity not factoring in to his return.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
BTW, how great would it have been if, during the World of Light trailer, K Rool was shown playing dead to avoid the light beams? :D

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't want to be a downer right now, but part of me thinks that King K. Rool will have some match-up issues if he goes up against fighters who have reflector moves.

Take Fox for instance. His Reflector could counter K. Rool's crown and cannonballs, forcing K. Rool to have to approach. Also, the Villager has Pocket, so that could throw a big monkey wrench at K. Rool's projectile game.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I don't want to be a downer right now, but part of me thinks that King K. Rool will have some match-up issues if he goes up against fighters who have reflector moves.

Take Fox for instance. His Reflector could counter K. Rool's crown and cannonballs, forcing K. Rool to have to approach. Also, the Villager has Pocket, so that could throw a big monkey wrench at K. Rool's projectile game.
Yeah, characters that have projectile counters in general are going to be a bit difficult for K. Rool. Hopefully the superarmor on some of his moves will help him approach though. That nair should really help in that case.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Am I a little worried about his future yes? But the fact that fan demand, and passion for the character brought him back is a big postive.

Could he big cut in the next Smash maybe? Might he not be the main antagonist in DKR3 with the Kremlings? Possibly not

But the fact we showed we wanted him back is probably a plus, and A I believe that will lead to him returning in future Smash games from hence forth, and being in future DKC's maybe as a cameo but hopefully as main villain.

The future is uncertain but for our Kremling King it's bright and filled with possibility, and above all else that should be celebrated and admired for truly this deranged croc has won us all over and if Nintendo dosen't see that now. They truly are missing out on bring back a great baddie that we all adore, and hopefully they know he should be back going forward here on out. So for now let's hold our heads high.

King K. Rool Incineroar wrestling I can't that's just perfect.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think truly the worrying about K. Rool at this point is worrying for worrying sake.

Getting into Smash bros is hard. Getting into THIS Smash Bros in particular was very hard. But K. Rool still made it. I think his future is assured in the DK series.

I certainly wish we all had a future as assured as King K Rool. Lol.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'd bet on winning the lottery before betting that K. Rool will not return to the DK series.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Did King K Rool amiibo sell out already? Damn it. Should have bought it yesterday.
It's been 3 days and it's already sold out.

And people tried telling us we're a vocal minority.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Can't he just suck up his cannonball if it gets reflected back at him?

D

Deleted member

Sold out already huh?

How's that for a so called relevant character eh haters? Respect to them though.

He looks great in Amiibo form.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah, characters that have projectile counters in general are going to be a bit difficult for K. Rool. Hopefully the superarmor on some of his moves will help him approach though. That nair should really help in that case.
No amount of armor will protect King K. Rool from grab moves though, so he does have to watch out for attacks like Flying Slam, Falcon Dive, and Flame Choke. Even frame 6 grabs can be a problem if King K. Rool's overall moveset suffers from a good amount of start-up lag.

Can't he just suck up his cannonball if it gets reflected back at him?
Even if that were the case, it wouldn't help K. Rool much if his target is far away.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
No amount of armor will protect King K. Rool from grab moves though, so he does have to watch out for attacks like Flying Slam, Falcon Dive, and Flame Choke. Even frame 6 grabs can be a problem if King K. Rool's overall moveset suffers from a good amount of start-up lag.

Even if that were the case, it wouldn't help K. Rool much if his target is far away.
K Rool does have decent normals to swat away running grabs, and most characters who have grabs like that would have to navigate around Cannonballs and Krowns, which can be a problem for the likes of Ganon, Incineroar, or Falcon who approach very linearly. The end lag on the Cannonballs isn't too bad, so he should be fine to use it to setup walls.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
K Rool does have decent normals to swat away running grabs, and most characters who have grabs like that would have to navigate around Cannonballs and Krowns, which can be a problem for the likes of Ganon, Incineroar, or Falcon who approach very linearly. The end lag on the Cannonballs isn't too bad, so he should be fine to use it to setup walls.
For a fighter who lacks any kind of reflector, that would definitely be something to keep in mind. I'm just concerned that once you start talking about fighters like Fox, Falco, Pit, Palutena, Villager, and even Rosalina, they could potentially contain his projectile options with their projectile countering moves.

