• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

king k rool wont make it in, he is owned by microsoft now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peekolow

Smash Cadet
the only character from the DK series that has a chance of getting in is dixie kong, she is from the forbidden 7 and all of the kremlings belong to rareware. k rool was in mario sluggers which is a confusing twist to me. microsoft made an agreement to have rareware games on handheld devices. diddy kong racing was on the ds. grunty's revenge (is that considered a game?)

Do you know that for sure, though?

To my understanding, Nintendo acquired all of Rare's original DK properties before Rare was sold off, including all the Kong and Kremling characters. (Amusingly, even MS execs didn't know this at the time.)

However, it's still curious that the Kremlings are shunned in the newer DK games, and that the DKC games were removed from virtual console. Maybe Nintendo recently discovered they don't own all of Rare's contributions to the DK series after all.

Peekolow

Smash Cadet
Do you know that for sure, though?

To my understanding, Nintendo acquired all of Rare's original DK properties before Rare was sold off, including all the Kong and Kremling characters. (Amusingly, even MS execs didn't know this at the time.)

However, it's still curious that the Kremlings are shunned in the newer DK games, and that the DKC games were removed from virtual console. Maybe Nintendo recently discovered they don't own all of Rare's contributions to the DK series after all.
well, the kremlings were not in donkey kong country returns, i'm not sure about dk tropical freeze since it came when? yesterday? and the kremlings were in the DKC. even though, they made a remake on the GBA of the DKC triology, the kremlings are in it, same with the virtual console. the only thing I know about nintendo owning Rare is the fact that they have handheld games based off rareware games.

Popo Nana Power

Smash Apprentice
Uh, no he is not. All Donkey Kong Country characters are 100% owned by Nintendo. Hence why there are zero credits to Rare or Microsoft in the spin-off Mario games K. Rool has appeared in.

The only reason Retro hasn't made Kremlings the antagonists is because they wanted something new.

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
Uh, no he is not. All Donkey Kong Country characters are 100% owned by Nintendo. Hence why there are zero credits to Rare or Microsoft in the spin-off Mario games K. Rool has appeared in.

The only reason Retro hasn't made Kremlings the antagonists is because they wanted something new.
This. Retro specifically mentioned in an interview that they could have brought the Kremlings back, but decided they didn't need to and instead created their own cast of baddies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Doesn't really warrant its own thread, especially when K. Rool is 100% Nintendo property. Rare created the additional Kongs and the Kremlings, but own none of it today. Case in point, BluePikmin11's link and K. Rool's trophy in Brawl.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah King. K. Rool is 100% owned by Nintendo as he still made some appearances on a number of Nintendo games after Rare was bought out.

Guess I might as well lock this thread now.

*locked*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom