• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Keep Losing? Try this...

Lessthan_tom

Smash Cadet
Great thread. I'm basically a scrub but I do a lot of the things you suggeted in this thread (as well as not doing a lot of them) and it's good to hear some decent advice on how to play that isn't like "OMFG I FOUND THIS UBER COOL NEW AT! YOU CAN TILT SMASHES!"

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
lol this is so true...
At the same time, playing Marth is by no means an instant victory...a lot of people I run into that claim Marth is cheap, yet can't play him themselves say that he is "boring". You still have to be good to win. Please don't say he is cheap if you can't do well with him yourself. (the general you, not you specifically)

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
bro thanks for the info. this is goig to help me see brawl better. more stragediy, more thinking and more rapid thinking. changeing to the situation on the spot.

BUT this turns to some slow, always hating on the 5%- damage made/ taken.

its slow enough. i want to go crazy string attacks and faced paced action. im sure ill adapt to the slow think based moves

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
I like the info, What I do is, if someone plays someone, and I play someone else, I tend to look at the playstyle of my opponent, lets say I'm mario, and his Donkey kong, he's blantently charging up his giant punch, I run, then I do a roll either so I dodge it, after the lag off the move, I can openly throw him upwards, and start using my aerial to start racking up damage! Also, look depthly into your characters moveset, and your opponents, think about how good of a grab range you've got, practice dodging those heavy hit moves, punish your opponent! what I also tend to do, This might be difficult in the peak of a heated battle, until it becomes second nature, is try and use the best option of moves for example:
King dedede is using his F-Smash, you dodge forward past him, and depending on which situation your in, you could use:
quite low percent: throw down if you have a chaingrab, on up, to rack damage with your aerials
quite high: D-Smash or up-Smash depending where you are on the stage
this is what I look at when I face my brothers!

GiantKiller

Smash Cadet
@cwjalex:

Great post! Great work on the detail and examples. Whenever anyone wants to give advice like "learn mindgames and spacing" they should just link to this thread instead.

@yuna:

Sheesh. Have you ever heard the term "Black Swede"? It has nothing to do with race or skin color. As someone of Swedish descent myself, it's a term I've heard thrown around jokingly at various family gatherings over the years. It refers to a personality type, apparently common among us Swedish folks, where the person is solemn, depressed, and has a generally dark and negative about everything, and goes out of his or her way to make others feel the same way.

You, sir, are a black swede. In the entirety of my time at smashboards, I've only ever seen negative comments from you. Judging from your post count, that's a LOT of negativity. Give it a rest. Lighten up. Stop trying to bring people down. How about contributing something yourself instead of bashing others' work?

I'm not trying to derail this thread into a flame war, I just find your constant negativity laughable, ESPECIALLY when the original poster here was obviously just trying to help the community.

-GK

kupo15

Smash Hero
Good post. I was thinking about making a similar thread. I have been playing since N64 and a couple weeks ago I realized that Smash is a "Fighting Game." Yea I know. Give me the weird looks that everyone else but let me explain.

For the longest time, I thought Smash was mostly about the Smash attacks and all. But I didn't realize that its all about the little hits with standard A and little moves that I thought were useless. The Smash attack should be used at the moment your opponent is open, whether they made a mistake or at the end of a combo. Its more annoying to get hit with Mario's AAA then when you try to approach you get nailed with the side tilt. Standard, easy fast attacks that I overlooked until I got more competitive in college.

Also, seeing that this is a video game, I lost track that what happens in a real fight also applies to Smash. An opponent can't attack you if you are behind them. This helped me a lot after realizing that I always get shield grabbed after a running attack or a SH air attack where I land in front of them. This could easily be avoided if I landed behind them like the original post said.

Just some little common sense stuff that gets thrown out the window when you are playing a virtual fighter.

PS No I was not bad before...I just overused the smash attacks and under appreciated the little moves. :p I think the game title has subliminal messages that makes you want to use the Smash attacks more than you should...:)

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
@yuna:

Sheesh. Have you ever heard the term "Black Swede"? It has nothing to do with race or skin color. As someone of Swedish descent myself, it's a term I've heard thrown around jokingly at various family gatherings over the years. It refers to a personality type, apparently common among us Swedish folks, where the person is solemn, depressed, and has a generally dark and negative about everything, and goes out of his or her way to make others feel the same way.

