• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Pomfrod: Yeah- I was thinking that the small dudes wouldn't clog things because only a certain number of them would be able to appear at a time, and one of their main functions would be to be sucked up and aimed as projectiles instead of actually wandering around. Also, since they could get killed fairly easily by other players, I don't think clutter would actually be an issue... rather, if anything, it'd be a strategy to annoy the opponents since they'd have to divert some of their attacks to underlings.

Heh- I'd say the penguin slide was inspired by... well, every appearance of penguins ever. I believe real penguins slide on their stomachs as well... but I guess Mario 64 would be the most memorable of the video game appearances. I hated them in ALttP.
I was kind of reaching for the Down B, since I haven't played all the kirby games with Dedede. I did remember the hip drop move... but that's just such a generic move now, as you said. One thing that could be different is that the stars created on both sides could be used as items if you're really quick, and could be sucked up and shot out like the enemies.
I never played the game where he steams up, but that does sound like an interesting trade off- great time for him to get knocked off an edge if he can't use his recovery, though he still can jump a lot I guess.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Do you guys think that Dedede will use the ground pound attack like Yoshi and Bowser have? It seems to be over-used, but it's one of his legit in-game attacks. It would have to look like Yoshi's, though, because I believe stars really do come out when he does that.

Jopaan

Smash Journeyman
umm, it would be like ice climbers and kirby
....And?
Dedede is a very unique character who deserves a spot in Brawl more than any other newcomer. He was planned for Smash 64 but didn't quite make it, and was also planned for Melee but Sakurai's modesty got the better of him. It's time for Dedede.

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
I can't help but imagine that if K. Rool and DeDeDe make it in, there'll be an event match that would involve the "3 kings" ("King" Bowser, King DeDeDe, King K. Rool)

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
Well he rated like top in the votes for the net Brawl character didn't he and Sakurai sorta created the kirby series...I reckon there's is a great certainty in him joining the SSBB band.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
i think sakurai and his kirby franchise INVENTED the ground pound. where else would the mario franchise found it? he's gonna use a ground pound of some sort
Nope, Bowser uses it at the end of SMB3, which came out in 1988 in Japan. Kirby's Adventure didn't come out until 1993.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Maybe he'll at least show us a Dedede stage, even if he doesn't show us the character before the release.

I'd be OK with that...dang! A Dedede stage would be pretty sweet!

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
Maybe he'll at least show us a Dedede stage, even if he doesn't show us the character before the release.

I'd be OK with that...dang! A Dedede stage would be pretty sweet!
I can't wait to see Dedede...but a Dedede stage? What would that be, on top of his castle? The boxing ring you fight him in in Kirby Superstar? I'm not sure there're any Dedede stages that wouldn't just be seen as a Kirby stage.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
La di da~

Neutral B: King Dedede takes out his hammer, and pounds it against the ground rapidly, about four times in succession. If the B button is tapped, Dedede will strike the ground some more, a little star will pop forward from the hammer’s impact zone, and do extra damage just like those stars that come along the side of Yoshi’s ground pound. The start stays out a little longer though, and it rotates a bit. Unlike Yoshi’s stars though, if Kirby is near Dedede, and sucks one in, he’ll gain triple de’s powers without eating hi.

Forward B: King Dedede rushes forward, but trips over his own feet, crashing and sliding forward across the ground. His slide is fairly long, and can damage opponents on contact, while leaving triple de, almost invulnerable. The cons to that invulnerable slide though are that it takes a bit of time for Dedede to run, and then get back up after he’s fallen. Also, if the move is used against the side of a stage, Dedede has the chance of falling off.

Up B: Dedede inflates himself, causing him to rise quickly and then fall in a slamming attack. It’s not particularly fast slam into the ground, but that way it helps Dedede to recover. He can damage opponents in this state, but only by falling on them with his giant stomach. Dedede can’t become uninflected until he reaches the ground, but if the player holds down the control stick, Dedede will bounce off the ground, and stay in his inflated state, which lets him damage any opponent he missed that’s in front of him.

Down B: Dedede starts to inhale deeply, just like Kirby, and if the opponent is close, they will be trapped in his mouth. Dedede has three options here. The first two are relatively the same, and they are either spitting the opponent forward, or spitting them backwards. The distance of the move is farther than Kirby’s spit up, but still acts much the same. The third option can be used if the player presses B again, in which Dedede spits the opponent to the ground, and then quickly hits them with his hammer as if it was a golf club and as if the opponent were a golf ball.