But we'll just have to see how well King K. Rool fares against everyone. For the time being though, I feel that fighters with reflectors could end up limiting King K. Rool's long-ranged assaults. They might not put him at a huge disadvantage, but being required to fight such fighters directly could be a problem if he can't overcome their projectile assaults; for an example, Fox's Blaster could build up K. Rool's damage, and he has no reflector to get past that.

D

Deleted member

Characters with reflector moves can be a problem.

But I think he'll fair well.

Just got to get our hands on him and people will come up with strategies for him.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
For a fighter who lacks any kind of reflector, that would definitely be something to keep in mind. I'm just concerned that once you start talking about fighters like Fox, Falco, Pit, Palutena, Villager, and even Rosalina, they could potentially contain his projectile options with their projectile countering moves.

But we'll just have to see how well King K. Rool fares against everyone. For the time being though, I feel that fighters with reflectors could end up limiting King K. Rool's long-ranged assaults. They might not put him at a huge disadvantage, but being required to fight such fighters directly could be a problem if he can't overcome their projectile assaults; for an example, Fox's Blaster could build up K. Rool's damage, and he has no reflector to get past that.
I mean, I was just talking about grabs. Bringing in reflectors is another conversation entirely.

Other than Fox, none of them are really speedy enough to land real punishes after reflecting, and most would just take the opportunity to go back to their gameplans or take their turn rather than getting something concrete. Which isn't GOOD for K Rool, but not as damaging as it could be to others. K Rool's not really out to win a projectile war with anyone built to do the same. Just that he has tools to compete until he can find an opportunity to close the gap. Fox, next to Marth, is definitely one of the matchups that's on my radar for being super bad though.

That does make me wonder if they changed the Reflect Cap though. Seems like a small detail no one would think to look for in a demo.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
The Japanese footage we just got has a ton of talented players you should check out. We haven't seen a genuine beatdown like this one since K. Rool v Snake in that exhibition video a few weeks back.

K. Rool may be fast but previously fast characters will be too. This leads me to believe spacies and swordsmen will be most fearful of K. Rool's Nair, counter, grabs, and crown mix-ups if he can get them out in time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JdFeMiC2ZAw

Last edited:

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
I'm terms of K. Rools future I can see where your coming from but I think his situation is a little different.

While yes Ganondorf hasn't been in a game since Twilight Princess, Ganon is still a major presence in the game's he may not be in his Ganondorf persona but he's still there. Shiek is referenced decently enough, I mean her armor is in Breath of the Wild as is Ganondorfs.. we don't know if Dark Samus will show up and considering it's the Metroid Prime, it could return. The fact that Star Fox keeps getting remade over and over speaks volumes to its popularity and they just a very successful crossover. Rosalina was in SM3DW her first miss was Odyssey but I mean she's a mainstay in Spinoffs. I guess what I'm trying to say is while you are right about man of these characters current status they are still utilized in other ways and are openly referenced still and stay "relevant" to gamers today despite their older appearances. K. Rool hasn't had that luxury until now but now Nintendo sees just how popular he is, the fan reaction to his inclusion was enormous, and the fact that he probably crushed the ballot shows how much he's wanted. The thing that makes K. Rool differ from Rosalina, Shiek, Dark Samus, etc. Is hes the main antagonist of his series in the same way as Bowser... and I can't see that fact plus his popularity not factoring in to his return.
Dark Samus is dead and phazon is gone, so no chance of her returning, but that's merely a story-related reason, not her being irrelevant.

