• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Wait wait, what's all this news about Retro Studios shutting down? I really hope this is'nt true, I'm planning to work for them one day, honestly!

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I hope the ballot was in fact sign of thing to come for this game. K. Rool's chances then just shot up again, possibly. :)
I'm noticing a surge in viewership on this thread in light of the recent DLC news, and people quickly figuring out what the Ballot really meant, and that was for Smash Ultimate. And I think that just maybe, the Mii Costumes we got were signs of things to come.
Being both a K. Rool supporter and Geno supporter, I hope so too. Please let this be a sign of things to come!

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
As far as Retro is concerned, I Googled quickly and found nothing about them closing. :) Site and accounts are all still up and running! I'd hate to see them close, they're some of my gamedev idols, aside from Sakurai!

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
I sure didn't mean to dump on Daisy fans, for sure. I'm just a little envious. :(
I also don't like Daisy, mainly for some of her fans who seem deluded to me. I don't believe she deserves the spot and it's definitely frustrating seeing her fans talk like, "The prophecy has been fulfilled! Justice does exist!" when she's about as important to Mario as Waluigi. She's basically a sports filler character at this point and doesn't fit in with all the characters who are essential to their respective series in the game. If she took more development time than an echo, I'd certainly feel like someone else was robbed their rightful spot on the roster. But since she's hasn't, I'm happy that her fans got what they wanted.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I kind of wouldn't be surprised if Retro was closing.

They have supposedly been working on a new Project since DKCR2 came out, and there hasn't been a single sign of it.

Something's gotta be going on.

Metroid Prime is being worked on by a different studio as well

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Snowmad and Crap-Zapper, you have a point. Daisy's development was maybe an afterthought?

The wait's killing me, though. D: I know it's just a game, but it's a little stressful to me.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Apparently the Kritters were originally meant as a new enemy for the Battletoads

IDK how many of y'all have seen this

Last edited:

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
I'm hoping this whole new thinking about the ballot is the case. It opens the door for K. Rool a lot more and fits into to what we believe and have been seeing with ultimate so far. Seems like we may have just gotten yet another boost to our chances.

D

Deleted member

Apparently the Kritters were originally meant as a new enemy for the Battletoads

IDK how many of y'all have seen this
Actually, the Kremlings originated from a Cancelled PC/Mac adventure game called Jonny Blastoff and the Kremling Armada.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Actually, the Kremlings originated from a Cancelled PC/Mac adventure game called Jonny Blastoff and the Kremling Armada.

Well, so much for the legitimacy of Gamexplain

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Finally updated my signature with my brand new wishlist (and yes, Master Chief is there, i'm kinda poking fun at people who think Steve from Minecraft has a huge chance ;), no offence to them btw)

King K. Rool is my number one and as such is at the very top ^_^

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So the ballot revelation tonight sure was something.

Mainly wanted to clear the air a bit. I won't lie, I really like K. Rool, but the post-ballot fallout (not necessarily here, but elsewhere) kinda killed my hype for the croc initially. And for a good while I was bitter to the idea. Jaded, perhaps, too. But then the Waluigi fallout happened and I saw how much it sucked to be lumped in with a small bunch of loons tarnishing a character's reputation and I realized how unfair I was being, considering I'm a big Waluigi fan. But even then I was still skeptical of his odds (which, to be fair, I don't think is unreasonable). I definitely thought he did well enough on the ballot, since I was an early adopter of the "Costume Consolation" theory, but the extent of his true popularity was always a bit of a question mark to me.

But with this new information, I have every reason to think at least a couple of characters will be ballot-based. Call it a hunch, but...I'm a lot more confident in the odds of the obese overlord. :p

Good luck out there, Kremling Krew.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Y'know, people say apes age faster than humans, and that's why Cranky is so much older than Mario

BUT, Donkey Kong was seen as a baby the same time as Mario, so that must mean he's around the same age.

I kind of feel like the combination of Cranky Kong and Baby DK, as well as DK Jr made the Mario timeline impossible

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Apparently the ballot may of been a scam in Smash 4 and Corrin and Bayonetta started development just 2 weeks after the ballot began. It supports my theory that the ballot would be used for this game.

Timeline:
1st April - Ballot begins
2 weeks after - Cloud and Bayonetta begin development
Around June - Corrin begins development
July - Sakurai sees King K. Rool is high on the ballot but since Bayonetta is already in development he gives fans a mii costume to compensate.
December - King K. Rool is put onto the roster and Smash Ultimate project plan is completed.