Final Smash: Dedede inflates, and gains a star rod at the same time. In this state, he acts much like Kirby in the final fight of Kirby’s Adventure. Dedede will fall if nothing is done, but will have unlimited floating jumps, just by pressing up. By pressing B, Dedede will quickly shoot stars from the star rod, which do more damage, and have longer knock back. Basically for a short time, it gives Dedede flight, and unlimited ammo. He doesn’t have knock back if hit, but he’ll take the damage any way, so look out.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
OK, here's what I got so far for a Dedede stage idea: Think Poke floats meets Big Blue...only with Warp Stars. 0_o ...ehh??

the grim lizard

Smash Master
OK, so what do you guys think of Dedede stealing most of the ICs moves? I mean...he basically just has a mallet, and there are only so many attacks you could formulate from that. I say...give him the moves we know about: ground pound, inhale, float, etc. but the rest of the moves (a-moves) could be similar to the ICs hammar attacks, with changed stats of course, and the fact that many of them would have stars coming out of the side.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
He could have heavy body slamming attacks as well. And there's more than one way to swing a hammer. :O
That's true, except that the ICs already do it 20 different ways. I couldn't think of 20 new ways of doing it. For example...if he attacks up with a hammer, he's going to point it up. He may swing it around or something when it points it upward, but it will still be the same basic idea, eh?

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Yeah, I think that would be good. I mean, he'd probably use a lot of ICs-esque mallet attacks, but I like the fact that he has some Kirby-type and Yoshi/Bowser-type moves, too. What attacks do you think wouldn't use mallet?

Did we ever come up with a full moveset for this guy??

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Well I dislike making full move lists, only those specials, since there are only a few, but you need to put detail into them. If I did that with a regular type of moveset, it'd take me all day. x_x

Some ideas do come to mind. For instance, Dedede's Triple A move could be a punch, headbutt, then a spinning hammer strike. You could make it like Metaknight's A attack, where you hold it down the button, and Dedede keeps spinning with his hammer, making it a slower yet more powerful rapid attack.

His forward A could be him poking out his hammer, as if it were a kid poking something with a stick.

The forward smash could be him inhaling deeply, and when it’s released, he sends out a puff ball of air, much like Kirby does when he inflates in air.

Dash A can be Dedede jumping forward, and slamming outwards with his giant stomach.

Back A can be Dedede standing on his tip toe on one foot, and kicking out the opposite direction with the other.

Up A can be Dedede making a short hopping headbutt, while his smash A can be him stabbing out his hammer straight up, instead of swinging it.

Down A can be Dedede making a poking kick across the ground, while smash A can be like the one part of my down B idea, where he swings his hammer like a gold club, hitting both sides as he swings. (It’s only one swing. Maybe it’s hard to get a mental picture of. Just think of a swinging strike that could potentially hit both sides)

You can make the air moves if you want, but I’m done here. :O

Eaode

Smash Champion
Full Dedede Moveset!

KING DEDEDE

Attribites:
Size: 9/10
Weight: 7.5/10
Speed: 6/10
Fall Speed: 4/10
Power: 8.5/10

Dedede has 2 midair jumps.

Standard Attacks:

A: Dedede swings his hammer from left to right.
A,A: Dedede swings the mallet back left in an uppercuting motion (slightly upward knockback)
A,A,A: He swings the mallet back down at the ground, hitting opponents away very softly.

>A: Dedede reaches outward and swings with his mallet at his opponents. About the range of Marth's Ftilt
vA: Dedede Stomps down with his foot, spiking airbourne opponents and lifting grounded opponents.
^A: Dedede Looks upward with his hammer ready, and then jerks it upward, hittiing enemies above him. Startup for this move is the same as Samus' Uptilt.

Forward Smash: King Dedede jumps upward a small distance and crashes his mallet down on foes with good knockback.
Down Smash: Dedede quickly lunges back with his hammer, ready to strike in front of him. In doing so, he actually hits behind him first, with knockback comparable to Fox's Downsmash. After that, he swings himself forward again and strikes with twice the knockback of the first hit. Downside is that you have to wait for the back to hit first, so it'd probably be used for edgeguarding.
Up Smash: Dedede crouches for his charge animation, then jumps up and swings his Hammer in a full half circle motion before landing again.

NAir: Dedede Spins around once vertically like Kirby's >B, but more powerful.
FAir: Dedede Quickly puffs up and release a burst of air, damaging opponents in front of him.
BAir: Dedede kicks behind him, laying flat out in the air in the process (similar to Kirby and Pika's Bairs combined.)
UAir: Dedede Grabs one end of his hammer in each hand and thrusts it upward in and attacking bunt motion.
DAir: Dedede looks angrily down at his opponents before Thrashing his hammer downward, the lifting it and pounding it down again in quick succession.

