• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Killing with UP B (**VIDEO ADDED**)

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Does anyone else use this OFTEN as a reliable kill move? Whether I UP B out of shield or UP B someone who's trying to recover super high, I find it easy to nail this thing around 130% and get a kill on someone.

What I'm wondering is , if there is a sweet spot? I seem to get the lightning sometimes and sometimes not. It might just be because of percentage, but is there a sweet spot for most knockback or is it just one consistent hitbox?

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
It seems like one consistent hitbox but that'll require testing.
I haven't been doing it out of shield at least. When people recover high it's def something to try more.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
It is a very satisfying way to kill someone but my big problem with using Up + B this way is that if you miss, you put yourself in a really, REALLY awful position. It's massive risk imo. Out of interest, where are your opponents when you use this move Edrees when you're scoring kills at 130%? Are they really near the top?

As for the lightning flash, it can appear when using any move and in my experience it normally indicates that you've done something with sufficient knockback to KO your opponent. Next time, look out for when the lightning flash appears and you'll find that normally precedes a KO.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Are you sure it's not just the rage effect killing people earlier?

I would also like someone to test how fast this kills if the opponents holds down while being in hit by Up B, since vectoring downwards should let your survive later. On the other hand they're really close to the top already so I'm not sure how much effect it will actually have.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
If someone's close enough to the top that up B can kill them, I'd much rather try a Uair instead. Uair not only has slightly more killing power, but it isn't nearly as big a risk as up B is.

I'm sure there are a handful of scenarios where up B is a worthwhile option, but out of all the scenarios I can imagine, Peach always has something more reliable that should be used instead.

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
Well, I was going to say I already talked about this at length on the custom moves thread I made, and posted a lot of information there, but since discussion has already started, let me c/p some information from it to here for you.

• EDIT: After a quick look, it seems the set knockback on Peach's up B is partially determined on the weight of the character she is against. For instance, Bowser barely flies anywhere, while Jigglypuff even at 0% will get launched so high that she's in the magnifying glass on FD from a standing position!
  • EDIT: I got curious as to the properties of the first hit of up B and on a whim decided to take various characters to Battlefield(BF) just to see if it had as much knockback as it seemed. What I found was staggering, and easily makes BF her best stage for utility of this move. While both characters are at the top platform of BF, if ANY of these characters full hop out of shield or normally, Peach can kill at 0% with the first hit of up B! If you want to test this yourself, the key is to look for the red lightning at the beginning of Peach's up B. If you see that, that character can die from the first hit of up B! (Anything noted with a * is at the top of their jump, and thus can be harder to sneak this in on, making this more of a 'just in case' thing to keep in mind.)
    • Jigglypuff, Mr. Game & Watch, *Olimar/Alph, *Kirby, *Metaknight, *Pikachu, *Sheik, *Rosalina, *Fox, *Falco, *Zero Suit Samus, *Greninja

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
It is a very satisfying way to kill someone but my big problem with using Up + B this way is that if you miss, you put yourself in a really, REALLY awful position. It's massive risk imo. Out of interest, where are your opponents when you use this move Edrees when you're scoring kills at 130%? Are they really near the top?

As for the lightning flash, it can appear when using any move and in my experience it normally indicates that you've done something with sufficient knockback to KO your opponent. Next time, look out for when the lightning flash appears and you'll find that normally precedes a KO.
I actually rarely get punished for it. Or if I get punished it's just a grab or dash attack. It's hard to land a smash attack on her because her fast fall after this is pretty fast, and you can do all sorts of mind games to trick people where you are going to land by re opening and re closing the parasol. Also you can go for the ledge if you whiff it. Personally even against good players in tournament I rarely get punished for this, but I don't abuse it, I just do it when I'm sure it will connect. I'll wait for air dodge then do it. If you see the air dodge come out this has a 100% chance of connecting.

The real thing this does is get into someones head. They will be super scared of it everytime they face peach if it ever kills them, and they will be airdodging like crazy while above you, making up air's easy to land. Also I don't even try it against some characters. But some characters are so defenseless from below. Ness, Rob are easy to do this on.

Yeah my opponents are high up. I wouldn't say near the very top, but high up there. Rage is definitely playing a role into this.
I killed a yoshi at 99% who was at the very top though. I did have rage for it though.
I killed someone, I think a Mario, with UP B out of shield on the ground of FD around 140%.