And K. Rool's blunderbuss can suck in anything. At any rate, his projectiles aren't super good anyway, so they'll merely be a distraction tool in his strategy.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Btw, I might be late into this, but has the ``Thank You`` card for including:ultkrool: signed by our usernames already sent to Sakurai? :D

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
I actually do think that based on who got into the base roster we can almost definitively say that King K. Rool actually won the ballot (at least out of "realizable" / non-returning characters). Out of all the newcomers, he was the only one that got directly mentioned with the ballot. It is insane how without this fan poll K. Rool probably would've just been dead forever, with maybe a cameo or two in like 5 years.

I feel super awful for the people whose characters were Assist Trophies in Smash 4. I'm sure some of the characters like Skull Kid and Waluigi were probably denied a lot of votes because their fans thought that it was a fruitless effort to vote for them. I wish they made it explicitly clear that assist trophies could get votes so they could've gotten a complete, definitive list of their most popular characters.

All in all, K. Rool got in at literally the perfect time. If that ballot was any sooner or later than it was he may have been screwed completely.

I really, really, really hope Nintendo does another one of these fan polls sometime in the near future. The fact that they thought K. Rool was highly unpopular when in reality he turned out to be the most talked about newcomer (probably I don't have concrete numbers but going off of Youtube alone this is the case) makes me wonder how many other characters have been unfairly abandoned.

On a side note, I'd love to see K. Rool in Super Mario Party DLC or something like Mario Tennis Aces. I'd love to see him incorporated into Mario spin-offs like DK and Diddy, I think he'd fit in really well and with him being in Smash it feels like a perfect opportunity to do so.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
King K.Rool is definitely the ballot winner. It's painfully obvious
Whoa, now. Hold your horses. We don't know that for sure. Until Sakurai officially releases the results of the Ballot, we won't know the true winner, and I don't think we ever will unless he wants the apocalypse to happen. Regardless, K. Rool definitely was one of the top most voted characters. We know that much.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Dark Samus is dead and phazon is gone, so no chance of her returning, but that's merely a story-related reason, not her being irrelevant.

And K. Rool's blunderbuss can suck in anything. At any rate, his projectiles aren't super good anyway, so they'll merely be a distraction tool in his strategy.

That's true but there was a Dark Samus esque enemy in Fusion.. they could always do a new incarnation in some way... maybe. I mean I'd like to see it. The Fusion Samus was creepy even in a Game boy game. I'd like to see Dark Samus in one way or another be a regular enemy

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
King K Rool is my favorite newcomer! Super Smash Bros Ultimate is going to be alot kooler with him aboard.. Welcome to The Klub K Rool! :ultkrool:
King K Rool 10.png

Last edited:

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Whoa, now. Hold your horses. We don't know that for sure. Until Sakurai officially releases the results of the Ballot, we won't know the true winner, and I don't think we ever will unless he wants the apocalypse to happen. Regardless, K. Rool definitely was one of the top most voted characters. We know that much.
I'd say we have enough information to at least rule it a theory. Excluding veterans, he's the only Ultimate newcomer who had a large ballot following. Ridley's votes were probably cut in half due to him being a stage boss, Inklings likely didn't have quite the same amount of support as us, the Belmonts and Isabelle didn't have much of a demand at all on most fan polls, and everyone was calling for Decidueye as the gen 7 Pokemon rep. The echoes were easy additions and mostly consist of characters who were popular on the fan polls, but much less so than characters like K. Rool, who would consistently rank 1st.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
How fast is his dash? I recall reading he has good mobility but his walk seems really slow so his dash must be good?
Anyways, I can't believe a slow heavy is actually going to be viable in the meta game without a stupid gimmick
That hasn't happened since brawl dedede
Yes I know dthrow chain grab exists for dedede don't shoot me I just hate smash 4 bows/DK, and K rool has proven that he is gonna be amazing without a stupid hoo hah gimmick, he has plenty of variety to his game. Projectiles, combos, amazing kill power, and mobility, all wrapped up with a stupidly good recovery, so take your objections and GET OUT

Pep1to

Smash Journeyman
Hello Gentlemen! A future K rool main here. Out of the footage we have seen from him. How do you think our king will do vs previous top ties like Bayo, Cloud etc?

One big plus, from what I have seen is that the airdodge mechanics (if you dodge to right or left) are going to help us not to get juggled as much as if we had previous airdodge mechanics.

One thing that scares me, is if we are even going to have the time to throw out the crown for tech chases, trap them on shield etc vs very fast characters. It would surprise me a lot if we even are lucky and have time to use the blunderbuss close range.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I just can’t get over how well K. Rool animates in this game. While I’ve wanted him for a loooong time now, I could never quite picture how he would move and act if he were to get in Smash. So, while I had no expectations, they definetley achieved something even better than I could’ve thought up. Everything about him is just... perfect here. :ultkrool:

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Jeesh, I really want his amiibo, but the UK/Ireland site doesn't even feature his' yet.
Wonder when it'll pop up.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Hello Gentlemen! A future K rool main here. Out of the footage we have seen from him. How do you think our king will do vs previous top ties like Bayo, Cloud etc?
Let's see here...
He'll probably go even with netta, she doesn't really have a way around our projectiles any more and most of her combo game is useless on us since she can't really kill us due to her nerfs and because we're heavy. But we are still bigg so...Bad times

Cloud, its hard to say, I wanna say -1, we can keep him out decently well and down throw trolls super hard but up air exists so...I can see him juggling our fat ass super damn well but also he gets gimped at low percents.

Diddy, no one knows yet he seems bad for us but also dtilt usmash is dead so....

Sheik? Even, still hinges on how we use down throw or the chest plate armor. We are heavy so we can't really be killed to easily, also our recovery is super hard to contest.

Rosa? Idk I'll update this later.

Zss, lol

Fox is dead
Sonic is also dead

Mewtwo is probably -1, he can easily weave his way past most of our projectiles while his range gives k rool the finger. And unlike sheik he actually can kill at a good percent.

Mario, I don't know, probably even, he could probably keep mario out extremely well with projectiles and better range but he's bigg so mario could easily combo him, though with the nerfs to his throw combos this might not be that bad, leaning towards +1 but it's probably even.

Marth, definite +1, projectiles and intangible limbs are 2 things marth hates

Ryu, even, this one seems bad for him but crown throw and blunderbuss make it hell for ryu to approach and get in.

K rool's only big problem is just that, he's big.

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Cloud, its hard to say, I wanna say -1, we can keep him out decently well and down throw trolls super hard but up air exists so...I can see him juggling our fat *** super damn well but also he gets gimped at low percents.
Between Nair and Counter, juggling is not the issue. It's more about the combination of speed and hitboxes. K Rool can handle speed, he can handle hitboxes. He cannot handle both together. His own hitboxes are very linear and slow, with a few like Utilt and Bair being exceptions. Cloud should be able to bob and weave around everything K Rool's got.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
One thing that scares me, is if we are even going to have the time to throw out the crown for tech chases, trap them on shield etc vs very fast characters. It would surprise me a lot if we even are lucky and have time to use the blunderbuss close range.
If the fighter can snatch K. Rool's crown, then that kind of strategy wouldn't work out too well. Villager and Rosalina are probably the most notable fighters to keep in mind, as Pocket and Gravitational Pull could steal the crown.

D

Deleted member

Will keep that in mind certain characters to watch out.

We'll see what happens no doubt.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
If the fighter can snatch K. Rool's crown, then that kind of strategy wouldn't work out too well. Villager and Rosalina are probably the most notable fighters to keep in mind, as Pocket and Gravitational Pull could steal the crown.
Rosa is most likely worse now, I doubt k rool’s worst MU would be rosa of all characters, villager I can see a little more clearly since he’s super damn spammy and can put up walls and since k rool is a big man boi he won’t really like dealing with those walls, that and villager is one of the few characters who can deal with k rools recovery bull crap without leaving the stage, bowling ball craps all over k rools propeller I imagine. Villager will definitely be a -1 or maybe even -1.5 imo

Actually now that I think of it, villager might actually be amazing in ultimate his walls and camp actually seems much harder to deal with and his up close seems much better too, and furthermore he also seems to be able to kill a lot better too

Last edited:
Top Bottom