You, sir, are a black swede. In the entirety of my time at smashboards, I've only ever seen negative comments from you. Judging from your post count, that's a LOT of negativity. Give it a rest. Lighten up. Stop trying to bring people down. How about contributing something yourself instead of bashing others' work?

I'm not trying to derail this thread into a flame war, I just find your constant negativity laughable, ESPECIALLY when the original poster here was obviously just trying to help the community.

-GK

Yuna is just telling the idiots to stop posting.

Atrion

Smash Apprentice

Yuna is just trolling. He trashes every thread he goes into. There are just a whole lot of new players posting since brawls release. While its annoying it will die down.

This however wasnt one of those threads. Great post alex. Im sure this will be alot of help to most of the new players and even some of the old melee players who have forgotten about just playing smart.

GiantKiller

Smash Cadet
-Twin Drems
Except he's not.

The original post here in this thread was by no means idiotic. While it was long, it seemed coherent and well-constructed, and it was at the very least well-intended. Judging from the replies, lots of people seem to be finding it helpful, myself included. It's not a troll post, it's not spam, it's not off-topic, and it's not useless ranting. Why criticize when you have nothing constructive to add?

Just because a post isn't helpful to Yuna doesn't mean it's not helpful. Just because a post is too long for Yuna doesn't mean it's too long.

Besides, what good does it do to tell idiots to stop posting? True idiots don't listen to reason and by commenting on their idiocy you're only feeding them the attention they desire.

-GK

Ryuker

Smash Lord
I think it's good he posted it this way. For new players to comprehend such a advise you have to detail it and show them examples. If you just say do this they are at a a loss and most likely counter it with there notion of the game which they have a much clearer understanding of then just use your head advice. By explaining it in detail this way it forces the reader to read and start thinking about it. Most likely someone who reads this will get a better understanding of what we mean with play with your head and not just use the techniques you know then if the poster would just say that.

MysticalBanana

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the great advice! I started playing melee late and got sucked into the whole "advanced tech = skills" mindset. I wanted to get better quickly and forgot to learn the basics, so thanks for reminding me.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Yuna is just trolling. He trashes every thread he goes into. There are just a whole lot of new players posting since brawls release. While its annoying it will die down.

This however wasnt one of those threads. Great post alex. Im sure this will be alot of help to most of the new players and even some of the old melee players who have forgotten about just playing smart.

Yuna's Comment on the original Post was....

So basically you took what is essentially common sense (though not very common on these boards apparently) and made a long essay out of it? I'm just saying, you could've said that without making such a long wall of text.

Here he was saying that it could've been shorter. How was this in anyway trashing or trolling?

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
I think people are just pointing out that Yuna rarely has anything positive to say. The last half dozen posts I've read by him have all been quite negative. I'm not saying they aren't good posts, seeing how I frequently agree with his opinions, but they usually are unfriendly, bitter, or negative.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
I think people are just pointing out that Yuna rarely has anything positive to say. The last half dozen posts I've read by him have all been quite negative. I'm not saying they aren't good posts, seeing how I frequently agree with his opinions, but they usually are unfriendly, bitter, or negative.

If he only posts to refute arguments that he finds incorrect, then all of his posts WOULD be negative, wouldn't they? I find his posts hilarious.

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
He was not refuting any argument when posting in here. There was no need to criticize me for the length of my post. I was simply trying to help the smash community in a friendly way without calling people who aren't as knowledgable "scrubs" or "newbs"

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
He was not refuting any argument when posting in here. There was no need to criticize me for the length of my post. I was simply trying to help the smash community in a friendly way without calling people who aren't as knowledgable "scrubs" or "newbs"

There was a need to criticize. Because your opening post was long and repetitive, it warrants him saying so. Anytime anyone does anything, it is open to criticism. Why should you have criticized his, or my, criticism when we were just offering our honest opinions?

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
I decided to delete my original response because I really think taking this any further is not worth it. You guys totally have a justified right to voice your opinions. However, I spent a lot of time writing this in hopes of helping out both friends from school and the smash community. I hope you can understand my frustration when after putting in all this work, someone who is known for bringing others down consistently has nothing to say besides it is common sense and far too long.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
it is obvious to everyone that it is long...why do you feel the need to state something that is extremely obvious (it's long) while the vast majority of responses have been that the thread was extremely helpful? If you feel the need to find criticism in every little aspect of life, then that is really too bad my friend.