Last edited:

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
Things make a lot more sense now after all this. Other than cloud Roy and lucas the other half never made sense and didn't fit right with me for being the results of the ballot. Especially Bayonetta, another actual gun user (which has and seemed to be part of why snake didn't get in) plus the the whole concept of the character.

That's ignoring legitimate legal issues that always get thrown at K.Rool they would have to deal with in that short period. Feels like these characters were already planned before hand and the ballot was clearly for Ultimate. All of this bodes well for K.Rool and the other popular recognised picks.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
A little off-topic but since Retro Studios has been MIA and a recent rumor seems to point to Retro Studios closing up shop soon who out of Nintendo's stable would you like to see take over the series next? I think Monster Games would be a decent fit to take over the franchise since they helped on development for Tropical Freeze and did the 3D port of Returns. Also their racing games like Excite Truck/Bots are good and wouldn't mind them making a new Diddy Kong Racing or hell another DK racer in general. If not them maybe Bandai Namco? No I definitely don't want a 3rd Konga game but maybe they could do to the Country series what their (rumored) to be doing with Prime 4.

We know they know how to work with Nintendo IP in the past maybe give DK another shot but this time not in a rhythmy gimmick game. I say them because if they took over the series there would be no doubt in my mind they would use Kremlings and K.Rool. Since namco is the only one in recent years to do anything with the character. Whether that being adding him as a playable character in Mario Super Sluggers or giving him a Mii costume in Wii U/3DS and using the Kritters in Smash Run.
I know this would never happen, but I'd actually like to see Nintendo surprise us and say Rare was returning to work on the DK series again. Considering how great their relationship is with Microsoft now and how Rare developed games on the GBA and DS (with their remakes), I think that'd be one hell of a treat for us fans. If not then just give us another remake (DK 64 pls).

Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind Playtonic Games taking over as they're made up of some old Rare staff members. Sadly, that's also another pipe dream.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
On topic with the whole ballot revelation coming into light, I'd like to say how strange it was for Bayonetta to win. This isn't even about K. Rool at this point. You're telling me popular 1st party picks like Ridley, Geno, Issac, Krystal, Bandanna Dee and 3rd party picks like Simon Belmont, Rayman, Bomberman, or even Travis Touchdown (who has more history on Nintendo than Bayo) lost to her? That just seemed really off to me. I also find it strange that Japan was never brought up when talking about the results to the ballot. I feel like they were betrayed the most in this scenario. It's as if their voices didn't really matter.

Now we can continue to hope that the ballot will have a major influence on the roster and we end up getting K. Rool as one of the popular picks from it. I think this is all a good sign of things to come. I guess all we can do now is be patient and hope for the best.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Y'know, people say apes age faster than humans, and that's why Cranky is so much older than Mario

BUT, Donkey Kong was seen as a baby the same time as Mario, so that must mean he's around the same age.

I kind of feel like the combination of Cranky Kong and Baby DK, as well as DK Jr made the Mario timeline impossible
Yoshi's Island DS doesn't make sense anyway.

Wait, scratch that, EVERY Yoshi's Island game that isn't the original makes no sense (Yoshi's Story and Woolly World are cool though).

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I feel great about the Bayonetta revelations, because as noted:

I guess if anything is to be taken away from this is that Sakurai added Bayonetta without the influence of the ballot. People said that 3rd party characters needed to be iconic, and they only made an exception for Bayonetta, because she was the ballot winner. Now we know that's not the case,
And now nobody has any business to say that Bayonetta was a exception to the whole supposed third-party icon rule because of the ballot. I'm just happy we can finally put this ridiculous fan assumption to rest. The fact people genuinely still clinged on to this assumption that third-parties need to be icons after Beyonetta being included and Geno being wanted by Sakurai is the height of denial.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I feel great about the Bayonetta revelations, because as noted:

And now nobody has any business to say that Bayonetta was a exception to the whole supposed third-party icon rule because of the ballot. I'm just happy we can finally put this ridiculous fan assumption to rest. The fact people genuinely still clinged on to this assumption that third-parties need to be icons after Beyonetta being included and Geno being wanted by Sakurai is the height of denial.
With that, the sky's the limit now (for companies that are still alive)! Only thing left is to prove that Western third-parties are viable.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Just a thought, but I noticed with most of the costumes that their designs seems specifically designed with the Mii's body in mind. K. Rool's costume sort of sticks out because it looks less like a costume and more like they just strapped a full body model onto a Mii and removed the lower jaw. It honestly looks like the design itself wasn't even intended to be a costume.
Interesting point you brought up, seeing as the K. Rool Mii costume has a bigger torso than any other Mii costume and only the K. Rool Mii costume is like this. Also, the other Mii caps are more spherical in shape in comparison to the K. Rool cap.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Another point in the column of "they were saving the ballot for this game" is the finding that Corrin was the last character added to Wii U. That could've been a second character from the ballot, but in all likelihood, they knew the Wii U was a sinking ship. Through that lens, it makes perfect sense to save your meat and potatoes for the Switch while making an attempt to advertise FE's newest game through a character that, if they weren't DLC, probably would've been a Switch newcomer for that purpose anyway.

I wish I had the foresight then to see it like I do now. After all, there had already been job postings for "Smash 6" in early 2015.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
On topic with the whole ballot revelation coming into light, I'd like to say how strange it was for Bayonetta to win. This isn't even about K. Rool at this point. You're telling me popular 1st party picks like Ridley, Geno, Issac, Krystal, Bandanna Dee and 3rd party picks like Simon Belmont, Rayman, Bomberman, or even Travis Touchdown (who has more history on Nintendo than Bayo) lost to her? That just seemed really off to me. I also find it strange that Japan was never brought up when talking about the results to the ballot. I feel like they were betrayed the most in this scenario. It's as if their voices didn't really matter.

Now we can continue to hope that the ballot will have a major influence on the roster and we end up getting K. Rool as one of the popular picks from it. I think this is all a good sign of things to come. I guess all we can do now is be patient and hope for the best.
Thing is, they only lost in the sense that they weren’t chosen. Nothing ever really said the top character would be chosen not to mention we still don’t have a clue how popular some of those characters really are. Even with this ballot news, it still wouldnt necessarily mean. Who being top 5 in the US or #1 in Europe is false. As for Japan, my guess is she probably wasn’t that high in Japan considering it wasn’t mentioned. Regardless I don’t think this changes anything for K. Rool as I figured ballot picks would have been contenders for this game even before this ballot news came out.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
What's up with the new name of the thread?
I panicked, went to the Smash Bros page in fear that K. Rool was confirmed as an assist trophy or something!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I panicked, went to the Smash Bros page in fear that K. Rool was confirmed as an assist trophy or something!
Nope. Just a lot of giddy people, like a certain someone in the Game Over sequence:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Wuddd.png

In all my years of playing video games, Game Over has always meant, you lost.
Of course my first reaction would think something negative has happened.

If it is that everyone else has lost, and not the King, then we are falling into the wrong path.
Nothing is set in stone. Like Ridley, I can't believe it until I see it with my own eyes.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
I had a dream last night. Dixie was revealed and she was smaller than Diddy, not by much but she was mostly unique. I also faintly saw this thread with the title "Thanks for the many years of support." Before I woke up. Take that as you will.

D

Deleted member

In the DK 64 Game Over, K.Rool laughs.

And this is a laugh of vindication.

After beign constantly mocked and beign seen as the Konspiracy theorists of the Internet, this recent turn of events are undeniable evidence of Bayo wasn't as popular as people asssumed and that she was added because, to quote Atsushi Inaba (someone who works at Platinum) "Sakurai really liked the character", and everything that has been found lines up to 2 ideas:

1-The Ballot will be used primarily for Ultimate, so highly requested character like K.Rool stand a much better chance and character inlcusions like Elma (who likely wasn't as requested in the Ballot) are the exception, not the norm. The Mii costumes gives us an idea of who could those be (Geno's Smash Popularity is so notorious that almost anyone that knows about Geno knows about him beign wanted in Smash, and K.Rool speaks for himself)

2-Bayonetta was added before the Ballot even happened, and they used her as "The Ballot Winner" and used legal disclaimers ("among realizable characters") in order to cover up the truth (see point 1)

It's been proven that Bayo started develoment waaaay before the Ballot ended (and no, the "beign added based on early Ballot results" excuse doesn't cut it, that's just a pointless assumption that tries to justify a scenario that already has a much more believeable explanation that we just saw yesterday)

I honestly already saw this being the reality as far back as late 2017, where an user gathered the evidence and showed me the truth, and everything that user said lines up with what has happened recently. Anyone that was part of the Smash 4 K.Rool threads (the public forums and now defunct Social Groups) may be familiar with that user.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
This news is great but also I'm glad.... I had been saying Beyo didn't come from the ballot since her reveal and I was torn apart by people both on and off Smashboards for it... I was called "salty" and an "angry K. Rool fanboy" amongst other things... I'm so glad this info has come to light because I wasn't crazy.

