• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede looks like Gumby...

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
It's his classic look... anything else wouldn't really suffice and get the point across. Kirby games always had that kind of big eyed cute appearance, even though Dedede isn't very kind. Anyway I dig his choice on the looks personally but maybe it's just me.

Draconated

Smash Rookie
Oh come on, not everything has to look super Twilight Princess realistic in Brawl. I mean, look at Kirby and Yoshi, they look fine. Dedede looks fine too.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
IDK. he looks just as realistic as kirby and metaknight. If he looks more cartoonish than link and samus do, it's because he's from a more cartoonish game

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Yeah he did look kinda wierd but hopefully he'll improve later on

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
I agree, they should definitely improve him so he looks like a character and not a cardboard cutout.
Ok, now THAT I have a problem with. How the hell is Dedede a cardboard cutout? Nothing and nobody looks like him at all. He has plenty of his own detailing and style... if anything, Yoshi is a two color cartoon dinosaur coloring book model. :mad:

Sorry I'm a Dedede psycho fan. lol

DavE P

Smash Cadet
ya he looks a little different then what he looks like in the cartoon but u gotta admit his hammer is pretty pimp. IC and kirby got nothing on the DDD.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Yeah... I was a bit... surprised... to see how King Dedede looked. At first, it looked almost handdrawn, and one would think it obviousl fake right off the bat...

But, Sakurai's modesty IS a good explaination.

Come now, Sakurai, there's no need to be modest; your characters are GREAT!

Emokirby4

Smash Cadet
It's not his modesty; it's his style. Kirby games and characters arn't meant to be realistic. They live in DREAMLAND after all.

KingBulbinX

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a Kirby fan(though i've seen atleast 8 episodes of the anime) he does look different from the anime but he looks fine to me.BTW that first pic must be his character intro, a throne carried by Waddle Dees:p

paralasalud

Smash Ace
since everyone seems to think dedede's model is based off the games (i haven't seen the anime, only like 1 episode.) does that change the speculation on his FS being a phone call to some extra baddies?

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
What are you guys talking about? King Dedede looks just like I remember him in the kirby games. The reason why I liked him so much was because he is an uber CUTE evil baddie.

Galvanic

Smash Journeyman
Modesty? HA! i would call it anything but. I mean, Sakurai tweaked around and made everyone else look different, better, than previous incarnations.

...And yet Kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight look almost identicle from when their games first came out. They didn't even get a new pair of shoes!

Sakurai's probably in his office, thinking, "He-he! See how I could make Mario, Link, Pit and everyone else more beautiful than ever before? And yet my characters were perfect from the beginning! My Kirby, Meta, and DDD don't need a wardrobe change. Nope, they're just as awesome as I first created 'em! **Evil Laughter**"

LeadPenguin

Smash Cadet
Now does your name mean lead as in your a penguin made out of lead?
or does it mean you are the lead like the first?
I draw, using a pencil. (With lead.) I also like penguins! It's so hard to come up with an internet handle these days, you know?

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
It's not his modesty; it's his style. Kirby games and characters arn't meant to be realistic. They live in DREAMLAND after all.
True, true... And yet Meta Knight looks so BAD-@$$!

Or maybe it's just all Kirby charcters are ment to look simplistic.

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
I've always said that realistic =/= good.

Sure it looks good for character like Snake,
But seeing a realistic Mario would make me cry.

Short hairy plumbers do not look as cool in real life.
same with Hedgehogs and penguins(although they both are pretty cute).

Aurion

Smash Rookie
King Dedede looks fine this way it's a kirby char after all and well just as many already said they aren't meant to be realistic or else theyre home wouldn't be dreamland :p anyway i think he's cool he has a unique stylish thing going on so i'm totally for his appearance :p

Musica Amante

Smash Apprentice
I actually think Dedede looks more cleaned-up and detailed than most characters in Brawl.

He really sticks out on the Characters section on the dojo.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Modesty? HA! i would call it anything but. I mean, Sakurai tweaked around and made everyone else look different, better, than previous incarnations.

...And yet Kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight look almost identicle from when their games first came out. They didn't even get a new pair of shoes!

Sakurai's probably in his office, thinking, "He-he! See how I could make Mario, Link, Pit and everyone else more beautiful than ever before? And yet my characters were perfect from the beginning! My Kirby, Meta, and DDD don't need a wardrobe change. Nope, they're just as awesome as I first created 'em! **Evil Laughter**"
Haha, yeah, it's true. Kirby is like the most underrated Nintendo franchise. Well... not true, but it is compared to a lot of other big ones.

Did King Dedede REALLY look like that in the old Kirby games? It's been too many years. I thought he looked slightly different. Not quite like the anime, but a little different. Whatever I love how he looks. I personally didn't mind the look of the anime, but I think now he's closer to how Sakurai wants him to be this way. (And if you guys say he looks just like his game self, than that's perfect.)

Anyone think Sakurai actually designed KD, MK, and Kirby himself? Like, did the 3D artists just use old models/drawings from Sakurai? Maybe Sakurai whipped up some new drawings of them, and the 3D modelers went to work. I doubt Sakurai would have time for it, but it would be cool to know that he actually created the 3D models for his trio of characters all by himself.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What, did people expect Dedede to have relistic feathers and such!?! Do you know how freaky that would look...

Look at this in game action shot

That looks about as Dedede as you can get in 3D

Chepe

Smash Lord
Yeah, in the screenshots he fits right in...

And are you people serious in that he didnt improve or modify their design? Meta Knight has tons of detail, down to the red scribbles on those shoulder pads, and Dedede was given a robe and a textured belt thing...

I'm glad someone else noticed this besides me... Dedede looks like he's 2d in his newcomer pic and in most of his pictures he looks two dimensional... Kirby and Metaknight looks much better i hope they make him look a bit more three dimensional

Musica Amante

Smash Apprentice
You people can't be serious.

Two-Dimensional?

You can see the metallic texture on his crown, the fur on his robe, the cloth-stitching (look closely) on his waist-band, the cloth texture of his under-robe, the grainy wood on his hammer, the leathery-stitched 'boxing gloves'.

He is one of the best Brawl renders in this game.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
What, did people expect Dedede to have relistic feathers and such!?! Do you know how freaky that would look...

Look at this in game action shot

That looks about as Dedede as you can get in 3D
That's one of the few pics that made King Dedede look 3D, IMO.

Not that I care whether or not King Dedede looks 3D or not.

Top Bottom