I totally defend your right to criticize is completely justified...but saying...

"There was a NEED to criticize" ....cmon...no need to be a negative nancy!

While most people viewed it as being helpful, there were a number of posts commenting on it's length, If I remember correctly, Not just Yuna's. Maybe you can view it as constructive criticism and try to make your next post that would be long in length shorter. Obviously, it was long enough for him to take the effort and post, which would indicate the need for it.

It, also, wasn't the fact that it was obviously long. It was the fact that it didn't have to be as long as it was.

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
While most people viewed it as being helpful, there were a number of posts commenting on it's length, If I remember correctly, Not just Yuna's.
I don't think a single person commented negatively about its length besides Yuna.

Banks

Smash Hero
The majority of players never improve that noticeably because they tend to focus on the wrong aspects of the game. They focus on their particular character and what moves they feel are good for their character, while ignoring the biggest hurdle that is preventing them from making giant leaps of improvement: the basics. These are the fundamentals that can be applied to every character in any smash brothers game.

When playing with various people I frequently hear someone say after just losing a stock, "****, I should have done ______" and they ponder what they should have done differently in that particular situation. What they SHOULD be thinking is, "how did I let myself get up to 150% before that last hit removed a stock"

When people ask Isai (undisputed best ssb and great ssbm player) what they should be doing differently he replies, "don't get hit". Because Isai is known for his eccentricity, most players laugh and shrug this invaluable piece of advice off. Azen is also noted for saying "don't jump into the ****" which is essentially the same piece of advice.

Friends, do not make the mistake of taking these words lightly. Think about them carefully. That being said, I believe these are the two most important aspects of any smash brothers game:

1) Spacing
2) Minimizing Risks

Spacing - One of the most common mistakes I see is that players will focus most of their attention on their own character, while looking at their opponent with their peripheral vision. This should be the opposite...why do you need to look at your own character that intently? You know what you are going to do...what you don't know is what your opponent is going to do. You can't space yourself properly if you aren't looking at your opponent.

The biggest hurdle to proper spacing is movement. Try watching a random youtube brawl video and notice the use of only THREE types of movement.

a)rolling
b)jumping towards the opponent
c)dashing

Let's say characters (A) and (B) are facing each other with a space in between them: (A)_______________(B) . Character (A) decides to perform a short hop aerial that has little lag towards (B). Most players will either roll or dash away. You can block as well, but let's say (A) is Marth who is spacing himself at a distance that you can't shield grab afterwards. What many people fail to consider is simply WALKING a half an inch away. Now you are in a position to execute any command at your disposal. By rolling, or dashing away...you cannot immediately execute another command until the rolling/dashing animation has finished. You have to realize this isn't a demonstration on what you should do in a particular situation, but it is only meant to illustrate the benefits of walking to properly space yourself. Walking can also be used to avoid dash attacks. Smash brothers registers such fine movements on the analog stick that many times it is hard to notice any change in movement and your opponent may just interpret that situation as a missed dash attack when in reality you spaced yourself by moving slightly out of its range. This also applies to jumping. When you do an aerial attack toward an opponent, you don't need to jam your analog stick all the way towards them. Brawl allows you to have a lot of aerial control so that you can allow yourself to hit them with the very tip of your attack, thus protecting your body as much as you can.

Now that you are no longer harnessed by the movement constraints of the predictable scrub, let's look at two common glaring instances of poor spacing. When an opponent has either fallen on the ground, or is hanging on the edge in a position that they are able to do a "get up-attack" , you constantly see people getting hit by their opponent attacking out of those defensive positions. People tend to face the dilemma of not wanting to get hit, but also wanting to be close enough to punish their attack. All this requires is carefully walking to the safest distance. Unfortunately, most people get hit...take the 7% (i don't know how much it really is) damage and shrug it off. Who cares it's only 7%. But it is these small attacks that add up to the final blow that takes your stock off.

Poor spacing leads to another big problem I see: spamming/committing to attacks. When players poorly space themselves and find themselves close to their opponent in a position they had not predicted, the mashing of buttons ensues. Avoid this at ALL costs, every command should be carefully executed and intentional. Furthermore, if you properly spaced yourself there is no need to panic and hit random buttons since you are at a safe distance from them (you ARE at a safe distance right?).

