• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
King Dedede can float like Kirby, and vacuum suck like Kirby. These two traits alone would lead me to believe that he WILL be a heavier Kirby, albeit with a couple different moves like Luigi and Mario (ForwardB and A moves).
His suck in thing is more like Kirby's throw power from the games than kirby's vacuum suck

Hong

The Strongest
Dedede is supposed to have some moves that are intentionally supposed to be copy-cat versions of Kirby (Floating and inhaling for example) but hammers attacks and his fat body will make the heart of his moveset.

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
Well, whether mechanized hammer means just a weapon or that it has gadgets, it's going to be awesome for me. Wouldn't that be kind of funny though? He just holds it up and a huge boxing glove springs out and knocks somebody off a cliff. **** I want this game.

the homosaurus rex

Smash Cadet
I really don't see that happening. I would say King Dedede would be as much as a Kirby clone; as Ike is a Link clone. This is Sakurai's personal creation we're talking about. You can be assured that he's going to have a very unique moveset.

-Knight
Just because Ike has a sword doesn't mean he's a Link clone. I mean, ffs, look at Marth and Link in Melee.

If you've played Kirby games, you know King Dedede can float and vacuum suck, he does it often, and he's known for it, therefore, he will be similar to Kirby in those aspects. For him not to float or vacuum suck would be him not really being King Dedede.

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
Just because Ike has a sword doesn't mean he's a Link clone. I mean, ffs, look at Marth and Link in Melee.

If you've played Kirby games, you know King Dedede can float and vacuum suck, he does it often, and he's known for it, therefore, he will be similar to Kirby in those aspects. For him not to float or vacuum suck would be him not really being King Dedede.
Very true, but I think a compromise can be reached in application terms. For instance someone else mentioned using his vacuum suck as a Final Smash, but instead he starts sucking for a long time and then blows everything that collects in his mouth out at extreme speeds. And yet another individual (I should start remembering names...) thought that his puff might be more limited or work more like a glide than actually going upwards. This is how I believe we'll see those abilities used. The B moves I expect to not use the sucking power.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord

-_-" My goodness you didn't get the point at all. I was expressing the fact that Kirby and King Dedede would be vastly different than each other despite sharing some moves. Ike and Link slash with a sword don't they? Of course they do, however they do it in different ways.

-Knight

Repryx

Smash Champion
Im willing to wager that Dedede's FS will be something that goes around the mallet an explosions as opposed to sucking thn explosions

the homosaurus rex

Smash Cadet
-_-" My goodness you didn't get the point at all. I was expressing the fact that Kirby and King Dedede would be vastly different than each other despite sharing some moves. Ike and Link slash with a sword don't they? Of course they do, however they do it in different ways.

-Knight

A lot of characters have swords. A lot. Play a lot of games, you see a lot of swords.

But it's how you use the sword that would make all the characters different.

Ike and Link have swords, end of similarity.

But King Dedede has the same two abilities as Kirby that made Kirby famous. Thus, he's a "clone".

I completely got your "point", but your "point" holds no meaning, really.

Talendime

Smash Ace
A lot of characters have swords. A lot. Play a lot of games, you see a lot of swords.

Funny, that is EXACTLY WHAT HE SAID.

But King Dedede has the same two abilities as Kirby that made Kirby famous. Thus, he's a "clone".
NOT what he said

No you didn't!

And you're taking up so much space with this!

shipoffools

Smash Journeyman
forgive me if this has already been asked, but how long does it take until King Dedede has his own segment in the character forums like the rest of the confirmed characters?

Kirby knight

Smash Lord

I really don't think you get the point, and your coming off as very close minded. Your telling me since you used the term "clone" That Kirby and King Dedede would by like say Melee Captain Falcon and Ganondorf? I don't agree, from the many Kirby games that I have played King Dedede has more than enough moveset options not to be called a "clone".

I mean it's like you only read what you want to read; I can tell this because of your comment of "Ike and Link have swords, end of similarity". Here I'll even quote what I said so perhaps you can read it this time.

Ike and Link slash with a sword don't they? Of course they do, however they do it in different ways.
^^^^
In order to make what I said above false you would have to say that. Link does not slash with a sword and Ike doesn't slash with a sword. Anyone with a brain knows that they slash with a sword, they just do it in different ways -_-" my god your dense.

I'm trying to this though your thick skull. Just because King Dedede "shares" some moves with Kirby does not automaticly make him a clone.

-Knight

the homosaurus rex

Smash Cadet
Jesus christ, yes, I know what I said about Link and Ike is what he said. I know this. I was saying that any character with a sword can appear in a game and slash people up.