The ballot was for ultimate, Nintendo knew the Wii U was done when Smash Wii U wasn't selling consoles enough, and the Switch was already in motion. They told Sakurai to plan out a new game for their upcoming system which was in the release window of the next 5 years to try and make up for the losses. They planned from that moment and made the ballot to plan for the next iteration of the game while using to market the current one's DLC as a bonus. The characters chosen for DLC where already planned and chosen before the ballot. Some of the Mii costumes absolutely came from the ballot.. as a quick means to agknowledge popular ballot picks. This totally backs up what I and quite a few others on this board have been saying for years.

I'm really hoping this is our time..

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Things are definitely looking on the up and up for our King. I hesitate to get too hopeful after the last two times especially during Smash Wii U, but there’s some very strong positives for us right now.

It was always a little suspect that they had a playable model for Bayo ready to go in two months, but this bodes pretty well for us I think. Keep that hope! We’re so close!

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
Apparently the ballot may of been a scam in Smash 4 and Corrin and Bayonetta started development just 2 weeks after the ballot began. It supports my theory that the ballot would be used for this game.

Timeline:
1st April - Ballot begins
2 weeks after - Cloud and Bayonetta begin development
Around June - Corrin begins development
July - Sakurai sees King K. Rool is high on the ballot but since Bayonetta is already in development he gives fans a mii costume to compensate.
December - King K. Rool is put onto the roster and Smash Ultimate project plan is completed.
January 2019 - people are crying that K.Rool is OP

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
In that game over king k rool is laughing and activating the cannon to destroy the island and successfully happens

For this case the dataminers found the evidence Nintendo lied about bayonetta being the winner which I suspected she was started with cloud two weeks after the ballot stArted
(By the way they are reliable sources)

So king k rool being the "most voted for overall" (relizable votes wise) may have Ben correct all along

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of the ballot it should have been clear that Bayonetta* wasn't the winner. It doesn't take four months to make a character, not from what I saw with her and Corrin. These things are planned in advance like with Sakurai's project plan for Ultimate the same month those two were revealed. I know she got votes, but far beyond what Sakurai stated she had. The 'realizable' statement only confirms it. Had the realizable statement not been made, they could have gotten away with saying Bayonetta* was the winner, though that would still cause some speculation and eventual datamining. What really angered me was not that Bayonetta* won but all the people jumping on the bandwagon stating they voted for her and everyone saying otherwise being salty and bitter. Even now, people are still holding onto her being the winner. The little reference to Bayonetta (The game) with Zero Suit Samus and even her tacky heels was enough to put two and two together, and I even said she could have used Samus as a base while Cloud also used Ike as a base as well, and lo and behold. Same with Ness and Lucas and Roy and Marth.

In fact, that was the moment right there where she could have been negotiated as a fighter with that image of Zamus in front of the moon. I'm glad people are seeing this for what it was, and while I don't have an issue with Bayonetta* herself, it was the way she was handled and treated that made me mad though Corrin ran me and everyone else at the DKVine at the time up the wall enough.

Bootortle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J-Dudd
3DS FC
0259-0284-1711
Switch FC
SW-4554-3900-0616
Imagine all the shenanigans that would be possible with the weird blunderbuss effects
slowing, reverse controls, etc.
thinking about it, the little vacuum wave could even serve as a grab
heck, maybe that could make him "vulnerable" like with ridley's plasma breath charge, and throwing something into the thing would do a good chunk of damage

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
He didn’t necessarily lie. He worded what he said very carefully, and that was evident even back then. Of course, detractors will take what he said at face value because it’s how they work.

Still, bodes well for actual ballot picks in Ultimate.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I still don't get what the big deal is, guys...

Sakurai's exact words were "Among the negotiable and realizable characters, Boyonetta was 1st worldwide"

He never even said K. Rool didn't do well. or that Bayo "Won", just that she was 1st in the EU and top 5 here, which is reasonable! Hwll, even if they DID rig it, so what? It's not like they'll say "Here's the REAL winner of the ballot!"

Even if you read what the ballot rules say, they state "We'll CONSIDER making them a payable fighter!" Not "WE WILL!"

Top Bottom