Also, you should never fully commit to an attack if your opponent has reacted differently than you intended. What I mean is you should never have a preconceived notion of what you are going to do, regardless of what your opponent is doing. You are probably thinking that you don't do this...but we are all of guilty of doing it one time or another. Let's go back to that first example of the two characters facing each other. Let's say as Marth you intend to do a f-air toward character (B) but at the last second you see (B)'s shield go up. Many players are unable to quickly make another decision so they decide to commit to their first intention of doing a fair, in which they will most likely get shield grabbed. Now let's turn the tables and say I am player (B) who is holding the block. Let's say that the Marth notices the shield go up and adjusts his attack so that the fair goes through the block and ends up on the opposite side of character (B). I don't know how many players I've done this to who still tries to shield grab despite me being on the opposite side of them. This is because they had the notion that they were going to shield grab and were unable to adjust when Marth ended up on the other side of them. Do not fall into this trap of committing to attacks too often. You should constantly be adjusting what you are doing in reaction to what your opponent is doing.

Minimizing Risks can probably be best illustrated with an example. Let's say Marth and Sheik are facing each other and Sheik is blocking. Bad Marth players are notorious for spamming his forward smash, but in this situation, it is the most risky command you can perform. The Sheik has 5 options while holding block. She can:

1) continue holding block
2) roll left
3) roll right
4) spot dodge
5) jump

Assuming that Sheik chooses at random what move to do, the only way you are going to connect is if she jumps. That means at random, you have an 80% chance of being punished for this decision. This usually translates to mainly relying on moves that don't have a lot of lag, but defensively this concept is invaluable. If you just got hit off the stage and your opponent is waiting for you to get back on, many players will try to time an aerial so they hit the person trying to edgeguard them. You take the risk of being sent even further off the stage, whereas it is MUCH less risky to wait for them to approach you and air dodge back on the stage.

On a side note, doing these things alone probably won't win you games. You need to find creative ways to hit your opponent. Forget about terms such as "mindgames", which gets thrown around way too often. Just worry about playing smart. The majority of youtube brawl videos I see look more like turnbased RPGs than smash brothers. One person attacks, then another person immediately approaches and attacks, and on and on. You need to be able to have enough control over your game that you can prevent yourself from immediately executing a command. This is why rolling works so well against so many players. Players are unable to pause even for a moment in their flurry of attacks and movements.

In order to combine these principles effectively, most people must abandon bad habits which initially will most likely make you perform worse. This also means that you will probably have to slow your game down. Furthermore, playing against computers nonchalantly reinforces committing to attacks, spamming, and poor spacing because they do not tend to punish you for your mistakes. You may have heard the popular phrase, "practice makes perfect". I do not agree entirely with this adage, but feel that Vince Lombardi was closer to the truth: "practice does not make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect". If you are going to practice against a computer, I find the most effective way to do this is by playing a level 1-3 (no higher) CPU and take it seriously. Make every move hit, and make sure every move is intentional. Don't worry about combos and flashiness. Worry about being in complete control of your character. Move around, put yourself in awkward situations. You don't have to constantly be attacking as if you were recording a combo video. Slow your game down and you will think of different things to do in different situations.

In summation...don't get hit.
you can beat that with lasers

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
After glancing through the topic, I only found one person that admitted to not reading the whole thing. However, that doesn't include the people the people that didn't even feel like reading at all when they immediately saw it.

th0rn

Smash Lord
LOL, you have to realize what most people do is spam projectiles... so spacing and mindgames go out the window. <3 Brawl

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
heh, hey banks and thorn...yeah...well, i do say they are the basics...and you still gotta be able to space yourself with projectiles

Banks

Smash Hero
mostly because punishment is not an option in this game, if u get past the projectile spam and get a grab or a hit u cant combo them, they can just get away and start spamming again rofl

we do think ur pointsis mostly tru tho lulz

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
pat pro was tellin me everyone on game battle uses marth and metaknight though..who can't use projectiles

you guys probably think posting that much about what is mostly common sense is silly...which it kind of is...but here at Umass Amherst i've been playing with nobody but newbs for the last 4 years. It doesn't matter how often I play certain people they just don't move very much...this was the only way I could think of to actually spell it out to people why they can't just stand still, roll, and spot dodge constantly. You guys are lucky that Maine is just so ill at smash...