Dash Attack: Dedede trips and falls face first at his opponents.

Special Attacks:

Neutral B: Inhale: Much like Kirby's Neutral B, Dedede stats inhaling opponents that happen to be in front of him. But Dedede's inhale has 1.5x the range of Kirby's. Once an opponenet is sucked in, Dedede is free to move (very slowly) and jump (very low). By Pressing A, Dedede will Gnaw on his victim, for an additional 2-3%. When you press B, Dedede will shoot the opponent in the direction you hold the control stick (<|<^|^|^>|>), but not down. They will fly a little farther than they would from kirby, and then they wil be raised slightly and given their second jumps and Up-B back. If no one is inhaled during 10 seconds, Dedede will tire and stop inhaling with a short lag afterward.

Forward B: Penguin Lunge: If stationary, Dedede will crouch before pouncing left or right the same distance as Falcon's Raptor Boost (>B). About halfway through he will fall to the ground and slide the rest of the way, Hammer outstretched. If he comes in contact with an opponent before he reaches the ground, he will grab them, and place them under him as he rolls across their body for 12% and the tosses them out in front of him (with little knockback) and throws his hammer at them for additional knockback and another 7-10%. His hammer will bounce off of them and come back to his hand. If he hits an opponent while he is sliding, he will give them 13% and small knockback.

Down B: Penguin Bomb: Dedede will launch into the air and come crashing down on opponents, releaseing stars on either side for extra damage. If you press B again on impact, He will bounce back up, half the height, and come back down, dealing less damage and smaller stars. It can be done once more, again decreasing in damage but the last hit has no stars. Each bounce has progressively less ending lag, so doing all three will get you mobile again faster afterward. Tilting the control stick will slightly alter his trajectory during the bounces. If done in the air, he will go straight down, and it will be ledge-cancellable.

Up B: Flying Penguin: Dedede will Launch himself upward with air, letting his arms trail behind him. This attack starts out fast, and gets slightly slower as he goes up diagonally the same distance as Roy's Up-B, and can be aimed as such. This move does 6-18% damage depending on how fast he is moving.

Grab Game:

Grab (Z): Dedede reaches out with is left hand, grabbing opponents in front of him

Grab Attack (A/Z): Dedede beats his opponent with the grip of his hammer in a pistol-whipping motion.

Forward Throw: Dedede Lifts the opponent, then swings his Mallet knocking them away.

Down Throw: Dedede lets go of the opponent, and then jumps onto them with his back/behind

Up Throw: He slams the victim onto the ground (akin to Ganon's Dthrow) and then swings the hammer up to hit them away.

Miscellaneous:

Get Up Attack (<100%): Dedede quickly gets up and punches to one side while jerking his Mallet in the other.
Get Up Attack (>100%): Dedede slowly picks himself up and swings in one direction at a time.

Ledge attack (<100%): He pulls himself up rapidly and swings his hammer inward.
Ledge Attack (>100%): He tiredly gets onto the stage and does an arm thrust to ward off enemies.

FINAL SMASH:

Cosmic Favor: Dedede catches the Star Rod as it falls from the sky. He then calls upward as a barrage of shooting stars (similar to the size of warpstars in melee) attack the players for MASSIVE DAMAGE. The stars cannot go through terrain obstacle or platforms.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Aw...I just came up with a good Dedede moveset. :(

This will just be moves and descriptions; I won't go into huge details about the attributes.

Jumps:

He will have multiple jumps and inflate himself like Kirby, but probably a lower number than Kirby. Say 4? When you jump, he will hold his breath and will keep holding it until you land, someone hits you, or you do another attack.

