• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King De De De: Penguin or Duck?

Zk Hammer

Smash Cadet
Penguins do not fly.
Ducks do not slide on their bellies.

Duck. (ducks do in fact fly, like Dedede. The yellow beak is similar as well.)

King Dedede (people seem to be convinced he is a penguin.)

Penguin (Dives and slides like a penguin. Ducks don't do that. Penguin beaks are not yellow like Dedede.)

or...
The common suggestion of an eagle?

Discuss

Zk Hammer

Smash Cadet
He is a king and those are his royal garments. By no means is he cold. I like penguins better too I think we all do. But the truth is we don't know. Does the king himself know? Does he think he is a penguin? Has he been living a lie his whole life? What traumatic experiences has King Dedede undergone in his childhood?

These, are questions not even I can answer.

Lantz

Smash Apprentice
He's a penguin obviously.

Absolute Anime said:
Race: Humanoid penguin
1up said:
The stutter-named penguin hails from the Kirby series and has historically been the pink puffball's major nemesis.
WiiWii Tv said:
Ah, hell. It’s King Dedede, over-sized penguin royalty, and Kirby’s nemesis. His weapon of choice is a mallet almost as big as himself, with his bulk putting him in the same heavyweight category as Donkey Kong and Bowser.
Wikipedia said:
King Dedede is a large blue penguin creature, dressed in red royal finery, with his personal emblem embossed on the back of his robe. He also wears yellow gloves, and usually wields a large hammer as an offensive weapon.
Games Info Base said:
In the meantime, enjoy the rest of the screenshots we have of this larger-than-life anthropomorphic penguin.
Smash Wiki said:
He is a giant puffball-like penguin who wields a hammer, and has been the main villian of the Kirby series since its begining.
Gamehiker Wiki said:
Species Penguin
Super Smash Bros. Wikia said:
King Dedede is a large blue penguin, dressed in red royal finery, with his personal emblem embossed on the back of his robe.

Zk Hammer

Smash Cadet
Through your evidence gathering, you have me convinced... a penguin who got bored waiting for Kirby and learned how to fly through supernatural means

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
He copied Kirby to attempt beating him at his own game (inhaling and puffing up)

He dosent fly, but he inhales air to the point where he can float around freely for a little bit before he runs out of air. But in the end of one kirby game he flys around puffed up in the credits, so maybe hes like a blimp then? He can fly being puffed up

Arean

Smash Ace
he is a penguin.... he wants to defeat kirby so he learned some powers... like inhaling. He can fly because he inhales air. If you play the kirby games... you will see the he puffs up and floats around trying to kill kirby. His inhale ability just swallows them then spits them to the side.

Williampettysan

Smash Journeyman
It would be easier for Dedede if he was smart enough to just swallow and digest him. Then again Kirby does that is well why can't Kirby do that to Pichu?

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
I believe him to be a emperor penguindue to him looking more like a penguin than a duck, and wearing royal robes, hence the emperor part. But, I also believe him to be part puffin, to only a light degree. The reason I believe him to be part puffin, is due to him inhaling air, and then 'puffin' himself up, giving him the ability to float about.

Really, Dedede is really just a penguin that has been mutated into the Nintendo format, slapped the ability to float on him, given him clothes, and a huge mallet with a star upon it, and voila, Dedede.

Zk Hammer

Smash Cadet
we should submit a mythbusters to the discovery channel. can penguins really inhale enough air to actually float? maybe us as humans can float if we do the same?

XxAlucardxX

Smash Cadet
penguin...but penguins cant fly so i think he is a arctic duck...in the kirby level in melee you can see him flying in the background

Lantz

Smash Apprentice
we should submit a mythbusters to the discovery channel. can penguins really inhale enough air to actually float? maybe us as humans can float if we do the same?
It's Nintendo, anything is possible. Their mascot is a plumber who shoots fireballs out of his gloves, they have a giant turtle-lizard thing in command of half a kingdom, a male dinosaur who can lay eggs, an electric rat, a hedgehog that can run at supersonic speeds, and an 8 inch puff ball who fights a penguin with a hammer.

When it comes to Nintendo, there's no such thing as sense or rationality, best not to think of it so we don't hurt our brains. =P

Zk Hammer

Smash Cadet
an electric rat, a hedgehog that can run at supersonic speeds, and an 8 inch puff ball who fights a penguin with a hammer.
Sonic doesnt belong to nintendo and i don't think Pikachu does either.
But listen, at least we know bowser is a turtle and yoshi is a dinosaur. Now I am fine with a pink balls that fight. Pink balls will be pink balls. But when Nintendo puts in an artic duck gentoo penguin cross breed and doesnt tell anybody what he is, i need to know exactly where he came from and why he does the things he does.
I said I was convinced he is a penguin, but that doesn't prevent me from questioning his means of learning how to fly and have a off-colored beak.

Daddy was a Duck
Mommy was a Penguin

Duckguin...

LotusMyuushin

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu belongs to Pokemon who belongs to GameFreak who belongs to Nintendo.

And he doesn't fly, and neither does a penguin. He inhales air and goes up with it, like real penguins! Dedede even had those cute red slaves, like actual real-life existing penguins. And his off-coloured beak is obviously because he digs a new shade, and painted/tattoo'd it.

Jumble

Smash Apprentice

oh yeah
i saw that episode last week!
busted!!!!!
no..
but that's actually a good idea

i dont think he's a penguin or a duck.
or maybe a breed of both?
that could make sense
but if penguins can't inhale enough air to float?
or if ducks can't either?

.. then what bird can?

Hotztuph

Smash Cadet
He's wearing a winter coat so i'd assume he lives somewhere cold
I'm pritty sure he doesn't fly either
it's pritty clear that he's a penguin
if he was a buck he would have a huge but and float on top of the water all the time
and eat break from the stupid old lady who keeps feeding them and making them fat and making them stay all winter and c**p all over the roads and parks
as i said it's very clear

Jumble

Smash Apprentice
you have some good points there hotztuph
but since KD can float in the AIR
its pretty obvious that he can float on water too
and so once again.. he could be a grossly oversized duck!

in the newest edition of the guiness book of world records
it says that the biggest duck in the world
wheres a winter coat and carries a hammer.
possibly king dedede?

Zk Hammer

Smash Cadet
NO NO NO NO you have it all wrong it is not a winter coat. HE IS NOT COLD HE IS A KING psheeesh how many times do i have to say it those are his royal garments. Im going to do some research to prove he is a duck if it takes my whole life. I want him to be a duck

Top Bottom