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
pat pro was tellin me everyone on game battle uses marth and metaknight though..who can't use projectiles

you guys probably think posting that much about what is mostly common sense is silly...which it kind of is...but here at Umass Amherst i've been playing with nobody but newbs for the last 4 years. It doesn't matter how often I play certain people they just don't move very much...this was the only way I could think of to actually spell it out to people why they can't just stand still, roll, and spot dodge constantly.

The natural evolution of the competitive scene probably started out with Metaknight and Marth, expecting things to play the same as melee. However, it was quickly seen that camping can easily combat them. Now camping is the predominant strategy. Eventually, there may be something else, but for now, it's just camping.

Acidictadpole

Smash Cadet
Great Read. Valuable information for any smasher looking to improve.

It reminds me of The Karate Kid where Miagi tells Daniel to return to the basics of life when he loses focus. And it helps him gain focus again.. Although the movie was a little cheesy, that lesson is valuable for anyone wanting to be good at something.

Don't overthink.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
OHHhhhhhhhhhhh so to win at smash i dont get hit! nice brb

*turns on wii

Illussionary

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I'm afraid I've been focusing on the wrong aspects also. Thanks for the great advice, its less exciting but none the less I win more lol.

Banks

Smash Hero
while marth and meta knight are good, it takes far more effort to be as competent with them as a falco/pit/pika/whatever that can spam smartly. I would say if you take a good smash player, and give him an hour of practice as a good spamming character you can play with the best people in the world with favorable results. I've tried this and it works lol. playing as marth or something is a whole different thing because you have to account for having no projectiles etc and make up for that, which takes considerably more talent. I'm guessing the better players on gamebattles are all good players in general, therefore they can use whoever they please. On the other hand, I forsee a lot of frustration when the skill gap is closed because of the ease of spamming. As the game progresses strategies become more based on camping lol, or so i've seen so far.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
I think one problem people have is they use the big attacks too much. It is so easy to want to use the smash moves or these big B attacks, but they leave themselves wide open. It is generally better to use only the necessary amount of moves that lag like crazy.

I tell others don't even try to learn advanced techniques till you can learn how to avoid leaving yourself open with the moves you already know. The advanced techs are a way to gain an edge on those who already know how to reduce vulnerability.

chaotic002

Smash Apprentice
wow i learned why my friend might be beating me...yes i commit to attacks sometimes so i definitely needed to read this thread.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
while marth and meta knight are good, it takes far more effort to be as competent with them as a falco/pit/pika/whatever that can spam smartly. I would say if you take a good smash player, and give him an hour of practice as a good spamming character you can play with the best people in the world with favorable results. I've tried this and it works lol. playing as marth or something is a whole different thing because you have to account for having no projectiles etc and make up for that, which takes considerably more talent. I'm guessing the better players on gamebattles are all good players in general, therefore they can use whoever they please. On the other hand, I forsee a lot of frustration when the skill gap is closed because of the ease of spamming. As the game progresses strategies become more based on camping lol, or so i've seen so far.
Naw... people pick Marth, MK, Ike, and Snake probably cuz lag affects them the least.

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
This is a really good read. Surprisingly, haven't read such a thing like this on melee either. This should definitely help players trying to get out of the scrub zone.

while marth and meta knight are good, it takes far more effort to be as competent with them as a falco/pit/pika/whatever that can spam smartly.
IMO, you just have to know how to use Marth from Melee to be good with him which isn't too much of a deal. And Metaknight is cheap and easy to use... Walk up. Ftilt. Space it right, you win.

Finch

Smash Lord
Wow, Yuna's a *****. This is not that long. Anyone complaining about the length needs to work on their literacy. Also, this not repetitive at all. I found like one sentence that was redundant, and it was just reiterating a point. Saying this is common sense and everyone is saying this is bull**** as well. I have read a thousand posts on spacing and whatnot and none of those said the things this post is saying. Really insightful stuff. Good job.

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
TC you are my right in so many ways the reason i get beat so easily sometimes is because i always commit to a move before assessing the situation beforehand...an example is simple for me when my brother plays as snake he reads me so clearly by knowing when im going to roll or spotdodge and he catches me with a Fsmash and since i do it too frequently it nabs him an easy kill so today i tried this strategy and it was very difficult for me to not do my normal routine (and mind you i was going against a lvl 2 comp) but it slowed down my game tremendously so i have to "relearn" some characters and whatnot but this will undoubtedly make me adapt to others playstyles and that has always been a problem for me.anyways before you guys tell me to shut up lol lemme just say thanks and keep the advice coming

Top Bottom