Weak Attacks:

A - Slaps opponent with fin
AA - Hits opponent with mallet
(alternates between these two attacks)

dash A - this will be his running face plant, the animation is like Falcon's >B when he misses

Tilts:

Side - Pushes mallet forward like a pool cue
Up - Swings mallet around above him continuously (as long as its pressed)
Down - While crouched, does a simple back-handed mallet swing in an arc

Smashes:

Side - Does a windup with the mallet and slams it forward on the ground (1 star comes out)
Up - Holds up mallet and stars come out (small)
Down - Slams mallet down on forward direction, then swings it back-handed in the other direction and hits the ground behind him (rel. quickly)

Specials:

B - Inhale - just like Kirby except doesn't swallow; he shoots out the opponent as a star
>B - Mallet boomerang - he throws the mallet forward and if it hits the opponent, it will come back but otherwise it doesn't return (he *magically* gets a new one)
vB - Ground pound - similar to Yoshi's except not as quick, it would be more like Bowser's animation, he jumps in the air, lands on his bum and two stars come out
^B - Hammer cutter - for lack of a better name...this is similar to Kirby's cutter in being a recovery, but the move is taken from Dedede boss battles, when he lands on the ground, one star will shoot outward

Aerials:

Neutral - spins the mallet around in 360 manner like Kirby's nair (only Dedede himself doesn't move)
Forward - points mallet forward and a star shoots out
Back - back kick, almost exactly like Kirby's bair
Up - orients his body upward and does an upward attack with his beak
Down - belly bounce...you all know what I'm talking about, it's classic

Grabs:

A - bops opponent on the head with mallet
Forward - hits opponent forward with mallet like he's teeing off
Back - does a short toss back behind him and then uses mallet to strike like he's hitting a home run
Up - simply tosses opponent upward
Down - turns mallet upside down and pummels opponent into the ground

Feedback is appreciated. :)

FINAL SMASH:

Cosmic Favor: Dedede catches the Star Rod as it falls from the sky. He then calls upward as a barrage of shooting stars attack the players for MASSIVE DAMAGE. The stars cannot go through terrain obstacle or platforms.
I think it would be cooler if for his FS he got a starrod that shot GIANT stars instead of the puny ones. It would have multiple uses, and the characters can still avoid the stars, but it would be a lot easier to get hit by the stars.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Down B is like Yoshi's/Bowser's. It doesn't involve the mallet at all. Whereas the up B is his mallet attack which would be similar to Kirby's up-B.

:confused:

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Yes, but they are both jump up and fall down attacks. They may have diffrent touches, but they are still that basic type of move.

There's also the fact that the neutral B, and up B are very simmilar to Kirby's (I admit diffrent, but I stress simmilar) with the case also half applying to his down B.

Oh, and you could add a cool touch for Dedede's hammer throw attack, and make it like Captain America's shield in the MvC games. :D

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Yes, but they are both jump up and fall down attacks. They may have diffrent touches, but they are still that basic type of move.

There's also the fact that the neutral B, and up B are very simmilar to Kirby's (I admit diffrent, but I stress simmilar) with the case also half applying to his down B.

Oh, and you could add a cool touch for Dedede's hammer throw attack, and make it like Captain America's shield in the MvC games. :D
Well, they may both be jump and fall moves, but they are directly from his games. You should pull as many from-game moves as you can. In his boss fights he does jump and land to do each attack...I dunno, maybe they could change the animation around to make them a little different, but they are inherently similar.

Also, he and Kirby are similar in a lot of ways; so it makes sense that they have some similar moves. Also, his side B is nothing like Kirby's because he actually throws the mallet. And as for any of the rest of the moves being similar to Kirby's >B...that's kind of inevitable. I think Kirby should lose the mallet attack anyway. He has plenty of abilities to chose from, and that is Dedede's main weapon.

Yeah, I think that's how the hammer attack (>B should be)...like Captain America's shield. That was kind of the idea I was thinking. Thanks for the comments. :)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
The only way to make the ground pound thing diffrent enough is to make it like Kirby's stone, where it can be possitioned overheard...but that would make Dedede even closer to Kirby.

Yes, I really like the Captain America idea. If I ever redo my King Dedede moveset, I'm turning them into his forward B, turning my current forward B into his down B, and making the sucking in part his grab. :O

the grim lizard

Smash Master
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=l3R_usnlr_I

One could be more horizontal and the other could be more vertical. One has two stars, while the other has one. They would both have different stats, which is the important part anyway.

Anyway, it's not a huge deal if Dedede is even 50% similar to Kirby (which my moveset isn't even close to being) because they are from the same games, and they are actually programmed with a lot of the same moves. And Dedede's moveset is more limited because he is a boss; so he should get the benefit and change Kirby's moves. I really think Kirby needs a needle attack anyway.

Stats are the most important thing anyway, man. Stats. :D

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Well of course stats in the end are what matter to the character, but we can only make crude guesses for those.

Also, it's funny that the more horizontal, and better for recovry, is the one that you used for down B. I still think you should replace the up B, possibly the inflation move he was using. Then you could alter the ground pound enough to make it diffrent from Bowser's or Yoshi's.

Top Bottom