Also, the whole point is that you up air chain them until they get high enough to do this. It comes out much faster than up air and you can do it after using two jumps if they are still too high for you, so it's a situation where you can't do another up air.

Mikey - that is amazing information. Sorry I didn't see that the first time around! The set knockback thing is new info, and I'm so taking Rosalina's to BF.

Last edited:

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
I've been adding to it to try and make it a comprehensive thread of all the stuff found for our tech. I'm planning to try and keep it up-to-date, but I'm not going to continuously bump it. I feel weird about double-posting and whatnot. The write-ups for the different moves are done. The only thing I was missing were things like KO%s on Mario for Toad, since without a second person it's tough to measure such things.

Peachkid and I also found a really good way to cancel the landing lag of up B on BF's ledges and I edited it in. That stage is very quickly becoming our best stage in general from what keeps getting found.

Last edited:

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Yeah my opponents are high up. I wouldn't say near the very top, but high up there. Rage is definitely playing a role into this.
I killed a yoshi at 99% who was at the very top though. I did have rage for it though.
I killed someone, I think a Mario, with UP B out of shield on the ground of FD around 140%.

Holy cow, for real???

I need to start using Up + B more often...

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Holy cow, for real???

I need to start using Up + B more often...
I saved a video of it. I'll upload it tonight. Actually I saved a vid of every UP B kill I got, too bad you can't fast forward through videos....... one day I might post a video once I've killed with it 100 times. Haha. My dream is to kill pac man this way, but that hydrant comes out so fast I can't get to him in time.

Last edited:

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Vid! Sorry for poor quality, I don't know how to do it any better. This does the job. Keep in mind even if I missed my fast fall woulda beaten him to the ledge for a safe recovery. I don't know if this guy DI'd properly but even if he did I doubt he would survive. Yoshi's pretty heavy too, if a Rosalina DI'd it or any bottom half light character, they would definitely die.

Last edited:

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
Yeah up b is one of the ways I use to get kills. My way is using down tilt > up B when my opponet's % is high enough.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I have a video here of up-B killing me at 27% lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7tbj4GLjkc
Looking at this video I think I'm starting to understand how Up B works in this game.

The first hit of Up B has a lot of base knockback. However, the knockback growth is very little. This means that your opponents wont get sent much further if they have 100% compared to when they have 0%. However, what does influence the knockback a lot more seems to be Rage. I'm not entirely sure how Rage works but it seems to make the first Up B hit (and possible also the last one) kill much earlier. That, and being closer to the upper ceiling high in the air than when hitting UpB while grounded, seem to make UpB kill at ridicuous percents.

We need to know more about this Rage effect. I wonder if some characters get more Rage than others. Pretty sure her Fair starts killing hella early too with Rage. @_@

Peaches & Cake

Smash Rookie
It's scary good now but I have a feeling that they're gonna patch it killing at 27%. I'll probably still kill around 125% but the first hit will probably get patched.

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
When I get a chance, I'm going to try and test this out on other stages. The Wii U seems to still hold true to what I found on Battlefield so far, so anything around the height should have that same crazy knockback going for it. Just with more stages!

lil T

Smash Journeyman
Looking at this video I think I'm starting to understand how Up B works in this game.

The first hit of Up B has a lot of base knockback. However, the knockback growth is very little. This means that your opponents wont get sent much further if they have 100% compared to when they have 0%. However, what does influence the knockback a lot more seems to be Rage. I'm not entirely sure how Rage works but it seems to make the first Up B hit (and possible also the last one) kill much earlier. That, and being closer to the upper ceiling high in the air than when hitting UpB while grounded, seem to make UpB kill at ridicuous percents.

We need to know more about this Rage effect. I wonder if some characters get more Rage than others. Pretty sure her Fair starts killing hella early too with Rage. @_@
Sounds like Ike's Up-B in both Brawl and smash 4, thing is , Ike first hitbox can only really kill Lightweights at low%
For peach, Her up-B killed Sheik who is not really a lightweight and more of an fast faller.So for a 142% raged up-B to kill at 27% is just crazy to me lol

DrROBschiz

Smash Apprentice
Her Up Special is Massively improved and I have yet to utilize its full potential

The issue I have right now is accuracy. It comes out fast enough but unless I am right on top of the character (it sucks em in for guaranteed multihit into the finisher) i usually opt for something else.

I really really want to find more setups for this because its a really compelling option that could be pretty safe to use in certain situations. It has high priority from what I have seen..

Top Bottom