But not many characters can suck and float. Dedede's character was MADE with those abilities in the Kirby franchise. Thus why I said he would more than likely be a "Kirby clone". Having a sword doesn't make you stand out all that much, but floating and sucking does.And I clearly stated that I predicted the similarities to match that of Mario and Luigi, who aren't complete clones of each other like Mario and Doc.

Oh, boy, I've been calling this for over the past month. Since MetaKnight is a lesser known character, and some other lesser known characters in other game franchises have been appearing, I've been looking forward to seeing him. And I did. I nearly **** my pants this morning when I checked smashbros.com

I expect him to be a large, heavier version of Kirby. Only not really a clone, but just similar, in how Mario and Luigi are similar.
Maybe YOU are the one who doesn't get it. Please read, thanks.

Repryx

Smash Champion
@ Shipoffools-Ask Sakurai

H-rex-Jiggly floats and meta and Pit use the same float quad jump thing Kirby does....Gimme a dollar they are not clones

Hong

The Strongest
Two characteristics isn't enough to define someone as a clone in any way. Especially when even having those two characteristics, they function differently. For example, let's look at their aerial capabilities.

Kirby fills himself up like a balloon and flaps his little arms to give him some air time with his now decreased weight.
King Dedede fills himself up with air as well, but he doesn't flap his arms. He holds them out and glides.

Let's also look at the other quality, Inhaling.

Kirby has a short ranged vacuum vortex and since he has no real stomach, it's a rather smooth process. As soon as they enter Kirby, they become a star that contains their qualities. Furthermore, Kirby can copy abilities using this.

King Dedede has actual lungs and more suction range. Though it's not really a magical effect like Kirby's, thus they are the same form inside King Dedede's stomach as they are when they are out of it. King Dedede also has much more might when reciprocating.

So the actual reality is the only thing remotely similar is the fact they can both pull in entites of nearly any mass into their mouths with a vacuum effect. Even then, it's just King Dedede trying to copy Kirby but not having his actual ability. No more of a copy then the fact both Meta Knight and Pit fly and carry swords.

T3h_Tru7h

Smash Apprentice
Who brought this Ike and Link **** into tihs thread? Please leave, I dont wanna hear no stupid stuff about other characters except the koolest guy, King Dedede...
And Ike ISNT NOT a clone of any sort of Link, its like saying Marth is a Link clone because they hold swords...

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Who brought this Ike and Link **** into tihs thread? Please leave, I dont wanna hear no stupid stuff about other characters except the koolest guy, King Dedede...
And Ike ISNT NOT a clone of any sort of Link, its like saying Marth is a Link clone because they hold swords...
I'm not leaving and I suggest you learn how to read before you make another comment because it's obvious you cannot read properly.

-Knight

the homosaurus rex

Smash Cadet
I'm not leaving and I suggest you learn how to read before you make another comment because it's obvious you cannot read properly.

-Knight
Maybe the internet is too difficult for him to wield. He obviously has typing issues as well :(

Anyway, I'm sorry my use of the word "clone" was misinterpreted, but I did make reference to the similarities of Mario and Luigi, thus that was the meaning you should have taken.

Hong

The Strongest
Okay. Let's just end this. We Dededelytes do not argue over such things! Lest you wish to become a, bleh, Ridley fan. );

crispy 15

Smash Apprentice
ill be honest i get exited over any new charters but king diddy not so much idk he just seems more like a assist tropiy

Florida

イーグランツ
For the love of God, please don't let Dedede's down special be similar to Bowser's / Yoshi's.
I haven't played enough games to know, but isn't there something else that they could use for his down B!? Dedede is too unique to be cloned.

Also, notice how Dedede's hammer has a lid. Explosion time! :cool:

@teh truth:
These character-specific threads aren't only for the fanboys to discuss upon.
There WILL be hate. Live with it.

EDIT:
Sorry rex, mis-read his username :)

the homosaurus rex

Smash Cadet
I'm only asking because I'm quite sure those who look forward to playing with Dedede will lunge at him with unhappiness.

And judging by his typing and grammar skills, I didn't feel he would be able to defend himself properly.

That was me trying to say "be careful"

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
I too pray the Down B is not like Bowser/Yoshi but there's an old point that needs to be made - this is Sakurai we're talking about. Is he going to give King Dedede crap moves and ship it out? No way, his characters are going to play the way they should and I'm sure he'll have plenty of uniqueness. I wish they had done a double post of his moves but maybe that's a secret he wants to keep.

T3h_Tru7h

Smash Apprentice
I WILL lnuge at him wiht happiness. I dont even care about his moevset that much, he just looks kool so I wanna play him. And also, this typing and gammer skillz shenanogins excuse is weak... :)

Top Bottom